Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Febreeze posted:

I'm fine with statistics, I'm just extremely tired of tiny stupid ones illustrating that Dak is actually the third best QB on long downs in the second quarter or whatever the gently caress

Just say he's good, because he is

Eh, he's amazing in some situations, but he's mediocre to bad in others. He is godawful at playing from behind and does best as a passer when he's improvising following an extra blitzed defender. In a clean pocket, he's average at best. If 5+ players come after him, though, he's like mahomes.

You gotta look at all of the angles, and the stats help illustrate these things. It depends a lot on the situations he sees as to how he performs. And when you just have a bad defense that's getting bailed out by a good front four, he'll drop 40 on you even though you sack him six times.

In conclusion, dak is a land of contrasts.

indigi posted:

Dak is good, I'd say very good. in stretches he's played great. that's my quarterback

Welcome to the light, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Dak is good, I'd say very good. in stretches he's played great. that's my quarterback

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

blarzgh posted:

Notice as well that all the farty, bloated Giants fans have sworn a blood oath to abhor statistics, So they can pretend that Eli Was anything more than a below average quarterback carried by luck, variance, and an all-world defense to two titles.

And yet he still has two Super Bowl rings hmm

Context always matters with stats. Eli spent seven years of his career under one of the worst offensive coordinators ever winning in spite of him. No QB can win in the NFL having to pick three different break points from his WR. It completely inflated his INTs and gave him that narrative of a below average QB.

Even despite this terrible system he put up 5k yards and a 2:1 td:int ratio in the 2011 Super Bowl run which would make him one of the best QBs in the league. After Gilbride was fired Eli had three straight years of pro bowl play despite being on the wrong end of 30.

He's top 10 in tds all time, top 25 in yards all time, and has two super bowl rings. He's twice as good as Dak.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

blarzgh posted:

Notice as well that all the farty, bloated Giants fans have sworn a blood oath to abhor statistics, So they can pretend that Eli Was anything more than a below average quarterback carried by luck, variance, and an all-world defense to two titles.

You know what’s a great statistic? Eli going 2-0 in Super Bowls against the Patriots :smugdog:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I've watched a lot of Eli Manning play. I've spent a lot of time giving him the eye test. And he doesn't stack up.

Eli the person is funny af, but he was middling at QB. It's a shame he didn't hang on long enough to break Favre's int record.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Doltos posted:

Context always matters with stats. Eli spent seven years of his career under one of the worst offensive coordinators ever winning in spite of him. No QB can win in the NFL having to pick three different break points from his WR. It completely inflated his INTs and gave him that narrative of a below average QB.

God I wish more people realized how pointlessly complicated Gilbrides offense was. So many of Elis worst throws were cases of the WR simply not taking the right break. loving Rueben Randle man

When he got on the same page with a guy though, poo poo rocked. Then injuries would ruin those dudes after one or two seasons. I really wish Eli could have had his own steady long-tenured targets like Rivers had with Gates, Ryan and Julio, etc. Plax could have been that but then, well

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

blarzgh posted:

First off you're new here so I'll forgive you: I'm the president of the Dak Prescott Fan Club, not him.

Secondly, "Stats" contain useful information to people who like football and want to learn more about it, and understand it better.

To people who eat shoe leather and huff paint while watching ESPN and Skip Bayless on Yellfight(tm), and say things like, "QB winzz" unironically, no, stats don't mean very much, mostly because math, and too many words scare them.

I’m not new here, I just change my name anually

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

blarzgh posted:

The 2011 giant defense was abysmal and bottom 6-7 in almost every stat that mattered

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2011/opp.htm

It's right up there with the frequently cited "Eli always relied on a strong running game and play action"

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/offense/rushing/2011/reg/all

The 2011 giants' team 3.5 ypc was dead last in the entire league, worse than the colt Mccoy/Peyton hillis/Montario Hardesty Browns, so you know they really fuckin sucked

Couple that with an over the hill offensive line that was just as bad at pass blocking as they were run blocking and it took a herculean effort from Eli to drag those bums to the playoffs where their defense finally decided to start trying for the first time all year. That team was really, really bad at most positions but prime Eli reached the point where he could carry a team singlehandedly for a few seasons.

