Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

What being an American protectorate with gold mines does to a mfer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I swear the AI is just intentionally loving with me sometimes. I try a game as Wallachia and there's a permanent Austria-Germany alliance which both have DPs with the Ottomans by the 1860s. I play as one of the Great Lakes states and the UK laser focuses all of its colonial efforts on Kenya and the Rift Valley instead of going for stuff in West Africa. I play Persia and the UK allies the Ottomans and Russia allies Germany.

And no, I don't have the "extra aggression towards player" thing turned on.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RabidWeasel posted:

I swear the AI is just intentionally loving with me sometimes. I try a game as Wallachia and there's a permanent Austria-Germany alliance which both have DPs with the Ottomans by the 1860s. I play as one of the Great Lakes states and the UK laser focuses all of its colonial efforts on Kenya and the Rift Valley instead of going for stuff in West Africa. I play Persia and the UK allies the Ottomans and Russia allies Germany.

And no, I don't have the "extra aggression towards player" thing turned on.
I've had poo poo like this happen to me in EU4. I never once saw Poland ally Bosnia... but if I play as Serbia? Poland allies Bosnia 100% of the time. I dont know what it is but it seems to be a paradox thing.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The most consistent way to see the Ottomans collapse in EU4 is starting a new game after rage quitting a Byzantium game that failed in 1460.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I've had poo poo like this happen to me in EU4. I never once saw Poland ally Bosnia... but if I play as Serbia? Poland allies Bosnia 100% of the time. I dont know what it is but it seems to be a paradox thing.

i'm not sure if i believe Paradox when they say it only knows you're the player if ytou enable the option, but things like this can be answered by things like "Poland sees a stronger Serbia threatening Bosnia", so indirectly bc of the player

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lady Radia posted:

i'm not sure if i believe Paradox when they say it only knows you're the player if ytou enable the option, but things like this can be answered by things like "Poland sees a stronger Serbia threatening Bosnia", so indirectly bc of the player
This is a fair point but its usually less than a month into the game so I wouldnt think I was that much more powerful yet. Its probably just confirmation bias on my part but it sure feels fishy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah you have tiny nations somehow able to ally with powerful nations some way away just so you can't expand. If you tried the same it would be impossible with all the penalizing modifiers from being so tiny and weak but those somehow don't matter.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
ya it’s strange

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

sus amogus

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

This is a fair point but its usually less than a month into the game so I wouldnt think I was that much more powerful yet. Its probably just confirmation bias on my part but it sure feels fishy.

you can make yourself seem way stronger than the AI would be within the first month pretty easily in EU4. building as much infantry as you can afford is a common day 1 move for players but uncommon for small tag AIs which usually assume they can get away with their starting army for a few months at least. afaik this would be more or less the only way you could spook the AI within the first month other than getting a good alliance.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Poil posted:

Yeah you have tiny nations somehow able to ally with powerful nations some way away just so you can't expand. If you tried the same it would be impossible with all the penalizing modifiers from being so tiny and weak but those somehow don't matter.

I do this when playing as Norway though. Allying France and/or Poland is my go-to for getting independence from Denmark early on, even though there's clearly nothing in it for them since Norway is dirt poor and weak. Sometimes it takes a little more diplomatic buttering-up, but it's generally pretty consistent.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Almost halfway through a Persia game, now that my economy is starting to snowball I'm thinking about turning money into troops and doing a bit of light imperialism. But what is actually good to invade? The most obvious thing is restoring pretty borders with Oman, who's protected by France so in the long run that might be how I get recognized. But idk what's actually worth conquering for reasons other than literally just painting the map- maybe it'll matter more once my domestic economy starts to reach its limit. Could just find a bunch of states to force into my market and drain their population by immigrants

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Almost halfway through a Persia game, now that my economy is starting to snowball I'm thinking about turning money into troops and doing a bit of light imperialism. But what is actually good to invade? The most obvious thing is restoring pretty borders with Oman, who's protected by France so in the long run that might be how I get recognized. But idk what's actually worth conquering for reasons other than literally just painting the map- maybe it'll matter more once my domestic economy starts to reach its limit. Could just find a bunch of states to force into my market and drain their population by immigrants

Persia has a fairly unusual culture setup in that your heritage is Middle Eastern but you share cultural traits with a bunch of Central Asian cultures. The upside of this is that even if you don't have multiculturalism, you can conquer everything between Egypt and the Stans and fully tolerate all the pops, assuming you liberalised all the way. If you can somehow wrangle getting into the Russian market you'll be able to siphon off an absolute assload of pops from them, though Russia usually hates you in my experience.

