Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Wikipedia says Venti was used as an example by the government of what not to do in portraying men as effeminate, so yeah I think they have to be pretty careful with the wink nudge stuff.

Can't wait to see HoYoverse's Rob Liefeld character design phase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Does the flagship event require quests beyond the Inversion of Genesis and the Alhaitham questline?

If you do quickstart you don't even have to do those. I don't think I'd even finished Liyue when I started it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

If you do quickstart you don't even have to do those. I don't think I'd even finished Liyue when I started it.

My wife and I had just wrapped Sumeru recently, so we actually knocked out both over the weekend. I saw people mentioning zone questlines so I wanted to make sure we wouldn't get hosed by something else.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
When were Farazun and Layla introduced to the game? Were they introduced via event stories or just part of the game?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Mordiceius posted:

When were Farazun and Layla introduced to the game? Were they introduced via event stories or just part of the game?

Layla was in an event, Faruzan just existed offscreen.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Endorph posted:

part of its just the lack of paimon cutting in after every single line to reconfirm that you understood the previous line

It's a little combination of everything. Like there's thankfully no Paimon, but your blank slate character in SMT/Persona games has NPC reactions starting like "so what you're saying is..." frequently. The infuriating animation locking is new (or new to me, at least) but meaningless quest padding with word salad is common. Everyone was a dick about how Metal Gear was "all movies" and now every game has to fake interactivity for what the developer wants to be a movie but has to shoehorn in interactivity with meaningless dialogue choices and forcing you to slowly walk ten feet to the next scene.

You combine all of those bad features, then you put a time-limited service game reward at the end of it, add in GI's very special blend of quest blocking, and that's what we get. 90 goddamn minutes of Itto vs Literal Child with two minutes of minigame and you're going to suffer through it because primos.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I would have assumed P5 Morgana inspired paimon. Ofc there's a major difference because people still speak directly to the protagonist in P5 rather than through Morgana.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 9, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, Star Rail's dialog options are usually at least funny, and there's less meaningless walking around. In general, the Star Rail design in terms of writing is way more respectful of your time. Like, it's still a JRPG and all, but the plot at least tends to feel like its moving.

the sumeru story stuff actually has some extremely interesting bits but i didnt need two hours to understand the concept of 'its not quite a time loop'

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

But does Star Rail have HAT GUY?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

No but it does have Sampo Koski who is in some ways (every way) better.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mordiceius posted:

But does Star Rail have HAT GUY?

Don Sombrero

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Wikipedia says Venti was used as an example by the government of what not to do in portraying men as effeminate, so yeah I think they have to be pretty careful with the wink nudge stuff.

If that's the case Sumeru seemed to embolden them to once again tiptoe right up to that line. I'm normally someone who wants my gay characters explicitly so, but with Mihoyo it's kind of like they have a history so you know, and the situation in China being what it is, they've earned my respect.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah the "and then they censored it for the chinese market" stuff is at least a little more excusable when you're actually *from* China. It can't really be... helped then.

Twisc
Jul 24, 2004
tehe qt:>
i want to play genshin impact with honkai star rail's writing

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Twisc posted:

drat it :same:

Trash lore for all

I still love Genshin and have spent an ungodly amount of time with it and do enjoy the open world exploration but tapping through a bunch of Pari stuff today just really made me want to talk to another dumpster instead.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

i want to play genshin impact with devil may cry 4's voice direction

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I'm just now starting the new area's story for the event, and man.

Paimon.

Paimon you should know for a fact that if we take a mysterious artifact related to an uncompleted commission to Katheryne she's not going to reassign it to "someone," she's going to reassign it to us.

I mean that's fine the Adventurer's Guild is always a good excuse to start a new questline, but still.
Don't act like you don't know, Paimon.

(Also I can spoiler if requested, but it's literally the first thing that happens in the quest.)

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Twisc posted:

i absolutely do not.

i know this probably marks me as an unfun grump but i'm not a fan of HSR's writing. genshin might be more verbose but it's at least more tonally consistent. i don't get the impression the traveler is one dialogue choice away from being a clown on a unicycle.

Kale
May 14, 2010

:lol: Nilou's quest ending up with her having to debate some Akademiya bigshot, good luck with that. Like one of the few characters in the Sumeru arc that isn't some sort of eccentric brainiac and in fact might actually be kind of dimwitted and largely get's by on everyone liking her personality. I assume everyone in the Bazaar including the Traveler is going to gang up on the deadbeat father sage guy and that'll somehow be how his relationship with rebellious daughter will get fixed after he sees the true power of the arts and then they'll all dance.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

RareAcumen posted:

Can't wait to see HoYoverse's Rob Liefeld character design phase

on the one hand nobody likes censorship, on the other hand WHERE'S THE BEEF, MIHOYO

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

UHD posted:

i know this probably marks me as an unfun grump but i'm not a fan of HSR's writing. genshin might be more verbose but it's at least more tonally consistent. i don't get the impression the traveler is one dialogue choice away from being a clown on a unicycle.
There's a difference between the writing of the main storyline and sidequests, which are pretty solidly good, compared to the MC's dialog options. If you yank out the "cater to zoomers" humor from the MC's dialog options, it's not quite as massive of a jump betwen the "good" and "neutral" and "random/bad" options in most cases.

Though at the very least, the different MC dialog options are actually loving different from each other in HSR. Why Genshin insists on showing two buttons that are just two halves of the same message I do not know, but it drives me up the drat wall every time I see it. If it's just one reply, give me one button (or no button) instead of pretending I have any actual input choice, you imbeciles.

