Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Terrifying Effigies posted:

I'm not a big Twitter user but how does that even work? Does he embed videos into his tweets? Exclusive long form twitter threads? Are there any other Twitter-based 'shows' out there?

I think he will just be posting videos and that's about it. Unless they're going to test some kind of video / show posting thing that intersplices ads. It's really all guesswork, but whatever Elon's going to pay him, he'll lose double in advertisers refusing to even run a chance of having their ad in the same screenzip code.

Also now he's competing with Alex Jones and all the other grifters. Tucker's market advantage was that he got racist boomers to tune in and they're not going to jump for Twitter when they wouldn't even jump for fox nation.

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1656044417097056260?t=wqiC9OM_-_gfbSFeeV-71g&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Sounds great, Twitter is already a chud community, this will just drive it home even more.

Eagerly looking forward to not ever having to see a Twitter embed again. Seriously I do not get why people ever liked using Twitter, the embeds have always been broken pieces of poo poo and a loving awful method at communicating. "Clicking through" to read a "thread"? Really? What a dumb idea.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
TOO MUCH NEWS

NEWS TORNADO

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES

https://twitter.com/Tierney_Megan/status/1656049314693611526?t=5MOlRoG4Sn2mdrry9-goZA&s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Basically in the last two hours:

Donnie liable as sex pest, $5m
Debt ceiling talks break up, no resolution
Tucker back, gonna be Elon's #1 poster
Santos indicted

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Can Joe mint the coin to fix the debt ceiling? Or is that another thing?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bengy81 posted:

Can Joe mint the coin to fix the debt ceiling? Or is that another thing?

Platinum coin, 14th amendment lawsuit, and federal reserve premium bonds are all floated as options for evading Congress on the debt ceiling, you're right. All are poo poo options.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

facialimpediment posted:

Platinum coin, 14th amendment lawsuit, and federal reserve premium bonds are all floated as options for evading Congress on the debt ceiling, you're right. All are poo poo options.

Hey they could just default and wipe out the entire country's savings!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

14th Amendment should be the best option.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Mustang posted:

Sounds great, Twitter is already a chud community, this will just drive it home even more.

Eagerly looking forward to not ever having to see a Twitter embed again. Seriously I do not get why people ever liked using Twitter, the embeds have always been broken pieces of poo poo and a loving awful method at communicating. "Clicking through" to read a "thread"? Really? What a dumb idea.

Eh, I've always liked linking tweets for articles since it's a handy way to have a brief summary, a picture, and an article link all posted together by copy and pasting one url.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Grip it and rip it posted:

That case sounds pretty flimsy. Depending on the context of "My wife is trying to poison me" there could be a huge number of reasonable explanations. Ditto for how the Husband could have gotten and ingested fentanyl. The whole public has been told that poo poo is lethal to the touch and can be found in lethal quantities on dollar bills in circulation.

:lol:

what

bengy81
May 8, 2010

I've heard this, or similar ridiculous things repeated by a ton of people.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Someone find that video of the cop having a panic attack and blaming it on fentanyl vapors

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

a trump administration gift to the world

quote:

In 2016, as an increasing number of overdose deaths were attributable to fentanyl, the highly potent synthetic opioid, the US Drug Enforcement Administration issued misinformation about fentanyl exposure. It warned that “fentanyl can be absorbed through the skin or accidental inhalation of airborne powder can also occur …. Just touching fentanyl or accidentally inhaling the substance during enforcement activity or field testing the substance can result in absorption through the skin …. The onset of adverse health effects, such as disorientation, coughing, sedation, respiratory distress or cardiac arrest is very rapid and profound, usually occurring within minutes of exposure” (DEA, 2016). The statement was accompanied by a video, and both were disseminated to law enforcement officials across the nation through channels such as the United States Department of Justice (USDOJ, 2017) the National Police Foundation (NPF, 2016), and a similar warning was released by the Center For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC, 2019).

Given the perceived credibility of these sources, this misinformation propagated widely across mainstream and social media, as well as through policing informational networks (Attaway et al., 2021; Beletsky et al., 2020).

Source: https://healthandjusticejournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40352-021-00163-5

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

14th Amendment should be the best option.

Chudges on the scrotus will slap it down, this is what they were bought to do.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Midjack posted:

Chudges on the scrotus will slap it down, this is what they were bought to do.