Pakistan is the only nearby state which is a must have, since it's high pop and IIRC has a ton of coal and iron, but you don't tolerate its culture until you liberalise. Other than that, just force the Ottomans and Russia to release territory and then puppet or conquer it. Russia has a ton of releasables and the Ottomans have Iraq and (if they got it from Egypt) Syria.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Persia's most obvious shortcoming is Iron. You start with just a single size-36 deposit, which is not nearly enough for a developed industrial economy. You also start with not much dye availability (needed for clothes and porcelain) and no coffee or tea (needed to fulfill demand for luxury drinks). Later on, you'll find that there's no rubber and very little oil, too. Really, coal is your only resource that's truly plentiful. None of this will have a very strong impact in the early development period of your economy, but once the snowball starts rolling, you're gonna find you need a lot more of this stuff than you have available—especially once you break into the hundreds of construction points and you have a bunch of railroads and upgraded buildings you need to support. You can trade for it, but that's always less efficient than producing it yourself. edit: you can also join another country's market as mentioned above, which may be good in the short to mid term, but I find that the AI never develops fast enough to meet my needs.

As Persia, pretty much my opening move would be to vassalize Afghanistan. They have a little bit of extra iron, and they open the gates to the Sikh Empire. Once my infamy cools down from the Afghan war, I'd immediately try to vassalize the Sikh Empire (estimated to be 49.5 infamy at the game start, just under that threshold of 50). Punjab is a god-tier state, and you want that in your own Persian Empire before the foul Anglos can snap it up. From there, I guess I'd look at cleaning up Baluchistan and Sindh (if available) and colonizing East Africa. Taking Zulu and the Boers is a good idea too, mainly for that sweet sweet iron. And you'll definitely want to annex the Sikh Empire eventually since the AI won't develop Punjab to its full potential. As Persia, you should be able to build a massive economy with these resources available. (this is an entirely untested game plan, but it seems feasible. though toppling the Sikhs will require some extensive militarization in the early game)

Starting from the midpoint of the campaign will be more difficult since I assume that Punjab and Sindh are no longer up for grabs, though the rest of the region might be. East Africa may be colonized by the British already too. Though you can still try to take Zulu and the Boers since the AI tends to leave them alone. Any further expansion is likely going to lead to conflict with the great powers, so I guess it's time to build up your military and show them who the greatest power really is.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 7, 2023

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Persia's most obvious shortcoming is Iron. You start with just a single size-36 deposit, which is not nearly enough for a developed industrial economy. You also start with not much dye availability (needed for clothes and porcelain) and no coffee or tea (needed to fulfill demand for luxury drinks). Later on, you'll find that there's no rubber and very little oil, too. Really, coal is your only resource that's truly plentiful. None of this will have a very strong impact in the early development period of your economy, but once the snowball starts rolling, you're gonna find you need a lot more of this stuff than you have available—especially once you break into the hundreds of construction points and you have a bunch of railroads and upgraded buildings you need to support. You can trade for it, but that's always less efficient than producing it yourself. edit: you can also join another country's market as mentioned above, which may be good in the short to mid term, but I find that the AI never develops fast enough to meet my needs.

As Persia, pretty much my opening move would be to vassalize Afghanistan. They have a little bit of extra iron, and they open the gates to the Sikh Empire. Once my infamy cools down from the Afghan war, I'd immediately try to vassalize the Sikh Empire (estimated to be 49.5 infamy at the game start, just under that threshold of 50). Punjab is a god-tier state, and you want that in your own Persian Empire before the foul Anglos can snap it up. From there, I guess I'd look at cleaning up Baluchistan and Sindh (if available) and colonizing East Africa. Taking Zulu and the Boers is a good idea too, mainly for that sweet sweet iron. And you'll definitely want to annex the Sikh Empire eventually since the AI won't develop Punjab to its full potential. As Persia, you should be able to build a massive economy with these resources available. (this is an entirely untested game plan, but it seems feasible. though toppling the Sikhs will require some extensive militarization in the early game)

