Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Arzaac posted:

Do a round of ocean fishing so you can get this lil dude

best minion I've found so far and it's easy to get as long as you kinda understand ocean fishing

Also you can get a fairly realistic seagull minion without a whole lot of effort (it's random but not tied to anything you do, just go on a few trips and you'll get it soon enough), and walking around with a regular-rear end seagull on your shoulder in a world full of weird fantasy beasts is a delight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Arzaac posted:

best minion I've found so far and it's easy to get as long as you kinda understand ocean fishing

:allears: Mr. Sharky looks perfect

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Shortly after I started playing in 2020 I remember taking I think like three or four actual days to catch a fish outside cape westwind for one of the level 50 fishing quests. I don't know how that one compares to other rare fish or if I was just extremely bad/unlucky but I never tried going for anything super rare after that (It was satisfying to actually catch it though because people were selling them on the marketboard for like 50k or something ridiculous and I didn't wanna cave in)

Oooh I think I know the one you're talking about and I've hit a wall on it myself. I keep catching the OTHER rare valuable fish that you get from double-mooching.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Arzaac posted:

Or this big dude, takes a bit more luck than the little guy (10,000 points instead of 5,000 and sometimes you just have a low value route or the RNG doesn't go your way) but still very achievable.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Look at this little guy :3:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I think one thing I really appreciate about FF14 over WoW is that, the levelling story that comes out at the expansion release is a full story, start to finish. The end of the levelling story is a satisfying conclusion by itself, and patch stories either pick up loose ends or tell entirely new stories. In WoW, the levelling story is just part 1 and you need to do all the max level patch stuff to get the full story to any kind of conclusion, which means new characters levelling through old expansions will NEVER get the old expac’s full story.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

BlazetheInferno posted:

I think one thing I really appreciate about FF14 over WoW is that, the levelling story that comes out at the expansion release is a full story, start to finish.
For sure. This definitely ties very clearly and directly into how XIV treats FOMO vs. how WoW does. For Blizzard, fear of missing out is a business strategy, an incentivizer to keep people playing because if you don’t go all-in on that game, you’re going to have a demonstrably worse and lesser experience.

Meanwhile, Squeenix designed their party-finder system in a way that makes sure old story content is never completely inaccessible, and every dungeon and trial, from level 15 to 90, has a healthy mix of people running it for the first time and people running it for the hundredth.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

And now there's Trusts for dungeon content so you don't even have to group up for that.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

As someone who has had a 100% completed fishing log recently, I will say that the fishing road is a road leading to madness. It just happens to be extremely chill madness, at least until you're waking up at 4:45AM to be around for a rare fish window.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ibblebibble posted:

waking up at 4:45AM to be around for a rare fish window.

:stonk:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

it's that or wait for several months for it not to be at rear end in the morning, at which point you might be at work

i haven't started on it myself but i'm told there's a fun camaraderie to be had from seeing people show up at the rare spot during the rare time and seeing who does or doesn't get it. and the super rares are up for such a short window that it's not that frustrating if you don't get it

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

People with the Big Fish title radiate powerful energy that easily eclipses the Legends. They don't have to have an ugly weapon glamour either

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I respect Ultimate raiders, but I stand in awe of the Big Fish. I've never even finished Feast of Famine.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The FSH specific glams are pretty good. I like all the gear class restricted to fisherman.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I haven't swapped off <Big Fish> since the moment I got it.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
After what felt like several thousands years I finally finished ARR. I admit that people telling me "it gets good after ARR" were right but god, there should be an achievement for surviving it.

What's the best way of leveling alt jobs? Should I spam leveling duty roulette or just highest available dungeon?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Szarrukin posted:

After what felt like several thousands years I finally finished ARR. I admit that people telling me "it gets good after ARR" were right but god, there should be an achievement for surviving it.

What's the best way of leveling alt jobs? Should I spam leveling duty roulette or just highest available dungeon?

In ARR, daily roulettes are your big exp sources. After that, your class/GC hunt logs are a decent amount until they're done, and Palace of the Dead is quite fast. Picking and choosing leves/fates and challenge log entries are also good in small bursts.