And Eli at SF in the 2011 NFCCG where he got absolutely obliterated behind a gutless OL facing the best defense in the league in the rain yet never shied away from a single hit is still one of the better QB performances I've seen.

The Niners were very easily the best team in the league that year and if the QBs were swapped they would have strolled to a title, probably two or three

Eli had a lot of believers after that season and rightfully so, however there were and still (obviously) are quite a few Sean Salisbury-tier takes that he got carried to that title

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Dak just doesn't have it. He's not clutch, he absolutely crumbles every time he is in the position to make the win happen. That's why he's not a good qb. He's kirk cousins.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Asproigerosis posted:

Dak just doesn't have it. He's not clutch, he absolutely crumbles every time he is in the position to make the win happen. That's why he's not a good qb. He's kirk cousins.

Didn't Amari Cooper get traded for calling him the black Kirk Cousins? Truly a prophet cast out of his own country.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

blarzgh posted:

"X - X against playoff teams/ teams are the winning record" is a made up stat, It means only one thing: You either are or you are not Tom Brady who is the only quarterback that has significantly more wins against teams have finished with > .500 record that any other quarterback in history basically

Playoff teams are generally only one or two games above 500 sometimes if that, and a good team will win 11 to 14 games a year, dealing many teams that one loss that ultimately keeps them out of the playoffs or from having a winning record.

So what you're doing is contriving a stat that a) assumes that a quarterback is 100% responsible for the outcome of the game, which is dumb ESPN bullshit, and 2) punishes teams who are successful, and to turn several teams a season into teams that don't make the playoffs and or finish below 500

Agree that it's bullshit and it manifests itself every year when teams are good but chipped for "not having played anybody" or having a "weak" schedule. All teams build winning records by beating the teams they're supposed to beat and holding their own against the elite ones.

You see this in how, at the beginning of the year, reporters talk about which teams have the toughest schedules and, by the end of the year, that metric is totally different as teams play out the games and actually win and lose. A lot of times, what looked "tough" in September becomes "easy" by December after poo poo shakes out.

Who had the NFCE as a tough division last year?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 10, 2023

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
my recollection of eli, having watched him at least twice a season, is he wouldn't do anything particularly excellent or impressive and you'd think "ah, yeah, we've got this," then you'd look up in the fourth quarter and the giants were up by ten

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Lmao nothing gets those New Jersey Giants fans tumbling off their pull-out couches, spilling marinara all down their shirt, like a good Eli argument

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Febreeze posted:

Decimals are where dorks go to cope about their empty ring fingers

This handsome devil doesn't have to worry about that.

:nms::nws:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I can suck the marinara out later

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

He's top 10 in tds all time, top 25 in yards all time, and has two super bowl rings. He's twice as good as Dak.

He's lost as many games as he's won, and lead the entire league in interceptions multiple times.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nervous posted:

The only thing Eli Manning is good for is beating Tom Brady twice, and for that, we all honor him

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nervous posted:

Say what you want, Tom earned those

Doctor Roosevelt
Jun 17, 2006

Nap Ghost

blarzgh posted:

The only thing Eli Manning is good for is beating Tom Brady twice, and for that, we all honor him

He also gave hope to an entire generation of rubber-faced fartsmiths that they too could win the Super Bowl and know the touch of another human

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is Eli in the hall of fame yet ?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

blarzgh posted:

Lmao nothing gets those New Jersey Giants fans tumbling off their pull-out couches, spilling marinara all down their shirt, like a good Eli argument

Ayyyye!!! Get outta ‘ere!!

euphronius posted:

The hall of fame of my heart.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Nervous posted:

:mods::mods::mods:

euphronius posted:

He won’t be eligible until 2025, and I will enjoy the fury some fan bases will have when he goes in as I sit and grin and watch Super Bowl XLII highlights.

Febreeze posted:

God I wish more people realized how pointlessly complicated Gilbrides offense was. So many of Elis worst throws were cases of the WR simply not taking the right break. loving Rueben Randle man

When he got on the same page with a guy though, poo poo rocked. Then injuries would ruin those dudes after one or two seasons. I really wish Eli could have had his own steady long-tenured targets like Rivers had with Gates, Ryan and Julio, etc. Plax could have been that but then, well

This, but also having a good tight end that he gelled with. Shockey for a bit, Kevin Boss for a season or two, that one crazy year of Jake Ballard’s slow rear end somehow getting open until his leg imploded in the Super Bowl, reviving Martellus Bennet for one season before they let him walk in free agency.