Starting from the midpoint of the campaign will be more difficult since I assume that Punjab and Sindh are no longer up for grabs, though the rest of the region might be. East Africa may be colonized by the British already too. Though you can still try to take Zulu and the Boers since the AI tends to leave them alone. Any further expansion is likely going to lead to conflict with the great powers, so I guess it's time to build up your military and show them who the greatest power really is.
Not to nitpick because I know you know your stuff, but Persia gets Tea in Mazarandan and Tabriz, and gets a throughput bonus to Dyes in Khorasan (eidt its a size 27 deposit) and has a size 15 deposit of Dyes in Sistan (though Sistan is a hellblasted desert that has no pops). I'm not saying you wont need more Dyes but its a good start, enough to do an export economy of it early when Euros are thirsty for it. You also get more Dyes and Iron from easily conquered Baluchistan. I have played Persia a couple times because I like the mid-sized start and the location. I've found success conquering Makran right off the bat then immediately going for Sindh to keep it out the grubby hands of the British. No one tends to mess with [s]sasquatch[/] Afganistan early in the game so I tend to leave them be and once managed to conquer Punjab from the Sikh empire after nabbing Sindh (I should have puppeted the whole country but I was dumb). You can get Tobacco and more Oil by conquering Iraq from the Ottomans and even more Oil by retaking your Azerbaijan core from Russia, and more Iron from taking your Armenia core back (and there is more Iron in Georgia). Since you're going to be messing with Oman to re-take that god forsaken Gwadar treaty port of theirs in the Baluchistan state, I take Zanzibar from them and rush colonizing stuff to colonize and close off Kenya from the avaricious westerners. You can also get Tobacco in the state of Oman if you dont want to fight the Ottomans.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 7, 2023

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I’m extremely curious to see how an AI that actually develops its lands will affect the game’s economy. I would be very wary of adjusting resources numbers and such until that works.

————
So, finally completed Hegemon as Prussia. Went for big Germany, obviously. So far, I would say the path to 1886 is extremely fun: there’s a lot to do, much to manage and every choice matters. Once you get in the top 3 GP position, I find the fun starts going down, with it hitting a vertical cliff downward as you hit number one. Mostly as a hegemon the big problem is most of the world stops mattering. The AI isn’t able to function well past 1900. I found myself slowly switching everything to auto build, and hit around 6000 construction points but rarely had it used above 3000 (all my resources where fully developed, and arable lands also) there wasn’t much trading to do since the AI still reigned over empty swats of land. So I conquered and developed, until I ticked off the pop requirement. The front situation for wars isnt too bad considering how hands off they are, my biggest problem was anything related to generals UX: the constant dying, replacements and promotions of generals is a pain more than anything. There’s a lot of work there yet to streamline the experience.

TLDR: 1836-1886 is great, after that not so much.

Looking forward to try Japan next for an equality playthrough.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Not to nitpick because I know you know your stuff, but Persia gets Tea in Mazarandan and Tabriz, and gets a throughput bonus to Dyes in Khorasan (eidt its a size 27 deposit) and has a size 15 deposit of Dyes in Sistan (though Sistan is a hellblasted desert that has no pops). I'm not saying you wont need more Dyes but its a good start, enough to do an export economy of it early when Euros are thirsty for it. You also get more Dyes and Iron from easily conquered Baluchistan. I have played Persia a couple times because I like the mid-sized start and the location. I've found success conquering Makran right off the bat then immediately going for Sindh to keep it out the grubby hands of the British. No one tends to mess with [s]sasquatch[/] Afganistan early in the game so I tend to leave them be and once managed to conquer Punjab from the Sikh empire after nabbing Sindh (I should have puppeted the whole country but I was dumb). You can get Tobacco and more Oil by conquering Iraq from the Ottomans and even more Oil by retaking your Azerbaijan core from Russia, and more Iron from taking your Armenia core back (and there is more Iron in Georgia). Since you're going to be messing with Oman to re-take that god forsaken Gwadar treaty port of theirs in the Baluchistan state, I take Zanzibar from them and rush colonizing stuff to colonize and close off Kenya from the avaricious westerners. You can also get Tobacco in the state of Oman if you dont want to fight the Ottomans.

For the tea, fair enough. I totally missed that. For the dyes, I mentioned that you do have some, but it's really just a fraction of what you'll need once you start the path to heavy industrialization.