Is this something specific to the EN interface maybe?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i feel like the honkai train localization team must be really on their poo poo because the dialogue often feels like it's actually something someone would say rather than these disjointed translations we get in genshin sometimes

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

sushibandit posted:

There's a difference between the writing of the main storyline and sidequests, which are pretty solidly good, compared to the MC's dialog options. If you yank out the "cater to zoomers" humor from the MC's dialog options, it's not quite as massive of a jump betwen the "good" and "neutral" and "random/bad" options in most cases.

Though at the very least, the different MC dialog options are actually loving different from each other in HSR. Why Genshin insists on showing two buttons that are just two halves of the same message I do not know, but it drives me up the drat wall every time I see it. If it's just one reply, give me one button (or no button) instead of pretending I have any actual input choice, you imbeciles.

Maybe, but I also wonder how much of it is just "well, this is how we've been doing it all this time, no sense in changing gears now."

I do agree with you that I would like dialogue choices to actually be choices, tho

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Star Rail lets you make some choices that surprise me, like I'm used to rpgs just not letting you make them but nope if there's a choice in Star Rail you likely can do both options and have to live with whatever you did.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

sushibandit posted:

HSR pulls that poo poo too, that it doesn't happen as often only means HSR is more willing to give the illusion of choice. neither the generic hero or dipshit stoner options are going to change the story in any meaningful way, the principle NPCs will still hail you as a selfless hero after you defeat the Big Bad, but you might confuse them a little on the way and I guess that resonates with some players more.

personally i prefer the consistency of the traveler. they don't stick out as much and it doesn't take me out of the game as often. i can be reasonably sure a three word dialogue option in genshin will not make them launch into a crazy nihilistic rant about the pointlessness of existence to some poor bastard who just wants help sorting their life out.

to each their own :shrug:

Eimi posted:

Star Rail lets you make some choices that surprise me, like I'm used to rpgs just not letting you make them but nope if there's a choice in Star Rail you likely can do both options and have to live with whatever you did.

it's more of a jrpg so it's going to lean more into little stuff like that. it's closer to FF XIV in that respect, where you're always going to be a spectator to events but you can change how your MC reacts to them.

it's a different style from genshin but imo not an inherently better or worse one.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

these days I think of the Traveler less as the player's avatar and more as just the main character of the story, and in particular one whose motivations and background we're not even entirely privy to

this is colored by me disagreeing with basically every decision the Traveler makes in the Dainsleif storyline, but at the same time not necessarily objecting to those decisions as part of the narrative

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

sushibandit posted:

Why Genshin insists on showing two buttons that are just two halves of the same message I do not know, but it drives me up the drat wall every time I see it. If it's just one reply, give me one button (or no button) instead of pretending I have any actual input choice, you imbeciles.

It's the Metal Gear thing. If characters just talk, that's a cutscene and it's bad. If you force someone to press a button to advance the otherwise non-interactive cutscene, that's gameplay and it's good. This poo poo gets praise heaped on it in AAA titles.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm still so confused on the inconsistency of the Traveler talking. They clearly have their own personality outside of the player and they talk sometimes but then mostly are silent. Just let them talk more in cutscenes!

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I like when the traveler gets a little sassy or fed up with things but it doesn't happen often enough and it's a shame that they just don't voice all the traveler's lines. I also dunno why they didn't just record lines that say Lumine or Aether as if the name of your MC is that important at all

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I always found it funny in Genshin when it puts your name down in the text but they just say The Traveler.

Which I guess is slightly better than in Star Rail where they put your name in text but just don't replace it with anything at all, just skipping over the word entirely.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Makes you wonder if wanderer is gonna get a new dumb name every time he shows up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I wish that this game had the MC voiced more. The VO for the MC in star rail is really good

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

MarcusSA posted:

I wish that this game had the MC voiced more. The VO for the MC in star rail is really good

The sad thing is, there's a ton of mc voiced dialogues, it's just all in the Profile section of the traveler so a lot of people have probably never heard it.

And that's also why it's so drat annoying that when they put paimon in the teapot, you still have a silent protagonist even though the lines are already voiced.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

No Wave posted:

Makes you wonder if wanderer is gonna get a new dumb name every time he shows up.

i was disappointed that the "hat guy" splash screen didn't have my wanderer's name instead

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

these days I think of the Traveler less as the player's avatar and more as just the main character of the story, and in particular one whose motivations and background we're not even entirely privy to

this is colored by me disagreeing with basically every decision the Traveler makes in the Dainsleif storyline, but at the same time not necessarily objecting to those decisions as part of the narrative
Yeah, it's not really the classic player-avatar silent protagonist because the Traveler clearly has a personality and agenda of their own, so the lack of real dialogue choices makes some sense. I wish they'd be somewhat clearer that the two options are actually one option too long to fit into the box, though, instead of making you "choose".

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

on the one hand nobody likes censorship, on the other hand WHERE'S THE BEEF, MIHOYO

shame the only fat mihoyo character will be a bear (albeit a loving awesome bear)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZB-XEk67Jg

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Am I crazy or does that game look awful?

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Tampa Bae posted:

I like when the traveler gets a little sassy or fed up with things but it doesn't happen often enough and it's a shame that they just don't voice all the traveler's lines. I also dunno why they didn't just record lines that say Lumine or Aether as if the name of your MC is that important at all

I want to say your Twin uses Lumine/Aether in the one scene they had together, implying that your MC name is just a pseudonym they use in Teyvat.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Am I crazy or does that game look awful?

huge dramatic attacks that do like 5% of a life bar is never a good sign, but then again Genshin's got a bit of that too if your world level and gear mismatch

e: also everyone important in Genshin has like half a dozen names, we're no exception

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Space Opera posted:

I want to say your Twin uses Lumine/Aether in the one scene they had together, implying that your MC name is just a pseudonym they use in Teyvat.
I'm assuming that reason is because they had to record the voice-lines for both travelers anyway and the reason they don't do it for every other line in the game is :effort: