Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Whether or not that's what happened it always makes me think of when people complain that the chapos should use their platform to do more activism or push an agenda harder. It's a perspective that completely misses that the appeal of chapo, and by extension the reason they have an audience of their size, is that it's easy political listening.

The boys don't do a whole lot of scolding or didactic content. If they did, they'd have all the mass appeal of a Citations Needed and a considerably smaller audience as a result

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

Can you imagine a less appealing prospect than being a relatively normal guy doing a radio show with a particularly sanctimonious anarchist? That tendency draws out self righteousness more than any other I've seen

This is my read from the outside knowing nothing about the show or how the actual drama went down

Brett usually wasn't too bad but got into Hare Krishna chanting and went on a manic episode that resulted in him being institutionalized. There's a show towards the end where Brett explains what was going on with him leading up to it and it's nuts.
Bryan really needed Brett to balance out the call-in shows, once Brett disappeared the same dweeby callers would call in every week and take up way too much time with their boring poo poo.

I just started listening to Guys after taking a break from Bryan for a while and it's a huge improvement over Street Fight towards the end of its run.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

Can you imagine a less appealing prospect than being a relatively normal guy doing a radio show with a particularly sanctimonious anarchist? That tendency draws out self righteousness more than any other I've seen

This is my read from the outside knowing nothing about the show or how the actual drama went down

Mr. Lobe posted:

Whether or not that's what happened it always makes me think of when people complain that the chapos should use their platform to do more activism or push an agenda harder.

in his manic episodes brett wanted to shift the show toward direct action, like assisting anarchists in squats to stop evictions. that's neat and all but it's not what the show was lol

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
The podcast's name is just Guys?

Took me a bit to find the Episode One podcast because it's such a generic name you always get 30000 results, but this one may be wrose!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sephyr posted:

Took me a bit to find the Episode One podcast because it's such a generic name you always get 30000 results, but this one may be wrose!

I think it's technically "Guys with Bryan Quinby" which is a bit easier to look for.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Guys is on Bryans patreon and if you're trying to steal from Mayor Quimby I say "it should probably be a little work."

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

That entire episode.

Brian: Man look at this goofy history guy youtube comment.
Matt: Actually that man is completely correct. *enters 5 minute civil war rant*

It was good.

Yeah that and the classic rock guy one with Chris Wade are great. Definitely looking forward to hearing Felix on it.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Sephyr posted:

https://feeds.libsyn.com/458346/rss

and the rest of his stuff is at https://www.patreon.com/MurderXBryan

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
They're all free, as far as I can tell.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Chakan posted:

Guys is on Bryans patreon and if you're trying to steal from Mayor Quimby I say "it should probably be a little work."

Found it on Apple!

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Guys is free and he's doing his old mini series stuff (shocktober etc) and a new thing called Guys+ on his patreon. Guys+ is revisiting topics from previous Guys episodes.

also I did the theme music for Guys+

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I remember poster ace of baes used to be a regular caller into the street fight sunday show and wondered why they haven't posted in forever. turns out they only post in the Epstein and dsa threads and I haven't clicked those in years

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

i say swears online posted:

I remember poster ace of baes used to be a regular caller into the street fight sunday show and wondered why they haven't posted in forever. turns out they only post in the Epstein and dsa threads and I haven't clicked those in years

oh drat that's right. I miss the golden age of SF call-ins (the golden age is when I had a boring full-time desk job so I had time to listen to meandering 3 hour podcasts)

anyway glad to see Ace of Baes is still around in threads I don't look at

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

lol @ the phrase "amerifat murder fantasy"

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

Bryan shares the same politics but it was pretty obvious for a while on their show that he's more interested in finding dumb guys to make fun of than beating his fists against a brick wall trying to actually change things.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

little munchkin posted:

Bryan shares the same politics but it was pretty obvious for a while on their show that he's more interested in finding dumb guys to make fun of than beating his fists against a brick wall trying to actually change things.

He kinda goes over this in the latest ep of his nu-metal show where they review a rage against the machine album. He intimated that he felt like they’d spent the entire run of street fight not really making a difference despite wanting to. I think that tied with Brett’s mental health breakdown pretty much spelled the end of the show in any meaningful way.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

They're gonna have to do a reading series about this Elizabeth Holmes piece and I hope they bring Gwen Snyder on as a guest for it

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

killhamster posted:

He kinda goes over this in the latest ep of his nu-metal show where they review a rage against the machine album. He intimated that he felt like they’d spent the entire run of street fight not really making a difference despite wanting to. I think that tied with Brett’s mental health breakdown pretty much spelled the end of the show in any meaningful way.

This is kinda funny because it's something that Matt also expressed on one of his streams after Bernie lost, the realization that they as jokey podcasters weren't really affecting any kind of meaningful activism and that they were essentially something a left leaning nerd might listen to instead of sports; an entertaining thing to pass the time

I think Amber realizing this is also why she basically left the show lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm definitely going to listen to the Karate Guys episode. I was really into karate in middle and high school and it's at least as weird and nerdy a subculture as tabletop games.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

This is kinda funny because it's something that Matt also expressed on one of his streams after Bernie lost, the realization that they as jokey podcasters weren't really affecting any kind of meaningful activism and that they were essentially something a left leaning nerd might listen to instead of sports; an entertaining thing to pass the time

yea, but they also have a light that they can use to shine on topics that are under represented

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

where can i hear the new Liz voice?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

As opposed to ___________

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Rally to Restore Sanity

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm definitely going to listen to the Karate Guys episode. I was really into karate in middle and high school and it's at least as weird and nerdy a subculture as tabletop games.

Karate is wild because it runs the gamut of two guys bare knuckle absolutely wailing on each other for a given amount of time to basically dancing

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

How about a rally to restore Hannity

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Mfs never heard of orangeries smh

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

COPE 27 posted:

Mfs never heard of orangeries smh

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1655782263915773952?t=c85PUE_7o6FXwOz9fJbh5g&s=19

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

lol, I watched some of it the other day and it's really stupid.

edit: also what's even more insane is that it has an 8.0 rating on imdb, people really are like clapping seals

Cached Money fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 9, 2023

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

COPE 27 posted:

As opposed to ___________

kissing a man in the rain at a train stop after he sang her "The Internationale"

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1655975570046320653

This person's handle is driving me insane. Do they think Camus is pronounced the same as Samus?

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
It’s a pun, chill out

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mr. Grinch posted:

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1655975570046320653

This person's handle is driving me insane. Do they think Camus is pronounced the same as Samus?

It's written down, mate. No pronunciation needed.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
"Claire Penis" is the same type of pun too.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

Henchman of Santa posted:

"Claire Penis" is the same type of pun too.

the type of pun where the two words are completely unrelated or dont rhyme at all as a "hilarious" low effort non joke/troll?
Or is there a more obvious word im missing

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Mr. Grinch posted:

the type of pun where the two words are completely unrelated or dont rhyme at all as a "hilarious" low effort non joke/troll?

Lmao this mf doesn’t know about french directors

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Claire Penis/Claire Denis

also Hesse is trans (get it)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mr. Grinch posted:

somebody buy this poor bastard a Criterion membership, this is embarrassing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

uber_stoat posted:

Claire Penis/Claire Denis

also Hesse is trans (get it)

Hesse is Zero Suit Camus. Claire Penis, while also trans, is a different person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Gripweed posted:

Hesse is Zero Suit Camus. Claire Penis, while also trans, is a different person.

You should click through her username