Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

No Wave posted:

When has a video game sequel ever been successful? They all famously fail, rejected by overly discerning gamers.

I heard Mega Man 2 did pretty well back in the day. A shame Capcom never followed up on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
All I know about Darkest Dungeon 2 is that I tried the demo and the whole driving-the-carriage thing felt lame and pointless in comparison to the dungeon-wandering stuff in the first game. Maybe it opens up later on in the game, but it absolutely wasn't for me.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The 7th Guest posted:

is there an example of a sequel that was fantastic but people hated it because it wasn't the first game and it took a really long time to make?

because like, psychonauts 2 took forever to happen and get made and it was very highly received by critics and fans

e: arkham city is another sequel following up a beloved game that was highly regarded even though i dont like it

aren't the fallout series games like this? Idk about the majority but there is at least a contingent of diehard fallout 2 fans who hated 3, etc.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'd also be pissed if loving Bethesda was in charge of developing something I liked.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.

No Wave posted:

If you think about it for three seconds you might understand why.

Are you saying I'm too stupid to figure this out myself or that something you know is so wide spread knowledge that I'm too dumb understand a basic fact?

Either way why the hostility?

Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 played the same while Fallout Tactics played differently . I think that was a good way to denote changes in a game series and I would have worked with Darkest Dungeon 2.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A game will sell much better if you give it a 2 at the end instead of a spin-off subtitle.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

E. Revenant posted:

Are you saying I'm too stupid to figure this out myself or that something you know is so wide spread knowledge that I'm too dumb understand a basic fact?

Either way why the hostility?

Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 played the same while Fallout Tactics played differently . I think that was a good way to denote changes in a game series and I would have worked with Darkest Dungeon 2.

Darkest Dungeon:

Darkest Dungeon 2:

the carriage is just a different animation of walking along a corridor and occasionally choosing a path.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
You can't have two darkest dungeons, Seb. You just fugking can't. One of them has to be darker

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Propaganda Hour posted:

You can't have two darkest dungeons, Seb. You just fugking can't. One of them has to be darker

gently caress. gently caress.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

make it blink.

Jack Trades posted:

A game will sell much better if you give it a 2 at the end instead of a spin-off subtitle.

Is that a video games only thing? I can think of several movie series that are allergic to numbering their movies that still do well.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

make it blink.

sebmojo posted:

the carriage is just a different animation of walking along a corridor and occasionally choosing a path.

Dude, that very post had an example to two overhead view turn based combat games that diverged on what else you did outside of combat. It's still a relevant question even if the same combat system was used if the other elements have been changed.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

E. Revenant posted:

Is that a video games only thing? I can think of several movie series that are allergic to numbering their movies that still do well.

Games do that too. It depends where in the series you are.

Look at Witcher 2 and Witcher 3 box art for example.
Witcher 2 has a pronounced 2 because you want to say "here's a game that was good enough for a sequel."
Meanwhile Witcher 3 is almost hiding it's 3 to not scare away the people that haven't played previous games.

I don't work in marketing though. It's just speculation based on a pattern I noticed.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

the carriage controls and map design/camera work suck in DD2, but what I found much worse is the general UI with all the weird overlay menus that are not clearly distinct and you can change windows in the background, can't close the open active window with escape and so on. For a game that is basically played through UI this is terrible design cluttered and completely against the flow of the game. And it appears to have no controller support either.

I'm currently playing Two Point University on the steam deck and it is amazing how obvious much work was put into making a classic mousegame work great with a controller.

Jack Trades posted:

Games do that too. It depends where in the series you are.

Look at Witcher 2 and Witcher 3 box art for example.
Witcher 2 has a pronounced 2 because you want to say "here's a game that was good enough for a sequel."
Meanwhile Witcher 3 is almost hiding it's 3 to not scare away the people that haven't played previous games.

I don't work in marketing though. It's just speculation based on a pattern I noticed.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Monster Hunter has this figured out, it's simple - you name your sequels Dos, Tri, 4, and World

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

fez_machine posted:

Umineko wasn't well liked in Japan and the author basically in game says thank you bootleg english translators for making this worthwhile
First I've heard of it, not that I doubt it's less popular than Higurashi. The anime bombed, but the anime adaptation was pretty poor. Do you have a link?

sebmojo posted:

Darkest Dungeon:

Darkest Dungeon 2:

Apropos of nothing, I think the first game looks better (based on these screenshots). It's stylized and readable while grim and grungy; that screenshot from the sequel is too dim to see, and I'm not sure what I'm looking at with the bad guys.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There's possibly an expectation that players are using higher resolutions nowadays, the bottom screenie also probably looks much better in motion as they're proper 3d models.

That being said this is all bloody extrapolation as I can't get DD2 to work through proton! arghh

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

aren't the fallout series games like this? Idk about the majority but there is at least a contingent of diehard fallout 2 fans who hated 3, etc.

the thing about the fallout franchise is it's been like this for every single game in the series

There was a contingent of Fallout fans who absolutely hated how Fallout 2 RUINED THE FRANCHISE with a lighter tone and less survivalism and more referential humor, and then Fallout 3 RUINED THE FRANCHISE by making it first-person and dumbing down the combat so non-grognards could play it, and then Fallout New Vegas RUINED THE FRANCHISE by rehashing 3's assets and gameplay instead of going back to the old ways, and then Fallout 4 RUINED THE FRANCHISE by focusing on action and building and a voiced PC, and then Fallout 76 RUINED THE FRANCHISE by being busted as poo poo and a product no one really wanted which was actually pretty fair.

