Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I know absolutely nothing but from what I've learned from you guys over the past year or so the US/EU stationing NATO bodies and assets in Ukraine as a trip wire defense seems really unlikely and would be seen from Russia as a giant escalation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

saratoga posted:

The US/EU are sitting on something like a couple hundred billion in Russian assets and reserves that were frozen in overseas banks. There is no short term need for that money, but they're going to want it back eventually, and that isn't going to happen without a formal agreement to end the fighting.

That money will near certainly go towards reparations, though it's far from covering for all the damage Russia did.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

cr0y posted:

I know absolutely nothing but from what I've learned from you guys over the past year or so the US/EU stationing NATO bodies and assets in Ukraine as a trip wire defense seems really unlikely and would be seen from Russia as a giant escalation.

I could see it as a result of a treaty allowing US bases in Ukraine, independent of NATO, like with South Korea or Japan. At that point, there wouldn't be much Russia could do about it.

I think the probability of such a treaty is fairly low, but if Ukraine formally requests it, it would be hard for the US to say no.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

OddObserver posted:

That money will near certainly go towards reparations, though it's far from covering for all the damage Russia did.

The threat that this could happen is why they'll eventually choose to negotiate. So far though, the Russians are nominally due most of it back eventually.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

I could see it as a result of a treaty allowing US bases in Ukraine, independent of NATO, like with South Korea or Japan. At that point, there wouldn't be much Russia could do about it.

I think the probability of such a treaty is fairly low, but if Ukraine formally requests it, it would be hard for the US to say no.

Fun fact: permitting foreign bases in Ukraine would require a special kind of constitutional amendment (to Ukrainian Constitution, that is) that requires a national referendum alongside 2/3rd parliamentary approval.
(See Article 17 and Article 156). There was previously a transitional clause that permitted Russian presence in Crimea to be grandfathered, which was sufficiently vague to be possibly misused for such a purpose... but it was removed by the very amendment that stated that joining EU and NATO was a goal.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If Ukraine pushes out Russia, why wouldn’t Ukraine join NATO? With Russia’s track record of invading whenever they feel like it, it kinda seems like their only way to guarantee they won’t get invaded in *rolls dice* 12 years.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If Ukraine pushes out Russia, why wouldn’t Ukraine join NATO? With Russia’s track record of invading whenever they feel like it, it kinda seems like their only way to guarantee they won’t get invaded in *rolls dice* 12 years.

Joining NATO isn't going to happen overnight. Accession may take a decade or more once the war is over. Ukraine may want some sort of security guarantor in the interim.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

saratoga posted:

The US/EU are sitting on something like a couple hundred billion in Russian assets and reserves that were frozen in overseas banks. There is no short term need for that money, but they're going to want it back eventually, and that isn't going to happen without a formal agreement to end the fighting.

This is why it's so useful to keep that money locked up for the time being. The money could go to reparations, but if it could be used to buy lasting peace on favorable terms, it's a far better bargain

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Fun fact: permitting foreign bases in Ukraine would require a special kind of constitutional amendment (to Ukrainian Constitution, that is) that requires a national referendum alongside 2/3rd parliamentary approval.
(See Article 17 and Article 156). There was previously a transitional clause that permitted Russian presence in Crimea to be grandfathered, which was sufficiently vague to be possibly misused for such a purpose... but it was removed by the very amendment that stated that joining EU and NATO was a goal.

I have a feeling political support for that in Ukraine, if NATO accession does not seem imminent after the war, would be extremely high. If they can't join NATO allowing US bases in Ukraine is the next best thing. Especially since both Ukraine and the US have precedent cases for doing that with other nations.

Honestly that sounds like an easier option than joining NATO. It only requires the 2 countries to consent while accomplishing effectively the same goal. And the US could probably do it even if all of Ukraine's pre-2014 territory is not returned, whereas convincing NATO to let a partially liberated Ukraine in could be very complicated.

