Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Depending on how they implement it there may be a massive performance issue. 12GB is probably perfectly fine for the 4070’s performance targets and isn’t a limit right now based on the 3080 10GB and 12GB doing okayish on the recent bad ports.

It definitely is embarrassing though.

edit: See!

The lesson here is that your GPU needs to have at least as much RAM as the current gen high spec console. That’d indicate 16GB, but some portions of RAM are reserved for the OS and non GPU game logic so that means the bare minimum is something more like 12GB to have a good shot of not having issues this generation. This means I’m feeling kinda bad about having a 3080 10GB, but at least that’s a lot better than 8GB which is where things seem to really fall apart. 10GB at least matches the series S.

The 3080 has considerably more memory bandwidth than the 4070.

Josh Lyman posted:

This D3 discussion is somehow giving me buyer's remorse about ordering a 4070 this morning so I did some back of the napkin calculations.

The 7900XT has 7/8 of the compute units and 5/6 of the memory bandwidth of the 7900XTX, which gives 93% of the performance at 1440p.

If the 7800XT ends up being an additional step cut down, so 6/8 of the compute units and 4/6 of the memory, that's about 80% of the 7900XTX or 8% faster than the 4070 at 1440p. This is in line with the gap between the 7900XT and 4070 Ti, and you'd get 16GB of VRAM. Assuming it's priced the same as the 4070, you're basically faced with the same question: RTX + DLSS vs slightly better rasterization performance and more VRAM.

I don't have a crystal ball, but my guess is that the 7800xt will be on par with the 6950xt but significantly more power efficient and likely better in ray tracing. The 7900xt is getting pushed below $800, the 7800xt will have to slot in below that, price wise.

Fsr is a thing, though dlss is better at the moment; frame generation for the rdna 3 is also and eventuality, though who knows when. Raytracing will be better on an rtx, but it requires vram which is already a problem in some titles--what I am getting at is there is no slam dunk like the 3080 or 1080ti in this generation of cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yudo posted:

So speaking of that here’s a pretty good video with benchmarks.

https://youtu.be/1IKHrdQecfA

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

We're still pretty in the dark about what to expect from the Navi 32 chips that'll be going into the 7800 XT / 7700 XT, most of the info I can find is pure speculation but the consensus seems to be that the chips will have 60 compute units on the 7800 XT and 54 on the 7700 XT (compared to 96 on the 7900 XTX and 84 on the 7900 XT) and 16gb / 12gb memory with 256-bit / 192-bit buses and 64mb / 48mb infinity caches, respectively

It's gonna be hard to speculate on their value until we know some prices and have seen some reviews

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

We're still pretty in the dark about what to expect from the Navi 32 chips that'll be going into the 7800 XT / 7700 XT, most of the info I can find is pure speculation but the consensus seems to be that the chips will have 60 compute units on the 7800 XT and 54 on the 7700 XT (compared to 96 on the 7900 XTX and 84 on the 7900 XT) and 16gb / 12gb memory with 256-bit / 192-bit buses and 64mb / 48mb infinity caches, respectively

It's gonna be hard to speculate on their value until we know some prices and have seen some reviews
I was under the impression the 7800XT would be Navi 31 like with the 6000 series?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Josh Lyman posted:

I was under the impression the 7800XT would be Navi 31 like with the 6000 series?

Nope, at least according to the internet rumor mill - Navi 32 for the 7800 and 7700, Navi 33 (which is gonna be a monolithic) for the 7600 and below

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Yudo posted:

1080 Ti has considerably more memory bandwidth than a 2070S.

5700XT has more bandwidth than a 6700XT.

There is more to a design than memory bandwidth, or die size, or any of the metrics that enthusiasts are fussing about the number going down on. "Effective memory bandwidth" is kind of the number that matters, but it also depends on cache hitrates and occupancy (because unused L1/L2 is also used as another cache level too). It's complicated.

Like yes, a design based on exploiting TSMC’s sense SRAM/cache looks very different than a fat wide Samsung die on a 10nm-family smartphone node with half the logic density and 1/4 the SRAM density. That is not surprising at all.

RDNA3 lets AMD physically fan out quite a bit more than Ada in general. And that’s both more Infinity Links on die (because they’re small) and also more space to route the signals to the PHY (because the package is big). Nvidia is definitely constrained by the G6/G6X modules only coming in 16Gbit density at most, they have to use clamshell to hit 16gb+ on their smaller packages, and they rely on the tsmc cache density to deliver more bandwidth and make up for less actual PHYs. But it’s also physically smaller and more efficient. Every approach has its pluses and minuses.

