Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just Andi Now posted:

It happened in two Zelda games released in the 90s. A Link to the Past's backstory mentions a guy named Ganondorf who wished on the Triforce and became Ganon the pig villain, then Ocarina of Time was about that guy named Ganondorf who wished on the Triforce and became Ganon the pig villain.

It's me... I'm the guy who played LttP a few times and somehow missed this, and until now thought Ganondorf was made up for OoT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
From what I understand, when you fuse a weapon with something it'll use the durability of the fused item first, which'll then break and you can fuse something else. So you can keep a specific weapon around forever if you keep fusing stuff to it.

(I learned this from the gameplay previews so it's not spoilers)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

free hubcaps posted:

Does this game seriously still have weapon durability?

Like I'm reading this dumb article about how tears of the kingdom 'fixed' the durability problem from botw...

The fusion system sounds cool but I don't see how this fixes the durability issue in any way? Botw had a lot of different stuff you could switch too as well and I don't think that's why people hated the durability system.

My issue with durability was half the weapons I carried around or more were not for combat but for utility. An axe for trees, a sledge hammer for launching rocks or mining gems, a fire sword for climbing around in cold places without having to use two layers of warm clothes, an ice sword for climbing around hot places, etc. A couple heavy hitters for combat.

I didn't want to have to go find a new sledgehammer after launching a few rocks.

But with the new system that isn't an issue, I can just attach a rock to a stick at any time for the same effect, the stuff is everywhere. I have a bunch of monster horns in my inventory, I can make a decent sword whenever I want.

Durability is annoying when you have to go out of your way to collect the weapons you need, but now you can easily make them.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's me... I'm the guy who played LttP a few times and somehow missed this, and until now thought Ganondorf was made up for OoT.
It's pretty easy to do that, especially if you didn't have the instruction manual.

Not enough people referring to him as Mandrag Ganon, imo.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Hogama posted:

Not enough people referring to him as Mandrag Ganon, imo.

Great, now the game’s banned in Florida

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

If you haven’t made peace with durability in 2023 then just don’t play it, it’s not very difficult. It’s way past time to kick that rotting horse.

If durability didnt exist I couldnt get that sweet dopamine hit from chucking a sword into an enemies face and watching it shatter.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

I got an email saying my gamestop order is shipped but no tracking number. :argh:

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah, master mode in BotW didn’t impress me. Giving monsters more health feels like tedium rather than a challenge.

i liked the new floating high level weapon stuff, made things better rather than dealing with bullet sponges. it was more like, get this high level weapon first and then beat the poo poo out of the camp in record time.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

If you haven’t made peace with durability in 2023 then just don’t play it, it’s not very difficult. It’s way past time to kick that rotting horse.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

RatHat posted:

From what I understand, when you fuse a weapon with something it'll use the durability of the fused item first, which'll then break and you can fuse something else. So you can keep a specific weapon around forever if you keep fusing stuff to it.

(I learned this from the gameplay previews so it's not spoilers)

I just watched Skill Up's gameplay preview, and he says that isn't true - once you fuse an item to something, that's it, you can only fuse one item to something, it then becomes a fused item for the life of its durability, and when it breaks, it breaks. The durability of the fused item is usually massively increased depending on what it is, however.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

free hubcaps posted:

Does this game seriously still have weapon durability?

Like I'm reading this dumb article about how tears of the kingdom 'fixed' the durability problem from botw...

The fusion system sounds cool but I don't see how this fixes the durability issue in any way?

Based on the ten minute gameplay preview, fusing not only repairs items to full, but combines their durability, too.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Autisanal Cheese posted:

I just watched Skill Up's gameplay preview, and he says that isn't true - once you fuse an item to something, that's it, you can only fuse one item to something, it then becomes a fused item for the life of its durability, and when it breaks, it breaks. The durability of the fused item is usually massively increased depending on what it is, however.

Ah, my mistake then. Well fusing would still at least double the durability of a weapon

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
durability is good, actually.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

durability is good, actually.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I like my friend Zelda.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I want to play game

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Can't believe I'll be playing this tomorrow night

https://youtu.be/3fr1Z07AV00

This was four years ago lol

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I thought you could de-fuse items. I was planning on using my first tree branch forever, fusing a lynel skull to it to pummel G.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I actually wondered if there would be an item that’s just an unbreakable stick. Infinite durability, almost no damage by itself. Doesn’t look like it though.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Review embargo lifts tomorrow at 8AM EST.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
We getting reviews today?

Edit^^^^ Sniped!

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
Can't decide whether to start over on Switch for TV playing or keep with the emulator for 4k 30fps.......

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica

superjew posted:

I thought you could de-fuse items. I was planning on using my first tree branch forever, fusing a lynel skull to it to pummel G.

you can but it destroys the fused item

(edit and as far as I can tell fusing another item after that does not heal durability so it's of very limited use, really)

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Autisanal Cheese posted:

You can defuse items through the inventory menu but it permanently deletes the fused item. There is an NPC you can pay 20 rupees to defuse if you gently caress up and attach a lionel horn to a tree branch or something. The durability of the base weapon persists though so you can't cheese it for infinite weapons. I'm not sure if paying the guy resets the durability of the attached item, or if the attached item even has its own durability, i've never used it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Costco Meatballs posted:

Can't decide whether to start over on Switch for TV playing or keep with the emulator for 4k 30fps.......