But on more immediate matters, hearing more about a counter-attack on Russia's south flank around Bakmut towards Klishchiivka, including a possible Bradley field sighting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBWGSIQd-Co&t=133s (:nms: some drone combat footage including soldiers fleeing from a tank at close range, and a destroyed armored vehicle)

Orthanc6 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 10, 2023

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Orthanc6 posted:

I have a feeling political support for that in Ukraine, if NATO accession does not seem imminent after the war, would be extremely high. If they can't join NATO allowing US bases in Ukraine is the next best thing. Especially since both Ukraine and the US have precedent cases for doing that with other nations.

Honestly that sounds like an easier option than joining NATO. It only requires the 2 countries to consent while accomplishing effectively the same goal. And the US could probably do it even if all of Ukraine's pre-2014 territory is not returned, whereas convincing NATO to let a partially liberated Ukraine in could be very complicated.

That’s kind of my take as well. I would include the UK as well since they have been heavily involved in all of this I would imagine they would likely want to contribute to Ukraine’s security after the fact as well.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Didn't see this mentioned in re: Putin's stupid parade, and it should be.

https://twitter.com/anneapplebaum/status/1655945049526669316

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

cr0y posted:

You should look up how close the closest US bases and NATO in general already are to Russia. That's already the status quo

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/10/asia/japan-foreign-minister-hayashi-nato-intl-hnk

So that just dropped. Japan opening a “NATO liaison office” is surely going to make both Russia and more importantly China very unhappy.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I guess to some people there's nothing more offensive than aligning with a defensive alliance.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Geez, the "NA" part of NATO is really getting a stretch these days, huh?

What's the payload on the storm shadows?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Djarum posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/10/asia/japan-foreign-minister-hayashi-nato-intl-hnk

So that just dropped. Japan opening a “NATO liaison office” is surely going to make both Russia and more importantly China very unhappy.

articles 5 and 6 of the us-japan security treaty arguably already gives japan quasi-nato status in the ways that really matter, but it does again highlight that if the overarching goal was to isolate america and move the eu and east asia towards a more regional and multipolar outlook, it has almost certainly failed

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Orthanc6 posted:

In my opinion if the war resolves 'cleanly' with all of Russia ejected from Ukraine and Crimea, with a cease-fire or peace. Ukraine joining NATO would be likely. The Baltic countries, Poland and Finland would lobby hard for it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I'll just put it out there, if Australia's allowed into Eurovision it should also be allowed into NATO!

It does sort of bring up though, with a lot of these strategic alliances proximate of the allying countries often seems like it isn't so much a factor now days. With globalized trade, and modern armies capable -and usually expected to- fight on the other side of the world it been seemingly like less of an issue, to most western militaries at least.

Also I think most countries would be practical enough that they wouldn't really care if the treaty name no longer accurately related to the treaty itself. It would really bug the hell out of some people though, I know that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The North Atlantic and Baltic and Black Sea Treaty Organization

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Do we think everyone would readily commit to allowing them in? I mean, Sweden is already having trouble.

OAquinas posted:

Geez, the "NA" part of NATO is really getting a stretch these days, huh?

Yeah, I don't understand how this would work exactly?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Not Another Treaty Organization

Eh, Im sure somebody can come up with a better name or just do the usual thing of just officially becoming Nato, with no periods and standing for nothing.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Barudak posted:

Not Another Treaty Organization

Eh, Im sure somebody can come up with a better name or just do the usual thing of just officially becoming Nato, with no periods and standing for nothing.

It's already essentially the North America Treaty Organization

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Call it the Pacific Occidental Trans Atlantic Treaty Organization

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
The Soviet Union did it better by just naming their alliance after a city.

New York Treaty Organisation. NYTO. Could have worked, but noooo, we had to know better

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

dr_rat posted:

I'll just put it out there, if Australia's allowed into Eurovision it should also be allowed into NATO!

