Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I don't mind Jedha, there was almost certainly a mandate to include a movie planet in a major way and that one makes a lot of sense for a game that delves deep in Jedi lore.

But they could have done anything with Koboh and it's kinda disappointing that it's essentally just another type of desert. Wish they had branched out a little more there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheCenturion posted:

Remember in Ghost of Tsushima, when the guy would tell you the legends for special moves, armour and weapons, in the semi-animated ink style? Imagine that, completely unironically, while a Scottish prawn regales you with his life story.

The legends in GoT were a billion times more interesting (and also way shorter). The fishing NPC just goes on and on and on and I couldn't possibly give a poo poo about anything he says lol.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
There's so many desert planets in Star Wars that I hadn't connected that Jedha was the same planet as in Rogue One. I get why Cal and the Anchorites wouldn't want to be wandering around what I guess is the only populated spot, but it's a shame we didn't see any of that vibrancy and just got the big Jedi statues and broken dome buildings. The temple area with all the stained glass right at the beginning was nice though.

Koboh I don't mind as much because there's a lot of variation in the terrain, but the predominantly dry scrub land is a bit uninspired.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I've progressed to about the third planet on the Jedi Master difficulty (whatever the 2nd hardest one is?) - and I love it, its star wars at its best. My only complaint is that the actual combat is still just not up to the same quality as a FROMSOFT or Team Ninja game. Its way too floaty, none of my combat settings seem to work (auto target + swap target automatically dont seem to do anything), and the attack patterns + parry timing on enemies can be really janky. Trying to fight Spawn of Oggdo straight up was really frustrating because of its insta-red attack moves, including back to back ones (still beat him though :argh: ). Very hard to get a solid rhythm vs enemies like that compared to fromsoft enemies. Using force powers in combat should be fluid and fun but I've also had poo poo where I force push something that is definitely force pushable only to have it fail for no reason. This game is a clear 10/10 for the art, characters, music, story, etc and probably like a 7/10 for the actual gameplay.

I honestly love all the side stuff more than the fighting. If there was a game just going around exploring, meeting interesting aliens and people, and then going back to a cantina which I own and upgrade with 100s of fresh new jizz tracks to discover, I'd die a happy man.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
You can continue to get skill points through combat exp, right (there's no hard cap)? I'm not wasting any more time on these platforming tears, but I want to make sure I don't need to get that specific skill point reward.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

PageMaster posted:

You can continue to get skill points through combat exp, right (there's no hard cap)? I'm not wasting any more time on these platforming tears, but I want to make sure I don't need to get that specific skill point reward.

Don't have any hard evidence, but I think so - skill respecs after the first cost 1 skill point and it'd be weird to remove 1 out of a finite number.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Fun tip, you can instakill jet troopers and jetpack bounty hunters if they fly over a pit and you hit them with force slam.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Really interesting to me that you can basically dress Cal as Kyle Katarn from either Dark Forces or Jedi Knight. As far as I'm concerned they've basically made the sequels to those games, and good on 'em.

Dash Rendar, too. Now if only you could dye his hair.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Nancy posted:

There's so many desert planets in Star Wars that I hadn't connected that Jedha was the same planet as in Rogue One. I get why Cal and the Anchorites wouldn't want to be wandering around what I guess is the only populated spot, but it's a shame we didn't see any of that vibrancy and just got the big Jedi statues and broken dome buildings. The temple area with all the stained glass right at the beginning was nice though.

Lol, I'm just finding this out now too. I actually don't mind the desert landscape here too much, but the city was the only reason I remember the planet from the movie. Kinda wish they'd shifted things around to give you some time there, even if it wasn't the main area on the planet.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Really interesting to me that you can basically dress Cal as Kyle Katarn from either Dark Forces or Jedi Knight. As far as I'm concerned they've basically made the sequels to those games, and good on 'em.

Why would you want to do that when you can use the Outrider duds to dress him as the Galaxy’s Greatest Pilot and Most Charming Scoundrel?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Also, I liked the choice of Jedha because soon as you hear they set up shop there, you’re thinking “welp, the hideout is turbofucked if it’s anywhere near the main city”…

..then Sith Happens and you wish the Archive and Sanctuary could have even lasted that long anyway.

I do wish there had been more planets though, it could have done with at least a couple more. Or maybe that’s just me being greedy having enjoyed it so much.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

Also, I liked the choice of Jedha because soon as you hear they set up shop there, you’re thinking “welp, the hideout is turbofucked if it’s anywhere near the main city”…

..then Sith Happens and you wish the Archive and Sanctuary could have even lasted that long anyway.

I do wish there had been more planets though, it could have done with at least a couple more. Or maybe that’s just me being greedy having enjoyed it so much.

They could actually do real DLC this time...

