Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got all the endings and it was not worth it lol especially since they make you play through the last stage four times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I feel like 95% of user reviews are just technical issues, hilarious joke reviews or some political thing. The rest are mostly variants of "I like it. 5 stars"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Infinitum posted:

What was this?

:bustem:

Lol they deleted it? It was a hokey video of I guess an ign editor explaining to another ign editor why they give out so many 7 out of 10s, the answer was “we purposefully only review games the general public knows about, which are always at least Good (7/10)”

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Next Up: I'm hyped about playing Age of Wonders 4!

I started this yesterday and it seems really good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

REQUEST: recommendations for switch games. Must be: slow (easy to pause and pick back up); enjoyable with the sound turned off; good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Andrast posted:

I started this yesterday and it seems really good

I'm living the dream of conquering the world via magic space elf babes.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jay Rust posted:

REQUEST: recommendations for switch games. Must be: slow (easy to pause and pick back up); enjoyable with the sound turned off; good

What kind of game? Because this could cover Animal Crossing or Darkest Dungeon.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

HopperUK posted:

What kind of game? Because this could cover Animal Crossing or Darkest Dungeon.

Any!!! As long as it's at least a 7/10 (good)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SMTV. The only good switch exclusive

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Lol they totally deleted that 7/10 video

For posterity, this was the best bit

https://twitter.com/GmanLives/status/1656093020792688641?t=GQVzvxMlp4ccmw1Okkwh_w&s=19

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Those grapes were 6/10 anyway!

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
ign surely only still exists to validate people's feelings about broadly popular mainstream games they would have bought anyway (modern warfare 5 really makes you feel like a modern warfarer, 8.9/10) than informing anyone of anything.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Jay Rust posted:

Grindstone

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Foul Fowl posted:

ign surely only still exists to validate people's feelings about broadly popular mainstream games they would have bought anyway (modern warfare 5 really makes you feel like a modern warfarer, 8.9/10) than informing anyone of anything.

They exist for the same reason Fandom exists, to make search results completely unusable through raw SEO optimisation. Also to talk on podcasts about how many people watched their reupload of a trailer.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

pokemon r/b/g art ftw.

pokemon ruth bader ginsberg art

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I'm living the dream of conquering the world via magic space elf babes.

I'm playing as short religious frog dudes

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/hollywoodhandle/status/1656019477539037194?s=46&t=neIYV8aks7bdRtgfwAJwAQ

I already miss when games cost $70!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Fire Emblem Engage
Darkest Dungeon
Tactics Ogre Reborn
Dragon Quest XI S (you're really not missing much without music here, though the voice acting is pretty good)

I'd also recommend Live A Live, Triangle Strategy, and Octopath Traveler II because they're all incredible but playing any of those with no sound is tragic so I'd recommend those more for at-home gaming.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is that the real logo

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

njsykora posted:

They exist for the same reason Fandom exists, to make search results completely unusable through raw SEO optimisation. Also to talk on podcasts about how many people watched their reupload of a trailer.

ah, they've become a content mine. was IGN ever good or were we just starved for game reviewers and/or young and bright-eyed?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

Is that the real logo

No and that's not the actual budget either. Randos on Twitter like to make poo poo up.

mutata fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 10, 2023

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's better, a "hidden gem" or a "forgotten treasure"?

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

exquisite tea posted:

Today I finished Valkyrie Elysium! It was totally okay. There are a few different endings but I don't think I'll bother getting the "true" one. Kind of the definition of a 7/10 experience. Fun combat, kind of mindless, don't think too hard about the story.

So far in 2023 I have completed:

Citizen Sleeper
Vampire Survivors
Batora: Lost Haven
Vengeful Guardian: Moonrider
Hi-Fi Rush
Wanted: Dead
Chop Goblins
Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores (DLC)
Valkyrie Elysium

Next Up: I'm hyped about playing Age of Wonders 4!

I had a feeling Valkyrie Elysium was going to end up like that: was a little interested in checking it out but passed since it didn't seem like it was going to be particularly memorable (and I still need to play Odin Sphere which I feel is the superior Valkyrie game). Thanks for your impressions on it!

What were your feelings on Wanted: Dead? I was quite interested as I like checking out these strange janky games that have a lot of hidden charm that can be appreciated if you play them the right way, but I was recently burnt on attempting Gungrave G.O.R.E. which was another charming jankfest that the hipsters swore would be cool but I felt like it crossed the line and was too offensively jank. I'm worried it's a game where the story is interesting but the gameplay isn't, and I dunno if I'd want to suffer through bad gameplay just for the story bits.

