Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

The Merkinman posted:

They couldn't even be bothered to make it backwards compatible with the digital store, so we're stuck with drip fed bottom of the barrel games for their older systems.

My point being sometimes they are backwards compatible and sometimes they aren't, so people theorizing one way or the other are equally valid.

But you're acting as if their decision to support backwards compatibility is random, when it clearly is not. The Switch has actual physical limitations preventing support for past generations: it uses carts instead of disks, it's a single screen device, and doesn't have pointer technology.

The assumption is that a Switch 2 will use similar technology as the Switch, because the Switch is the most successful thing Nintendo has ever done. Every single instance in which they've used similar technology they've supported backwards compatibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The Legend of Bowser: Tears of the Switch Thread

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Anyone who pirates a nintendo game should be jailed for life

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Uh only if you don’t delete it after 24 hours maybe read the fine print on Nintendoroms.com next time you visit :cool:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

WarpDogs posted:

But you're acting as if their decision to support backwards compatibility is random, when it clearly is not. The Switch has actual physical limitations preventing support for past generations: it uses carts instead of disks, it's a single screen device, and doesn't have pointer technology.

The assumption is that a Switch 2 will use similar technology as the Switch, because the Switch is the most successful thing Nintendo has ever done. Every single instance in which they've used similar technology they've supported backwards compatibility

They're going to disrupt the industry and use UMDs

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The nintendo switch 2 will be backwards compatible with the Playstation 3

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Nintendo Let's Go will be backwards compatible with first party Switch games after purchasing the HD upgrade as part of an extended NSO membership. That same membership also grants you access to all of Nintendo's backlog of titles named "Mario Goes Missing" and nothing else.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

please explain how that that person was personally responsible for 65 million dollars in lost video game sales. please show your work, if you need more space to write come to the front of the class and i'll give you another notebook.

Absolutely. I’ll need like $15k to commission a report from an industry expert, of course. Because lost sales aren’t the kind of thing that a lay man could prove to win an internet argument, but they’re hardly an inscrutable mystery that can’t be known. People prove that they lost sales all the time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

It will not be BC but they will gladly charge you $60 each for ports of the Switch’s most popular games, and you will gladly pay it

Now this is just stupid.

They'll be charging $70 per port.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Been playing a little gungeon here and there lately. Surprised my muscle memory came back as well as it did, I was able to get to the kill pillars. I've forgotten what a lot of the guns do though and it's real tedious to leaf through the ammonomicon, I wish they'd streamlined it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I sucked real bad at Gungeon until I learned that you're not supposed to look at the enemies you're supposed to focus on your character and dodging all the bullets. The aiming at the bad guys part is secondary.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Better yet: don’t do that, and instead, talk about the upcoming blockbuster videogame, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Happy to. My question is, will it obviously lap Elden Ring? And is the soundtrack more of that amazing BOTW score? Because it’s literally my favorite thing to do my day job to(writing).

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Yep you need to rely on your peripheral vision a lot...and understand that while there's a million bullets on the screen, you only need to worry about the ones heading towards you. Lessons I have to relearn for every bullet hell I play.

Gungeon's fun as hell, better than Isaac imo

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Anyone who pirates a nintendo game should be jailed for life

Pity the billionaire

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i guess one factor that goes into backwards compatibility is the ease of programming for the switch. is the switch easy to design for? if they roughly kept the same architecture, which i have no reason to think they'd move from, would it be easy to run the old games? and speaking of the architecture, is the switch's architecture easy to keep and just throw more resources at?

is there any reason they'd want to move on from this architecture?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Damnit I forgot how much I loved AW. I don't know why, it's just a dumb turn-based which is not usually my type of game.

Good balance and map design, lose five times and then feel rewarded when you win, type of thing. I guess

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

abelwingnut posted:

i guess one factor that goes into backwards compatibility is the ease of programming for the switch. is the switch easy to design for? if they roughly kept the same architecture, which i have no reason to think they'd move from, would it be easy to run the old games? and speaking of the architecture, is the switch's architecture easy to keep and just throw more resources at?

I don't know, but if I can't migrate my Switch games & saves forward and play them natively on the new Thing, I will not be buying that Thing.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I've been having fun with Synthetik. One of the 2nd level boss fights is bugged though, with like a 50/50 chance of crashing at the end. The Steam version is better because it has online co-op, but it's still a decent game.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Real talk, is it actually illegal to play TotK on an emulator if you bought it and Nintendo has charged your card? Do you technically have to waot for the release date?

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

it's page 1337 and this is the argument we get!!!

But the argument is about HaXXoRs? Seems legit to me

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

FlapYoJacks posted:

Real talk, is it actually illegal to play TotK on an emulator if you bought it and Nintendo has charged your card? Do you technically have to waot for the release date?

Yes they will send someone from hq to shoot you in the skull and take a poo poo in your toilet probably

Pirate at your own risk folks

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

FlapYoJacks posted:

I believe that, legally, you can only ever play backups that your ripped from your own physical copy. Downloading a rom from the internet is illigal even if you've purchased the game yourself elsewhere.

