Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’ve had one good crew for a personal move. Everything was great until their office billing team added an extra 0 to my invoice and it took 3 days to reverse the $10k off my card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Dr. Eldarion posted:

This was a big plus for us on packing everything up ourselves with a Pods pod. They don't get a key to it so things won't go missing, and if anything is damaged it's because we hosed it up ourselves.

Thumbs up for the Pods, although I'm getting old enough I don't think I want to try jamming furniture into a pod anymore.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
One of my tenants is a moving company and the guy straight up told me, "do not move any time soon if you can help it" because the only people he can find to hire are so poo poo that he expects them to either quit or be fired after a single job.

He's looking in to hiring people straight out of prison at the moment

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Oh wild. When my wife and I moved across the country, her employer paid for everything. Grabel? was our company and they came in with a poo poo ton of materials and packed up our place and inventoried every individual item and put it on a list. They gave me a list or red tagged the things they couldn't move or things I didn't want them to move (my guitars, firearms, chemicals etc). They did a ridiculous job packing things up and it was almost annoying when we unpacked, just the sheer amount of packing materials and cardboard we had to try and get rid of.

I will say this. The team hired to pack and load our stuff was 100% more accommodating and professional than the unloading team. I don't know why that is but it seems to be similar for friends who had the same experience. The team lead was responsible for doing all the inventory and seemed like the manager of the day. Everything relied on him for inventory. At the end of the day we got a list of all the boxes that were loaded and unloaded and were given a sheet to fill out for anything that was damaged. I don't think we had anything damaged that I recall. They even put the legs on our sofa and positioned it where we wanted it.

That sucks to hear. I would be livid if a company treated me like that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Verman posted:

Oh wild. When my wife and I moved across the country, her employer paid for everything.

I have noticed that "company paid" seems to correlate with better service when it comes to moving. Those corporate contracts must be quite lucrative so they seem to make sure they have competent crews running those jobs.

Some Joe Homemover is a one time deal so who cares, right?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Luv our corporate world, companies matter, people don't.

My scummy mover story sucked at the time, but in hindsight I think we kinda got away fairly easy. We weren't there for load up, my father was, so he got to deal with the biggest in person rear end in a top hat (and spewed some racist crap to me when venting, that was probably the worst bit, yick). They did the "oh this is more than you said, give us more money NOW!" thing, which felt very rehearsed. I think we actually did dramatically underestimate our pile though, so the upcharge was probably not out of line. And it all made it through relatively ok. And they subbed out the delivery, and those guys where super nice. And we ended up with one of someone else's boxes, which they mailed USPS on their dime, like $100 for the one box.

Anyway, sorry your move in has been rocky mr. wookie, hope it goes better today!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hadlock posted:

She told me to turn off my side yard light. I peeked over the 6' fence and I guess it shines in her 16" wide bathroom window 40' away

There’s a word I like to use in these situations: “no”.

I’m all for being a good neighbor but gently caress letting people make unreasonable demands of you. The last one for us was a lady who wanted me to remove the hedge between our property because she doesn’t like hedges.

She was unhappy with my response, life moved on. Eventually she moved.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Not leaving an outdoor light on all night seems like a good thing though

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Not leaving an outdoor light on all night seems like a good thing though

Yeah I kinda don’t think it’s an unreasonable request tbh.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah turn that poo poo off

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Depends on the neighborhood to be honest.
I’ve lived places I’d want it, I’ve lived places where it would be dumb.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Depends on the neighborhood to be honest.
I’ve lived places I’d want it, I’ve lived places where it would be dumb.

If it's actually shining in someone else's windows it's dumb and needs to be properly shaded so it cuts off by/at the property line and doesn't shine into the sky either.

