Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
This just happened

https://twitter.com/AadeshGindodiya/status/1655726159517065218?t=gwPlpMR8vdyQ6KbDeQIk5Q&s=19

Things have been brewing for a while, I already read somebody from Canada predicted that this likely would happen and Beijing has already promised will kick one Canadian diploma in response.

Basically more Canadian domestic election drama spillover to more anti China posturing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Aside from the actual ambassador, a couple support clerks and the cleaner the rest of every embassy everywhere is just a pack of spies anyway.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

this witch hunt had its genesis in an op ed written in one of the neolib newspapers by an anonymous spook basically accusing every ethnic chinese canadian politician of being "CCP spies" and before that accusing every chinese canadian of dual loyalties because they're easily brainwashed or something lol

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

yellowcar posted:

this witch hunt had its genesis in an op ed written in one of the neolib newspapers by an anonymous spook basically accusing every ethnic chinese canadian politician of being "CCP spies" and before that accusing every chinese canadian of dual loyalties because they're easily brainwashed or something lol

One hiding under every bed and hiding in every closet.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Aside from the actual ambassador, a couple support clerks and the cleaner the rest of every embassy everywhere is just a pack of spies anyway.

ambassadors are sometimes also the station chief

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

i thought about asking the embassy for a flag and maybe some of xi's books but now is probably not the time lest i get put on a purge list or something lol

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

yellowcar posted:

i thought about asking the embassy for a flag and maybe some of xi's books but now is probably not the time lest i get put on a purge list or something lol

this is not the way of the warrior lol

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

i'll just have to be the online warrior

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

time to return to the old ways :filez:

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Anyone got any deets on how hiring works in China? I'm wondering if it's occasionally better there, even if alot of the times it probably isn't.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

thechosenone posted:

Anyone got any deets on how hiring works in China? I'm wondering if it's occasionally better there, even if alot of the times it probably isn't.

what do you mean? a company will put out a job listing and then potential employees contact them and send in their resume and they do interviews

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

i think they meant being hired as a foreigner to work in china

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Spergin Morlock posted:

not sure if its true but i've heard the reason was that serbia gave china pieces of the f-117 they shot down, and they were keeping them at the embassy for transport.

this is also what i believe is the most plausible reason

alternate reasons include that they were running signals intelligence for serbia (which honestly doesnt seem to rise to the level of importance of bombing an embassy) or that america specifically wanted to kill the journalists there documenting NATO warcrimes (also seems like a bit much but honestly more plausible than the former reason)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

eSports Chaebol posted:

this is also what i believe is the most plausible reason

alternate reasons include that they were running signals intelligence for serbia (which honestly doesnt seem to rise to the level of importance of bombing an embassy) or that america specifically wanted to kill the journalists there documenting NATO warcrimes (also seems like a bit much but honestly more plausible than the former reason)

Could be killing a few birds with one stone.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Interesting thread about the Pakistan movement

https://twitter.com/trkh_khbr/status/1645868007988805637

Juicy details

https://twitter.com/trkh_khbr/status/1645868033012031489
https://twitter.com/trkh_khbr/status/1645868036342312962

https://twitter.com/trkh_khbr/status/1645868039802585088
https://twitter.com/trkh_khbr/status/1645868045406195712

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

thechosenone posted:

probably a lot harder now that they're not looking for anyone to teach english anymore but your best bet is probably still to check the embassy or your local secret chinese police station

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

stephenthinkpad posted:

Not just guards, Ming emperor's eunuch secret police, hilarious.

that video made me start looking for old stephen chow movies, and if you haven't seen it, Hail the Judge is a great one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wGNVcflAI8

the subs aren't great, so idk if it is that funny if you don't understand cantonese, but it's got stephen chow as a corrupt magistrate who gets owned when he finally tries to do something good and defend an innocent woman who is framed for killing her family. he ends up holing up in a whorehouse and learning how to argue from the madam and subsequently returns to clear the innocent woman in a dramatic legal battle in court.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Indian twitter is thirsty, water is wet.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

wow, you are telling me that the intellectual project of a pack of landlords in the United Provinces of the Raj was reactionary and backwards? Yeah the ethnic strife is an easy way of suppressing class struggle.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/rapplerdotcom/status/1655854886599155712

lol christ this is so pathetic

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

Indian twitter is thirsty, water is wet.

more people should stand up to modi by wearing attractive indian dresses

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

thechosenone posted:

If you don't speak Chinese: Are you working for an MNC with offices in China, preferably in a specialized or management role? Speak with your boss about a transfer to the China office.

If you do speak Chinese: Go to 51jobs and look for something that matches your skills. You'll probably need to be at least a manager, and hopefully have some specific skill set that's needed by the company and hard to find locally.

If you're insanely desperate: Find some kind of job that will get you into China and then literally go around doing as much networking as you possibly can until someone relents and tries to hire you.

Failing that go to your embassy or consulate in China and beg to be a super junior staff member who's not in the foreign service track. If you're lucky, you now get to stand at a counter and process visa applications.

It's generally kinda hard at the moment (unless you're already in country) if you're not an internal hire because they have shifted to a points based visa system, and if you don't speak Chinese you have an uphill battle go get enough points to qualify for a visa in the first place. The only easy way to get the visa is to be upper middle or senior management (think: leader of a function or somebody with a P&L they're responsible for) because then you get into the expert track of visas

E: Oh yeah, if you've got money to throw around look for a Master's degree program or something and try to find a job placement after graduating. You could go for something cheaper with an intensive language training program (been awhile since I checked on this but Fudan used to offer like an 18-24 month program) and that can also help but you'll need professional skills before that

Telluric Whistler has issued a correction as of 10:28 on May 9, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'm still drat fascinated by the whole process of the last of the Qing dynasty and how it's no wonder how a country gets carved up by foreign powers when the nominal supreme ruler is living in The Truman Show. Which I'm guessing has happened a few times in the history of China and makes it little wonder it kept on collapsing.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol christ this is so pathetic

#LeniWarnedUs

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

DancingShade posted:

They also have computer janitors who graduated from sigint in the military. Who spend their time moderating the forums and managing the goonfleet in Eve.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Truga posted:

they put a god dang gay pagoda in nanchang

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1655963369537413121?s=20

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
im gay khan

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/MusaNV18/status/1655965387316502532

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
and imran
imran so far away
i just imran, imran all night and day
i couldn't get away

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

imran ban

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

:(

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

do they just want to inflame the protests even more whats the point of such a stupid move

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

HallelujahLee posted:

do they just want to inflame the protests even more whats the point of such a stupid move
well if people are dead they cant protest anymore, and if people dont want to die they might also stop protesting.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm still drat fascinated by the whole process of the last of the Qing dynasty and how it's no wonder how a country gets carved up by foreign powers when the nominal supreme ruler is living in The Truman Show. Which I'm guessing has happened a few times in the history of China and makes it little wonder it kept on collapsing.

Until the quashing of the 1857 rebellion the ruler of the mughal empire was the mughal emperor who graciously let the East India Company handle the revenues of his provinces.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

HallelujahLee posted:

a chunk of the ocuntry is still recovering from flood damage, no one gives a poo poo OP

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah subcontinental cops still have the anglo training for repressing rioting peasants. Its why unlike in the USofA politicians bully the cops.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
you could generally rely on pakistan's elite/urban middle classes to back the army in all situations but even that support seems to have vaporized because of what they've done to Imran. all to please america lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

thechosenone posted:

if you can touch computers, and especially if you have a security background, bytedance is hiring and could be a way to get your foot in the door