Nvidia really needs something like GDDR6W, where you can stack multiple memory dies into a single package for higher density. Clamshell is not ideal and will drive up cost/drive down partner margins, but it’s also the only thing nvidia can do with a package with literally 4 gddr channels attached.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 9, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yudo posted:

But a miss is a miss and regardless of how fast the copy is once it begins that’s still a delay. If a game expects everything to be in VRAM as it is on a console then you may have a lot of those misses - all that bandwidth doesn’t help if you need a context switch or whatever.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Tangent but regarding fanout, MLID had an interesting bit recently from a vendor who does design work with ODMs and they said multiple ODMs were looking at the idea of ripping out the dGPUs from some of their ultrabook models and replacing them with more battery, because they can get a 1.4x increase in capacity from eliminating a 4060 and a 1.9x increase from eliminating a 4070. And if you double the battery life of their current ultrabooks, suddenly you are in competition with a MBP for battery life.

And then he had another bit pointing out the constraints around the PHYs and I think those are correlated. The way I read it is, NVIDIA is doing the math on how tiny they can make the packages because the tinier the package the less ODMs will gain from ripping them out and replacing them with battery. So you have this focus on small packages with high cache density and extremely high clocks/transfer rates/encoding (GDDR6X with PAM4) and high (lossless) delta compression ratios to make up for narrow memory buses and few memory chips. Like it's all very optimized to produce the smallest package for ODMs for laptops.

But you get a 4060 that has one tiny GPU die and four IC packages, and with 16gbit/2GB packages that leaves you doing clamshell to try and hit enthusiast-level capacity on desktop.

Long term GDDR6W or 24gbit packages are almost a requirement for NVIDIA, I think. And really they need to look at doing L3 stacking probably too. Put a cache die under/above the GPU die, you can still do that even monolithic and it'll help stretch the memory further.

But yeah it's either in cache or not, and if not you incur going to memory. If it's not in memory, you have to go out to the SSD for it with RDMA, or to the host CPU memory, and PCIe is slow. How much do you get across a PCIe 4.0x8 bus in 16ms frametime? Not all that much actually! Fury X found this out the hard way, same for Vega with HBCC. Swapping isn't a substitute for VRAM capacity, unless PCIe gets a lot faster.

Also, I am pretty sure transfers are the unit of importance in PCIe. If you have a slow SSD or a slow motherboard, it will eat up more bus utilization than a PCIe 4 SSD/GPU/etc. And the 4060/4060 Ti (and likely AMD's) are also x8. We'll see how much that becomes a bottleneck when it's not just transferring drawcalls but also swapping tons of textures across the same link. I would not buy x8 without a PCIe 4.0 setup imo, mobo+CPU+SSD.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 9, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Arivia posted:

it's kinda crazy that GPU ram needs to equal an entire console's RAM to be competitive all of a sudden

This is not all that sudden, is it? I feel like we went through a similar thing with 4GB GPUs when games made to take full advantage of the PS4 and Xbox One started getting ported to the PC, and Nvidia had to do a major course correction with Pascal. If you have less VRAM than what the consoles have available (which is around 12GB for the current gen), then you're not guaranteed to always achieve full console parity with every game. Especially when developers have been as careless and lazy with their PC ports as they have been recently.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This is not all that sudden, is it? I feel like we went through a similar thing with 4GB GPUs when games made to take full advantage of the PS4 and Xbox One started getting ported to the PC, and Nvidia had to do a major course correction with Pascal. If you have less VRAM than what the consoles have available (which is around 12GB for the current gen), then you're not guaranteed to always achieve full console parity with every game. Especially when developers have been as careless and lazy with their PC ports as they have been recently.

How long has the ps5 been a thing...since 2019? That is long enough for a game to be developed entirely targeting a console with 16gb of vram (12gb in practice as you note).

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Yudo posted:

How long has the ps5 been a thing...since 2019? That is long enough for a game to be developed entirely targeting a console with 16gb of vram (12gb in practice as you note).

Yet games that actually took advantage of the new console generation didn't really start coming out in earnest until the past 6 months or so.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Yudo posted:

Holy poo poo has it really been over 3 years already

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Yudo posted:

So the PS5 has 16GB of RAM....total. Not just VRAM. It's shared (plus an extra 512MB for system stuff, so the real playground IS probably closer to 16 and not 12, but I would imagine you'd never budget for more than around 12GB for graphics at any given time). So importantly its unlikely that games actually need, from a technical perspective, that much VRAM. However, it seems like the approach that is being used when porting is not being very intelligent about what is being stored in VRAM and when.