You certainly know more about playing Persia than I do since I haven't actually done a Persia campaign before. These are all good ideas. I still think rushing Punjab should be a priority, though. I've seen EIC conquer it pretty early a lot, so it's not something you want to wait too long to take for yourself in my opinion, and it never hurts to have that state in your control. Worming your way in through Sindh may be a better move than Afghanistan.

edit: to address the OP's original question, the purpose of expansion in this game isn't really map painting for map painting's sake at first, but instead it's to provide enough resources to build a massive economy so you can make GDP line go up and bring your population to high standards of living. And if you want, with a high enough GDP, you can continue painting the rest of the map as you please, just for the hell of it. If you don't feel like there's a point in expanding at all by the mid point of the game as a large-ish country with some limited resources like Persia, then you probably haven't built up your economy as much as you should.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 7, 2023

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Think I'm gonna call my Persia game around 1914 or so. Picked the absolute worst time in the tech tree to start getting my warmonger on, so I probably won't be able to build up enough to get recognition. Still had a lot of fun, feels like it's still kinda barebones but most of the core loop works well. Questions/impressions/lessons learned:
- How could I have improved my technology quicker? I was basically building up universities up to my innovation cap starting maybe a few years too late in the game, and I got level 2-3 schools up, but even by endgame my literacy was only like 60-70%. I was still stuck unrecognized with censorship so that probably didn't help things, and i never got the last two levels of public schooling. Never seemed to have issues with qualifications though
-how do you manage early warmongering? I was pretty touch and go on the budget the first few decades, I probably should have vassalized some neighbors but I don't know how I'd afford that while also industrializing.
-politically I ended up with trade unions and intelligentsia in power, buoyed by universal suffrage providing shitloads of votes for the unions. But there was a conservative megaparty of armed forces, devout, petty bourgeois, and the thankfully minor landowners that was able to frustrate most of my attempts at further reform- the devout in particular had a lot of pull with the laborers. Had to give up attempts to disestablish the church because it'd cause a revolution, and most of my population and thus most of my troops were outside the capital. I think long run church schools and hospitals were still worth it, but wrenching those away from the devout was very difficult.
-really felt a population crunch midgame, resources weren't terrible except rubber and I was only just starting to really need that. Was kept afloat by the occasional Kurdish migration from the Ottomans, but I really needed more labor (and troops, for that matter) and to a lesser extent cheap inputs and I'm not sure how to get that. Did have open borders but all the vassals I forced into my market didn't so so much for that.
-starting around 1880 when exponential growth started to take off I basically put everything on auto expand which worked and my economy didn't die, but I do feel like it massively over expanded a lot of stuff. Not sure how I'd manage my construction otherwise, especially given that all things considered I didn't really have that much compared to some of the great powers

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Think I'm gonna call my Persia game around 1914 or so. Picked the absolute worst time in the tech tree to start getting my warmonger on, so I probably won't be able to build up enough to get recognition. Still had a lot of fun, feels like it's still kinda barebones but most of the core loop works well. Questions/impressions/lessons learned:
- How could I have improved my technology quicker? I was basically building up universities up to my innovation cap starting maybe a few years too late in the game, and I got level 2-3 schools up, but even by endgame my literacy was only like 60-70%. I was still stuck unrecognized with censorship so that probably didn't help things, and i never got the last two levels of public schooling. Never seemed to have issues with qualifications though
-how do you manage early warmongering? I was pretty touch and go on the budget the first few decades, I probably should have vassalized some neighbors but I don't know how I'd afford that while also industrializing.
-politically I ended up with trade unions and intelligentsia in power, buoyed by universal suffrage providing shitloads of votes for the unions. But there was a conservative megaparty of armed forces, devout, petty bourgeois, and the thankfully minor landowners that was able to frustrate most of my attempts at further reform- the devout in particular had a lot of pull with the laborers. Had to give up attempts to disestablish the church because it'd cause a revolution, and most of my population and thus most of my troops were outside the capital. I think long run church schools and hospitals were still worth it, but wrenching those away from the devout was very difficult.
-really felt a population crunch midgame, resources weren't terrible except rubber and I was only just starting to really need that. Was kept afloat by the occasional Kurdish migration from the Ottomans, but I really needed more labor (and troops, for that matter) and to a lesser extent cheap inputs and I'm not sure how to get that. Did have open borders but all the vassals I forced into my market didn't so so much for that.
-starting around 1880 when exponential growth started to take off I basically put everything on auto expand which worked and my economy didn't die, but I do feel like it massively over expanded a lot of stuff. Not sure how I'd manage my construction otherwise, especially given that all things considered I didn't really have that much compared to some of the great powers

