Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Who's that? The person who did the monster designs? Cuz those owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

deoju posted:

Who's that? The person who did the monster designs? Cuz those owned.

J. Michael Straczynski
He wrote a few episodes

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Those episodes are some of the strongest in the run and they still hold up

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

JMS has a knack for writing really, really good and compelling (and weird) RGB episodes.

Ragnarok and Roll is maybe not the best RGB episode, but it's the one that goes the hardest, holy gently caress.

Edit: oh man, he wrote The Grundel, too. Yeah, JMS is top-tier.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 10, 2023

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I was gonna say that a GB TV show wouldn't be that scary because the Ghostbusters wouldn't really be in much danger (and they always seemed a bit nonplussed about all the freaky poo poo going on), but I bet if you got the Ash vs Evil Dead team on it you'd have something truly special.

gently caress I want this now! It's so obvious!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Make it a Chicago franchise of GB, all new cast, anyone can go at any time. Get Ernie to make the occasional cameo or phone call, and it’s perfect.

He’s currently appearing in the new Quantum Leap, and somehow I thought he was just in his 60s. Man is 77. :stare:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

He’s currently appearing in the new Quantum Leap, and somehow I thought he was just in his 60s. Man is 77. :stare:

Black don't crack.

Also, unlike his co-stars, he's lived a pretty clean life. Doesn't do drugs, doesn't drink.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Timby posted:

Black don't crack.

Also, unlike his co-stars, he's lived a pretty clean life. Doesn't do drugs, doesn't drink.

He does go to Horny Sandals

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There is also his son, Ernie Hudson Jr, who is 59, and looks about 30

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Wow.

Edit: holy gently caress, I JUST NOW learned that he played Hamid Khan in Oz. The whole reason I got into Oz was from seeing his dad as Leo Glynn, the warden, while I was flipping through the channels one night. Turns out, I had caught like the 3rd or 4th episode as it was first airing, and I watched that show day and date until the end. Had no idea his son was in it too. Nice.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 10, 2023

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Leslie Jones was 49 when Ghostbusters 2016 came out. I'd have guessed she was 15-20 years younger than that.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Google search says that picture is from 2000...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Google search says that picture is from 2000...

Oh my bad, here’s one from this year:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

:mad:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

loving :lol:

:golfclap:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dawgstar posted:

Worst thing about Extreme was their animation budget was seemingly the change in the couch cushions. It carried on the fine tradition of also being a horror primer, with Clive Barker and the great episode "Deadliners" off the top of my head.

The opening song remix slaps.
In an era of legacy sequels, Extreme Ghostbusters was way ahead of its time and far better than most.

Now, I've not seen it since I was fifteen, so I was right in that space where I was too old *and* too young to be watching it, but I remember it being really loving solid.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They’re currently filming Ecto-1 driving around New York streets :toot:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blow it up so they can do something new with franchise

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Dan was interviewed on British tv yesterday, and mentioned James Acaster’s role.

https://twitter.com/doktorwatson/status/1665110821314109443

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

The car is not what's keeping originality at the gate.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The car is not what's keeping originality at the gate.

It shouldn't loving be a franchise.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Timby posted:

That ship sailed in 86 when the cartoon came out.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

I'm interested to see if they can do something more cynical than Harold Ramis ghost. Seems impossible but I'll be impressed if they manage to outdo it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Timby posted:

Um, the franchise rights alone will make us rich beyond our wildest dreams

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm interested to see if they can do something more cynical than Harold Ramis ghost. Seems impossible but I'll be impressed if they manage to outdo it.

I didn't get cynicism from it. They went too far into it but I believe it really came from a place of love and respect

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

I didn't get cynicism from it. They went too far into it but I believe it really came from a place of love and respect

His daughter, who arguably knew him best, gave her blessing. I think if she found it offensive or in bad taste, she would've refused :shrug:

If his family is good with it, who are we to argue, other than "I personally didn't like it"? I'm sure Jason Reitman knew him pretty well, too.

I definitely would've preferred the 'invisible' Egon continue to help out, but ehhh.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I liked Ghost Egon. :colbert:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I found it disgusting and offensive

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

same, but enough about gb2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’d rather watch gb2016 then afterlife. At least it had attempts at jokes in the comedy film franchise

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

2016 had a lot of problems but at least felt like an actual attempt at a movie as opposed to Afterlife lacking even the smallest iota of soul.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

2016 was a guy setting up a camera and asking the actors to riff until something funny happened (it never did).

It's soulless and dumb. It's a long SNL sketch (but I repeat myself).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah but they remembered ghostbusters was a comedy at least

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Is it a comedy if no one is laughing?

Venkman in Afterlife got a bigger laugh for me than all of 2016 combined

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was funny how horrifically old he was

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Ghostbusters is its own genre. The humor seems to flow effortlessly, like a gentle stream.

2016 stopped every few minutes to say 'Hey! Look at this joke here!' It felt like they were trying too hard

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

It was funny how horrifically old he was

Very ageist imo

Beachcomber posted:

Ghostbusters is its own genre. The humor seems to flow effortlessly, like a gentle stream.

2016 stopped every few minutes to say 'Hey! Look at this joke here!' It felt like they were trying too hard

Spot on

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

Not everyone can be the Venkman.

but also, there are way lower depths than Afterlife. How about Pete Davidson, Bert Kreischer, and the Paul Brother as ghostbusters. But I dunno, going into New York City telling us how all these woke ghosts are ruining the once great New York with crypto ads everywhere.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ghostbusters is one of those films where the main characters (plus Louis) are living in a comedy but everyone else is in a dead serious disaster film, a large percentage of the funny moments happen when these normal sensible people have to deal with the GBs' bizarre nonsense. And that works amazingly well and is an absolute classic recipe for a hilarious movie ....... but if you make a sequel where the hook is that all those zany characters are missing for almost the entire runtime and a bunch of regular folk have to piece together the mystery and hold out long enough for the joke patrol to finally turn up then that's going to hit really differently.

I'd even argue that Winston wasn't a comedic character for the most part, he mostly acted as a straightman to contrast the other GBs' antics if no one else was around to do it. If you looked at the lives of Janine or Dana or Winston or Walter Peck or the manager at the Sedgewick Hotel before the movie started it'd just be a regular slice of life drama, they live in a non-comedic world. Egon's estranged family were in the same boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ghostbusters is one of those films where the main characters (plus Louis) are living in a comedy but everyone else is in a dead serious disaster film, a large percentage of the funny moments happen when these normal sensible people have to deal with the GBs' bizarre nonsense. And that works amazingly well and is an absolute classic recipe for a hilarious movie ....... but if you make a sequel where the hook is that all those zany characters are missing for almost the entire runtime and a bunch of regular folk have to piece together the mystery and hold out long enough for the joke patrol to finally turn up then that's going to hit really differently.

I'd even argue that Winston wasn't a comedic character for the most part, he mostly acted as a straightman to contrast the other GBs' antics if no one else was around to do it. If you looked at the lives of Janine or Dana or Winston or Walter Peck or the manager at the Sedgewick Hotel before the movie started it'd just be a regular slice of life drama, they live in a non-comedic world. Egon's estranged family were in the same boat.

That's a great analysis that I've never heard before but sums up GB quite nicely!

This is why I'm hoping, HOPING, that the next film has way more of the OG crew. Now maybe Murray just doesn't want to do it, then that's a shame. But if it's because "oh they're old, people only like the car, plus Stranger Things" then they can get hosed. Murray, Ackroyd and Hudson can still carry a movie.