Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

wernox posted:

Watching my kids struggle with some of the same rear end-hattery is hard too, plus now the older one can go to bars with me and its very tough on my tab.

I worry about this a lot too, knowing how much good advice I ignored in my 20s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think that’s kinda just how it goes. You can only suggest and support but you can’t really make anyone do anything. I tell that to my students all the time. The kids who do what I suggest in terms of showing work and writing things out even though they could do it in their head so significantly better than those that don’t. That’s just one particular example but it serves the “man I know the better way, why won’t you just listen” aspect of the conversation.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Mike_V posted:

As a prof at a commuter university part of the UW system, I can confirm that simply showing up to class and turning in work will guarantee you at least a B-.

Facts! I'm literally just trying to get my kids to learn this asap. I was great at it in high school and not so great for awhile in college (didn't help that my first degree choices were not good or interesting to me).

edit: I was wondering too what someone could have said to me when I was younger, probably nothing. I really wanted to learn lessons on my own, the hard way.

downout fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 8, 2023

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

wernox posted:

Watching my kids struggle with some of the same rear end-hattery is hard too, plus now the older one can go to bars with me and its very tough on my tab.

Oh man. My kid is only a toddler, but both me and my wife were kinda college gently caress ups. Both graduated, and now have at least one master a piece, but man I kinda fear what the kiddo may do if she's like he parents were in college turned up just one or two notches.

I did eventually kinda pull my head out of my rear end in undergrad after nearly failing out.

The funniest bit was learning in adulthood that my mom failed out of nursing school and spent a year or so after living with her older sister just partying before going back and ending up with multiple masters. So it's a family tradition at this point.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/ChrisMWilliams/status/1655684476691726337

wuh-oh, some of the college baseball gambling shenanigans seems to be pulling up a lot more poo poo

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I assume a ton of college athletes are gambling (not necessarily on their own stuff, but just in general)

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisMWilliams/status/1655684476691726337

wuh-oh, some of the college baseball gambling shenanigans seems to be pulling up a lot more poo poo

Oh great. I’m sure this poo poo is beat into their heads, but I guess constantly seeing ads for gambling is a tough thing to beat.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1655707512568438784

yeah this seems like it is gonna be A Thing

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Everybody's in it and thus nobody's in it so I don't see much meaningful punishment coming from it

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Maybe the NCAA will cut back on gambling advert… lol.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Please check Iowa betting the unders tyvm

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I partied my way through five years of wasting my parents' money. Ended up having to go to work in shipyards and chemical plants, then an Army stint, then back to the industrial poo poo.

When I got a second chance at school, I did not gently caress around.

Just to screw with my father, I had a bumper sticker custom made and slapped it on his truck without his knowledge.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

GD_American posted:

I partied my way through five years of wasting my parents' money. Ended up having to go to work in shipyards and chemical plants, then an Army stint, then back to the industrial poo poo.

Just to screw with my father, I had a bumper sticker custom made and slapped it on his truck without his knowledge.

this makes me so loving happy. good job gd_a

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The gambling conversation interesting with the "college kids are stupid" conversation seems serendipitous. Set aside the issue of athlete compensation or the schools taking the bookmakers' money, of course this was going to happen! Kids love doing stupid poo poo 24/7! I failed to graduate from Auburn! It's really hard to fall at that!
Lmao I wish I had seen this in the wild one day

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

GD_American posted:

Fuckin lol

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

That comes back to a favorite saw of the SZD guys, which is, nobody’s in charge. Not the same way as with the pro leagues, certainly. Because who do you mean will “cut back” - the NCAA (they have no responsibilities), the conferences, the schools, the athletic departments, the TV networks?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

GD_American posted:

gently caress I love this. May have to make something similar for my folks.

harperdc posted:

That comes back to a favorite saw of the SZD guys, which is, nobody’s in charge. Not the same way as with the pro leagues, certainly. Because who do you mean will “cut back” - the NCAA (they have no responsibilities), the conferences, the schools, the athletic departments, the TV networks?

They’re a cartel whose exported product is TV timeouts.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Dango Bango posted:

I think you could make an argument for Crabtree with how dominant he was in college.

That's what makes me angry. We've got some phenomenal players in our past and you could bring in "that one guy" depending on what the strengths of the team are.

But you will never be able to add more than Pat Mahomes. Crabtree + whatever QB we have? Not as good as Mahomes + whatever receivers we have. Wes Welker? He could not be stopped. But Pat Mahomes is still the better add. Jace Amaro was a cheat code in college, but imagine what Amaro could have been had he stuck around for his Jr & Sr seasons for some overlap with Mahomes. Now realize that that is because it's Mahomes.

No point in adding a RB. Donny Anderson was ahead of his time. Bam Morris won the Doak Walker in '93. It's not even worth it.