1. Just to clarify as a lot of people get this wrong; literacy doesn't give you tech directly, it just increases the cap on innovation going into directed research. Innovation over the cap is 20% efficient per tech which is spreading to you. If you're behind in tech and getting tech spread in 3 areas, that's 60% efficiency, which isn't that bad. Also, you need to take into account that universities get the same throughput bonus as everything else, so ideally you want to get a size 51 university in your capital ASAP along with the Shift Work tech, this also makes your intelligensia strong since it gives academic jobs and clout in the capital is increased. You can build more universities than this, but this effectively gives you the most efficient returns for your investment. Obviously this is all contingent on having enough cash to pay for the thing, and if you become super rich you can crank your capital university up to ludicrous levels of size.

2. Most of the time it's optimal to vassal / puppet, then annex later, for several reasons; it's less infamy, your vassals give you money for nothing and you get to use their armies without having to integrate or build government admin buildings, and you can also get a bit of extra cash by enforcing war reparations at the same time. In terms of targets as Persia, you're pretty hemmed in, but if you build up a navy you can go for soft targets in Africa and Indonesia such as Zulu and Borneo. Hopefully you can eclipse the OE and start taking chunks out of them, but in my experience you'll eventually get to a point where you can't start a war in the Middle East or Central Asia without Russia getting involved. Beating Russia is possible but you'll need a large army and probably a tech advantage as well.

3. I'd generally advise against church hospitals since you don't usually need the population growth that much early on, and the extra church power is difficult to deal with; I do usually use church education to allow faster industrialisation. Reform your religion laws away from state religion ASAP, then change the PM on your universities, urgan centres and government admin buildings to secular / free churches. This will result in the church IG quickly becoming irrelevant as the clergy lose all their jobs (this also massively boosts the intelligensia). If you leave this too late they can get quite entrenched as you've noticed

4. For migration, either get into a big market (France, UK, Austria and Russia are all good) or go on a conquering spree. As you've noted, there's currently no way to force migration allowed laws on your subjects so you'll need to take the land yourself directly.

5. When I get into really dumb levels of construction I start finding random states with ~200-300k peasants or unemployed and just slamming down a size 51 building of some type, but this only works if your country is huge.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 9, 2023

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
I had a great punjab game going, but I instigated a priesthood revolt to pass public schools. I handled the revolt easily by stacking barracks in my capital, but they got the coasts. I won in a few weeks but in that time they deleted half of my farms in sindh and all but two of my ports.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Think I'm gonna call my Persia game around 1914 or so. Picked the absolute worst time in the tech tree to start getting my warmonger on, so I probably won't be able to build up enough to get recognition.

Trench infantry is hell

For recognition wars, never just go for recognition. Having it as your only war goal means you have to occupy a great power's capital which is generally hell to do. If you assign a second war goal, generally a weak underbelly island, you can get the GP to negative war support by occupying that war goal. Like a random Pacific Ocean island. Start a war for recognition + that island, naval invade it so you now have 100% wargoals achieved, and defend your home territory and wait for their war support to tick down.

Recognition costs a lot for some reason (Europeans going :wotwot: ) so trying to do little wars and sneaking in recognition helps. I'm a fan of grabbing Alaska from Russia, but AI improvements, the size of Alaska, and how many countries have a land border with Russia make it dangerous.

e:
Doing an Ottoman game recently, I was able to beat Russia by holding the line on my land borders and sneaking in some armies into their capital, then waiting for it it tick down too. Use that trench infantry defense hell to your advantage!
Russia seems real slow on updating their troops too, but not sure if that's just my own confirmation bias when I see it.

Since 1.2 the recognition war goal lets you occupy any GP territory to get their war support below 0. Poke some weak easy to grab island still works, but no need to add conquering said easy island/state as a war goal to do the recognition war easier.

