Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

CuddleCryptid posted:

The update that logged what items did what to curios was a great one, but at the same time just spamming items at curios until they did something and then writing down what it was (or just using a guide sheet) kind of summed up the entire experience with the game.

i think that might have been after i packed it in with the game, it really ground me down. i got to the darkest dungeon and then realising i needed a whole bunch of level 6 characters to avoid the penalties and all the grinding that entailed (and the inevitable losses i'm sure the darkest dungeon will put you through) meant i just lost all motivation. it's like a game purpose-built to appeal to the people who played it for years in early access.

turning it into a roguelike is probably way better though it's a bit disappointing that it's got strict power scaling metaprogression, doesn't feel like the kind of game that wants that. idm it as much as other people and i think it's fine in like, hades or rogue legacy where they form a coherent part of the game's system and stealthily blend increases in player skill together with metaprog upgrades to make runs feel meaningful to a broader playerbase. dd always felt like more of a strict player-skill game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Serephina posted:

The gators are probably the hardest combat in the game imo, don't feel bad about those assholes. You just kinda have to learn how to sidestep their bites (running away does not work at all) and get through the gauntlet to the save point. I feel once you've done West Garden the trial by fire is over, and everything else is unwelcoming-but-fair. Use the magic wand thingie for the fairies and don't hesitate to burn consumables on the gators or other hard fights.

No magic wand thingy but I assume it can't be far! Just like a few bombs and various items that are so limited I'm scared to use them.

Bad Seafood posted:

Have you leveled up your stats? I didn't figure out how to do that until after the West Gardens boss (grumble grumble)

I can what. Please tell me how to do this! I think I have the corresponding manual page but I can't figure what I'm supposed to do with it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Artelier posted:

No magic wand thingy but I assume it can't be far! Just like a few bombs and various items that are so limited I'm scared to use them.

I can what. Please tell me how to do this! I think I have the corresponding manual page but I can't figure what I'm supposed to do with it.

Take a look at page 18

More explicit hint: you have to press tab/L1 when standing next to a shrine

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Artelier posted:

Check your inventory next time you rest at a shrine.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

Are there any space based games like Mount and Blade, MechWarrior 5 or Battle Brothers where you control a single ship but can recruit other ships to fly with you?

If you don't mind a game that's 30 years old, there's Star Control 2 slash its remake, Ur-Quan Masters. The whole point of the game is that you fly around in a space ship, make alien buddies and get new types of space ships to have pew-pew space fights with. There is also the sort-of sequel Star Control Origins, but this got fairly mixed reviews and I wouldn't really recommend this as much as SC2. I think I mostly liked it because it's the same type of game play and goofy humour, but it's definitely not as inspired as its predecessor.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Did they make the carriage not be such a chore to use in DD2?

If it's at least controllable through an overhead map that'll be a significant improvement.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Deakul posted:

Did they make the carriage not be such a chore to use in DD2?

If it's at least controllable through an overhead map that'll be a significant improvement.

It's basically just "go forward and pick which crossroad you want to take" so...yes? Unless you mean to pre-select a path on the map in which case no.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

sebmojo posted:

The writing between ea and release was done by a goon

I didn't know that! That rules.

I think there's room in my life for both Darkest Dungeon games, they do different things and one is more stripped back and fast, and one is more fiddly and thoughtful. Inside me there are several wolves

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's basically just "go forward and pick which crossroad you want to take" so...yes? Unless you mean to pre-select a path on the map in which case no.

That's a shame, maybe it'll be a mod.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Should I play Pathfinder: Kingmaker before its sequel?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

a7m2 posted:

They aren't really related past taking part in the same world. There are a couple little callbacks, that's all.
I'd also say it's quite enough to play one game to get Pathfinder fatigue and WotR is (in my opinion) both easier and better.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

a7m2 posted:

Not really. They aren't directly connected and Wrath is better in literally every way.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Deakul posted:

That's a shame, maybe it'll be a mod.

It does stop at each crossroads automatically, so you can take as much time to decide and check the map as you want before each branch. I remember in the really early access versions you had to decide on the fly or come to a stop quickly.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://presse.plaion.com/CODE-COMPLETE-SYSTEMS-ONLINE

System Shock has finally gone gold and will come out in 3 weeks.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Looks like a Spellforce franchise sale has come up.