Self-loathing is an integral part of the Fallout fanbase experience.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The only good Fallout game is the one you played first.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Bad Seafood posted:

Apropos of nothing, I think the first game looks better (based on these screenshots). It's stylized and readable while grim and grungy; that screenshot from the sequel is too dim to see, and I'm not sure what I'm looking at with the bad guys.

it's not a good screenshot obviously, the games combat screen is fine and the 3D effects are imo very good.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah DD2 really needs to be seen in motion, it is very pretty

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

First I've heard of it, not that I doubt it's less popular than Higurashi. The anime bombed, but the anime adaptation was pretty poor. Do you have a link?

DD1 is much better looking, for sure. No idea what they were thinking with DD2's direction, in gameplay and in graphics.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

I thought I read it one of the interviews he's done. I know there's effusive praise (if slightly obfuscated) for foreign reception/translation along the lines of this work wasn't appreciated so much before it was translated in the last episode of Umineko.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There's a lot wrong about DD2 but the graphics aren't it.
The new 3D art is loving gorgeous, even more so in motion.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Orv posted:

Darkest Dungeon 2 :v:

More realistically I meant the fact that the video game hype train often vastly outpaces the actual game, the sequel part I don’t recall coming into play very much. That’s more of a suspicion about the potential reaction to Silksong if they make any major changes from the first game or it isn’t just so, just because gamers will be gamers and people are ravenous for Silksong in particular.

Though to be clear I have zero issues with being wrong here, happy to be.

i feel like the hype trains get out of control on purpose. is there one example of the above where the hype backlash wasn’t a result of exaggerations and/or lies??

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The first darkest dungeon was the darkest when that game came out, but since then, another dungeon has come into existence that is even darker.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

sebmojo posted:

Darkest Dungeon:

Darkest Dungeon 2:

Just looking at the screenshots I think 2 has eclipsed 1 as the true darkest dungeon.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Darkest Dungeon more like Surprisingly Well Lit Dungeon

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 10, 2023

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Looking forward to the "Marginally Darker Dungeon: Priced Relative to Darkness" expansion DLC.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Please rename the first game to Darkish Dungeon.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
They could have done worse, they could have called it Darkest Dungeons

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Obscurest Oubliette

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
To make it period accurate, it should have been Darkeft Dungeon.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah those screenshots are not good comparisons, Darkest Dungeon II looks amazing in motion

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

kazil posted:

Obscurest Oubliette

I'm incapable of reading this in anything other than Strong Bad's voice

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Rushes in and hunches over panting.
Has anyone said Dankest Dungeon yet?

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

Are there any space based games like Mount and Blade, MechWarrior 5 or Battle Brothers where you control a single ship but can recruit other ships to fly with you?

Star Valor is a really solid Escape Velocity-like that I really enjoyed. You can fly solo if you want to, but later on in the game you can hire mercs or outfit a fleet of your own with crew you rescued from derelict ships etc, and outfit with their own weapons systems. Although I think I played it in early access before it was quite finished, I had a really great time with it all the way through

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Foul Fowl posted:

i feel like the hype trains get out of control on purpose. is there one example of the above where the hype backlash wasn’t a result of exaggerations and/or lies??

I'm not sure where you get lies from the previous examples unless you mean the devs saying "it's good" and fans vehemently disagreeing.

There's definitely examples of what you're saying, usually because the dev process was totally hosed for one reason or another. Oblivion is a good example. Although it wasn't so much lies as they didn't know what they were doing and marketed features before they were fully baked. The development process was derailed by the technical limitations of the XBOX for which it was supposed to be a prestige launch title.

E:Like Below Zero was disappointing not because stuff was left out, the world and pacing just didn't live up to the previous entry.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 10, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Here’s my analysis of this game I heard of 5 seconds ago based on the first blurry screenshot I saw of it

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm not sure where you get lies from the previous examples unless you mean the devs saying "it's good" and fans vehemently disagreeing.

There's definitely examples of what you're saying, usually because the dev process was totally hosed for one reason or another. Oblivion is a good example. Although it wasn't so much lies as they didn't know what they were doing and marketed features before they were fully baked. The development process was derailed by the technical limitations of the XBOX for which it was supposed to be a prestige launch title.

E:Like Below Zero was disappointing not because stuff was left out, the world and pacing just didn't live up to the previous entry.

i meant cases were there is a broad and widespread backlash against a sequel (or any game really) due to hype, not legitimate criticisms of the game, or where there's a few freaks on reddit/twitter/steam reviews causing a ruckus because they RUINED the game by CHANGING IT. i didn't read the posts with the examples and jumped to conclusions. lol.

i would include marketing game features that aren't in the game under 'exaggerations and/or lies' (bethesda tends to be guilty of this for all their games) but maybe that's just me. i got burned by black & white 2 and fable 1 & 2 by the original bullshitter peter molyneux way back when so i learned my lesson early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Like I don't doubt DD2 pissed off people who wanted DD1+1, but the game is at 78% positive reviews instead of dead game territory.

I mentioned this before, but I much prefer DD2's structure over DD1's. The FTLlite format works much better for me than the 60 hour grindfest that DD1 was.