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Fuzz posted:

:pray:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Fuzz posted:

The Secret Hideout Planet is a marvelous out for explaining where people disappeared to and didn't get involved in the larger plotline of the films and such without having to kill them all off. Cal and Co gathering people up is an endlessly exploitable adventure hook.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I like Cal, but having the power to change his hairstyle and outfits makes me wish I could also change his hair color. And eye color. And skin color, voice, body shape, pronouns, name, blood type, favorite ice cream flavor, and sports team.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Madurai posted:

The Secret Hideout Planet is a marvelous out for explaining where people disappeared to and didn't get involved in the larger plotline of the films and such without having to kill them all off. Cal and Co gathering people up is an endlessly exploitable adventure hook.

Makes me wonder what happens in the next 8 - 10 years that makes Cal not want to join the rebel alliance. Where was he during all of the stuff in episode 4 - 6? Or the other Jedi that managed to survive?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Star Wars Jedi: Academy

I said come in! posted:

Makes me wonder what happens in the next 8 - 10 years that makes Cal not want to join the rebel alliance. Where was he during all of the stuff in episode 4 - 6? Or the other Jedi that managed to survive?

I'm guessing heroic sacrifice in the 3rd game

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nancy posted:

Star Wars Jedi: Academy

Is that canon still? I should play that then.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I don't think so unfortunately, there's no time for Luke's new Jedi order in the Disney timeline I don't think.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I should probably just play it anyways.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I think it's worth it! A little inexpertly crafted but it's a good lasersword game with some fun fighting and acrobatics.

There's some dud levels but they are generally balanced by really good & interesting levels.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

cal better not die, he needs to retire with his hot goth girlfriend and their adopted daughter

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
im loving done with this game for now until the next patch comes out
i got 5 crashes today and two of them froze up my PC completely
mindboggingly embarrassing stuff really

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I really like customizing the lightsaber and blaster*, even though you can't really see the changes much in actual gameplay. It's fun making it look cool. Right now I have the silly Justice katana-saber, but I think my favorite parts so far have been the Detachment ones, with Harmony in a second place. Don't have a lot unlocked for the blaster yet since I'm still putting my bounty hunter tokens towards the skills (just got the probe droid one because those are supremely annoying when you're fighting a group of enemies).

* this is one reason I basically have to use the blaster stance; otherwise it makes my blaster customizing go to waste

Captain Hygiene posted:

Also the little happy dance when you open a chest. I like BD-1 better than any of the movie droids, honestly.

BD-1 is a very high quality Star Wars droid in general.

Mantis is also a good "non-movies Star Wars ship" - it seems to fit the general aesthetic without being an obvious rip-off of an existing ship design.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I should probably just play it anyways.

Play Jedi Knight and Outcast too, because they rule.

They also remade Dark Forces in a new actual 3D engine, but that's a deep dive.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/1656041356152963072

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You just know Turgle is gonna show up in the next season of Mando.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's funny how in Star Wars there are "the common aliens" and then "the 'custom' aliens where you'll literally only ever see a single person from their species."

Turgle is probably one of the latter.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

New patch on PS5 today, seemed to make everything worse???

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sakurazuka posted:

New patch on PS5 today, seemed to make everything worse???

Agaaiinn?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

Standard Star War worldbuilding conventions mean that Turgle's species has a society that is wholly based on his personality traits, so look for Planet of the Frogs to have a civilization wholly built around the precepts of being hapless cowards who are constantly looking for their next big score.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

PageMaster posted:

Correct. You can actually max the entire skill tree if you really want to.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
There’s a perk which increases combat xp gain, highly recommend (though I’m doing all the tears, the traversal ones are cool when you get your muscle memory down)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ninjahedgehog posted:

I don't mind Jedha, there was almost certainly a mandate to include a movie planet in a major way and that one makes a lot of sense for a game that delves deep in Jedi lore.

I wonder if they wanted to use Tython or similar but had to use something more official (which is fine).

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Ytlaya posted:

* this is one reason I basically have to use the blaster stance; otherwise it makes my blaster customizing go to waste

Even if you don’t use the blaster stance it will still show up in cutscenes with any mods and color scheme you put on it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

jabro posted:

Even if you don’t use the blaster stance it will still show up in cutscenes with any mods and color scheme you put on it.

excepting of course when you get the bug where the textures on the gun disappear

NB: why do consoles get the update today and PC has to wait? normally it's the other way around

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

jabro posted:

You also will swap to out when riding around on Koboh.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

I would like to see Jedi Turgle and/or Mandolorian Turgle.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

They should make a Star Wars heist game called Turgle Burgles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder if they wanted to use Tython or similar but had to use something more official (which is fine).

I’m fairly sure Tython was where Grogu called Luke