Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/disneyapromos/status/1654251950026752000?s=61&t=0u0iPLgsrw9rb7UXErdBQA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Anyone who didn't name their horse "Krudler" in Red Dead Redemption 2 played the game incorrectly.

I considered it but ended up going for "Mr. Horse" instead because I had recently thought about Bart naming his putter Mr. Putter.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

OK, I watched this and it sucked poo poo!

Top billing goes to Hank Azaria for delivering one line as Chief Wiggum, but Homer is still creepily, off-puttingly voiceless, reacting with screams and yelps that are totally silent.

The Simpsomatic Universe Disney castle is depressing because it suggests the future of the franchise: familiar Springfield landmarks and characters distorted to fit the corporate mold, with absolutely no trace left of the family who anchored the stories that made it an empire in the first place.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I feel like all the Maggie shorts lets them get away with not paying the voice actors

Edit: or write any dialogue

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 8, 2023

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Simpsons when done well is a radio drama that happens to be animated. If the audio on its own can't hold up, it's a sure sign the episode is crap

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Maggy centric stuff has pretty much always been a low point even when the Simpsons was good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Moon Monster posted:

Maggy centric stuff has pretty much always been a low point even when the Simpsons was good.

Yeah, they ignore her almost all the time for a reason.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Babies irl are capable of being funny, babies in television not as much

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I remember the old days when Simpsons fans used to solely blame Ian Maxtone-Graham for everything bad

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I remember the old days when Simpsons fans used to solely blame Ian Maxtone-Graham for everything bad

Well, he was kind of an rear end in a top hat in interviews

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
More like Ian Hack-tone Graham! :argh:

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I just looked up his credits and man, that is not a particularly good track record, at least as far as the ones I'm actually familiar with.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The Moon Monster posted:

“A Streetcar Named Marge” has the Maggie subplot where she breaks out of the daycare with the rest of the babies a la The Great Escape. That’s a great episode overall, though.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Any and every character is basically a tool, it comes down to the quality of the writing and what you do with them. The Maggie-centric plots aren’t bad because it’s Maggie, they’re now bad because hacks who have howling voids where you’d otherwise find talent now writing the show.

A Streetcar Named Marge was good because it was written and doctored by talented people who knew what the gently caress they were doing.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

You Are A Elf posted:

“A Streetcar Named Marge” has the Maggie subplot where she breaks out of the daycare with the rest of the babies a la The Great Escape. That’s a great episode overall, though.

That's the episode that led them onto the dark path of thinking they could make good Maggie episodes and is therefore, when taken holistically, the worst one of all.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Homer Alone has great Maggie content, especially Wiggum giving her back and instantly forgiving Homer’s serious neglect.

Low point was the Homer security company where Maggie keeps a rifle under her bed to shoot mobsters? Bad character moment, weak ending, overusing Fat Tony… yes we all like Joe Mantegna but just because he’s available all the time doesn’t mean he needs to show up constantly.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The Maggie Great Escape scene works and is cute because they're using baby toys and stuff. All these new shorts are dumb and bad because it's just blatantly lazy and cynical marketing thinly veiled as trying to capture the same cuteness of the Great Escape scene.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Rugrats did it

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The Moon Monster posted:

That's the episode that led them onto the dark path of thinking they could make good Maggie episodes and is therefore, when taken holistically, the worst one of all.

Stupid babies need the most attention!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The Maggie Great Escape scene works and is cute because they're using baby toys and stuff. All these new shorts are dumb and bad because it's just blatantly lazy and cynical marketing thinly veiled as trying to capture the same cuteness of the Great Escape scene.

