Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SirSamVimes posted:

This is incredibly incorrect.

Naw, it's true. A lot of the screens/rooms could be dropped off and you still have the same game. It's bloated. Less is more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
I did City of Tears last, and after I beat the Watcher Knights I started to mentally check out. The Hive, the White Palace, and the Queen's Garden felt like a slog, which sucks because I think they were genuinely good content, but at that point you've traversed the entire world and the sense of discovery starts to fade.

I don't think they should have been cut, but generally speaking I'd rather have two games that left me wanting more than one that I got bored of. I love banana cream pie, but I wouldn't want to eat a whole one.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hollow knight is the worst video game ever created

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Elden Ring is worse.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hollow Knight should’ve been longer and Deepnest should’ve had a giant spider boss

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There was going to be an entire level in the lake below the abyss but ungrateful fans didn't donate enough to the Kickstarter

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

worm girl posted:

I'm not mad at TC or anything, game dev is hard and we've all seen what happens when it's rushed, but I am curious about the cause of the delay. It seemed like they had a pretty solid product in that demo footage from way back, and it's not like they're working in a new engine or something.

The only thing I can guess is that the game is way bigger than Hollow Knight, but I hope that's not the case. I love HK but I felt like it was just a little bit longer than it should have been.

they already said it's going to be a fair bit bigger than the first game

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Certainly with the Godmaster stuff, imo there's too much, but I just think boss refights are a little whatever. Boss fights are fun in the context of where they are in the story and the tools you have at the time; fighting them at the end in a boss rush isn't for me. Your Uncle Dracula, just don't play it! But there's content and story locked behind it and my little brain hates being denied it even if I can just see it on line.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

lih posted:

they already said it's going to be a fair bit bigger than the first game

I will NEVER come to this thread and admit that I was wrong and that it's actually great that Silksong is so big.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

sounds like you didn't git gud

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Everyone see the news?

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

tithin posted:

Everyone see the news?

is this real

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Here is the news: there is no news

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

worm girl posted:

I did City of Tears last, and after I beat the Watcher Knights I started to mentally check out. The Hive, the White Palace, and the Queen's Garden felt like a slog, which sucks because I think they were genuinely good content, but at that point you've traversed the entire world and the sense of discovery starts to fade.

I don't think they should have been cut, but generally speaking I'd rather have two games that left me wanting more than one that I got bored of. I love banana cream pie, but I wouldn't want to eat a whole one.

One of the things I love about the game is the way every time I thought I had found all the zones, there was another big one. I thought I had surely explored basically everything when I first found the Queen's Garden, and things like that and the White Palace were wonderful surprises.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I think hollow knight could've been 2 or even 3 times as big

my evidence? all the people still clamoring for more many years later

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

worm girl posted:

I'm not mad at TC or anything

well i am!!!!

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Most games should be smaller since they wear out the amount of fun you can get from them long before you finish. Hollow Knight however is an endless font of joy, and cracking open a wall to find another new area is a delight every time.

That said, they can drop the boss rush stuff. Give me more locations!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s cancelled

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

I think hollow knight could've been 2 or even 3 times as big

my evidence? all the people still clamoring for more many years later

I liked Hollow Knight quite a lot but I've never got through a replay because there's so much bloated low-quality traversal that makes up scale for the sake of scale that I always end up losing interest. I'm sure the first playthrough of Silksong will be enthralling but I expect it will have a similar issue, someone should really tell the devs brevity is the soul of wit or something

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

A lot of critics of hollow knight who haven’t made a game themselves. Telling

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

there's only one good bit in hollow knight and it's where the tall shop bug says something, can't remember what

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

there's only one good bit in hollow knight and it's where the tall shop bug says something, can't remember what

aye carumba i think

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Someone leak it so we can play it on switch emulators.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I do believe in Cherry, I do, I do.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Thank God it's not coming out in the next couple months. I'm gonna be busy with Zelda.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

hatty posted:

Deepnest should’ve had a giant spider boss

Ways to immediately make Nat quit and uninstall the game #369.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
If you want a huge rear end metroidvania game, Afterimage just released. Reviews aren’t top notch, so don’t expect it to be as good as Hollow Knight

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012

No Dignity posted:

I liked Hollow Knight quite a lot but I've never got through a replay because there's so much bloated low-quality traversal that makes up scale for the sake of scale that I always end up losing interest. I'm sure the first playthrough of Silksong will be enthralling but I expect it will have a similar issue, someone should really tell the devs brevity is the soul of wit or something

I actually like the scale for the sake of scale. I think it makes the world feel alive, instead of being just a world created for gameplay purposes. Hollow knight is among the most immersive games I've played.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bug Squash posted:

Most games should be smaller since they wear out the amount of fun you can get from them long before you finish. Hollow Knight however is an endless font of joy, and cracking open a wall to find another new area is a delight every time.

That said, they can drop the boss rush stuff. Give me more locations!

I'm in this boat too. Hollow Knight is a huge mystery box, and the Knight is sort of an archeologist (not one that Daniel Jackson would appreciate) tearing through all these hidden, dead places. Mystery boxes aren't everyone's cup of tea, and I get that! But Hollow Knight embraces creating that feeling of finding cool and weird poo poo, and I like finding cool and weird poo poo.

Plus, if someone just wants to beat the game, there's a lot of areas you never even have to visit. But who wouldn't want to visit the haunting and incredibly sad home of the stag beetle?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ymgve posted:

If you want a huge rear end metroidvania game, Afterimage just released. Reviews aren’t top notch, so don’t expect it to be as good as Hollow Knight

huge, rear end

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
There's something to be said for considered use of "empty" content in games to space things out, whether it's for pacing or just because it feels more organic sometimes for there to be space. It's great when games are lean and mean but sometimes this can backfire on the suspension of disbelief and you can kind of feel the artifice of the thing, the sense of everything being game designed rather than being the thing it's pretending to be.

As long as the vibes hold out and it's not actively monotonous or repetitive this kind of thing is fine with me. It's better this than having a map full of five hundred icons to methodically check off one at a time.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I might be the only one here who's relieved that it's not coming out in June. I'm expecting my first kid end of May/beginning of June and was getting prepared to be very sad that Silksong was finally out but I couldn't play it.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Ideal video game time is after they start smiling at you but before they stop taking naps every two hours. I used to eat sandwiches and play with my kid strapped to my chest dead asleep.

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping
The only location in Hollow Knight that felt unnecessary to me was that bee hive zone. Just felt very tacked on.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

turtleface posted:

The only location in Hollow Knight that felt unnecessary to me was that bee hive zone. Just felt very tacked on.

I can't beelief it is not dlc

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

VictualSquid posted:

I can't beelief it is not dlc

It always felt like a DLC zone with a cool charm at the end for a reward. Maybee at some point it was going to bee.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
nearly every decent metroidvania ends up feeling too short so hollow knight being a fair bit longer than most was very welcome.

i don't think silksong really needs to be 100 hours long or anything but i think there's plenty of room for it to be longer than the first without coming close to overstaying its welcome

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Most people aren’t completists so having a big world full of nooks and crannies just makes it feel alive in a way that separates Hollow Knight from almost every other game. The first HK really only feels long if you’re trying to 100% and even then I think most people are greedy little pigs who want more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

turtleface posted:

it literally was tacked on, Kingdom's Edge has a few places in it which are just remnants of cut content. i think one of the updates (Lifeblood?) added some stuff to it like unique props and a boss to make it more interesting