Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
there was a crow guy in yospos back in the day, although I don’t think he posts anymore. dude made friends with crows and they’d follow him around in the park. cool poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

swans in the Commonweal books are deeply amusing. they were weaponised by rogue magicians millenia ago and they are the size of rhinocerouses

unrelated, all the Shadowrun games just showed up on gamepass. do not play shadowrun returns but do play dragonfall and hong kong

again great setting, imperfect execution. dragonfall and hong kong rule though.

i would dearly love someone to give a good aaa treatment to shadowrun though. not cd projekt red after cyberpunk (fun but flawed) but maybe another studio with better writers and less egregious treatment of employees.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

NoiseAnnoys posted:

i would dearly love someone to give a good aaa treatment to shadowrun though. not cd projekt red after cyberpunk (fun but flawed) but maybe another studio with better writers and less egregious treatment of employees.

paging todd howard

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

pog boyfriend posted:

my mom says boats have human emotions and complex motivations

they have one emotion and that is...

[b[/b]

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I'd like a good game based on the Edgerunners anime.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

pog boyfriend posted:

paging todd howard

i used to be a shadowrunner like you and then i took an exploding .45 hollowpoint to the bionic knee

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Famethrowa posted:

I'd like a good game based on the Edgerunners anime.

supposedly that's in the works from CDPR

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

NoiseAnnoys posted:

supposedly that's in the works from CDPR

I said good. :colbert:

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Famethrowa posted:

I said good. :colbert:

well, i want heat seaking swan-based anti-tourist devices, but we do'nt always get what we wa-a-want.

(i liked cyberpunk okay, outside of the main story. the gameplay was fun as poo poo, the writing was cringe, the ending was terrible.)

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

the advice i got for canada geese working with an ornithologist was to counterintuitively look them in the eye and face your body toward them as you pass. for swans, she said nothing works

I got flying tackled off a motorcycle while sitting at a red-light by an irate turkey, as well as ambushed and chased by an emu while trail riding.

My earliest memory is being attacked in a stroller by a goose while my mom laughed.

I stay away from all swans, given my track record.

Edit: yakuza 5 is going to have more play hours than 0, somehow. The batting side story is fun af even if it gets so easy as to be broken.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

NoiseAnnoys posted:

Shadowrun's vision of the cyberpunk hell future, caused by a mixture of several massive global pandemics, the continued exploitation and obliteration of native peoples to plunder their land, and the militarization and privatization of police forces, are all disconcertingly on point. The early stuff like a cutting edge wireless phone that fits in a portable brief case is quaint now. They really need to bin the Neo-Confederacy thing though. But keep President Dragon.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
are you maybe a lot of seeds? or bread

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
(Britishly): birds

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

Shadowrun's vision of the cyberpunk hell future, caused by a mixture of several massive global pandemics, the continued exploitation and obliteration of native peoples to plunder their land, and the militarization and privatization of police forces, are all disconcertingly on point. The early stuff like a cutting edge wireless phone that fits in a portable brief case is quaint now. They really need to bin the Neo-Confederacy thing though.

yes, but they have ELVES.

(also, yes, to all of your post but i'm lolling at the first or second edition rulebook where having portable computer the size of a briefcase as some unobtainable black market hacking gear was so unobtainable. it also is so loving quaint it's almost cute.)

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

are you maybe a lot of seeds? or bread

I do have the complexion of an unbaked sourdough loaf, you might be onto something...

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I never knew anything about Shadowrun so when somone recommended the game to me last year I looked it up and thought 'oh is this based on that Will Smith movie'

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
cyberpunk hitch WHEN

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

I never knew anything about Shadowrun so when somone recommended the game to me last year I looked it up and thought 'oh is this based on that Will Smith movie'

i love that in the grim cyberpunk world of the future where you can replace body parts and magic exists, you still have things like credit card debt and stds.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

NoiseAnnoys posted:

yes, but they have ELVES.

(also, yes, to all of your post but i'm lolling at the first or second edition rulebook where having portable computer the size of a briefcase as some unobtainable black market hacking gear was so unobtainable. it also is so loving quaint it's almost cute.)

The D&D race stuff is dorky but also charming, yeah.

And the real reason we'll never get a Shadowrun game on the level of CDPR's run at Cyberpunk is that Catalyst Games may very well be the most incompetently-run extant tabletop gaming company. The CEO straight up embezzled almost a million dollars from the company and he's still there. They released a statement being like "Yeah, he stole from the company but we're good Christians and forgave him." The latest edition of Shadowrun was published in a state so incomplete it was basically nonfunctional at release. They constantly bilk the contract workers they have write and draw art for the books. The dedicated company that translates and distributes the game in Germany is the only semi-connected division that puts any effort or passion into salvaging the game and obviously that's not available worldwide :v:

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

And the real reason we'll never get a Shadowrun game on the level of CDPR's run at Cyberpunk is that Catalyst Games may very well be the most incompetently-run extant tabletop gaming company. The CEO straight up embezzled almost a million dollars from the company and he's still there. They released a statement being like "Yeah, he stole from the company but we're good Christians and forgave him." The latest edition of Shadowrun was published in a state so incomplete it was basically nonfunctional at release. They constantly bilk the contract workers they have write and draw art for the books. The dedicated company that translates and distributes the game in Germany is the only semi-connected division that puts any effort or passion into salvaging the game and obviously that's not available worldwide :v:

yeah, it really needs a new steward of the ip. again, massive and massively squandered potential.

and given the success of cyberpunk 2077 (even if flawed) it would be time you'd expect someone to make at least like an updated video game version of it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

just play the genesis game, that's the peak of Shadowrun's entire cross-medium existence

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Alaois posted:

just play the genesis game, that's the peak of Shadowrun's entire cross-medium existence

it really is. although my copy kept crashing once you got to the end game for some reason. let's not talk about the snes one.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

I got flying tackled off a motorcycle while sitting at a red-light by an irate turkey, as well as ambushed and chased by an emu while trail riding.