Later on max level dungeon spam is among the best, but I'm not sure if that holds up low level, especially if you have queues to worry about.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the only title I kneel to is Ultimate Thrillseeker

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The hunt log for arr jobs is great xp, and easy to do if you have your choco-bro along with to help out. Til 50 there's basically just leveling roulette for roulettes, which means it can go pretty slow. Once you're at 50+, combat tribe quests, more roulette options and c/b rank hunts can make levels go by pretty quick.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Szarrukin posted:

the Hunting log will bring a class up to speed for dungeons, and is quick now that you have access to all zones and flight, then doing whatever daily roulettes you have. Then it's either spamming PotD (boring af but fast) or running highest available leveling dungeon. If you have pals with kitted out BLU then the dungeons go very fast

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
Also Frontline should be noted for being a free level under 50 for the roulette daily and that you can swap when you're inside so you can play a class you want to play. I definitely used this fact when I was trying to bring everything into level parity.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Vitamean posted:

the only title I kneel to is Ultimate Thrillseeker

Everyone calls Big Fish the real sicko title but I think Ultimate Thrillseeker has to be right up there.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Szarrukin posted:

Things with queues will somewhat depend on job, role and when in the day you're playing. Rough order of value:
1. First Leveling, Trials, Alliance Raid, Main Scenario and Frontline roulette of the day.
2. Role quests, highest level dungeon available to you, first 5678 and Normal Raid roulette of the day, daily beast tribe quests in Shadowbringers and later.
3. Highest level dungeon with trusts or squadrons, Palace of the Dead or equivalent thing in later expansions, Crystalline Conflict, levequests. Guildhests you haven't done on that class yet, if sub-50.
4. FATEs, hunts/hunting log, leftover side quests, and beast tribe quests before Shadowbringers made them rewarding.

Repeat roulettes are not generally very efficient. The value of dungeon spam will depend on the queue. It's usually better to chain-queue the highest dungeon and do job quests, FATEs, hunting log and beast tribe things while in queue than run Palace of the Dead or do dungeons with trusts/squadrons, but if the dungeon queue is very long this might not be true.

The completion XP for a roulette (or other activity) tends to be a proportionally larger portion of the total XP at higher levels. Level 50, 60, 70 and 80 dungeons themselves give very little XP, although the daily roulette bonus is OK given how quick they are.

Trials is the best XP/time if there's no queue, but trials are very short and there's probably a queue. Leveling, Alliance and Main Scenario are about equal in both length and expected reward.

Don't feel like you have to do repetitive stuff you don't like (read: Main Scenario roulette every day) for the XP. There are plenty of alternatives.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 9, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Flytitle posted:

Also Frontline should be noted for being a free level under 50 for the roulette daily and that you can swap when you're inside so you can play a class you want to play. I definitely used this fact when I was trying to bring everything into level parity.

This is really good daily XP and increases your PvP series rank, which gets you an emote not too far in.

YMMV though on if Frontlines is any fun.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
My friend was kind enough to make me level 56 gear, so I think I am good for a bit now. I am pushing through the story in a desperate attempt to unlock fel cleave and to unlock the gun class which name eludes me. Ramuh had some killer tunes during his encounter!

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The music in 14 continues to only get better from there (though Ramuh's track is really good, yes)

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
That is great to hear. Music is rather important to me in games.

Is the Machinst a fun class? On paper it seems fun.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

That is great to hear. Music is rather important to me in games.

Machinist is very enjoyable. Minor lore spoiler: Canonically you're one of the first ever machinists so all the flippy bullshit you do during your attacks is entirely of your own creation.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Relyssa posted:

Machinist is very enjoyable. Minor lore spoiler: Canonically you're one of the first ever machinists so all the flippy bullshit you do during your attacks is entirely of your own creation.