There is already AUKUS which Canada is making noises about joining so I could see a Pacific based defence alliance like NATO start to grow.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Good thread by Greg Yudin about the framing of inevitable defeat. A bit too far in vibes-based reporting since the war may go in same tempo for 5 years or so but pretty rational.

https://twitter.com/YudinGreg/status/1656074583559262208?t=bNxdoGNlbB6GGC2kRuZUQg&s=19

Discendo Vox posted:

Call it the Pacific Occidental Trans Atlantic Treaty Organization

:clap:

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 10, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

OddObserver posted:

That money IRC was about one month worth of Russian GDP. If it was used for reparation, it will surely trigger more sell off of US debt and bonds and moving toward non-Swift currency trade to decrease USD foreign reserve by Saudi and other countries. China is already doing it so I don't count them.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

That money IRC was about one month worth of Russian GDP. If it was used for reparation, it will surely trigger more sell off of US debt and bonds and moving toward non-Swift currency trade to decrease USD foreign reserve by Saudi and other countries. China is already doing it so I don't count them.

The frozen assets of Russian central bank are US$ 300 bln. Annual Russian state revenue from oil and gas export is about US$ 193 bln.

Considering that US is not in the rush to actually seize those assets it looks like they expect it to be a part of future negotiations (lock on it for foreseeable future if Russia does not budge on security guarantees or a subject of bilateral reparations/compensations talks)

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

stephenthinkpad posted:

Countries have been threatening moves away from the dollar since the 1920s and they still haven't done it. They said exactly the same thing when America froze those assets in the first place.

In any event, that's not a good reason to not do the right thing.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 10, 2023

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

With yesterday's Victory Day being the 78th anniversary basic math enthusiasts know that there are not many veterans around but Putin went even farther and just selected NKVD-KGB butchers. Few more years and he is going to wear the medals himself.

https://twitter.com/agents_media/status/1655992185429295104?t=ur_U6e-p3N0TP0RxRvvN-w&s=19

quote:

Vladimir Putin sat next to two veterans at the Victory Parade on Red Square. However, neither of them fought against the Nazi forces. One of the veterans was a member of the NKVD who fought against the underground in Ukraine, and the second veteran took part in the suppression of the Prague Spring, according to analysis by the Agency.

Details. To the right of Putin sat 98-year-old Yuri Dvoikin (in the photo below he is wearing a cap). In 1942, he enlisted in the army as a volunteer, but never made it to the front. After graduating from the school of snipers in 1944 he was sent to Lvov region with the NKVD "to carry out operations on liquidation of the nationalistic underground in the Western Ukraine".

▪️To the left of Putin sat Gennady Zaitsev (pictured with his cap). Zaytsev was born in 1934 and did not participate in the Great Patriotic War. He was drafted for military service in 1953, stayed in the army after completing military service, and in 1959 began serving in the KGB.

▪️В 1968 Zaytsev participated in the introduction of Soviet troops into Czechoslovakia to suppress anti-Soviet protests and the "Prague Spring". Zaytsev led a group of the 7th Directorate of the Soviet KGB in Operation Danube, as the entry of troops into Czechoslovakia was called. Under his leadership the building of the Ministry of Internal Affairs in Prague was seized. In the 1970s, Zaytsev headed the Alfa anti-terrorist group created by Yuri Andropov.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Pook Good Mook posted:

Countries have been threatening moves away from the dollar since the 1920s and they still haven't done it. They said exactly the same thing when America froze those assets in the first place.

In any event, that's not a good reason to not do the right thing.

That's because historically, the US (like the British empire before it) respects loans and financial agreements above all other considerations. People within their own border may be paupered, morals may be bent but one thing that does not happen is the financial contract is reneged upon.