My earliest memory is being attacked in a stroller by a goose while my mom laughed.

I stay away from all swans, given my track record.

Edit: yakuza 5 is going to have more play hours than 0, somehow. The batting side story is fun af even if it gets so easy as to be broken.

you have clearly demonstrated that you are a beta bird and thus open bullying.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Nuns with Guns posted:

lmao'ing while mourning

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

this rules. keep those goslings safe 🙏

will do. earlier this year i had to chase off four ducks who were charging a mom duck and her ducklings. the four males and the mother all flew over the fence and the ducklings just stumbled through my yard peeping and tripping over dandelions. I went back inside and then made sure the mom came back before going back to work lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

Lady Radia posted:

lmao'ing while mourning

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Marcade posted:

That reminds me of a study I saw about crows in traffic. They found that crows that were run over were overwhelmingly hit by trucks. Best guess is that crows can warn one another about caws, but not trucks.

You fucker.

YOU FUCKER

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Marcade posted:

That reminds me of a study I saw about crows in traffic. They found that crows that were run over were overwhelmingly hit by trucks. Best guess is that crows can warn one another about caws, but not trucks.

Frank Frank posted:

You fucker.

YOU FUCKER

*sigh* I’ll start the SAD thread

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lady Radia posted:

lmao'ing while mourning

Keep in mind that "most incompetently run tabletop gaming company" is a very tight race, and it says a lot that Catalyst might have a slight lead on the competition there.

NoiseAnnoys posted:

yeah, it really needs a new steward of the ip. again, massive and massively squandered potential.

and given the success of cyberpunk 2077 (even if flawed) it would be time you'd expect someone to make at least like an updated video game version of it.

"Massively squandered" is the right descriptor. Like, I would say out of the two big cyberpunk games out there, Shadowrun has been the stronger seller for years before the recent uptick in interest for Cyberpunk. And some of that was definitely because it's "Cyberpunk, but with familiar D&D magic and races" but some of that was also that Cyberpunk as a brand was basically in stasis for years and years after Mike Pondsmith stepped back from the industry to work at Microsoft. He was so flat broke they couldn't even afford real art for Cyberpunk v3 and resorted to dressing Barbie dolls up to take pictures of:

And then work starts on the CDPR game, a new Cyberpunk game edition, etc. and meanwhile Shadowrun released the worst edition of their game yet in response.

So tl;dr, Shadowrun's marketing sense peaked at the 1990 "game trailer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GPGQoR6f6w

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 9, 2023

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Started ff15 for the about the 5th time and this time I will definitely get past chapter 3

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

Keep in mind that "most incompetently run tabletop gaming company" is a very tight race, and it says a lot that Catalyst might have a slight lead on the competition there.

"Massively squandered" is the right descriptor. Like, I would say out of the two big cyberpunk games out there, Shadowrun has been the stronger seller for years before the recent uptick in interest for Cyberpunk. And some of that was definitely because it's "Cyberpunk, but with familiar D&D magic and races" but some of that was also that Cyberpunk as a brand was basically in stasis for years and years after Mike Pondsmith stepped back from the industry to work at Microsoft. He was so flat broke they couldn't even afford real art for Cyberpunk v3 and resorted to dressing Barbie dolls up to take pictures of:

And then work starts on the CDPR game, a new Cyberpunk game edition, etc. and meanwhile Shadowrun released the worst edition of their game yet in response.

So tl;dr, Shadowrun's marketing sense peaked at the 1989 "game trailer"

fuckin' loooool

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
there was a shadowrun MUD i loved way back in the day. always made a half elf that dual wielded a pistol and a katana. would teleport behind other players to murder them in the PvP roleplay, but it'd be interrupted when my character died from a mosh pit

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

"Nothing personal, kid" I say, teleporting behind the target before being crushed to death by troll moshers.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

lmfao goddamn

copy
Jul 26, 2007

my dad really liked the shadowrun books and didnt even know there were games until i was in highschool and found them myself. he just liked wizards and trolls and guns and poo poo

copy
Jul 26, 2007

he had a full sleeve tattoo and part of it was what he called a "combat mage" and it was supposed to be a wizard with a gun but mom called it beyonce because it kind of looked like beyonce but with a gun and magical lol

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

copy posted:

he had a full sleeve tattoo and part of it was what he called a "combat mage" and it was supposed to be a wizard with a gun but mom called it beyonce because it kind of looked like beyonce but with a gun and magical lol

lol

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Nuns with Guns posted:

lmao @ the cop knockout but also all of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

copy posted:

amazing, lol.

but also ngl, i loved the shadowrun 2e rulebook more than acxtually playing the game as a kid.