RabidWeasel posted:

1. Just to clarify as a lot of people get this wrong; literacy doesn't give you tech directly, it just increases the cap on innovation going into directed research. Innovation over the cap is 20% efficient per tech which is spreading to you. If you're behind in tech and getting tech spread in 3 areas, that's 60% efficiency, which isn't that bad. Also, you need to take into account that universities get the same throughput bonus as everything else, so ideally you want to get a size 51 university in your capital ASAP along with the Shift Work tech, this also makes your intelligensia strong since it gives academic jobs and clout in the capital is increased. You can build more universities than this, but this effectively gives you the most efficient returns for your investment. Obviously this is all contingent on having enough cash to pay for the thing, and if you become super rich you can crank your capital university up to ludicrous levels of size.

Oooh, this is good to know! I usually hover a bit over my innovation cap, better build more :eng101: houses!

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 10, 2023

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

StashAugustine posted:

How much did you expand early game? I'm not sure if you saw my recent post about Persia but you can munch on Makran/Baluchistan and Sindh pretty quickly early on before too many GPs stick their nose into that part of the world, which gets you some pops and needed resources. If your only border with Russia is the Caucasus area you can actually bully them pretty effectively through the whole game, because if you're up on tech and just defend they stand almost no chance of pushing you out of the mountains. As Persia I got recognition from Russia in the 70s or 80s by getting to and updating a military tech (I think Shrapnel artillery but I may be mis-remembering) ahead of them. Once the "switch to a new military tech" malus wore off I did a war to return my cores, force recognition, and war reps on Russia. I just sat there in the mountains and taunted them a while. Eventually they wore themselves down on my mountain fortresses so when I had everyone else knocked out of the war I put alllll my troops on that one front and pushed enough to occupy the wargoal and peace them out for everything. This was a patch or two ago though. I also had beat up Oman multiple times so I had Zanzibar before they lost it and I had colonized Kenya, locking East Africa in as MINE, which was really nice.

RabidWeasel posted:

This is an insane amount of Universities. Wouldnt you have to be huge to be able to afford that many?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Universities aren't that expensive so long as you keep the price of paper under control. Also if you get proportional taxes you have so much drat money that slamming down 3 universities in every state moslty just costs you a couple construction sectors worth of income

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I feel like when you really need that for Persia you can't afford it. You're gonna spend a long time behind the tech curve.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I didn't expand at all as Persia early on, which came back to bite me. I didn't realize excess innovation applies to tech spread, so I'll have to overbuild more there. I'll keep the recognition tips in mind next time I play an unrecognized power

I'm starting a new game as Brazil to get the feeling of bullying all my neighbors, plus seeing how long I can stay a reactionary monarchy before it blows up on me. Seems like in the early game Brazil just lacks sulfur really, so better get cracking into the Andes regions I guess. One thing is that I seem to remember on release international trade was pretty strong and you were able to supply fledgling industries by importing (I got through most of a Sweden game without actually building any explosives) but currently it seems hard to get inputs in bulk. Not sure if that's just a problem being isolated from European markets, but neither England nor America seems to be exporting large amounts of sulfur.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Scrublord Prime posted:

Russia seems real slow on updating their troops too, but not sure if that's just my own confirmation bias when I see it.

If I remember correctly, Peasant Levies massively reduce what techs you can use for your armies. Since Russia starts with that law, unless they pass a new one, they're screwed militarily once better techs start coming online. And even if they do pass the law, then they need to actually start building up the factories to make guns and bullets to actually use the new techs, so it takes even longer.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, Russia seems to be set up for being a punching bag for recognition wars. Even as Persia- once your military is advanced enough, even if you can't break through their numbers, they can't break through your modern troops and good defensive terrain. Get them locked up on your border and then just invade St. Petersburg. Works even better if you have an ally on their border- anyone will do, even China or the Ottomans. Just something to distract them.

Invading St. Petersburg after a war with Russia has been going on a while is basically just an instant win option. Even better if you've been fighting them in the far east. It takes them forever to get their troops back and you can occupy huge swathes of their most valuable land.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah the one advantage you have over your neighbors as the sikh empire is that you start with professional troops so you can presumably roll everyone to the west of you.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

This is an insane amount of Universities. Wouldnt you have to be huge to be able to afford that many?