Once the money men no longer consider you a safe haven, then they will be desperate and unsympathetic in their pursuit of additional safety. It has been the ruin of many an empire over the course of history.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

You should look up how close the closest US bases and NATO in general already are to Russia. That's already the status quo

From a historical Finnish perspective (please don't ban me fatherboxx for history nerdery), this has been a massive foreign policy issue slash problem. The Soviet Union spent a lot of effort and bullying about their concerns with Norway and Denmark being in NATO, and conversely Finland of the Cold War era had many foreign policy proposals aimed at diffusing this situation. Obviously Finnish leaders understood if a shooting war started the Soviets would want to use Finnish territory to assault Norway, and Finnish leaders also understood NATO / US understood this too, so Finland was in a perilous position.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Electric Wrigglies posted:

That's because historically, the US (like the British empire before it) respects loans and financial agreements above all other considerations. People within their own border may be paupered, morals may be bent but one thing that does not happen is the financial contract is reneged upon.

Once the money men no longer consider you a safe haven, then they will be desperate and unsympathetic in their pursuit of additional safety. It has been the ruin of many an empire over the course of history.

Where are they gonna go? No one wants to accept rubles, and no one trusts the Chinese banking and stock markets. Oil is traded in dollars and pounds and the two largest stock markets are in dollars. Of the top ten stock exchanges, 7 are "Western" markets.

Luxury goods markets and real estate will be affected for a few years, at most. None of the oligarchs will permanently stay away. They will still send their kids to school in London, they will still vacation in France, and they will still buy property in Miami. They can talk a big talk but none of them honestly want to cut the West or its decadence from their lives. They are greedy capitalists on their best days, and hypocrites on all the other days.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 10, 2023

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1656256203432013824?t=cBmCEq1_oeBohk0zWrEz8w&s=19

Finally, a background for the recent pantsshitting media blitz from Prigozhin - absence of communication between Wagner and the army resulted in their asses getting kicked (also confirmed from Ukrainian side by Andriy Biletsky)

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I've been incredulous on Prigozhin's rants but it looks like Putin may actually have a rogue general on his hands. How the hell do you even begin to handle such a situation?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I've been incredulous on Prigozhin's rants but it looks like Putin may actually have a rogue general on his hands. How the hell do you even begin to handle such a situation?

His main business is still on a government contracts lifeline (food supply and catering) and if they get cut, he becomes just moderately rich property owner with a loud bot farm. If he starts doing things instead of just running mouth, his forces will just be starved out and left holding the bag when frontline becomes hot.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
:lol: Apparently, old Prigo's claims that Russian soldiers have abandoned their posts was real: Ukraine claims they retook 8km² of Bakhmut today

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1656256203432013824?t=cBmCEq1_oeBohk0zWrEz8w&s=19

Finally, a background for the recent pantsshitting media blitz from Prigozhin - absence of communication between Wagner and the army resulted in their asses getting kicked (also confirmed from Ukrainian side by Andriy Biletsky)

War in Ukraine CE: Worse than women, honestly

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

spankmeister posted:

The North Atlantic and Baltic and Black Sea and Northern Pacific Treaty Organization

NABBSNPTO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

PIZZA.BAT posted:

You have the KGB GRU push him out a window. It's not complicated. Prigozhin is a useful tool, but he's not very powerful. Shoigu has been Putin's hatchet man since early days. Prigozhin either gets in line or gets murked. I'm unsure which is better for Ukraine. Probably, the best is what we're seeing now: Wagner being responsible for important terrain, not being supported by the RAF, and getting routed by Ukrainian attacks.

Retaking ~20% of the territory in Bakhmut is a big deal tactically. Ukraine was kind of hanging on by its fingernails, and now has an actual foothold again. Does anyone know if the Russian 72nd Brigade referenced in some of the tweets is the 72nd Separate Motor Rifle Brigade? One of the Russian VDV divisions has been parked east of Bakhmut as an operational reserve for some time. I'd be surprised if it were not heavily depleted, but it's an important operational reserve Ukraine would want to tie up prior to major offensive operations. I'm wondering if Ukraine is trying to get that unit to come into Bakhmut proper. (That VDV division is probably the one providing Wagner with artillery support.)