Can't even consider going defense. Zach Tomas? An NFL hall of famer in his own right. Gabe Rivera, aka senior sack, had the potential to be a HoF player himself until he paralyzed himself driving drunk. Dwayne Slay would be a liability if you put him out there with today's targeting rules, but he was as dominant a strong safety as they come in his era. Tyree Wilson was a top 10 pick this year and was fantastically disruptive before he was hurt, but the team won all of the games after his injury. None are worth passing up Mahomes for because none change the aspect of the game quite like he does.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

harperdc posted:

I remember a few years ago some coach said there needed to be a College Football Czar, and I was like "motherfucker, we have the NCAA already." Nobody ACTUALLY wants to be responsible for the ins and outs of college athletics - why do you think every pro league commissioner is booed?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Edward Mass posted:

I remember a few years ago some coach said there needed to be a College Football Czar, and I was like "motherfucker, we have the NCAA already." Nobody ACTUALLY wants to be responsible for the ins and outs of college athletics - why do you think every pro league commissioner is booed?

Say what you will about him but Mark Emmert was the perfectly hateable face to lead the NCAA. You could not engineer someone more dislikeable in a lab. And that's before he even opens his mouth to speak.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

harperdc posted:

I would imagine the NCAA could make a rule that no gambling ads can be shown during games and then the conferences and schools would make it work. No one wants to do that because money though. I’d imagine an act of Congress will come before the ncaa voluntarily does anything though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

No one wants to do that because money though.

Yeah, this is the problem. Conferences and schools aren’t turning down free money, and of course the broadcasters already have that coming for other sports.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

drunk leprechaun posted:

Oh man. My kid is only a toddler, but both me and my wife were kinda college gently caress ups. Both graduated, and now have at least one master a piece, but man I kinda fear what the kiddo may do if she's like he parents were in college turned up just one or two notches.

I did eventually kinda pull my head out of my rear end in undergrad after nearly failing out.

The funniest bit was learning in adulthood that my mom failed out of nursing school and spent a year or so after living with her older sister just partying before going back and ending up with multiple masters. So it's a family tradition at this point.

My middle kid, who was in 10th grade when the lost half a school year to Covid and never really recovered is struggling the hardest. She understands the material fine, but her habits are completely broken by having the last two plus years as school light. It doesn't do any good to yell at her, and I'm living proof that there are second chances, but I do remind her that this is her only chance at doing it the way she claims to love so much. She fucks this up and she'll be a the local satellite campus and working at Taco Bell.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I'm starting to think I'm the outlier in this group because I got my degree in 4 years and immediately went to work using that degree. I kind of wish I took more time off after college, I did take about a month, but I wish I had waited like two, and taken a second trip someplace. I have some friends that did Peace Corps, and sometimes I think I should've done that, but I don't know if I could've handled all that. I was definitely anxious about waiting too long to start work after college, I always figured I needed to get to work right away, otherwise I might not have any opportunities if I took too much time off. Oh well, can't change it now.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Oh great. I’m sure this poo poo is beat into their heads, but I guess constantly seeing ads for gambling is a tough thing to beat.

I love gambling but boy do I hate the constant and total bombardment of gambling advertising.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sash! posted:

I love gambling but boy do I hate the constant and total bombardment of gambling advertising.

This.

I'm fine with gambling, if you want to gamble and you don't have a problem go for it. You will be able to find ways to do it, I guarantee.

I don't need to see ads for it if I want to do it, and if I don't want to do it I really don't need to see every other ad in the world being about it.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Sash! posted:

Exact same. I love gambling, I have a good relationship with it (in that I only do it once or twice a year), but it’s something I could never in good conscience recommend to someone which is basically what advertising is. There’s a reason every single gambling ad sourced from Nevada is mandated to include easily-visible information about getting help for a gambling problem.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

If you want gambling ads to stop, then you need to stop gambling.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

A much more effective way for gambling ads to stop would be legislation, not some guy who flies out to Vegas once a year to give that up.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Cigarette advertising was banned over 30 years ago, and while obviously many people continued to smoke, it has virtually been eliminated from most demographics under the age of 40. The constant barrage of sports betting ads is really annoying, although I'm not sure banning the ads is the right choice. We'd probably be better off as a society if we banned ads for supermassive SUVs and pickup trucks.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

I'm starting to think I'm the outlier in this group because I got my degree in 4 years and immediately went to work using that degree.

I made it through as well. But it wasn't always pretty, and I fully believe the college-at-40 anecdotes. I'm much more responsible now.

https://twitter.com/ByPatForde/status/1655642492346195971?s=20

Neighborhood lawncare dominance sounds like Harbaugh's thing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I'm starting to think I'm the outlier in this group because I got my degree in 4 years and immediately went to work using that degree. I kind of wish I took more time off after college, I did take about a month, but I wish I had waited like two, and taken a second trip someplace. I have some friends that did Peace Corps, and sometimes I think I should've done that, but I don't know if I could've handled all that. I was definitely anxious about waiting too long to start work after college, I always figured I needed to get to work right away, otherwise I might not have any opportunities if I took too much time off. Oh well, can't change it now.