To me, it's less that and more charging headlong into unsettled law in a judiciary that isn't exactly known for speed. Something economy-killing isn't going to really fall on usual chudge lines, because they're all chudgy about social policies versus economics.

It'll be easy for a judge to just throw their hands up at the legal quandary and go "well gently caress, Congress has the power of the purse so it's a political question, bye". And this is the kind of thing that won't have much time for appeals.

And there's already a federal union that filed a federal lawsuit claiming 14th amendment violations, because it's questioning that they'll get paid or not. That kind of lawsuit inevitably sits for a long time.

also wtf

https://twitter.com/DerekMyers/status/1656055074609672194?t=JP8mLW7X9T_gMbrOoZRe1g&s=19

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1656023624552259593?t=o_6ipxGYgn95nCDk4yu_cA&s=19

I WILL JUST ANGRY POST THROUGH IT AS I ALWAYS DO

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

To me, it's less that and more charging headlong into unsettled law in a judiciary that isn't exactly known for speed. Something economy-killing isn't going to really fall on usual chudge lines, because they're all chudgy about social policies versus economics.

It'll be easy for a judge to just throw their hands up at the legal quandary and go "well gently caress, Congress has the power of the purse so it's a political question, bye". And this is the kind of thing that won't have much time for appeals.

And there's already a federal union that filed a federal lawsuit claiming 14th amendment violations, because it's questioning that they'll get paid or not. That kind of lawsuit inevitably sits for a long time.

My take on it is that judicial indecision benefits the executive. Biden says "In accordance with my oath to uphold the Constitution, I am ordering the Treasury to continue to borrow money to pay debts legally authorized by Congress." At that point, Treasury keeps issuing debt and Congress has to get someone to make them stop. If the courts take their time or say that it's a political question, that means the Executive keeps doing what it's doing.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Trump wasn’t president at any point in 2016 though? Obama was plenty terrible on drug policy too.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I believe him. Since his brain is oatmeal I’m gonna assume he forgot.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Stultus Maximus posted:

My take on it is that judicial indecision benefits the executive. Biden says "In accordance with my oath to uphold the Constitution, I am ordering the Treasury to continue to borrow money to pay debts legally authorized by Congress." At that point, Treasury keeps issuing debt and Congress has to get someone to make them stop. If the courts take their time or say that it's a political question, that means the Executive keeps doing what it's doing.

Yeah, that's probably why:

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1656078257416986626?t=8K0FJpO077sUNT24A6KXMQ&s=19

Although I'm not sure if Biden can just say "hey, I'm doing this now, come stop me" (your post) or if he has to first file some kind of lawsuit against Congress first (my post).

It still pisses me off that Senate Democrats were too big of weenies and passed on permanently killing off the debt ceiling last year.

Crab Dad posted:

I believe him. Since his brain is oatmeal I’m gonna assume he forgot.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1656021428955754496?t=UYK5xkZriHJ-R-ATmpw8Hw&s=19

He likely really needs glasses, but won't wear them because "I'd look weak", and so $5m he pays for having a vain puddingbrain

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 10, 2023

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Trump wasn’t president at any point in 2016 though? Obama was plenty terrible on drug policy too.

you're right, his winning the election messed up my memory of the entire year, it's all a little foggy

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah, that's probably why:

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1656078257416986626?t=8K0FJpO077sUNT24A6KXMQ&s=19

Although I'm not sure if Biden can just say "hey, I'm doing this now, come stop me" (your post) or if he has to first file some kind of lawsuit against Congress first (my post).

It still pisses me off that Senate Democrats were too big of weenies and passed on permanently killing off the debt ceiling last year.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1656021428955754496?t=UYK5xkZriHJ-R-ATmpw8Hw&s=19

He likely really needs glasses, but won't wear them because "I'd look weak", and so $5m he pays for having a vain puddingbrain

Oh yeah wasn’t that the conclusion when his handwritten notes are in giant font, and that he does wear glasses when he thinks cameras aren’t on him?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah wasn’t that the conclusion when his handwritten notes are in giant font, and that he does wear glasses when he thinks cameras aren’t on him?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/05/05/trump-carroll-marla-maples-lawsuit/

quote:

The situation was reminiscent of a situation in 2014. That year, Trump was being sued by people who’d purchased properties from Trump in Florida. Sitting in the witness box, he was presented with a document to consider.