Importantly, one thing that is killing me, is how these ports in particular DON'T look all that much better despite having higher requirements. I think if better engineering approaches were taken we could see that bar drop dramatically, but I don't know if its the game developers or Sony's tools or what.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Lockback posted:

So the PS5 has 16GB of RAM....total. Not just VRAM. It's shared (plus an extra 512MB for system stuff, so the real playground IS probably closer to 16 and not 12, but I would imagine you'd never budget for more than around 12GB for graphics at any given time). So importantly its unlikely that games actually need, from a technical perspective, that much VRAM. However, it seems like the approach that is being used when porting is not being very intelligent about what is being stored in VRAM and when.

Importantly, one thing that is killing me, is how these ports in particular DON'T look all that much better despite having higher requirements. I think if better engineering approaches were taken we could see that bar drop dramatically, but I don't know if its the game developers or Sony's tools or what.
One reason is that PC is a small market compared to consoles, and they're quite different machines (unpredictable and varied hardware configs, much more multi-tasking, totally different memory architecture etc). It's often not going to be worth putting in all the dev time necessary to really optimise the PC version of your game.

That doesn't mean everything has to be a TLOU-style bin fire but it's probably safe to assume no PC port will ever be as well optimised as a console game, so that will always balloon the requirements a bit

Zephro fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 9, 2023

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

ijyt posted:

Holy poo poo has it really been over 3 years already

Preorders started in September 2019, IIRC. Deliveries began sometime in 2020. Don't remember specifically when, only that for me it was shortly after lockdown began (so April or May?)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It was November 2020. Both PS5 and XSX only hit the shelves in November 2020, and there was no pre-order period. This generation has also had an unusually long "cross-gen" period because a lot of games that were supposed to come out earlier got delayed into 2022/2023. Aside from first-party stuff, we're only now seeing the first wave of games designed with the new consoles in mind, I think. If we look at the recent games that have shown issues with 8GB of VRAM, it's mostly stuff that primarily targeted the new consoles, like Forspoken, HogLeg, TLOU Part 1, RE4R (at least, when ray tracing is enabled), and the Spider-Man remasters (at high resolutions with RT enabled). Some of these are scalable to be more reasonable at lower resolutions/without RT, and others are just awful no matter what because they're poo poo ports.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 9, 2023

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

It was November 2020. Both PS5 and XSX only hit the shelves in November 2020. There was no pre-order period.

Holy crap you're right. I was so sure about that memory, but I looked up my order history and I placed my order on September 17 2020 and it was delivered November 14.

I blame COVID time dilation.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mdxi posted:

Holy crap you're right. I was so sure about that memory, but I looked up my order history and I placed my order on September 17 2020 and it was delivered November 14.

Off-topic, but where did you place your order? I'm certain that there was no pre-order period in most parts of the world because it was such a mad scramble to get one when it finally released. Were there actually retailers out there who had the common sense to use a preorder/queue system?

edit: Or I'm guessing that shops like Gamestop must have had them live for a minute before they sold out and you got lucky?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Off-topic, but where did you place your order? I'm certain that there was no pre-order period in most parts of the world because it was such a mad scramble to get one when it finally released. Were there actually retailers out there who had the common sense to use a preorder/queue system?

edit: Or I'm guessing that shops like Gamestop must have had them live for a minute before they sold out and you got lucky?

I pre ordered mine from Amazon when they had them up for like an hour before they sold out. Ordered it on sept 16th

Did the same with the Xbox from Costco.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

mdxi posted:

My sense of time is completely shot. I thought it hit the shelves late 2019.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zephro posted:

Well, it doesn't until it does. If you start to bump up against the limits of the VRAM then it affects performance pretty dramatically. Forecasting the future is a mug's game but given that most new AAA games will be targeting the Series X and the PS5 and dropping support for older consoles, I'd be a little uncomfortable with 12GB if I was planning to hold onto the card for more than a couple of years. It might be fine, but even if it is it'll be a bit of tight squeeze.

edit: especially given I'd have paid $600 for the card, ie $200 more than an entire PlayStation 5

Yeah I mostly play VR poo poo nowadays and things like VRChat especially are VRAM hogs, because nobody believes in optimized texture work. I have a 3080 12GB and I can watch my frame rate literally slash in half as soon as I fill my VRAM and textures wind up cached in system RAM. Even worse is if you somehow wind up overflowing your VRAM significantly, which seems to pretty much be impossible outside of poo poo like VRChat, you can eat up all your system RAM with textures that didn't fit in VRAM, and you can crash your PC.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

orange juche posted:

Yeah I mostly play VR poo poo nowadays and things like VRChat especially are VRAM hogs, because nobody believes in optimized texture work. I have a 3080 12GB and I can watch my frame rate literally slash in half as soon as I fill my VRAM and textures wind up cached in system RAM. Even worse is if you somehow wind up overflowing your VRAM significantly, which seems to pretty much be impossible outside of poo poo like VRChat, you can eat up all your system RAM with textures that didn't fit in VRAM, and you can crash your PC.