I wanna see how this runs on my Switch, but I've been kind of living under the assumption that I'd be buying this from nintendo and then playing it on a PC anyway. Does anything carry over from a BOTW save?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Shoehead posted:

I wanna see how this runs on my Switch, but I've been kind of living under the assumption that I'd be buying this from nintendo and then playing it on a PC anyway. Does anything carry over from a BOTW save?

Your horses and apparently Tarrey Town progress.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

CJ posted:

poo poo, I played BoTW on Wii and have no idea how to transfer that poo poo over to my Switch lol

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

mcmagic posted:

poo poo, I played BoTW on Wii and have no idea how to transfer that poo poo over to my Switch lol

You can get the horses again and afaik Tarrey Town assumes you did it if you don't load a save. There may be some NPCs missing that i don't remember because it was 6 years ago but the main ones are there for me. I don't know what happens if you load a save that didn't do it, just someone in this thread said the progress carried over.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

CJ posted:

I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that having a 3-month-old is going to prevent me from finishing my completion run. Is this a "you can continue the quest line in TotK" or a "your TotK experience will be permanently affected by your BotW progress" situation? I should like my answer behind a spoiler tag, thanks.

My tiktok algorithm is 80% TotK jokes and thankfully spoiler free, except for a video clip of one of the media play tests last month and I'm so excited that trying desperately to get back on your tumbling glider in free fall is going to be my new trying desperately to stop rolling down a mountainside.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Hey, I was the one who mentioned the save bonuses stuff itt, and I'd like to apologize and clarify it's stuff I read about while trying to minimize spoilers, not cause confusion. What I can confirm is that horses transfer and apparebtly if you did Champion's Ballad you get the photo if you put it up since I've seen people mention it could not be there. But the rest of the house and Tarrey Town are just what I heard.

As I said, sorry if it was misinformation.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 10, 2023

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

superjew posted:

I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that having a 3-month-old is going to prevent me from finishing my completion run. Is this a "you can continue the quest line in TotK" or a "your TotK experience will be permanently affected by your BotW progress" situation? I should like my answer behind a spoiler tag, thanks.

My tiktok algorithm is 80% TotK jokes and thankfully spoiler free, except for a video clip of one of the media play tests last month and I'm so excited that trying desperately to get back on your tumbling glider in free fall is going to be my new trying desperately to stop rolling down a mountainside.

From a fresh save, Hudson and his wife are there and gives quests, the goron kid is there, the bird guy is there as the store owner i think. The town seems fully built but it was 6 years ago so i might be misremembering. I don't know what happens if you import a save that didn't do it. I would be very surprised if it handicapped you in some way because there are important vendors and several full quest lines that rely on those NPCs being there.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Spoilers go in the spoiler thread!!!

Edit:

superjew posted:

You can de-fuse stuff out in the world, like if you fuse two tree trunks together you can de-fuse them. But not weapons/shields, apparently.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

Thank you for clarifying! I'm obsessing over this too much and terrified of seeing something big in the spoiler thread. I blew all my gems on rupees that went to great fairy fountains and I don't even have the house yet.

I know someone who JUST got off the plateau on their first playthrough and is going to just...not play TotK or talk about it until they beat BotW. I am shocked and impressed.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Mostly shocked he never played botw before, but yeah, I’d finish that game before starting the next one too. The other way around seems like a worse option.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It kinda seems to me like BoTW and ToTK are pretty much built on the same technology and that playing them out of order wouldn't really be that big of a deal?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I think it would be a mistake to play them back to back. With a few years gap the map being reused isn't as big of an issue because you forget a lot of the details. I can't imagine it would be very fun to spend dozens of hours scouring the map then to jump back in and do it again.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

CJ posted:

I think it would be a mistake to play them back to back. With a few years gap the map being reused isn't as big of an issue because you forget a lot of the details. I can't imagine it would be very fun to spend dozens of hours scouring the map then to jump back in and do it again.

I think I would just get mixed up as I was playing. Hey, didn’t I reveal that part of the map already? Wait no that was in the last game.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It's been a while is this the Zelda with Kingpin init?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

mcmagic posted:

It kinda seems to me like BoTW and ToTK are pretty much built on the same technology and that playing them out of order wouldn't really be that big of a deal?

It seems like TotK has some quality of life improvements that could potentially hinder playing BoTW or at least make it frustrating to start.

I doubt it’s anything that is a deal breaker but the only reason I would think of playing TotK first would be lack of patience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I can see the shrines and divine beasts being different and requiring different enough tools that they'd be entertaining.

Also I haven't seen spoilers but Guardians are loving cool and I love the power curve of them being absolute monsters that usually one shot you, to you hunting them down and being like bring it on motherfuckers.

Not sure if totk will have a similar thing.