These aren't difficult things to do, and in a lot of places it's specifically required by the property maintenance code.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
And don't forget the magic of "hey neighbor I think your outdoor light is pointed the wrong way!" VS "I demand you turn off your lights as they are pointed at my property!!!!"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

And don't forget the magic of "hey neighbor I think your outdoor light is pointed the wrong way!" VS "I demand you turn off your lights as they are pointed at my property!!!!"

Yeah, that too. She can gently caress off if that's how she comes out of the gate. So in this particular instance I say double the wattage unless and until code enforcement sends you notice. But in general there is no excuse in this day and age to be shining outdoor lights into your neighbors yard and especially not their house.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Please do not take Motronic's advice to be a big nuisance toward your elderly neighbor

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Motronic posted:

If it's actually shining in someone else's windows it's dumb and needs to be properly shaded so it cuts off by/at the property line and doesn't shine into the sky either.

These aren't difficult things to do, and in a lot of places it's specifically required by the property maintenance code.

Oh yeah if it’s as simple as fixing the angle or getting a shade for it do that. I was just assuming hadlock had already done the simple poo poo if making sure it wasn’t all cockeyed

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh yeah if it’s as simple as fixing the angle or getting a shade for it do that. I was just assuming hadlock had already done the simple poo poo if making sure it wasn’t all cockeyed

Eh, he just got there. I have to assume the previous owners of his place are just as bad as most other POs which would mean the exterior light is installed in a way that will catch on fire, also has the wrong bulb replaced in it and whatever shade it was supposed to have has been thrown away and because it was a big box special it's not available anymore for replacement.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I know not everyone can do this, but I’m feeling pretty good about choosing to move myself, even though most people in this thread told me not to, after reading these hired mover horror stories.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

kreeningsons posted:

I know not everyone can do this, but I’m feeling pretty good about choosing to move myself, even though most people in this thread told me not to, after reading these hired mover horror stories.

There’s a huge difference between moving and packing yourself.

My vote is pack yourself but hire movers to get it out.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Contractors are always a crap shoot, doesn't matter whether they're movers or something else.

We got movers for our most recent move and it went ok, they damaged a few things but I am still very happy to have not moved all of that poo poo myself. We mostly self-packed and did the work to move very specific valuables ourselves, which I think is a good idea. Let the movers carry the boxes of books and beds lol

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 9, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah the driver seemed extremely excitable and definitely had a "I've been in prison at least once for violence related reasons" vibe, I googled the lady who was in charge of my packing and a lady with the same face but different last name who was charged with stabbing her roommate two counties over in 2018 popped up as the first result, which I thought was interesting

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah it's getting a shade so it's not a problem. I'm not adding this lady to my mental goodnight checklist. It does shine directly in her little baby bathroom ventilation window though. So it's at least arguably valid. You can see pink and blue shampoo bottles in there

I'm gonna have to get a step ladder though, it's currently out of reach. And also it's near the bottom of my priority list

These look incandescent and probably will get the LED treatment as soon as my wallet stops begins slowing down hemorrhaging money. It was on because I was here the other day testing poo poo out and left a couple on during the day and this is the unused side-yard side of the house

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I need to be able to switch on some light on the grills on the deck for nighttime cooking. There's nothing tall on the deck. That means the lights have to go on the adjoining wall of the house. Does anybody have favorite floodlights that point down, as opposed to throwing light in all directions? I'd like to minimize the light pollution.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have a pair I'll sell you cheap. Very directional

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I need to be able to switch on some light on the grills on the deck for nighttime cooking. There's nothing tall on the deck. That means the lights have to go on the adjoining wall of the house. Does anybody have favorite floodlights that point down, as opposed to throwing light in all directions? I'd like to minimize the light pollution.

Look for ones that are dark sky approved. That's often a filter you can apply even.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My neighbors just poured a concrete pad and installed a big hot tub in their front yard thats in full view of the neighborhood. On the one hand I admire their audacity, on the other wtf.