I had a recent game as Sokoto where I had a size 31 university in like 1860 while still being stuck with the starting tax law so it seems feasible as long as you're at least moderately sized

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tankbuster posted:

yeah the one advantage you have over your neighbors as the sikh empire is that you start with professional troops so you can presumably roll everyone to the west of you.
This reminds me about how I found it super interesting in reading a book about The Great Game that the British were loving terrified of the Sikh empire. In the Early 1800s, the EIC's border with the Sikh Empire was the wild west and the British had no ability to project power there without significant effort.

RabidWeasel posted:

I had a recent game as Sokoto where I had a size 31 university in like 1860 while still being stuck with the starting tax law so it seems feasible as long as you're at least moderately sized
Huh. When I start playing again after the DLC/patch I'll have to give it a try.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Having a ton of excess innovation also allows you to get away with researching some techs beyond your current tier. You can rush Malaria Prevention for instance and still have a bunch of techs roll in from your passive tech spread.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Having a ton of excess innovation also allows you to get away with researching some techs beyond your current tier. You can rush Malaria Prevention for instance and still have a bunch of techs roll in from your passive tech spread.

I've not really experimented with this but the two anti-malarial techs are probably the only ones worth rushing, or possibly some mil techs if you know you need a leg up in a major war. It's a 25% increased cost for every missing lower tier tech, plus the higher tier techs are already more expensive in the first place, so it does slow your tech speed down a lot.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you have good literacy and a boatload of innovation, then you're going to become the tech leader, and eventually you'll stop getting tech spread anyway. Rushing a couple key techs may slow down your rate of tech momentarily, but it'll even out in the end since you'll be able to make better use of tech spread.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Niche case but early game as some minors, researching a +minting or -interest rate tech at the right moment has staved off me bottoming out my credit just long enough to get the snowball rolling.

Ofc, that's early-game enough that universities are just a gleam in the eye of my overworked construction industry, so I'm sure not rushing them.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Dirk the Average posted:

If I remember correctly, Peasant Levies massively reduce what techs you can use for your armies. Since Russia starts with that law, unless they pass a new one, they're screwed militarily once better techs start coming online. And even if they do pass the law, then they need to actually start building up the factories to make guns and bullets to actually use the new techs, so it takes even longer.

Didn’t this get discussed some weeks ago, with the conclusion that military laws don’t restrict techs. The Victoria 3 wiki says nothing about tech restrictions as well https://vic3.paradoxwikis.com/Power_structure_laws

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I don't think the wiki mentions which production methods (not techs!) are restricted by what laws?

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Looking in the production methods files, peasant levies:

Caps regular barracks at squad infantry and mobile artillery with bicycle recon and only allows machine gun specialists
Caps conscription centers at line infantry with no artillery, recon, or specialists allowed

So it's pretty bad!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

OddObserver posted:

I don't think the wiki mentions which production methods (not techs!) are restricted by what laws?
It does mention it actually! Just under Production Methods, not the laws for some reason.

It's really hard to parse the limitations on that page though! You have to keep in mind that conscription centers and barracks have different limits. Your barracks can have whatever kind of infantry, only limiting the artillery, first excluding Shrapnel Artillery. It also limits a bunch of late game stuff for your regular army.

Conscription centers can't even have Skirmish Infantry.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Scrublord Prime posted:

For recognition wars, never just go for recognition. Having it as your only war goal means you have to occupy a great power's capital which is generally hell to do. If you assign a second war goal, generally a weak underbelly island, you can get the GP to negative war support by occupying that war goal. Like a random Pacific Ocean island. Start a war for recognition + that island, naval invade it so you now have 100% wargoals achieved, and defend your home territory and wait for their war support to tick down.

Seems like a great tip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Scrublord Prime posted:

Trench infantry is hell

Recognition costs a lot for some reason (Europeans going :wotwot: ) so trying to do little wars and sneaking in recognition helps. I'm a fan of grabbing Alaska from Russia, but AI improvements, the size of Alaska, and how many countries have a land border with Russia make it dangerous.

e:
Doing an Ottoman game recently, I was able to beat Russia by holding the line on my land borders and sneaking in some armies into their capital, then waiting for it it tick down too. Use that trench infantry defense hell to your advantage!

Oooh, this is good to know! I usually hover a bit over my innovation cap, better build more :eng101: houses!

That is not how that works - you have to contest all wargoals to get their war support down but Recognition just requires you to occupy *any* part of the GP since 1.2.