There was also that one year, I believe 2015, where the Giants had the 31st pass defense and blew 6-7 leads where the Giants had or gained the lead with less than 2 minutes left.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
The Giants were always somehow deeply flawed during Eli's entire tenure, they never really had what felt like a complete team outside 2008, which ended with Plaxico shooting himself. If the offense was good, the defense would implode. If the defense held firm, the offense would stumble around. Beckham would win a game for them singlehandedly and the defense would give up a 2 minute drill or Coughlin would lose his ability to manage a clock

I mean one of Elis best games was when he threw 6 loving touchdowns and lost

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 10, 2023

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Febreeze posted:

I mean one of Elis best games was when he threw 6 loving touchdowns and lost

Eli Manning was a shittier Tony Romo but he offset that by fuckin winning something

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Shinjobi posted:

Eli Manning was a shittier Tony Romo but he offset that by fuckin winning something

Well that's the thing Eli was not only significantly better than Tony Romo, Tony Romo wasn't nearly as good as people made him out to be.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

*coughs in dak prescott*

Dak is good

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Doltos posted:

Well that's the thing Eli was not only significantly better than Tony Romo, Tony Romo wasn't nearly as good as people made him out to be.

Well I went ahead and looked up their win-loss records and....well, I guess so!

Tony had a better winning percentage, but Eli Manning despite clocking in at a .500 record definitely won more games than Tony Romo

Stick to commentary, Tony, I guess!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It is absolutely incredible that this thread has now devolved into people defending Eli loving Manning

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
like him or not he still slayed the greatest evil at the height of their power

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

MrMojok posted:

It is absolutely incredible that this thread has now devolved into people defending Eli loving Manning

I know, it really shouldn't be happening because everyone should already recognize that he's a first ballot hall of famer

But alas we must convince the final few holdouts

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Iodised QQ posted:

The 2011 giant defense was abysmal and bottom 6-7 in almost every stat that mattered

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2011/opp.htm

It's right up there with the frequently cited "Eli always relied on a strong running game and play action"

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/offense/rushing/2011/reg/all

The 2011 giants' team 3.5 ypc was dead last in the entire league, worse than the colt Mccoy/Peyton hillis/Montario Hardesty Browns, so you know they really fuckin sucked

Couple that with an over the hill offensive line that was just as bad at pass blocking as they were run blocking and it took a herculean effort from Eli to drag those bums to the playoffs where their defense finally decided to start trying for the first time all year. That team was really, really bad at most positions but prime Eli reached the point where he could carry a team singlehandedly for a few seasons.

And Eli at SF in the 2011 NFCCG where he got absolutely obliterated behind a gutless OL facing the best defense in the league in the rain yet never shied away from a single hit is still one of the better QB performances I've seen.

The Niners were very easily the best team in the league that year and if the QBs were swapped they would have strolled to a title, probably two or three

Eli had a lot of believers after that season and rightfully so, however there were and still (obviously) are quite a few Sean Salisbury-tier takes that he got carried to that title

Was 2011 the year the Niners blew the NFCCG because Ted Gin Jr was hurt and the replacement returner sucked balls

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The problem is dak is a loser, he's got the loser stench. Eli is a winner and stats don't loving matter when you got the rings.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Was 2011 the year the Niners blew the NFCCG because Ted Gin Jr was hurt and the replacement returner sucked balls

Yeah he biffed two punts and the Giants lucked out, as all great winners do

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Eli was a pretty good to very good QB who is a slam dunk hall of famer and still would be if he died in March 2008

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Eli was the definition of a perfectly mediocre QB for most of his career, his raw totals look good because he played for forever and never got hurt

Also this is daltos gimmick to hate on Tony Romo, but Romo was absolutely better than Eli Manning

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

Soon, and it'll be first ballot :woop:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nice

Eli owns

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He has the great combo of beating tom Brady and also losing to the eagles

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I'm pretty sure Eli is that only guy to get sacked by both Jerome McDougal and Marcus Smith. And it might have been the first sack for both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Eli should get in the hall but not first ballot. Let him and Tawm get inducted in the same class.