Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's fun to look at recommendations for compact cars because when you look them up, they'll all already have been discontinued

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

the mustang, the smallest vehicle they offer

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
but I need a big car to haul things

MF I just fit an upright bass, an electric bass, my amp and a 2x10" speaker cabinet into my vw golf for a gig last night

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

MF I just fit an upright bass, an electric bass, my amp and a 2x10" speaker cabinet into my vw golf for a gig last night

Cargo bike is your friend, the lack of roof actually adds a lot of flexibility.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

I agree with all this guy's content but my hot take is we need content like this that's not boring, overlong poo poo narrated by white nerds. even as someone with 4 bikes and no car I usually can't make it through these videos

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm the exact target demographic of those videos though

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess I personally like "boring, overlong poo poo narrated by white nerds" but I agree that we need other content in the sense that someone needs to figure out how to present these ideas in a way that isn't preaching to the choir

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Polo-Rican posted:

I agree with all this guy's content but my hot take is we need content like this that's not boring, overlong poo poo narrated by white nerds. even as someone with 4 bikes and no car I usually can't make it through these videos

Same. THis is also why I like CityNerd because he doesn't even pretend he can put the effort to be entertaining in.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

get you the f150 OP

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

I can vouch that a Toyota Corolla hatchback can carry a 36" rolling tool box almost as well as a Jeep Cherokee can.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

theres like ab illion nissan cars that all look the same but have different names, you can probably go with one of those

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I like that maverick, thats a good compact car. a little small tho

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
gonna become a guy that makes living in a van his personality. i love working on my personality

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

nomad2020 posted:

I can vouch that a Toyota Corolla hatchback can carry a 36" rolling tool box almost as well as a Jeep Cherokee can.

Jeeps are a special tier of worthless trash

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

theres like ab illion nissan cars that all look the same but have different names, you can probably go with one of those

I only buy American cars (assembled in Mexico).

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I recommend the horse

Looks like the delivery might take a while, but that's supply chains for you

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

altimas are for a very particularly type of stupid goondriver though.

I’d say they should be scoured from the face of the planet but they usually do that themselves anyways

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

I get the feeling sometimes that cool and entertaining people are cool and entertaining partly because they aren't really into making urban planning videos.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

saw a bentley today

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Weembles posted:

I get the feeling sometimes that cool and entertaining people are cool and entertaining partly because they aren't really into making urban planning videos.

no, no... this can't be right... this doesn't make any sense

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Polo-Rican posted:

no, no... this can't be right... this doesn't make any sense

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

buy the transit van

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

McCracAttack posted:

I only buy American cars (assembled in Mexico).

korea, and japan are america though :confused:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYyKsZMXooo&t=232s

It was apparently just a dude who snapped. Cool! Absolutely wild.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

lobster shirt posted:

saw a bentley today

horrible creatires

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

saw a bentley today

You sure it wasn't a Hyundai Genesis? Make sure to point to the logo and ask them if it's a Hyundai Genesis. Don't take no for an answer, it's definitely a Genesis.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Boywhiz88 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYyKsZMXooo&t=232s

It was apparently just a dude who snapped. Cool! Absolutely wild.

Never seen a car accident before?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they paving outside at 11 pm cause god forbid they close a road in the daytime nah they gotta have 30 idiots out there slamming steaming dumptruck loads down on the street all night get her ready for the precious commute

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Real hurthling! posted:

they paving outside at 11 pm cause god forbid they close a road in the daytime nah they gotta have 30 idiots out there slamming steaming dumptruck loads down on the street all night get her ready for the precious commute

maybe the bus uses the road too

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

actionjackson posted:

buy the transit van

yeah the transit connect is pretty small as far as cars available in America go

https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/compare/ford-tourneo-courier-2014-minivan-vs-volkswagen-golf-2012-5-door-hatchback/

but bike + trailer is better :getin:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
stfu about buying cars

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDGNNxY56k0

I wanted offer one criticism of this video: Chinese rail stations are designed with new developments in mind. It isn't just that China wants to save cash by not building it directly in a CBD; they can also control land usage so expansion happens around the station itself, which makes forcing a station in the old CBD redundant. Also, it is less of a issue if you have dense transit connections between the two.

He gives Tokyo station as a positive example of what China should have done, but if anything, Tokyo's central station is clearly crammed with already existing development and by its position between the Imperial Palace and the bay, can only actually service a very specific section of Tokyo.

He is right about most of the rest of it since the Economist seems to be mostly guided by emotional concerns, but yeah, it is worth bringing it up.