I got a double bachelor’s in just under four years, took the better part of half a year to find a job, then flushed out of it another half a year later :v: pretty sure anyone in the class of 2008 is going to have that trauma.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

It would be nice.

But probably the only way to stop the athletes and staff from doing it is to find evidence of betting on games they're involved in and bring the hammer down. Even then, I dunno. The NCAA doesn't have a lot of leverage over a lot of athletes. Most of them aren't making 6 figures on NIL deals.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

LLCoolJD posted:

I made it through as well. But it wasn't always pretty, and I fully believe the college-at-40 anecdotes. I'm much more responsible now.

https://twitter.com/ByPatForde/status/1655642492346195971?s=20

Neighborhood lawncare dominance sounds like Harbaugh's thing.

Did my part weeks ago when I ordered Lawn Mowing Simulator on Steam

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
"In my humble opinion, God is not quite filling his quota on athletic 330-pound guys that can play defensive tackle." - Harbaugh

love this

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I did fine at undergrad but I would have done better had I done it somewhat later in life, I think. It also put me off school forever. gently caress going back. I like learning poo poo but I didn't like school.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

It would be nice.

But probably the only way to stop the athletes and staff from doing it is to find evidence of betting on games they're involved in and bring the hammer down. Even then, I dunno. The NCAA doesn't have a lot of leverage over a lot of athletes. Most of them aren't making 6 figures on NIL deals.

Alabama’s baseball coach just got caught doing this so we should see a reaction pretty soon. He was fired but the NCAA and SEC are still investigating.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Judgy Fucker posted:

A much more effective way for gambling ads to stop would be legislation, not some guy who flies out to Vegas once a year to give that up.

Considering we are in the position because SCOTUS over turned the gambling ban, good luck with that.

Komet posted:

Cigarette advertising was banned over 30 years ago, and while obviously many people continued to smoke, it has virtually been eliminated from most demographics under the age of 40. The constant barrage of sports betting ads is really annoying, although I'm not sure banning the ads is the right choice. We'd probably be better off as a society if we banned ads for supermassive SUVs and pickup trucks.

If tobacco companies tried to overturn the advert ban in court in 2023, even money they would win

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

drunk leprechaun posted:

The VTGOONS did you no favors but maybe the frat had more to do with that than we did.

Proud of ya buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I had no idea there were so many other academic wanderers around here.

Probably the best summation of my experience with young adult ennui was captured by Jon Bois in his article making fun of Urban Meyer’s sad golf cart pizza.

Worth a read if you haven’t checked it out (along with some reader contribution), but the first few paragraphs sparked a flame of recognition.

Jon Bois posted:

In the fall of 2001, I was 18 years old with a brand-new adulthood that I had no idea what to do with. I was pretty sure I was supposed to be in college, but I dropped myself a few hints that I had no business being there at all. This Sad Vehicle Meal story was perhaps the strongest hint of all.

I was commuting to the University of Louisville campus from a half-hour away, and since I didn't have planning skills, I was left with a terribly inefficient schedule: one class at 8 a.m., one at 1 p.m. and one at 5:30 p.m., with a lot of sitting around in between. I was also, for no particular reason, staying up until four or five in the morning. I definitely wasn't studying.

A few weeks into the semester, I dragged myself out of bed and started my drive. As I neared the expressway, I was growing seriously concerned that I would fall asleep at the wheel, so I pulled over and stopped in a Kroger parking lot. "I gotta take a nap. I'll just miss my first class." That was about 7 a.m.

I woke up a little after 1 p.m. I'd somehow managed to sleep six hours, completely uninterrupted, in a 1990 Oldsmobile with a leather interior that was baking under the sun. As I started my car, I realized that I wasn't going to make my second class. I didn't really drive to a particular place. I just drove. I thought back on a moment from my childhood. I was playing some sort of role-playing game. I had lost all my weapons and wasn't on any sort of quest. My friend laughed at me. "You're just a man!" he said. "You're just a guy! You're just a walking guy!" At this moment I wasn't really anything. I wasn't a kid. I didn't have any sort of career. I didn't belong to any association of any kind. I couldn't call myself a student, because a student attends class. I was just "a guy."

I stopped at a Fazoli's, an Italian fast-food restaurant, that was only sort of on the way to the school. I ordered a giant meatball sub from the drive-thru, ate half of it in the parking lot, and felt tired all over again.

And then it was 6 p.m, and I realized that I had fallen asleep for another four hours. How? I had missed my third and final class. That day was an 11-hour day. I had spent 10 of those hours asleep in not one, but two, parking lots. I drove home. I dropped out of school a short time later, never to return, and held a $7/hour job for the next four years, wearing a name tag that, if nothing else, guaranteed that I was something more than "a guy." The remainder of my sandwich was hours old, and smelled terrible.