Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

credburn posted:

The backstory of Higgs's name in Death Stranding has to be one of the most bonkers thing. It's kind of obvious if you know Kojima at all, and why not a single person can have a name that isn't a one-line description of their entire character, but when it's revealed, ahh man we all just shouted and roared with laughter. I don't know why I didn't put it together... I think because even for Kojima that was absurdly silly.

Maybe I missed something, but isn't Higgs just named after the Higgs Boson? That seems like bottom rung Kojima weirdness tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

he's no Hot Coldman

e: Shoot Gunner

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

he's no Hot Coldman

e: Shoot Gunner

Dr. Strangelove

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Hattie Masters posted:

It feels like it's judging me for having the temerity to not just go to the main menu and hit Quit to Desktop.

I've seen Undertale called peachy or, as you said, heavy handed. I'll take that over Spec Ops "Stop hitting yourself!" Bullshit any day

Fake edit: I realise after writing all this that Credburn basically said the same thing but shorter but I haven't slept at all, have work in an hour and a half and this has been a real bugbear of mine for years at this point

It's not "Stop hitting yourself" but "Stop sending people into lovely wars and then glorifying it in videogames". It's not making a value judgement about you personally, it's not about you at all. It's about being a good guy in a situation where you are forced to do bad guy stuff. The Line :haw: about not playing is not about you not playing the game, it's about loving United States in the Middle East.

When I say "knock knock" you need to say "who's there"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i liked the scene in the genocide runthrough where Walker executes Papyrus with the last bullet in his gun before using white phosphorus on the Temmies

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There was an amazing let's play where some dude who seemed to have worked on the game was absolutely laying into the lead dev about the decisions he'd made, just frothing mad about every single one of them

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

credburn posted:

PYF little things in game reviews:

Just read this in a review

I dunno, made me feel :3:

Of course you double tap the spacebar at the end of a sentence. Makes your phone add a period automatically!

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Undertale apparently made its point more clearly because I stopped playing it almost immediately. I actually completed Spec Ops: The Line, proving it to be the inferior game.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

sebmojo posted:

There was an amazing let's play where some dude who seemed to have worked on the game was absolutely laying into the lead dev about the decisions he'd made, just frothing mad about every single one of them

Oooh, any links? I remember the LP of X-Com the Bureau that interviewed the makers of the game as it was being played and it was tres good - but the one you recall sounds like it could be very fun.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Nameless Pete posted:

Undertale apparently made its point more clearly because I stopped playing it almost immediately. I actually completed Spec Ops: The Line, proving it to be the inferior game.

:hmmyes:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I've been playing Warhammer: Mechanicus, it's the perfect steamdeck game for my bus ride to and from work. The missions are short enough I can get a mission or two in on the trip.

There are missions to hunt down high-ranking Necron Lords, and the second one that opened up for me was a rematch against the Lord from the tutorial who will solidly kick your rear end. In the rematch, with some ranks on my tech priests and some better troops, it was like putting him into the time-out chair. He got trapped on a stairway between two troops, he couldn't do anything to my actual tech priests, and he couldn't kill the troops. It was satisfying going to town on him. This isn't even an end-game team (my awakening was at roughly 25-29% for those who have playing it)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Nioh does not have instantly replenishable healing resources. Your healing item, the elixir, stocks up from enemy drops, and you can upgrade your maximum on-hand capacity of it; any more than that goes to a stockpile, and you stock up to that maximum capacity every time you stop by a shrine.

The final shrine before the final boss of Nioh is after the game locks the door behind you. There are no enemies between the shrine and the final boss, it's purely a 'corridor between save point and final boss' situation.

These facts INTERACT VERY POORLY TOGETHER. I literally cannot finish this game, because I have no healing resources left.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Necrothatcher posted:

Maybe I missed something, but isn't Higgs just named after the Higgs Boson? That seems like bottom rung Kojima weirdness tbh.

He's named that because he is the GOD PARTICLE

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Also because he thinks he's more important than he is.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hattie Masters posted:

Undertale's criticisms of gaming and the culture surrounding it hit that much harder, in my opinion, because at almost any point you can stop. You can jump off. You can start over, make different decisions. And the game itself acknowledges and encourages that. The famous boss fight against Sans is so difficult for that reason, in a manner that is literal and stated by the game.

Sans posted:

i know your type. you're, uh, very determined, aren't you? you'll never give up, even if there's, uh... absolutely NO benefit to persevering whatsoever. if i can make that clear. no matter what, you'll just keep going. not out of any desire for good or evil... but just because you think you can. and because you "can"... ... you "have to".

I always thought this was a neat line. There's a breed of gamer who feels like they have to do everything that a game permits them to do, I guess out of some desire to get all the value out of their money or something? So congrats, you completed an extremely un-fun slog to get to the end of the "you're an actual human monster" storyline, and now you're being called out on that.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

neat?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I cannot play Pillars of Eternity 2 without compulsively completing all available quests.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Nameless Pete posted:

🆗️

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Samovar posted:

Oooh, any links? I remember the LP of X-Com the Bureau that interviewed the makers of the game as it was being played and it was tres good - but the one you recall sounds like it could be very fun.