How hard is it to operate a stump grinder? I cut down a bunch of buckthorn and dying lilac trees and want to grind up the stumps so that we can plant some evergreen privacy trees later this fall. I've never done it before and have no idea if its a good diy job if you can rent a grinder or not.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

BaseballPCHiker posted:

My neighbors just poured a concrete pad and installed a big hot tub in their front yard thats in full view of the neighborhood. On the one hand I admire their audacity, on the other wtf.

How hard is it to operate a stump grinder? I cut down a bunch of buckthorn and dying lilac trees and want to grind up the stumps so that we can plant some evergreen privacy trees later this fall. I've never done it before and have no idea if its a good diy job if you can rent a grinder or not.

Sample size of one, but my neighbor rented a stump grinder and offered it to me for my stumps on the day of and I just grabbed it and figured it out. It was pretty drat easy. You just kind of swing it back and forth and it grinds the stump away.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

kreeningsons posted:

We did the UHaul pod thing and it worked like a dream. They dropped it off, we loaded it up and padlocked it, they picked it up. Two months later it showed up on our new doorstep, we unlocked it and unloaded it, they picked it up and took it away. We paid the neighborhood teenagers to help us load and unload. You can pick the delivery date, they'll store it until you're ready.

Ours was expensive 'cause apparently Alaska is "overseas" but man did they make it easy.

This post brought to you by UHaul. UHaul, moving stuff.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I have an attic fan question.

I've got an attic fan, the kind that's mounted on the horizontal outside wall, blowing outwards, with a regular window screen and fixed louver/grille on the outside.

It's always been lousy at pushing heat out of the attic. I realized last year we had no intake in the attic - thus it wasn't really able to push air outwards. I had a hole cut in the opposite side of the attic and an adjustable louver installed, but it was a bit late in the year - it was already cool enough to not need it. Thus, only now is it coming to fruition.

It's kinda sorta helping a little but it's definitely still warm up here. I realized that the outer grille was pointing downwards - not all the way out. I'm thinking that if it was open more, it would blow more air outwards. Should I maybe replace that outer grille with a louver that can open up when the fan is blowing? Or maybe a louver that has more open space?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

That buckthorn is a bastard. I hired a guy two years ago with a skid steer and a grinder to come in and mulch about an acre of it. I still have to brush hog at least twice a year to keep it in check. On the harder to get to patches I painted Roundup onto the freshly cut stalks and it totally killed it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Leslie's pool supply free test:

Your chlorine is low, put in 1 gal, 7oz of liquid chlorine, wait 4 hours to get to 2ppm chlorine for your pool size

Me: adds 1 gal 0oz

Leslie's pool supply free test, 4 hours after adding chlorine:

Your free chlorine is 8.7ppm what the gently caress did you do?

I guess my pool circulation sucks, I was not expecting such a lovely distribution of the chemical after 4 hours. In other news all the stuff I was 3-5% low on, all my other numbers are back in the green, magically. Kind of tempted to plug this all into Prometheus/grafana

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
The free Leslie's test can be wildly inaccurate, get your own test kit.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just a friendly reminder to clean your gutters. We've had some issues with moistures in our basement walls during heavy rainstorms. Denver's in the middle of a record breaking rainstorm, and what do you know, water started coming through. I went outside and noticed the PO had hosed up the installation of a gutter downspout along one of the walls, so water was draining partly in to the gutter, partly next to the foundation. Fixed that and so far so good.

Also, gently caress the person who decided that the house needed completely custom/square 4x4 inch gutters.

:suicide:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Residency Evil posted:

Just a friendly reminder to clean your gutters. We've had some issues with moistures in our basement walls during heavy rainstorms. Denver's in the middle of a record breaking rainstorm, and what do you know, water started coming through. I went outside and noticed the PO had hosed up the installation of a gutter downspout along one of the walls, so water was draining partly in to the gutter, partly next to the foundation. Fixed that and so far so good.

Also, gently caress the person who decided that the house needed completely custom/square 4x4 inch gutters.

