Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kale
May 14, 2010

If Mihoyo can hold on two more days they'll have successfully kept this Charlotte future tease Fontaine characters appearance a secret this whole Beta cycle and seeminglt most of what's happening with 3.7. Didn't think that was possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Am I crazy or does that game look awful?

In what way, the game is like 2 years away from release

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Hitlag is always terribad without exception, and that video had a metric shitload of it every time anything hit anything else. Also yeah, it's probably just the gear/skills used, but despite attacks being visually impressive enough they seemed to do nothing but tickle the enemies. Not a fan.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tae posted:

In what way, the game is like 2 years away from release

I mostly just think the combat looks pretty terrible in the video. Maybe it plays better than it looks, or will get hammered into better shape before release, but as initial impressions go mine definitely isn't good. I'm already playing three of these loving things to varying degrees though so maybe it's for the best if I don't like it

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 9, 2023

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
Mihoyo really loves hitlag, in honkai impact it can get so bad to make you think the game is about to crash, especially vs img enemies.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I’ve only just realised.

Sorush is the prototype for steerable Paimon. I will not be convinced otherwise.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I am glad ZZZ does not look good to me because Mihoyo already has me with their other three games.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I’ve only just realised.

Sorush is the prototype for steerable Paimon. I will not be convinced otherwise.

More seriously, she really feels like a prototype for submarine mechanics or some other underwater gameplay mechanic for Fontaine proper.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact/comments/13cq4yq/archon_war_sized_ganyu/

Love how this seems destined to forever remain a perversion of canon that Ganyu either once did a submission hold on a monster or was somehow giant as opposed to just fat. Like it clearly implies that and that shes super kawaii embarrassed about her weight back then buy the internet decided otherwise lol. Either way unsettling Kaijuu stuff going on in that video.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Kale posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact/comments/13cq4yq/archon_war_sized_ganyu/

Love how this seems destined to forever remain a perversion of canon that Ganyu either once did a submission hold on a monster or was somehow giant as opposed to just fat. Like it clearly implies that and that shes super kawaii embarrassed about her weight back then buy the internet decided otherwise lol. Either way unsettling Kaijuu stuff going on in that video.
It never ceases to amaze me how staggeringly badly nerds people in general are at understanding even the most basic media.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Asimo posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how staggeringly badly nerds people in general are at understanding even the most basic media.

I think they just want it to fit their preferred meme in any way possible sometimes and depending on what the current meme of the moment is square pegs will get rammed into round holes sometimes to make it work. Chinese social media got it pretty much bang on from what I could tell and had a fat round Ganyu rolling down a hill meme pretty quickly. "Thighs" are one of the trendy meme charm points for anime characters these days so the moment they saw that word I imagine they just blanked everything else out from that character story and decided that she did a pro wrestling move on some monsters neck. A lot of people just take whoever's word for it too and don't actually read those blurbs so I think it just sort of spread after that and now it's "she used to be giant" and nobody really questions it cause it's a reddit entry borrowed from Bilibili content. I imagine it was actually just some guy fiddling around with mods and model scaling ratios and seeing how it'd work out. It's clearly having trouble with handling the idea of a character walking around in Liyue Harbour too.

Yeah this stuff's not that important, but I always find it kind of a fun mental exercise to try to rationalize how I think other people rationalize head canon stuff for popular media.

e: TL;DR of it all is I don't think some people are staggering bad at understanding the most basic of media so much as they just aren't even paying any drat attention to most of what they consume anymore in the first place. At leat beyond the visual/audio/memetic aspects of things in the social media age of rapid fire media consumption and turnover. What can I use from this thing to get in on the joke on my social media groups, otherwise all other points of data/information/lore is disposable.

Kale fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 9, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I mean... Did you watch the video? It's a silly title for a silly genshin mod. There are fat ganyu mods too, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean damage numbers in that zzz video are probably adjusted so that they can show off the characters moves without stuff dying

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Posting 5000 words about ganyus fat rear end

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

She killed a demon with it don't you know.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Endorph posted:

Posting 5000 words about ganyus fat rear end

a picture is worth a thousand words so that's 5 pics thanks in advance

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Traveller posted:

She killed a demon with it don't you know.

DOOM Eternal could never

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Who the hell would make ⭕️ descend and ❌ ascend? Why would you look at a controller and say "yes, this makes sense?"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The default PC controls were whack as hell too.

Also they need to do the same thing as star rail and let me use the controller from start to finish. Not being able to exit or start the game with the controller is dumb as hell.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

Also they need to do the same thing as star rail and let me use the controller from start to finish. Not being able to exit or start the game with the controller is dumb as hell.

i sure so love how, in addition to all the other long requested improvements, hsr lets me change keyboard and controller on the fly but genshin still can't

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

MarcusSA posted:

Are they? I don't really remember, but I feel like it was ctrl and shift? Maybe ctrl and space, which isn't tidily up/down, but at least sorta makes sense, in that old fps way.

Also the stupidest thing about starting the game is actually that you have to click in the inner 80% or something. The desktop shortcut's on the lower left of my screen, and I have to move the mouse to successfully click to start. Dumb as hell, and it should obviously just let you press a drat key or something.

No idea about exiting, because lol who's going to use their logout button when there's alt-f4?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

luckily HSR and ZZZ are different enough (and not appealing enough to me) that I can just stick with this game without being sucked into another gacha game hell

Zenostein posted:

Who the hell would make ⭕️ descend and ❌ ascend? Why would you look at a controller and say "yes, this makes sense?"