----------

Otherwise, induced demand is clearly a very real issue and you can't expand road infrastructure like you can expand rail or other infrastructure. On a metro line, you can start just running more trains, it is a little easier than bulldozing homes to add a single extra lane.

In addition, the efficiency of roads is just difficult to get right as they get larger. It is easy to have bottlenecks if you can't fully expand a road (which is very common) or you expand it so wide that merging traffic partially negates efficiency, and those issues won't be solved by autonomous cars (which will probably induce more demand). Expressways just maximized their usefulness in many cities, and the only real solution is state involvement in rail development.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Minera posted:

stfu about buying cars

that’s pretty epic op thanks for sharing

mystes
May 31, 2006

Minera posted:

stfu about buying cars

lol

Ardennes posted:

I wanted offer one criticism of this video: Chinese rail stations are designed with new developments in mind. It isn't just that China wants to save cash by not building it directly in a CBD; they can also control land usage so expansion happens around the station itself, which makes forcing a station in the old CBD redundant.
I'm surprised that even urbanist/pro-transit people make this mistake, because building the rail first makes tons of sense in terms of planning development around transit when there's space to do it, and it's how almost all rail lines were traditionally developed. The fact that a lot of countries don't do it that way is probably more a sign of not being forward thinking enough or not being able to execute sufficiently long-term plans. It's weird because building massive road infrastructure before there's actual demand for it seems to be very common in North America.

mystes has issued a correction as of 14:14 on May 10, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Admittedly, they may simply be held back by existing infrastructure and the fact it may more sense to refit an older system than build a new one from scratch. That said, if you can, why it do it especially since you know there will be continued urbanization in the long term.

The rest of the video was fine, I would also only add that a HSR system has a additional benefit over roads simply because it does generate revenue even if it can’t repay its capital costs immediately and over time this may pay off the debt on its own beyond all the other benefits.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Minera posted:

stfu about buying cars

It says cars ftmfw right there in the title

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

reading for today

quote:

A wolf in sheep's clothing: Exposing the structural violence of private electric automobility

The world is running out of time to avoid cataclysmic climate impacts. Therefore, determining which decarbonisation strategies are more effective and inclusive in reducing anthropogenic dependency on fossil fuels is vital for governments' decisions on investment. This research argues that the electrification of private automobility is neither effective nor equitable. Considering the current electricity mix of the grid, this electrification merely shifts the CO2 emissions and other pollutants from urban to rural areas. The strategy of private automobility electrification does not look beyond the problem of tailpipe emissions and hence cannot eliminate the deficiencies of the car-dependent system that require system-wide solutions, such as traffic congestion and road accidents. Prioritising this strategy not only maintains existing inequities but also increases social injustice and delays the implementation of more effective interventions. We argue that using private EVs structurally violates the biosphere and human communities in three ways: (1) production of inequities, (2) pollution and waste, and (3) the space of the exception (the ‘Electric Vehicle Bubble’). Finally, we conclude that eradicating private automobility is necessary to realise climate and transport justice. Focusing on inclusive strategies, such as supporting public transportation, shared mobility, and active travel modes, instead of offering incentives for EVs, are the means of progressive redistribution of wealth and can satisfactorily meet people's basic needs and governmental climate targets.
http://www.tara.tcd.ie/handle/2262/102321

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Was sitting at a light with my husband and he just had his first real "jesus christ those trucks are tall, how is that legal" moment because the grill of the ford 150 next to us was literally taller than our car / above his head which im sure just generally feels weird for a tall guy. im used to poo poo being taller than me at 5'6 but he's 6'3.

There's certainly something funny as gently caress though about being in the home depot parking lot and watching the big pick up truck guys try like 7 times to park their cars in the spots that are already huge but not big enough for their pickups.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

silicone thrills posted:

Was sitting at a light with my husband and he just had his first real "jesus christ those trucks are tall, how is that legal" moment because the grill of the ford 150 next to us was literally taller than our car / above his head which im sure just generally feels weird for a tall guy. im used to poo poo being taller than me at 5'6 but he's 6'3.

There's certainly something funny as gently caress though about being in the home depot parking lot and watching the big pick up truck guys try like 7 times to park their cars in the spots that are already huge but not big enough for their pickups.

I got blocked into the veterinarian's lot yesterday because it's an old small city lot and some shithead parked one of those giant Rams across it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/engineerdustin/status/1656287290203811843

https://twitter.com/mattnoahsmith/status/1656292069323800576

https://twitter.com/engineerdustin/status/1656293137839521792