one time i heard someone bitching about 16gb not being enough because of modded skyrim

at some point that's on you buddy, you're shoving bloated texture packs into age old games and pretending that means "fidelity"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Shipon posted:

one time i heard someone bitching about 16gb not being enough because of modded skyrim

at some point that's on you buddy, you're shoving bloated texture packs into age old games and pretending that means "fidelity"

I've run across poo poo where people are using 8k textures for skinning models, individual 8k textures for each material instead of realizing that 4k is quite probably fine, and they could also atlas the textures to save space in vram. Some people build avatars which consume an entire GB of VRAM just for the textures on one model. It's what happens when you give people who know gently caress all about best practices for 3d modelling the ability to import whatever the gently caress they want into your game.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

Best Buy. They and, like, Walmart were doing the functional equivalent of pre-sales on what I suppose were their initial allocations from Sony. I happened to be up late one night, saw someone post about a new batch showing up and thought "can't hurt to try", and actually landed one.

Didn't say anything to anyone about it for months because I felt so guilty as the magnitude of the shortage became apparent.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

The 6900xt is $580 on Amazon. I think that qualifies as a firesale. I have wonder how much rdna 2 inventory is left.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4060-ti-8gb-to-launch-on-may-24th-a-day-before-radeon-rx-7600

4060 Ti 8GB release: May 24th
7600 8GB release: May 25th
4060 8GB release: 1H July
4060 Ti 16GB release: 2H July

My condolences to reviewers who have to review two GPUs at the same time.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4060-ti-8gb-to-launch-on-may-24th-a-day-before-radeon-rx-7600

4060 Ti 8GB release: May 24th
7600 8GB release: May 25th
4060 8GB release: 1H July
4060 Ti 16GB release: 2H July

My condolences to reviewers who have to review two GPUs at the same time.

8gb of vram, gross

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ah, there's my route in 2025. a nice 5060 Ti 14GB for $650

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The "4060" is really going to be an old-school x50 product, the poo poo you buy for video decoding/multiple outputs/etc or maybe for a kid to play a few 5 year old games. In that context 8gb of vram is perfectly fine, the problem is it's going to sell for $400+ instead of the relatively trivial cost those products used to have where sometimes you could justify it for a specific use case. The 4060 Ti we'll see but that's probably going to be a product that never should have existed and is a bad buy to sell the 4070, so I'm not sure the VRAM will even matter but it depends on price.

AMD's positioning is actually super weird and seems like it will make no sense, with the 7600 probably being a GPU that really should have more VRAM. It's an odd decision because AMD is still on G6 and it's not that expensive, must be driven by a desire to avoid higher memory on a lower end GPU at a moment when GPU VRAM appears relatively more important.

This generation continues to really, really suck outside of the 4090. None of these cards are going to be fun to own 3 years from now, and they all cost way too much to buy for such a short term.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Cavauro posted:

ah, there's my route in 2025. a nice 5060 Ti 14GB for $650

Bold of you to assume it’ll be that affordable.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Cavauro posted:

ah, there's my route in 2025. a nice 5060 Ti 14GB for $950
There we go

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I'm thinking of selling my 6800XT and getting a 4070. I'd like to be able to do raytracing (even if it needs upscaling/frame gen), and mostly I'd like to be able to mess around with AI stuff, which is just a nightmare with AMD cards. In either case the lower VRAM kind of sucks but drat the 4080 is expensive. I'm also thinking I'm being an idiot because the 6800XT is fine, RT is a gimmick at anything but absolute high end, and I should save up for a 5090 or whatever and rent GPUs online to do ML...

I really wish NVidia had been a little more competitive this round so that I'd have a better excuse to dump my AMD card, instead of being tempted to do a ~$100 "side-grade" to play with some tech.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I have heard from several people itt that it saves both time and money to rent GPU time for ML, unless you are doing it literally all the time, and then it is worth the multiple thousands to get one of the Quadro cards.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

wargames posted:

8gb of vram, gross

This really needs to stop, ffs

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

a 5060 will be 12GB with a 96-bit memory bus

or 12GB with a 64b bus using the 3GB GDDR7 chips

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

we love the state of AAA gaming don't we folks

https://twitter.com/opinali/status/1656318296407392257?t

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

steam shows two file sizes for patches—the download size and the size of the files the patch modifies. he's only showing the latter

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Yeah the patch is only 4.3GB apparently.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

oh, that's no fun to make fun of

in real news, asus is launching a new 4090 variant with the smaller cooler from their 3090ti which might be good for space constrained cases

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1656304449856458753

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

MagusDraco posted:

Yeah the patch is only 4.3GB apparently.

I only downloaded 1.75GB on the EA app lol