Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I'm looking forward to 2030 when the government will finally, after much delay and cost overrun, release a flood tracking app. It won't work very well.

You are being unfair to future President for life, David Seymour. The app works fine, it's just that your phone doesn't function well underwater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

stay safe y'all, this rain is only meant to get stronger

Auckland CDEM promised an alert "in fifteen minutes" and that was more than half an hour ago

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

there it is lol

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
it's wet

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

first i'm hearing of it

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Lmao, and my landlord just finished renovating downstairs and finding a new tenant after last time.

:rubby:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

Lmao, and my landlord just finished renovating downstairs and finding a new tenant after last time.

:rubby:

He needs to send wayne brown an email

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Xik posted:

it's wet

Oh gently caress and just saw a school did an outdoor education caving trip in this and a student was swept away.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Yep it's really sad, there's gonna be someone in the poo poo for that decision. Poor kids who the gently caress takes people caving when heavy rains are forecast.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Varkk posted:

Oh gently caress and just saw a school did an outdoor education caving trip in this and a student was swept away.

Uhhh wtf why did they not cancel? Caving you need to be aware of what the weather is doing

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

uh apparently they were meant to be rock climbing but switched to caving because of the rain that was forecast???

quote:

The email, from the school's head of outdoor education Stevie Huurnink was sent to parents last Friday.

It said due to "forecasted rain" they had to modify “planned trips”.

"Initially, we had rock climbing scheduled. This has been changed to caving."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300873898/student-swept-away-on-school-trip-wasnt-meant-to-be-caving-leaked-email-reveals

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
gently caress man just take them to the movies, that's awful. If those are the same caves I went to on a college trip, there's a spot where you go under water to reach the next bit, and that's at a normal time of the year. So the water table isn't far away.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

"Initially, we had rock climbing scheduled. This has been changed to caving."

A parent who said her son's friend had been in the group who entered the cave a day earlier, said he told them the water had been "above their heads" in some areas.

I can see they got a group of the smartest people in the education sector together to come up with this plan.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Per that article

quote:

According to the Whangārei District Council website, the Abbey Caves are prone to flash flooding. It suggests people check the weather forecast before visiting.

Whoever was in charge of that trip is a loving idiot and got that student killed.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
Really reminiscent of the canyoning disaster back in 2008 where like 8 kids died after the Outdoor Pursuits Center ignored a weather warning. I remember that one really well because I'd done the same activity just a week before.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i can't wait for the mr ballen vid on this, with the obvious warnings and already bad weather

i wonder if worksafe still have their teeth after getting their poo poo thrown back at them after trying to prosecute gns over white island

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I know a barrister who was briefly defending the white island case. From what I heard, sounds like it was a total clown show, with a healthy dollop of "It's not our fault since we can't be responsable for anything."

I wonder how close that is/was to the other groups being mentioned here who are getting people killed under their watch.

mweb
Mar 14, 2019
:five: :nsamad:

This is just something for interest- this is a comparison film of the websites of the parties currently in Parliament on a MotoG4 Device on a 4G connection based out of Sydney:

https://www.webpagetest.org/video/v...sual&format=gif

You can see the comparison in a lot more detail at : https://www.webpagetest.org/video/c...val=100&end=lcp.

The Labour website loads the fastest. The Greens website loads a little slow because of a big ancient tree image in its homepage.

mweb fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 11, 2023

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

What has the boy mayor of Gore actually done/not done to lead to this? Because it kind of sounds like he's run head first into a council set to undermine him.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/489704/majority-of-gore-district-council-calls-on-mayor-ben-bell-to-resign

quote:

Since then, Gore District Council has been beset by controversies and discord.

They included a spat over Bell's wish to appoint his own executive assistant, expenses related to his trip to mayoral training in Wellington, a council retreat which was boycotted by some councillors, the mayor's plan for committee structure and membership, and the attempted requisition and ultimate resignation of his first-choice for deputy mayor.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

bike tory posted:

What has the boy mayor of Gore actually done/not done to lead to this? Because it kind of sounds like he's run head first into a council set to undermine him.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/489704/majority-of-gore-district-council-calls-on-mayor-ben-bell-to-resign

It certainly sounds like that is the case. Stuff like https://www.newsroom.co.nz/gore-allegations-pre-date-new-mayor doesn't exactly paint the CE and old Mayor in a good light either.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i'm gonna need some solid evidence before I believe that gore sucks

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i have faith in nz's queer capital to sort it out 👍

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Taitale posted:

It certainly sounds like that is the case. Stuff like https://www.newsroom.co.nz/gore-allegations-pre-date-new-mayor doesn't exactly paint the CE and old Mayor in a good light either.

lol drat

quote:

The council has paid out hundreds of thousands in severance settlements with staff, many with non-disclosure agreements

One dispute, with a former top executive Rebecca Tayler, who is the mother of new mayor Bell, cost the former council more than $300,000 in legal fees

small town politics ftw

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Greedy Old Gore

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
the sun was out today and i'm freezing my tits off

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

good thing you're not titty pageant

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Since David Seymour has announced his support of the Mayor of Gore, I am now willing to admit that the council may have valid reasons why they are trying to oust him.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/300877906/act-gun-policy-is-an-attack-on-kiwis-safety-police-union-says

let them fight

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Content to Hover posted:

Since David Seymour has announced his support of the Mayor of Gore, I am now willing to admit that the council may have valid reasons why they are trying to oust him.

Might be one of those situations where everyone involved sucks.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
if australia gets to be in eurovision why the gently caress are we not in it?????

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Booty Pageant posted:

if australia gets to be in eurovision why the gently caress are we not in it?????

I don't think that there is enough demand to recoup the cost of entry here.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Booty Pageant posted:

Not racist enough

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

We can be if we try

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Slavvy posted:

Not racist enough

We are definitely racist enough

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

the kerekere effect...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seeey-MOOOOUR

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
lol

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
the media is trying to manifest a nicola willis takeover so hard lol

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

16% and dropping as preferred pm is pretty brutal only 6 months out from an election tbf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
insane how low all the pre-luxton leaders were