I couldnt even play bow characters on a controller until they finally added x y axis adjustments like a year later

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Zenostein posted:

X is jump therefore it’s up. A ton of games have that, and circle as crouch so it’s pretty universal.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Kind of get the feeling after a week of the current banner that a lot of people even in Asia seem really upset that there's a banner featuring two male characters as it's headliners for what feels like the first time ever. Been kind of seeing a lot of gay panic type stuff out there in the global community (the response to this one new video on the Japanese youtube channel is really uncharacteristic of that region for example) that's a little disappointing if not entirely unsurprising given how particular even some OG Hoyo fans have gotten in China in the past over things like wanting to add male characters to Honkai 3rd. Even if it's not a lot of people's preferred banner (I'm skipping over it for my own reasons) just because the game has one male centric banner in the second half of a particular patch after all the overwhelming all female banners it's had to date that it's suddenly becoming an otome game like has suddenly become a topic out there in a few places that I've seen.

Anyway it's getting weird out there again so I might just have to stick to this thread again for a while if I'm planning on reading or discussing anything Genshin related for a while.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Zenostein posted:

Also the stupidest thing about starting the game is actually that you have to click in the inner 80% or something. The desktop shortcut's on the lower left of my screen, and I have to move the mouse to successfully click to start. Dumb as hell, and it should obviously just let you press a drat key or something.

No idea about exiting, because lol who's going to use their logout button when there's alt-f4?

Not to mention that you have to do that click to have it load something so that you can then click to start the game. I absolutely love that trend.

Exiting is even worse, but like you I just alt-f4 out.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

valuum posted:

Not to mention that you have to do that click to have it load something so that you can then click to start the game. I absolutely love that trend.

Exiting is even worse, but like you I just alt-f4 out.

oh dang does that work??? I'm gonna start doing that to avoid the stupid after-menu

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I usually do an actual logout for paranoia's sake but there's no reason to wait ten+ seconds for the title screen to load so you can click a different exit button and then another button to confirm that button. :effort:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
if you alt+f4 in multi you hang around forever, so make sure you're in solo when you do it (unless it's your teapot or something)

Tree Reformat posted:

i sure so love how, in addition to all the other long requested improvements, hsr lets me change keyboard and controller on the fly but Genshin still can't

It's a good way to find out your didn't put your controller correctly on its charger when you load up Genshin and nothing works. :thumbsup:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Kale posted:

Kind of get the feeling after a week of the current banner that a lot of people even in Asia seem really upset that there's a banner featuring two male characters as it's headliners for what feels like the first time ever. Been kind of seeing a lot of gay panic type stuff out there in the global community (the response to this one new video on the Japanese youtube channel is really uncharacteristic of that region for example) that's a little disappointing if not entirely unsurprising given how particular even some OG Hoyo fans have gotten in China in the past over things like wanting to add male characters to Honkai 3rd. Even if it's not a lot of people's preferred banner (I'm skipping over it for my own reasons) just because the game has one male centric banner in the second half of a particular patch after all the overwhelming all female banners it's had to date that it's suddenly becoming an otome game like has suddenly become a topic out there in a few places that I've seen.

Anyway it's getting weird out there again so I might just have to stick to this thread again for a while if I'm planning on reading or discussing anything Genshin related for a while.

I've probably already said this before, but every time I hear about stuff like this, it just makes me glad for this thread

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I am a bit surprised by just how little interest there is in Baizhu, um, everywhere. This is the last launch design ever added to the game you's think it would at least get some nostalgia interest. His backstory is pretty cool too and he has his harbinger clone as well.

I was thinking recently about how when the game starts all you care about is your "main DPS" unit. Then you get a few and figure out that all you care about are support units. But maybe there's a third phase where your support roster is so thick that you become more interested in main DPS/onfield units again because they provide more gameplay variety than an upgrade to one of your off fielders.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Baizhu is functional but egad is he boring.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Stare-Out posted:

Baizhu is functional but egad is he boring.

Changsheng is a snarkbeast sometimes in his overworld barks, which is nice, but I don't run around much as him because he occasionally goes on a coughing jag when he sprints and it makes me feel guilty.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I mean, were people really that hyped about Baizhu before? Everyone knew he'd be playable but I feel like you saw more interest in YaoYao finally getting revealed.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Justin_Brett posted:

I mean, were people really that hyped about Baizhu before? Everyone knew he'd be playable but I feel like you saw more interest in YaoYao finally getting revealed.
Obviously they were not... I just thought his going back so far would have meant something to more people.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Kokomi 2.0, though I guess Barbara 2.0 in Yaoyao is a LOT better. Don't regret pulling for him, I like him way more than Yaoyao.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

No Wave posted:

Obviously they were not... I just thought his going back so far would have meant something to more people.

he was also a nonentity for most of that time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
yeah i like Baizhu, i rolled for him, but he'd probably have benefited from more story appearances beyond "occasionally shows up to offer a few quiet words of advice in Liyue storylines and then disappears"

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I had been anticipating him since 1.0 but yeah, they just completely disappointed me with designing his kit/budgeting his power. What little I've looked into hasn't shown me any use case that feels worth pulling him atm.

And I did insta-roll Kokomi from a design perspective (her character turned out fine) but it paid off more obviously and immediately due to having Ayaka.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I feel like they sat on Baizhu for too long. Like, my interest in him evaporated by the time I left Liyue, and that was a while before Sumeru premiered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

haypliss posted:

I had been anticipating him since 1.0 but yeah, they just completely disappointed me with designing his kit/budgeting his power. What little I've looked into hasn't shown me any use case that feels worth pulling him atm.

I saw a good video that shows him with Nahida and it’s pretty bonkers damage.