But if you do get your hands on an early physical copy (legally, because it was shipped early or something) you're in the clear to play it as much as you want, including by ripping a copy and playing it on an emulator.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

FlapYoJacks posted:

It is, and you will go to jail for life for doing this.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It is, and you will go to jail for life for doing this.

Worth it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

FlapYoJacks posted:

Serious post: Probably not but it was illegal to download that copy in the first place, even if you do own your own theoretical future copy.

The only legal backups are ones you make yourself.

Efb

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Roughly, it's legal if it is an actual backup of a game you own. It's not legal if you download a ROM of it, even if you paid for it, but if you use a hacked launch Switch to dump a game, that is legal to emulate.

That said IINAL and the entire thing is kinda murky anyway. For example, I don't know if backups of digital games are fine, and there may be restrictions on how exactly a game is dumped. The above is a general rule of thumb though.

Basically, no, it's not legal to download the leak of TotK early, but at the same time I doubt Nintendo is gonna go after people who download it early unless they do poo poo like stream it or show off content of it before launch, particularly if it's monetized. No one here will give a poo poo if you do pirate it unless you post spoilers or whatever.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Anyway I'm gonna buy 650,000 copies to make up for all the money Nintendo lost from that evil hacker.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's illegal to download under your nautical capital full name which is an incorporation of the state but if you're travelling you're free to download whatever you want because

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mega64 posted:

Anyway I'm gonna buy 650,000 copies to make up for all the money Nintendo lost from that evil hacker.

I hope nintendo will be OK, OP.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
It's fun to see everyone excited. I'm not picking it up myself, but I do look forward to Etrians and Rune Factory 3 Special.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Khanstant posted:

I hope Link grows up to be big and strong like that one of these games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvx2P4vgyos

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

abelwingnut posted:

Serious question. "Backwards compatibility" has been a thing for PC games for decades at this point. I have games on my Steam library that I bought a good 20 years ago that I can still play. Sometimes there can be jank with it gelling with a new operating system, and sometimes games do get removed, but generally you buy a game on Steam once and you can just keep playing it.

It seems consoles are starting to go with this system a little bit? (I think. My knowledge of non-Nintendo consoles is very limited. I've been a Nintendo + PC gamer for years). What would stop Nintendo from doing the same, aside from "They make more money by forcing people to re-buy all their games for the new system"?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

mdemone posted:

Damnit I forgot how much I loved AW. I don't know why, it's just a dumb turn-based which is not usually my type of game.

Good balance and map design, lose five times and then feel rewarded when you win, type of thing. I guess

It's so good. I've been checking out Dual Strike again, which is the one I have easiest access to and to justify not buying the remake right right now. I've also been enjoying getting low rankings, slogging it out for a point then just using overwhelming force to win once I can afford like 5 battleships.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Silver Falcon posted:

Serious question. "Backwards compatibility" has been a thing for PC games for decades at this point. I have games on my Steam library that I bought a good 20 years ago that I can still play. Sometimes there can be jank with it gelling with a new operating system, and sometimes games do get removed, but generally you buy a game on Steam once and you can just keep playing it.

It seems consoles are starting to go with this system a little bit? (I think. My knowledge of non-Nintendo consoles is very limited. I've been a Nintendo + PC gamer for years). What would stop Nintendo from doing the same, aside from "They make more money by forcing people to re-buy all their games for the new system"?

Nintendo has repeatedly made backwards compatible handhelds op.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

American McGay posted:

I sucked real bad at Gungeon until I learned that you're not supposed to look at the enemies you're supposed to focus on your character and dodging all the bullets. The aiming at the bad guys part is secondary.

This will be controversial but you should turn on auto aim and only manually aim when you need to.

Maybe I'm old but I can't aim, dodge and keep track of everything.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It's so good. I've been checking out Dual Strike again, which is the one I have easiest access to and to justify not buying the remake right right now. I've also been enjoying getting low rankings, slogging it out for a point then just using overwhelming force to win once I can afford like 5 battleships.

I'm holding myself accountable to choosing the highest star-ranked mission available at each branching point. I will defeat this stupid game, for what I assume will be the second time.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Inzombiac posted:

This will be controversial but you should turn on auto aim and only manually aim when you need to.

I support auto-aim and lowering the difficulty. My children have long since surpassed my skill level; let them challenge themselves if they want. If I pick "hurt me plenty" for wolfenstein II then I'll probably never finish the game

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Nintendo has repeatedly made backwards compatible handhelds op.

Yeah my man. I've owned all of them. :confused: I hope the Switch is backwards compatible.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

mdemone posted:

I'm holding myself accountable to choosing the highest star-ranked mission available at each branching point. I will defeat this stupid game, for what I assume will be the second time.

I'm trying to get all the medals, which involves getting B-ranks and stuff so it's working out. Still need to beat hard more two more times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Inzombiac posted:

Nothing wrong with auto aim if it improves your experience but I personally enjoy the added stress and sense of reward from manual aiming in gungeon. It's true though I do feel like I used to be better at fast reaction type poo poo, getting old sucks