:allears:

That's a fun explanation, I kind of love it.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Relyssa posted:

Most jobs have very few in-universe practitioners for a variety of reasons (new, recently revived ancient art, closely held by a certain group, etc) and it's generally accepted that any abilities gained after a given job's questline ends were invented/developed by the WoL. I think MCH is the only one where the game's text explicitly acknowledges that, though.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Mouseover the job stones for an interesting difference in description as well.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Mesadoram posted:

I think Machinist is a blast. Pun intended! You don't have any movement restrictions like having to be in melee range or cast times, you press buttons a lot (not so great if you have hand fatigue or RSI issues though), and you fire a big drill at enemies to do a lot of damage.

It does suck that it's locked behind getting to Heavensward but the devs stopped doing that with subsequent expansions at least.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Synodic Scribe did a good video on job stones and the lore of jobs a ways back. I don't remember what spoilers are in it, so let your taste for those guide whether you watch it sooner or later.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I didn't realize there were crafter job stones until level 90.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Relyssa posted:

Yeah, after levels and levels of skill learning descriptions about ancient power being awoken in your soul crystal, it was extremely fun to have a job that's just "you do some marksmanship training" or "your mentor shows you this cool new toy he came up with." MCH is a ton of fun and very fresh.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Fishing is fun and chill :unsmith:.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think the crafting/gathering is what got the hooks in.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

What I wanted to do tonight (during this break in between Zelda seshes) is put together a list of stuff from the past two live letters for new players. Basically, what can you access the day the patch goes live rather than stuff that can only be accessed in the endgame? Let me know if anyone finds this helpful, though. This isn't all-encompassing - I've tried to catch everything mentioned in the live letters, but they always keep some updates close to the chest until the patch notes hit.

First off, I kinda lied - if you're near the end of the Heavensward MSQ, you might like to know that patch 6.4 will include Duty Support NPCs for the first five MSQ dungeons in Stormblood. There's one dungeon at level 63 that's optional, but the others will let you run them with lore friendly NPCs for party members. If you've never run one before, they're neat, if notably slower to run than with actual factual people. As a note, the remaining Stormblood dungeons will have duty support added in 6.5, after which the entire MSQ can be played front to back with NPCs outside of the Crystal Tower raids and Trial fights.

Next, for PVP fiends we have the regular cycles of PVP series (the battlepass) and seasons (Crystalline Conflict rankings). Notable for Season 7 is that the top 100 players or Diamond tier and above will receive some new stuff, including an item to apply a weapon effect to hellhound weapons.

Some bigger news for Frontlines. A new UI element will be added to the top of the screen showing the current scores between all teams. Carteneau Flats (Secure) will be removed from rotation, and Fields of Glory (Shatter) will receive a ruleset and map. The base camps outside of spawn have been removed, and icebound tomeliths can respawn after being shattered. Check out the map change below:

Combat updates aren't usually revealed until the day of the patch notes, but two were called out this morning - first off, high level Paladins might be happy to know that Atonement won't interrupt an in-progress combo on use. Dragoons will be happy to know that Jump (and its later update High Jump) will now be usable while bound in place.

Ocean fishers might want to know that a new route will be added, taking you off the docks of Kugane.

Some other miscellaneous updates:
  • Scholars can finally join the pet glamour party, and can set their pet to Eos, Selene, or Carbuncle
  • Gear sets have been boosted to 100 (not glamour plates, don't get excited yet), and are unlocked immediately, instead of per job unlocked
  • A popular mod has received an official release, with job icons now displayable on name plates and chat messages.

• You can now select from different inventory types when applying glamours while inside of an inn room

• Face and back fashion accessories will now be displayed in combat in the overworld. While there's no support for displaying them in instances yet, the dev team has stated that they're still working on updating fashion accessories, so don't lose hope yet!
  • A toggle's been added to market listings showing the total cost of a purchase with the transaction fee incorporated

While not strictly updated related, if you're going to Fanfest you might want to know that there's going to be an early release combat encounter available as an activity. These are done with max level abilities, but if you're going and have some time, why not give it a shot?

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Vitamean posted:

Carteneau Flats (Secure) will be removed from rotation

Oh my god we're free, we're free.