:hmmyes:

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Other highlights were it being the Ayn Rand Daycare Centre (about which the Ayn Rand Appreciation Society apparently got in touch with the show and thanked them for the reference, not getting that it wasn't exactly complimentary) and the parody of The Birds, complete with Hitchcock's cameo walking the dog at the end.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Also, like the majority of the references and parodies from the good seasons, it's funny even if you aren't aware of the source material. It's not just "what if Star Wars, but Maggie".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The best thing that Disney ever did with Star Wars was also the first thing, the Phineas and Ferb crossover.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I know it's not the point you're making, but I'm not going to miss an opportunity to sing the praises of Andor because it really is the best Star Wars thing since like Empire Strikes Back.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Atlas Hugged posted:

I know it's not the point you're making, but I'm not going to miss an opportunity to sing the praises of Andor because it really is the best Star Wars thing since like Empire Strikes Back.

Yup, best drama in a long while & I liked Better Call Saul.

Been rewatching Futurama after maybe a decade and it’s still a lot of fun. I’m appreciating Zoidberg more and Hermes may be my favorite. A big plus is how pleasant the animation looks with lots of energy & obvious effort (glares at Bob’s Burgers.)

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yup, best drama in a long while & I liked Better Call Saul.

Been rewatching Futurama after maybe a decade and it’s still a lot of fun. I’m appreciating Zoidberg more and Hermes may be my favorite. A big plus is how pleasant the animation looks with lots of energy & obvious effort (glares at Bob’s Burgers.)

"You still have Zoidberg. You ALL still have Zoidberg!"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hey dudes what's the latest lowest point of the Simpsons?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

it gets lower every day

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
By at least one measure it’s never gone lower than the Lady Gaga episode in 2012. One day my curiosity will get the better of me, but I haven’t been able to bring myself to watch it so far.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

It's the cynical marketing that gets me the most. Not that the Simpsons haven't been used for marketing in the past, but something about them shilling for Disney feels bleak.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Makes Disney and the Simpsons look bad, and it's not like either them still have to much of a reputation to begin with.

Whats the last new classic animated film Disney put out, not including Pixar stuff? Like Mona?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Encanto was a big hit I think but Lost World and Lightyear were kinda flops

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)

Non Compos Mentis posted:

https://twitter.com/TanookiKuribo/status/1652833840627343362?t=C5yN4vQXdzjXz4lgeQowUQ&s=19

You can kinda hear the original Burns voice occasionally through the old man breathy talk

Does his voice always sound like this now? That sounds a lot like he was sick that day, not a degraded voice. For like 2 decades now the agreement between the actors and Fox is to record their lines at their convenience in separate studios with little interference. It’s not like he’s trying to prove himself with his performance; so if he blocked half a day to get some Simpsons lines in the can I don’t see why he would reschedule if his voice was lovely because of a cold or laryngitis. He gets the millions per episode either way and there’s not a single producer or exec that can threaten him in a meaningful way.

Just telling this to myself because if that’s just his voice now I’d be really sad :(

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There was a Flanders clip shown that was basically the same thing, where it hardly sounded like him at all.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

hatty posted:

Encanto was a big hit I think but Lost World and Lightyear were kinda flops

It was "Strange World" but who cares...

Lightyear was Pixar.

Technically the Bob's Burgers Movie was released by Disney :getin:

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
How does this show even generate enough revenue to pay all the voice actors so much per episode still

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Capital Letdown posted:

How does this show even generate enough revenue to pay all the voice actors so much per episode still

The brand has brought in billions of dollars through merchandise. Even with the high VA salaries, they could keep this show going indefinitely.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

FutonForensic posted:

The brand has brought in billions of dollars through merchandise. Even with the high VA salaries, they could keep this show going indefinitely.

not to mention sales of Simpsons Christmas Boogie singles, which alone generates billions

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Pretty sure all the money from the Flintstones chewable morphine went directly to the Flintstones estates alas.

It may of helped starts the opioid epidemic, but sure as hell bought Fred a nice luxury yacht.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

dr_rat posted:

Pretty sure all the money from the Flintstones chewable morphine went directly to the Flintstones estates alas.

It may of helped starts the opioid epidemic, but sure as hell bought Fred a nice luxury yacht.

that stuff was brutal. I was so addicted, I was yabba-dabbing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

Does his voice always sound like this now?

Yes