Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okua
Oct 30, 2016

Does anybody know of a good, or at least readable/watchable LP of Cruelty Squad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Okua posted:

readable/watchable LP of Cruelty Squad?

Have you seen Cruelty Squad? I enjoyed the game but it was barely watchable even when playing it myself.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Okua posted:

Does anybody know of a good, or at least readable/watchable LP of Cruelty Squad?
There's a recent one, but I have no idea how far it got since I stopped watching early on to play it for myself.

Watchability not guaranteed but that's really the problem of the game.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 24, 2023

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

anilEhilated posted:

There's a recent one, but I have no idea how far it got since I stopped watching early on to play it forf myself.

Watchability not guaranteed but that's really the problem of the game.
This was a really good LP. I'd definitely say this is top notch watchable (relative to the watchability of Cruelty Squad).

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I normally wouldn't bother to announce this but I have been extraordinarily busy the last couple months so I just got the list caught up on the last three months or so of requests, updates, etc. In the interest of fairness I will leave everything up an extra month before I purge it off the request list, but there's a lot of open space up there now.

And since I'm here, I'd like to see someone tackle Soul Hackers 2 since it looks extremely my poo poo but by almost all accounts is boring as hell and I'd love to see how they accomplished that.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
You know what I just realized I want to see?

LP's of Battlespire and Redguard.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

PurpleXVI posted:

I have thought about doing Redguard for the fun of it, it's a game that I remember fondly when I was younger and even bought it on GOG a couple of years ago. But it does have some commonly reported performance issues, unfortunately. From what I've read, Dosbox can't handle it, which may be down to it needing to use DOS and Windows to function properly. For an SSLP it's not a problem if things are running slow but there may be some issues when playing the game itself when it comes to the fighting and platforming sequences. I've taken people's suggestions with editing the config files and such and it's definitely playable for me at low resolutions and with the graphics turned down. There isn't an option to run the GOG version in software mode either, which may be a blessing as I believe there is a bug in the software mode which means that you can't complete the game.

I've tried using PCem to run the game on Windows 98 and still had performance issues there. That might be down to not allocating enough resources to the emulation or it might be down to it using too many resources in general, I haven't done enough testing there to find out.

I'm all up for anyone doing an LP of Redguard, just be prepared that it may need a lot of tweaking to get working effectively.

I've just fired up the game and it runs fine on 800x600 with everything turned down to the minimal settings, when I edited DOSBox to increase the window to 1024x768 the game started slowing down then speeding up repeatedly.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

PurpleXVI posted:

I own Battlespire for some reason. I think it's because I got it on sale for like 20 cents on GoG one day and I heard it was jank as hell. And it is.

...I am not the one to LP it though, I'd say.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I had the cardboard box version of Battlespire back in the day, before cleaning out my closets since I realized I was never actually gonna play any of those games and they were taking up a ton of space(I still kind of regret it sometimes, but I'm like that about throwing anything out), but I'd like someone else to LP it because once I finish up Gothic 3 I'm kind of out of bad ideas for LP's and if someone else snags Battlespire before I do, it would prevent me from making that mistake.

For Redguard, I played a cracked version back in the day because my dad knew someone who literally sold these huge custom-made sheets full of CD's of cracked games(usually with stuff like voice acting and cutscenes stripped out to save space), and I'm kind of curious whether there was actually a good game past the hosed up version my kid brain couldn't figure out.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I want to see a LP of Subspace Emissary from Smash Bros. Brawl. Nothing else from Brawl, just the weird, voice-less story mode.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'd like to see an LP of Perimeter, the slightly unusual RTS from the early 2000s that inspired Creeper World.

I'd especially be interested if someone did it using the update that's on Github after the code was made open source. However, that involves compiling it from source, so not something worth doing unless that phrase doesn't bother you. (Note that you still need a copy of the game for the graphics & other assets, but it's usually dirt-cheap).

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
I remember enjoying what I played of the Wii's own bargain-bin Tales lookalike Arc Rise Fantasia back in the day but never quite finished it, would be neat to see what I missed via an LP!

going to also request smth for Gnosia now that the previous LP attempt of it seems to have died off, if that counts?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I'd like to see a LP of Terrain of Magical Expertise, which is one of those Mario & Luigi-ish RPGs with action commands and the like. I don't have the reflexes to be much good at it myself.