In a similar way I'd also like impressions on Batora: that felt like a game where it's probably just a 7/10 and merely ok, but I do have a fancy for good isometric combat if it's got it. Also curious whether Chop Goblins is actually cool and fun or if it's just a meme-y game without enough meat on its bones: it's got the pedigree so I think it's good but I dunno whether it's got a cool mechanic in it beyond just shootin' and stabbin'.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 10, 2023

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Grand Theft Auto VI will employ 11 Billion people in its creation.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Wanted Dead has bad voice acting, terrible audio mixing, some technical issues and a really punishing checkpoint system which forces you to get really good at the functioning but mediocre combat system.

The devs have said they are planning to update the game later (hinting August) on their discord channel.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Gaius Marius posted:

SMTV. The only good switch exclusive

That game is a solid 10 (frames per second)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

njsykora posted:

IGN Guides pages actually foreground useful information about the game as opposed to burying it under 35 ads at least

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FutureCop posted:

What were your feelings on Wanted: Dead? I was quite interested as I like checking out these strange janky games that have a lot of hidden charm that can be appreciated if you play them the right way, but I was recently burnt on attempting Gungrave G.O.R.E. which was another charming jankfest that the hipsters swore would be cool but I felt like it crossed the line and was too offensively jank. I'm worried it's a game where the story is interesting but the gameplay isn't, and I dunno if I'd want to suffer through bad gameplay just for the story bits.

In a similar way I'd also like impressions on Batora: that felt like a game where it's probably just a 7/10 and merely ok, but I do have a fancy for good isometric combat if it's got it. Also curious whether Chop Goblins is actually cool and fun or if it's just a meme-y game without enough meat on its bones: it's got the pedigree so I think it's good but I dunno whether it's got a cool mechanic in it beyond just shootin' and stabbin'.

Wanted: Dead - This game is undeniably bad. Performance is horrible, looks like a PS3 game, short campaign, obvious where they cut corners everywhere. But it has charm and some full-throated absurd moments. Not good, but memorable.
Batora: Lost Haven - All right enough to play over a couple afternoons but not especially impactful in either the gameplay or narrative. If I didn't have it listed here I probably would have even forgotten I played it this year.
Chop Goblins - Great music, funny, just basically a perfect way to waste 60 minutes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh dear GOD no

I told you bro

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Slay the Spire

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Thank you fellow gamers! Now to destroy you for not knowing my gaming history better

Harrow posted:

Fire Emblem Engage
Darkest Dungeon
Tactics Ogre Reborn
Dragon Quest XI S (you're really not missing much without music here, though the voice acting is pretty good)

I'd also recommend Live A Live, Triangle Strategy, and Octopath Traveler II because they're all incredible but playing any of those with no sound is tragic so I'd recommend those more for at-home gaming.

FE:Engage: maybe
Darkest Dungeon: played a lot on pc
TO:Reborn: played psp version, not great
DQ11: eh
L-A-L: bounced off (twice)
3angleS: bounced off
8pathT2: bounced off 8pathT1 and 3angleS

Mode 7 posted:

Slay the Spire

already owned, also burnt out

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Etrian Odyssey is chill but that’s not out for a month

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Thank you fellow gamers! Now to destroy you for not knowing my gaming history better

Very well.
My next suggestion is the entire Picross S series.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

since we were talking about review scores, apparently Eurogamer is going back to scoring games with a 5 star system starting with TOTK

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

FE:Engage: maybe
Darkest Dungeon: played a lot on pc
TO:Reborn: played psp version, not great
DQ11: eh
L-A-L: bounced off (twice)
3angleS: bounced off
8pathT2: bounced off 8pathT1 and 3angleS

For the record I also bounced off Octopath 1 (got bored after like 10 hours all three times I tried to play it, maybe close to the most disappointed I've ever been in a game) and loved Octopath 2, but if you also bounced off Live A Live then eh perhaps not.

TO Reborn is very different from the PSP version (to the point that PSP version fans really don't like it) though that depends on what you didn't like about it.

hatty posted:

Etrian Odyssey is chill but that’s not out for a month

Yeah Etrian Odyssey would be pretty perfect for that kind of portable gaming when it comes out.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 10, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am looking forward to all of the totally normal and rational responses to reviews over Tears of the Kingdom.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1JhKnaLxN0

Oh this is a cute looking adventure game

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Tbf I think it's rather easy to bounce of live a live. I didn't really get into it til the very end

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Just found out Kirby's dodge has a slow down if you dodge an enemies attack within a few frames and I'm coming to the realization that Forgotten Lands is a secret character action game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My gamer coworker recommended chained echoes, tbh i thought that was a kingdom hearts game but no it turns out it's a cool-looking indie rpg