What's the most Goon recommended one?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

https://presse.plaion.com/CODE-COMPLETE-SYSTEMS-ONLINE

System Shock has finally gone gold and will come out in 3 weeks.

lmaooooooo FINALLY I am excited

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Didn't think this would be a genre but uhhh...Dorfromantik-likes?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1730250/Panorama/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gimmick! special edition comes out July 6th, will have rewind, leaderboards and save states

Nova Lands releases in June (free prologue available)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

I really liked 2 and 3 - you can't go wrong with either.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Sininu posted:

Does anyone know how Steam Family Share picks which account to use for a game if multiple people are sharing that game to you?
I have bunch of friends sharing their libraries with me and often when somebody gets a new game the Family Share decides I get that game from their library instead. Usually it doesn't matter, but it's quite annoying when it decides a game should move to a person who's currently addicted to idle games.
I wish I could just pick whose library I get a game from.

Reposting from bottom of the page

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
It sounds like Darkest Dungeon 2 shouldn't have been named that and had a more relevant name instead. Darkest Expedition, Darkest Dungeon: Journeys, ETC...

Changing the title just a bit would have been the easiest way to signal to the audience that this is going to be different than the first game. Why wasn't that done at anytime during Early Access?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If you think about it for three seconds you might understand why.

Orv
May 4, 2011

E. Revenant posted:

It sounds like Darkest Dungeon 2 shouldn't have been named that and had a more relevant name instead. Darkest Expedition, Darkest Dungeon: Journeys, ETC...

Changing the title just a bit would have been the easiest way to signal to the audience that this is going to be different than the first game. Why wasn't that done at anytime during Early Access?

Because the joke post about developers being required to make the same game forever or gamers will freak out wasn’t actually a joke at all. Shocking I know.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Let's face it. There's no correct way to leave a bad review for DD2.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Instead of moving through the woods on foot you move through it in a carriage. This gameplay change, along with the *clear* lack of dungeons, means that this game is clearly fraudulent. In this class action lawsuit we will-

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

E. Revenant posted:

believe it or not, sequels to games are allowed to be different than the game they are a sequel to

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
currently leaving an angry review on the Baldur's Gate 2 steam page for taking place in some other fictional city

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
My sources say the death penalty, for false advertising, being considered for the developers of Darkest Dungeon. I am pro-life and take no pleasure in reporting this.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Way to early to even know if it'll finish but: wot if cuphead was a FPS? https://store.steampowered.com/app/2416450/Mouse/

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

kazil posted:

believe it or not, sequels to games are allowed to be different than the game they are a sequel to

Dune
Dune 2

:hmmyes:

edit:
"Am not legally distinct Kyle MacLachlan. What the fuk is this poo poo?"

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 9, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011

kazil posted:

This kind of thinking got us World of Warcraft and that’s clearly panned out well.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Blizzard named the game about Lilith “Diablo”

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jack Trades posted:

Didn't think this would be a genre but uhhh...Dorfromantik-likes?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1730250/Panorama/

Dorfromantik is just Carcassonne really. I am all in favour of more.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Blizzard named the game about Lilith “Diablo”

There's zero chance that Diablo is not in the game.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Jack Trades posted:

Maybe Diablo is the friends we made along the way

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Surprise it’s Diablo’s evil twin, Dosablo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Diablon’t

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mordja posted:

Way to early to even know if it'll finish but: wot if cuphead was a FPS? https://store.steampowered.com/app/2416450/Mouse/

I know they aren't taking pre-orders or anything but surely if you are going to be making a steam store page you should be having more than four drawing wrapped around a unity shooter engine to show?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

GreatGreen posted:

Eh, I'm not sure that I can recommend them.

You'll get a very long and pretty Dungeon Siege-ish RPG with some, frankly, lame RTS battles that are just blobathons.

But I only played 3 for a couple of hours before just sort of losing interest.

HopperUK posted:

Dorfromantik is just Carcassonne really. I am all in favour of more.

Speaking of, I kind of love Dorfromantik and absolutely want more chill low stakes city builders... what are my options these days?
I've tried the Anno games but I get a bit overwhelmed by the whole trade system.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CuddleCryptid posted:

I know they aren't taking pre-orders or anything but surely if you are going to be making a steam store page you should be having more than four drawing wrapped around a unity shooter engine to show?

Yeah it's a neat idea but, uh, appears to be lacking in everything except for "hey ain't this art cool?"