Interesting points about ToME would be:
- The director, lead designer and character animator is Chris Niosi, who some folks here probably know from various anime. (For example, he voices Reigen in the dub of Mob Psycho 100.)
- Because ToME is an MMO setting, there's a lot of NPCs. A lot of them are Kickstarter backers; lower tiers got to submit background characters, moving up from there to NPCs with dialogue, and even actual one-off opponents and bosses. (There's actually a character of mine chilling somewhere, which is another reason I'd like to see this played.)
- It's a whole separate continuity from the web series, to the point where most of the characters are recast in terms of voice actors. So there's no need to worry about knowing anything about that.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The only thing I know Chris Niosi for is playing the gormless protagonist from YIIK.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

The thing I best know Chris Niosi for is not voicing male Byleth in Fire Emblem: Three Houses because he broke an NDA (and maybe also for various forms of general and specific unpleasantness).

Speaking of that though, I don’t think I’ve seen any LP of Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes, the musou-game spinoff of that.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I've been on an undersea media kick lately, and I remembered how much I enjoyed Double Negative's LP of Subnautica.

Can anyone recommend a good LP for its sequel, Subnautica: Below Zero?

I saw that it was on the list of pending requests - consider this a +1 for that! I'd love to see it played.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Our cup currently runneth over for good RTS LPs at the moment. two ongoing right now. both SSLP. both are covering the campaigns but being supplemented with detailed history of units and development, as well as breakdowns of use in multiplayer and overall strategies.

Age of Empires II Definitive Edition and EVERY expansion (pending Return of Rome planned as well) by Jossar: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027996&pagenumber=10&perpage=40

Starcraft Remastered by JohnKilltrane: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3965681&pagenumber=34&perpage=40

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sally posted:

Our cup currently runneth over for good RTS LPs at the moment. two ongoing right now. both SSLP. both are covering the campaigns but being supplemented with detailed history of units and development, as well as breakdowns of use in multiplayer and overall strategies.

Age of Empires II Definitive Edition and EVERY expansion (pending Return of Rome planned as well) by Jossar: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027996&pagenumber=10&perpage=40

Starcraft Remastered by JohnKilltrane: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3965681&pagenumber=34&perpage=40

OK. But what's your request, Admin Sally?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

clearly it must be a requomendation

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Sally posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4001484 Don't forget Cythereal's massive Warcraft 1, 2, Beyond the Dark Portal and eventually 3 and Frozen Throne LP.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I understand that a video LP of Dwarf Fortress on Steam might be a terrible idea, but can someone recommend even some super-casual gameplay video for someone extremely on the fence about the game? Thank you!

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Hirayuki posted:

I understand that a video LP of Dwarf Fortress on Steam might be a terrible idea, but can someone recommend even some super-casual gameplay video for someone extremely on the fence about the game? Thank you!

I haven't watched that much of them, but I remember people in the dedicated thread for it speaking well about BlindIRL's DF videos.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Arcvasti posted:

I haven't watched that much of them, but I remember people in the dedicated thread for it speaking well about BlindIRL's DF videos.
Perfect! Thanks very much. :tipshat:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Hirayuki posted:

There are a few people on youtube who do very good but heavily edited video LPs for DF. Not sure if that fits your bill, as they aren't exactly showing all the steps in the sausage making process.

Hoodie Hair makes brief, single topic videos. There's no overarching narrative, just someone telling short stories about weird things that happen, or are made to happen, in Dwarf Fortress. Steam version stuff starts with the tale of the prized Nazush.

Kruggsmash is probably the biggest name in the tiny subculture that is DF videos. They do longer narrative series, with hand drawn art for major events. It's a bit ... pretentious, I suppose, but very well done. Steam version stuff starts with the tale of Nörktorad.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have any recommendations for modern channels that mainly do Let's Plays of retro games? I kinda wanna see how people handle doing videos of older, simpler games nowadays.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Kheldarn posted:

Third post in the thread. This is the request and recommendations thread :colbert: The two were combined so that we would have one fewer sticky thread in SALP.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Kheldarn posted:

But if you're offering, no one ever did the SEGA Saturn's Bugsy knock-offs: Bug and Bug Too.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sally posted:

But if you're offering, no one ever did the SEGA Saturn's Bugsy knock-offs: Bug and Bug Too.