A photograph of Trump putting on reading glasses to view the document was published by the South Florida Sun Sentinel. The caption beneath the photo read:

“Donald Trump borrows reading glasses from Judge Jeffrey Streitfeld to read a document during a civil case at the Broward County Courthouse in Fort Lauderdale brought by buyers of condos at Conrad Fort Lauderdale on Monday, March 10, 2014. Trump quipped that he should wear them all the time, but he’s ‘too vain.’ ”

That quote was noted in a 2019 Slate article by Ashley Feinberg considering the extent to which Trump’s gaffes as president might simply be a function of his refusal to correct his eyesight. Feinberg noted a 2016 Vice report considering why Trump was so often seen squinting.

“In general, it could just be because he’s trying to increase his vision,” an ophthalmologist who spoke with Vice said. “He could just be trying to compensate for some blurry vision.”

It occurs to me that I've been posting way too much, but today has been a long week.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hyrax Attack! posted:

He thought wearing a mask behind the Resolute desk would make him look like a loser. Imagine what he thinks about glasses.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Re: fentanyl

https://twitter.com/PolygonalShivs/status/1602024856069234688

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/tomaskenn/status/1655251609054584832?t=__b-QRQh7hwgjleka2jTlA&s=19

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

it's fine

just build miami sandcastle condos to an even lower standard

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alan Smithee posted:

just build miami sandcastle condos to an even lower standard

That would cause an integer underflow in the fabric of reality, causing the buildings to be constructed to the highest possible standard.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

When I lived in Reno 15 years ago, someone decided they needed to crack down on illegal immigrants. I think almost every single kitchen shut down in the area that day. I dont remember how long it lasted but it was less than a week for sure.

Edit: I wish those communities were able to strike for pay and papers

lightpole fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 10, 2023

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I remember when Georgia did their crackdown and something like $800M of produce rotted in the fields.

I also remember all the articles during the Trump years about communities shocked to discover deporting all the "illegals" included "the good ones" they were friends with.

e: can we keep the migrant workers and deport the chuds?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Here's the result:

https://twitter.com/NikkiBarnesFL/status/1655934756700430336

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Good. If you want to work, give em greencards for the length of their work plus a year so they can find new jobs as needed. This undocumented wink-wink nod-nod poo poo so the corporations can underpay them has gone on long enough. I'm glad it finally came to a head the dumbest way possible so DeSantis has to eat poo poo.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Crab Dad posted:

Good. If you want to work, give em greencards for the length of their work plus a year so they can find new jobs as needed. This undocumented wink-wink nod-nod poo poo so the corporations can underpay them has gone on long enough. I'm glad it finally came to a head the dumbest way possible so DeSantis has to eat poo poo.

Yup, the bosses and businesses that were exploiting these undocumented workers deserve to lose their whole financial rear end, would really love for a rich guy to eat the consequences for once

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

Nothing will change, it will be quietly buried before the year is out once the ag owners and construction company owners start whining about having to pay people. Happened in 2011 in GA and Alabama, Alabama forced their inmates into the fields as slave labor, and Georgia overturned HB87 as unconstitutional, and nothing actually changed.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Tucker on Twitter is probably going to be a lot less powerful than he was on Fox News, if only because he'll have a much smaller audience. It's been said before but Fox News was just the default choice for a lot of public TV sets, he's not going to get that kind of passive viewership on Twitter.

Can't wait for NYT's next edition of "We just don't know what Elon's politics are like"

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

Then actually enforce the laws employers are breaking, instead of throwing poor migrant workers into prison like the Florida law mostly does. And criminally, not just civilly so it becomes a cost of doing business. But charging business owners with crimes isn't on anyone's agenda, so the options on the table are the wink-wink nod-nod poo poo or sending cops after brown people.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

LMAO at the idea of 60-80 year old Boomers finding anything on Twitter, and double LOL at the idea of Tucker on Twitter having even a fraction of the reach he had on the TeeVee

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Crab Dad posted:

Beau of the Fifth Column better have some opinions on this one...

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

orange juche posted:

Nothing will change, it will be quietly buried before the year is out once the ag owners and construction company owners start whining about having to pay people. Happened in 2011 in GA and Alabama, Alabama forced their inmates into the fields as slave labor, and Georgia overturned HB87 as unconstitutional, and nothing actually changed.

Its this. As long as they are illegal nothing will change. They can't even strike, the government can simply kick them out and blackball them. If there's one thing they hate its indentured labor thinking they have some sort of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Does the felony apply to those that hired them knowingly?

(don't @ me it's a rhetorical question)