Sorry not offhand, the ex-dev was a commenter not the op though so their rants won't be in the lp archive.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I always thought this was a neat line. There's a breed of gamer who feels like they have to do everything that a game permits them to do, I guess out of some desire to get all the value out of their money or something? So congrats, you completed an extremely un-fun slog to get to the end of the "you're an actual human monster" storyline, and now you're being called out on that.

I do it because I despise secrets and not knowing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

[Bravely] I don't play any battle royale games because I don't like them

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I have similar issues with some games where I pull up a walkthrough before I start because my sadbrains makes me incapable of playing a game if I might miss something. Same thing with games that have time limits, no matter how generous.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

[Bravely] I don't play any battle royale games because I don't like them

wow, mods?!

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Marcade posted:

I have similar issues with some games where I pull up a walkthrough before I start because my sadbrains makes me incapable of playing a game if I might miss something. Same thing with games that have time limits, no matter how generous.

Time is fleeting my friend, embrace your mortality

No I didn't put over 72 hours into Vice City and start over three times because I kept losing track of which hidden packages I missed, why do you ask?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Marcade posted:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't help, but I always look at the fact that you can miss things as part of the experience

Plus it's great motivation to replay the game if you liked it a lot and explore more thoroughly, try different choices, that kinda stuff.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

credburn posted:

He's named that because he is the GOD PARTICLE

Which is only called that due to selfcensorship. Physicists were calling it the "goddamn particle" privately but shortened it when talking to a journalist.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Tunicate posted:

Which is only called that due to selfcensorship. Physicists were calling it the "goddamn particle" privately but shortened it when talking to a journalist.
...what scientists are calling The Mother Bull Particle...

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Nioh does not have instantly replenishable healing resources. Your healing item, the elixir, stocks up from enemy drops, and you can upgrade your maximum on-hand capacity of it; any more than that goes to a stockpile, and you stock up to that maximum capacity every time you stop by a shrine.

The final shrine before the final boss of Nioh is after the game locks the door behind you. There are no enemies between the shrine and the final boss, it's purely a 'corridor between save point and final boss' situation.

These facts INTERACT VERY POORLY TOGETHER. I literally cannot finish this game, because I have no healing resources left.

It will refill you to 3 (maybe 4, can't remember exact number rn) even if your stockpile is zero every time you rest at a shrine or respawn.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Cleretic posted:

just don't get hit

if you must get hit, and you're not getting your three free elixers, you inventory might be full. drop some armor or something

Babe Magnet has a new favorite as of 00:28 on May 10, 2023

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
meanwhile i'm on my like 5th restart of wotr in a week because i can't settle on a class.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kitfox88 posted:

meanwhile i'm on my like 5th restart of wotr in a week because i can't settle on a class.

Don't worry, no matter what class you pick you will be ground under the boots of Pathfinder Difficulty.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Randalor posted:

I've been playing Warhammer: Mechanicus, it's the perfect steamdeck game for my bus ride to and from work. The missions are short enough I can get a mission or two in on the trip.

There are missions to hunt down high-ranking Necron Lords, and the second one that opened up for me was a rematch against the Lord from the tutorial who will solidly kick your rear end. In the rematch, with some ranks on my tech priests and some better troops, it was like putting him into the time-out chair. He got trapped on a stairway between two troops, he couldn't do anything to my actual tech priests, and he couldn't kill the troops. It was satisfying going to town on him. This isn't even an end-game team (my awakening was at roughly 25-29% for those who have playing it)

Quick piece of advice to handle awakening - you can both access panels for money and THEN destroy them

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

sebmojo posted:

That sounds like Evil Tim's rants about the lead writer. I think I have a way to backtrace those posts, gimme a sec.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 12:24 on May 10, 2023

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hacker voice

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723999&userid=123933

There we go. I don't think Evil Tim ever explained his bonafides or any specific connection to the game but they were some fun posts, particularly if you didn't 100% like every last thing about Spec-Ops.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

John Murdoch posted:

There we go. I don't think Evil Tim ever explained his bonafides or any specific connection to the game but they were some fun posts, particularly if you didn't 100% like every last thing about Spec-Ops.

you know it's a good one where the first post of fifty starts with "white phosphorus was noone's fault"

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
now the third one's doing the champagne/sparkling wine bit about chemical weapons

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
okay i read some more and my conclusion is that Evil Tim is a CIA contractor who's mad at unfair portrayal of his noble profession

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Push El Burrito posted:

Don't worry, no matter what class you pick you will be ground under the boots of Pathfinder Difficulty.

doing a fighter archer :banjo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

this guy sucks to an unholy degree