Oh wow. I forgot those even existed. I remember going into a Toys 'R Us to play with the demo Saturn, to see how I felt about it, and Bug was the game you could try. I remember liking what I played of the demo, but in the end, I never got a Saturn, so I never saw where it went.

I'd love to see LPs of these, too!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Xerophyte posted:

There are a few people on youtube who do very good but heavily edited video LPs for DF. Not sure if that fits your bill, as they aren't exactly showing all the steps in the sausage making process.
Thanks for these, too. While it's nice to watch a "getting started" series, it's good to know what you're potentially getting into beyond the early basics, so some broader overview-type videos will help with that. I'm really drawn to DF while also finding it incredibly intimidating with its details and granularity; maybe a combo of "here's the vast insanity of DF" plus "here's the tiny manageable start that kicked it all off" will convince me to just buy the drat thing already. Or scare me off for good--who knows?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Jamesman posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for modern channels that mainly do Let's Plays of retro games? I kinda wanna see how people handle doing videos of older, simpler games nowadays.

Kikoskia, on Youtube. He does a lot of streaming these days but there's more than a decade of content on his channel that's mostly retro stuff.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Black Robe posted:

Kikoskia, on Youtube. He does a lot of streaming these days but there's more than a decade of content on his channel that's mostly retro stuff.

I've already been following them for a very, very long time. Absolutely pleasant fellow.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm going to request games I kinda want to LP so I don't actually have to LP them.

Crystal Project - A combination of a voxel open-world platformer meets FF5-style JRPG with job system. Really solid battle system with almost-perfect information with a variety of FF-inspired jobs scattered in a rather nonlinear open world.

Phoentopia: Awakening - One of my absolute favorite games that has slid far below the radar. It's basically a spiritual successor to Zelda 2, with tons of secrets and puzzles and other content among a charming cast of characters and decent story. I really love this game and hope someone can really do it justice.

Pokemon Infinite Fusion - This should be an easy one for anyone who wants to break into LPing. RPG Maker engine Pokemon game with a really cool gimmick of fusing two Pokemon together. Tons of potential for thread participation, and the custom sprites alone will get plenty of attention. I really recommend this if you want to start out as an LPer as it's an easy way to get attention between being a Pokemon game and the various sprites, and as a bonus the fusions are diverse enough that multiple people could get away with LPing this game at once.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Mega64 posted:

I'm going to request games I kinda want to LP so I don't actually have to LP them.

Crystal Project - A combination of a voxel open-world platformer meets FF5-style JRPG with job system. Really solid battle system with almost-perfect information with a variety of FF-inspired jobs scattered in a rather nonlinear open world.

Oh gently caress, don't tempt me. I've just managed to stop being addicted to Crystal Project randomizer runs.

I know some people bounce off it because of the very limited worldbuilding and plot, but I loved it just for the mechanics which are really the heart of it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

Phoentopia: Awakening - One of my absolute favorite games that has slid far below the radar. It's basically a spiritual successor to Zelda 2, with tons of secrets and puzzles and other content among a charming cast of characters and decent story. I really love this game and hope someone can really do it justice.

Thanks for making me aware of this, this game looks amazing. My LP-creating days are likely over, but at least I have a new game for my wishlist!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Thanks for making me aware of this, this game looks amazing. My LP-creating days are likely over, but at least I have a new game for my wishlist!

Happy to make the suggestion just for this, if nothing else! My vote for most underrated game of this gen. Hell knows I've praised this game endlessly in the Switch thread.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Pokemon Infinite Fusion - This should be an easy one for anyone who wants to break into LPing. RPG Maker engine Pokemon game with a really cool gimmick of fusing two Pokemon together. Tons of potential for thread participation, and the custom sprites alone will get plenty of attention. I really recommend this if you want to start out as an LPer as it's an easy way to get attention between being a Pokemon game and the various sprites, and as a bonus the fusions are diverse enough that multiple people could get away with LPing this game at once.

Someone please pick these up so that Mega64 can start an LP of Octopath Traveler II!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

That'll be coming in a couple months or so.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mega64 posted:

That'll be coming in a couple months or so.

Oh, so after your Stranger Of Paradise LP. Nice! :razz:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

Oh, so after your Stranger Of Paradise Xenoblade X LP. Nice! :razz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

anyone have recs for ocarina of time, majora's mask, or wind waker? preferably not blind