Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Furthermore, I think as we entered the 360 generation, there was a general skepticism/revulsion at anything that was too archaic, goofy, colorful or especially Japanese. This was the same year as dark realistic Bomberman.

Yeah this was definitely during the "Japanese games are bad, get with the times :smug:" era. That era was what led to some Japanese developers, as Naoki Yoshida talked about in interview about FFXVI, seeing the term "JRPG" as pejorative because of how Japanese games were talked about in western media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

"Japanese games are bad, get with the times :smug:"

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

"we all know who will replace us"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lol that is exactly the face I had in mind when I wrote that

fuckin' Phil Fish man

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There's an old rear end interview with Phil Fish, the LISA guy and the YIIK dude and all of them talk about how jrpgs "havent evolved since the SNES" (I bet that's the last time they played one lol) and that their games are going to bring the genre forward. Insane that anyone took these clowns seriously.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Are the Mario and Luigi games JRPGs? Cause those rule. Well, 1 and 3 do. So actually on average the series sucks.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They are. I think they were the first JRPGs I seriously played.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
mario is japanese italian

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

gently caress this guy

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
phil fish owned himself...pathetic

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Autisanal Cheese posted:

gently caress this guy

Not even with your dick and someone pushing

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The era where the games media pretended the entire indie game scene was like three bearded white guys was not epic ftw.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
which indie developer had a mental breakdown over souja boi not getting his game

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Fez: my favorite JRPG

(J stands for jacking yoruself off over what a good game designer you are) (Fez was a fun game though)

I'll never think of Fish or Blow without thinking "blowfish" and this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuDqraUlUcM

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

which indie developer had a mental breakdown over souja boi not getting his game

that was noted racist and misogynist jonathon blow, famous for making an okayish platformer and then other games also, and stunlocking himself by trying to make a new C++ but for Video Gaming

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWqnz-7iQbY

YOOOOOOP

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

compare too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAEAf60_iX8

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

HOW HAVE I NEVER SEEN THIS

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
john blow

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it's nice that the swans were able to adopt goslings

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Do my tears surprise you, sir?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lady Radia posted:

that was noted racist and misogynist jonathon blow, famous for making an okayish platformer and then other games also, and stunlocking himself by trying to make a new C++ but for Video Gaming

he got really mad at rust lol

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

lmfao

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Lady Radia posted:

HOW HAVE I NEVER SEEN THIS

the webcam shaking horribly gets me everytime

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

speng31b posted:

he got really mad at rust lol

yeah i had mostly managed to purge him from my brain until he melted down at a lady's ECS-in-Rust presentation because.. well, you can guess

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

learning a lot

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
blow fan

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

he should be held upside down by his ankles and dipped repeatedly into a toilet bowl

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

More like Blowhard amirite chuckle chuckle chuckle

Edit: gently caress, not a sex thing, please don’t read it that way

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

This guy is the successful brother of every protag of every 2010s indie movie about men hitting middle age.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Harrow posted:

Yeah this was definitely during the "Japanese games are bad, get with the times :smug:" era. That era was what led to some Japanese developers, as Naoki Yoshida talked about in interview about FFXVI, seeing the term "JRPG" as pejorative because of how Japanese games were talked about in western media.

It was heartbreaking when I started up FFXV and I was almost immediately sent to talk to an NPC who filled up my map with markers. I wish Japanese developers were still doing their own thing. AAA games have gotten so stale.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lady Radia posted:

learning a lot

blow fan has got to be blow on a parachute

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

There's an old rear end interview with Phil Fish, the LISA guy and the YIIK dude and all of them talk about how jrpgs "havent evolved since the SNES" (I bet that's the last time they played one lol) and that their games are going to bring the genre forward. Insane that anyone took these clowns seriously.

Only the lisa guy had some impact after making 3 games and never returning. Yiik is known more for the dev having meltdowns. Tunic is a better fez

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
final fantasy 7 was on the ps1 smh

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Phil Fish’s real name is Philippe Poisson lol.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
phil my rear end with fish

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i have played all of the final fantasy games except final fantasy 11 and only because i feared it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

When it comes to foreign video game developers whose pen name is a literal English translation of their real name I much prefer Sam Lake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there's a French race car driver named "Bertrand Baguette" which is a great "are you making GBS threads me" name