Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Troy Queef posted:

https://twitter.com/NickHausenWx/status/1653095543977959434?s=20
I just drove this stretch last weekend. Reportedly the combination of northeasterly winds and plowing/planting season on the farm led to this.

Yeah its bad down here, so dry. Just one tractor out in the middle of a field was kicking up a plume of dust so bad I put the a/c on recycle, and the wind is nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'm wondering if the farmers have any liability here.

Seems something got hosed up.

Just unimaginable.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I saw a video last night that said 6 dead 30 injured from the zero visibility driving conditions in that dust.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Central Illinois farmers rediscovering the Dust Bowl. Soil erosion? What's that?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

FuturePastNow posted:

Central Illinois farmers rediscovering the Dust Bowl. Soil erosion? What's that?

Oh every last of them loves to brag about their 'black gold' and how the soil of central Illinois is the most productive in the world. You'd think you'd want to hang onto something so drat valuable, not let 10% of it blow to Indiana every winter, but nope, cover crops are a waste of money and tilling is my god given right.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
This is just pharmacy gossip but I heard two people that died were so disfigured they couldn't identify them.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The FDA really needs to start taking a stronger stance on tilling, pesticides, herbicides, and fertilization on farms. We can do better, but we just keep looking the other way as we lose topsoil and dump fertilizer into the ocean.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Lammasu posted:

This is just pharmacy gossip but I heard two people that died were so disfigured they couldn't identify them.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/police-ask-for-help-identifying-2-victims-killed-in-illinois-dust-storm-pile-up/3132098/

This is unfortunately looking as if it is true. Very horrific.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Bird in a Blender posted:

The FDA really needs to start taking a stronger stance on tilling, pesticides, herbicides, and fertilization on farms. We can do better, but we just keep looking the other way as we lose topsoil and dump fertilizer into the ocean.

Maybe the subsidies they get should have some more conditions attached

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Well, considering SCOTUS is about to say regulation by the Executive branch is unconstitutional… :lol:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Lammasu posted:

drat what’s in that dust

Jows
May 8, 2002

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Well, considering SCOTUS is about to say regulation by the Executive branch is unconstitutional… :lol:

Nuclear power gonna get LIT with no NRC breathing down their necks!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Badger of Basra posted:

drat what’s in that dust

Nanites

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jesus.

quote:

Police could not release much on the victims, but did say one was believed to have been found in a blue Chrysler 300 and another was in a Hyundai Kia, though the color was not known.
Hope they had dental records. Or a VIN number (a few semis caught on fire and I’m guessing these two were part of the blaze).

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

FuturePastNow posted:

Maybe the subsidies they get should have some more conditions attached

As if Monsanto wouldn't pay $1.25 on the dollar to replace

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hm. One of those Hyundai Kias.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Oracle posted:

Oh every last of them loves to brag about their 'black gold' and how the soil of central Illinois is the most productive in the world. You'd think you'd want to hang onto something so drat valuable, not let 10% of it blow to Indiana every winter, but nope, cover crops are a waste of money and tilling is my god given right.

I've been hearing about dirt moving out of state but I didn't realize it was literally dirt

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Forrest on Fire posted:

I've been hearing about dirt moving out of state but I didn't realize it was literally dirt

Ken Griffin's been gone for months dude, all those tax dollars he (didn't) pay, gone, like tears in rain.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Oracle posted:

Ken Griffin's been gone for months dude, all those tax dollars he (didn't) pay, gone, like tears in rain.

Gonna be real funny as Florida turns against the business community to see how he whines. I will quite enjoy him getting his comeuppance.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Djarum posted:

Gonna be real funny as Florida turns against the business community to see how he whines. I will quite enjoy him getting his comeuppance.

He won't get poo poo, they love him, he bankrolls their vanity campaigns and doesn't like 'woke.'

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Oracle posted:

He won't get poo poo, they love him, he bankrolls their vanity campaigns and doesn't like 'woke.'

They used to love Disney as well. We’re seeing how well that is going now.

The Leopard Ate My Face Party won’t ever stop claiming more victims members.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Surprised no one mentioned that the ComEd people were found guilty. I'm happy to be surprised by the verdict, but then again, it's probably easy to find a bunch of Illinoisans who want to stick it to lobbyists and politicians. I think Madigan's trial is next year.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Surprised no one mentioned that the ComEd people were found guilty. I'm happy to be surprised by the verdict, but then again, it's probably easy to find a bunch of Illinoisans who want to stick it to lobbyists and politicians. I think Madigan's trial is next year.