Do they look cool at least?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Some gutter salesman tried to hard sell me on how they can whip out gutters exactly the size I need with their extruder machine (no seams to leak!) and he just looked at me like an idiot when I asked how I repair that non-standard gutter size if it gets damaged somehow. They were non-standard diameter, he also had some huge thing about how the gutters his machine made were so huge that you could fit my current gutters inside them which means no more water overflowing because of how many insane gallons per second my house is going to put out. edit: As an aside, apparently every rain event is a hurricane, because holy poo poo the way he talked you'd think if you can't handle loving 10,000 GPS+ coming off your roof you're going to have gallons of water wicking up into your decking and running down your walls like niagra loving falls.

I mean, I know the answer. It's "call me and I'll come out and repair it for what I assure you will be a totally nominal fee."

I can live with some seams if it means I can fix a problem myself with a weekend and a trip to home depot.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 12, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sloppy posted:

Do they look cool at least?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Some gutter salesman tried to hard sell me on how they can whip out gutters exactly the size I need with their extruder machine (no seams to leak!) and he just looked at me like an idiot when I asked how I repair that non-standard gutter size if it gets damaged somehow. They were non-standard diameter, he also had some huge thing about how the gutters his machine made were so huge that you could fit my current gutters inside them which means no more water overflowing because of how many insane gallons per second my house is going to put out. edit: As an aside, apparently every rain event is a hurricane, because holy poo poo the way he talked you'd think if you can't handle loving 10,000 GPS+ coming off your roof you're going to have gallons of water wicking up into your decking and running down your walls like niagra loving falls.

I mean, I know the answer. It's "call me and I'll come out and repair it for what I assure you will be a totally nominal fee."

I can live with some seams if it means I can fix a problem myself with a weekend and a trip to home depot.

Oh sure, they look great, although the water spots in the basement that they've caused look less awesome.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Welp after a year of owning our house and working through a complete remodel we finally had to hire a contractor. $6k for a new sewer line, I now make a "Ka-ching" sound every-time I flush the toilet.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I had to do the math once for sizing a downspout and it's shocking how much water / roof area one little downspout can handle, even when sized for a 100-year rain in the PNW.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sloppy posted:

I had to do the math once for sizing a downspout and it's shocking how much water / roof area one little downspout can handle, even when sized for a 100-year rain in the PNW.

Oh god yeah that was another one of his talking points. Our lovely builder grade standard downspouts are only 2x3 or 3x3 or whatever the bog standard one is while his Turbo Rain Fucker 9000 downspouts were 5x5 or whatever and could handle <do volume math> a billionty percent more liters per second. And if we didn't have that kind of throughput they would clog up - not from leaves, from sheer volume of water - and overflow the gutters and that would push water under our decking and into our walls and everything would flood.

I let him talk a bit longer than I should have because I kinda wanted to hear just how overbuilt he thought my gutters needed to be.

I'm pretty sure if I ever needed to get the volume of water he was talking about off my roof it would be a moot point because the house would already be under 12 feet of water and I'd be too busy shuffling my pets 2x2 into the Arc to care.

edit: he also had a picture of people doing chin ups on his gutters because of how loving well he would attach them to the house. Something something monolithic construction got involved too - it was part of the sales pitch for his on-site formed gutters rather than the *spit* segmented trash we're currently saddled with.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Residency Evil posted:

Ugh. I had just a little moisture in a couple of spots in my unfinished basement and I'm dreading going down to see what I have this evening. I also plan on going to home depot for a few sticks of pipe to route my gutters even further than the little extensions I have now. Long term plan to set collector boxes and bury piping from the house to about 15 feet out where the slope is drastically improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001
After a window well backed up and flooded our finished basement, I did realize that 80% of the roof drains into one goddamn downspout. I wish I'd had a Turbo Rain Fucker 9000!

That was a shitload of rain last night in denver, guess I should go inspect everything in the basement, bleah.