Yup, Madigan gets his next year. Every news report on the ComEd 4 trial had the line that Madigan’s trial is scheduled for next year.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I heard Lightfoot just declared a state of emergency. How bad are things up there?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Lammasu posted:

I heard Lightfoot just declared a state of emergency. How bad are things up there?

The death squads roam the street freely. We all sit huddled and scared under our beds.

It’s a nothing burger. Lori I think is just trying to cause as much trouble as possible on the way out the door.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
About the migrants? Yeah poo poo sucks the city is trying and failing to find places to put them.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Lammasu posted:

I mean, I'm in the 'burbs but . . . she did a what now?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Lightfoot's awful, but it's probably required to open up more spaces to house the refugees and apply for state and federal funding.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

The X-man cometh posted:

Lightfoot's awful, but it's probably required to open up more spaces to house the refugees and apply for state and federal funding.

it's this.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/0...national-guard/

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yes, this has nothing to do with violence, and is all about the migrants that are being bused here from Texas and Florida. Chicago and NYC are both scrambling to find places to put people because we're not set up to take in a flood of migrants. FL and TX at least get border patrol money, and have some sort of set up for housing, although it's pretty lovely at the time being, but I don't think we're getting any help from the feds right now.

The city has been putting them in abandoned schools on the southside and southside aldermen and some neighborhood groups are getting pissed about it. Sadly, these are the best places to put migrants because it's the area with the most unused city owned property. The idea is to try and spread them out to other areas though, and also we need to find places that can actual house human beings with enough bathrooms and kitchens.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zarin posted:

I mean, I'm in the 'burbs but . . . she did a what now?

Lightfoot declared a state of emergency because southern states are again shipping asylum seekers north to blue areas.
Obviously, since we're not on the border we're not prepared for this and declaring a state of emergency is bureaucratic step one in getting additional resources.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Yes, this has nothing to do with violence, and is all about the migrants that are being bused here from Texas and Florida. Chicago and NYC are both scrambling to find places to put people because we're not set up to take in a flood of migrants. FL and TX at least get border patrol money, and have some sort of set up for housing, although it's pretty lovely at the time being, but I don't think we're getting any help from the feds right now.

The city has been putting them in abandoned schools on the southside and southside aldermen and some neighborhood groups are getting pissed about it. Sadly, these are the best places to put migrants because it's the area with the most unused city owned property. The idea is to try and spread them out to other areas though, and also we need to find places that can actual house human beings with enough bathrooms and kitchens.

They've also been housing some migrants at police stations.

Maria Hadden, the 49th-ward alder (far north; Rogers Park), is pushing for a mass housing center in a central location like Navy Pier or McCormick Place with the reasoning that coordinating services would be easier & less disruptive to neighborhoods.

But the optics of migrant "settlements" aren't great, as Biden has learned, and it's pretty NIMBY to reject neighborhood shelters for migrants.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I don’t understand why anyone has an issue with empty schools being used. I’d rather them being used as migrant shelters than sitting empty and falling into disrepair.

The :psyduck: NIMBY brain is something else.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Djarum posted:

I don’t understand why anyone has an issue with empty schools being used. I’d rather them being used as migrant shelters than sitting empty and falling into disrepair.

The :psyduck: NIMBY brain is something else.

They're not empty tho, even when school lets out there's summer school and summer programs for the schools. And they're still going to be here in August, probably.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I thought by "empty schools" people meant the dozens of schools that Rahm closed for good as mayor but yet haven't been sold off to private developers.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Willa Rogers posted:

I thought by "empty schools" people meant the dozens of schools that Rahm closed for good as mayor but yet haven't been sold off to private developers.

oh, that makes more sense.
They might be mothballed, but yeah if they're literally empty use 'em.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Willa Rogers posted:

Yeah that is exactly what they are. Closed schools that haven’t been sold off. The majority of them are on the Southside because developers aren’t itching to build in those neighborhoods.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

In which case I can kind of see the neighborhood folks getting a tad salty about it, given that their children were then forced to travel greater distances to get to school after Rahm's closings, and given the historic tension between minority communities.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If states like Texas and Florida are going to set up human trafficking operations to Chicago, it seems like the Feds should provide the city with funding for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Niwrad posted:

If states like Texas and Florida are going to set up human trafficking operations to Chicago, it seems like the Feds should provide the city with funding for it.

Maybe divert all that money that those states get for the border and give it to where they are trafficking them to. So it ends up costing them money to be stupid and racist.