Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'm surprised this issue doesn't come up more given the otherwise effusive praise for this chair. This is my fourth chair in 1.5 years so I'll probably just deal with it for now. Maybe I'll try the Gesture next.
effusive praise where? it’s an okay-to-mid chair that was popular 30 years ago for being a sign that your tech company was about to get bought by Yahoo. get an Embody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Jumped on the Embody train today. Rip to my wallet but also maybe rip to my sciatica.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Cyks posted:

Jumped on the Embody train today. Rip to my wallet but also maybe rip to my sciatica.

We really need an embody gang tag

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Aeron > embody :colbert:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Mega Comrade posted:

Aeron > embody :colbert:

It’s okay to be wrong

The Aeron is rad for sure and is definitely the best mesh chair I’ve sat in

BUT

I sat in my Embody for 14 hours yesterday because work is poo poo and it felt like a normal day — the endurance sitting capability it gives you owns, dumb as that sounds.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I'd probably like the embody more if they came in different sizes. But for the one size they do it's just too small for my lanky freak body.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

tehinternet posted:

I sat in my Embody for 14 hours yesterday because work is poo poo and it felt like a normal day — the endurance sitting capability it gives you owns, dumb as that sounds.

It's weird that people act like this is exclusive to the Embody, though, because they both do that. I sit in my Aeron dawn to dusk with no issues, every day, and I have for... pushing two decades, now? It has always confused me why some people can only game/work for a couple hours before they get too uncomfortable to continue, and only recently did I realize (from reading this thread) that it's because my spoiled rear end has had this chair my entire adult life and few other people do.

I'll take the embody gang at face value that it might do the same thing better, but they still do the same thing. And I also believe the posters saying it depends on your body type which one suits you best.

E: I probably should replace the mesh on my Aeron given how old it is, but without any HM showrooms or dealers in this part of the state, I don't have any access to new chairs to use as a frame (heh) of reference for how much the support has changed on mine.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 3, 2023

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Nolgthorn posted:

I really love my secretlab titan evo but everyone else hates it and me so I am not sure. e: (these are regularly on sale for like $100 off so wait for one of those fyi.) Every encounter with my computer is like a super fast race.

Adding another datapoint to the Secretlab discourse: I've had a Titan Evo 2022 with the fabric option for over a year now, and it's held up very well and remains quite comfortable. Most impressive is the upholstery. Our mad kitten has been climbing it like a tree for months, and it's the only furniture in the house with ZERO damage from her. There are no tears, rips, loose threads, nothing. And she truly goes apeshit on the headrest, but you'd never know from looking at it. Speaking as a cheapass, it is a solid chair if you can't pony up the extra $500 for a Herman Miller or something.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mega Comrade posted:

I'd probably like the embody more if they came in different sizes. But for the one size they do it's just too small for my lanky freak body.
Skill Issue. anyone taller than ~6’4”/190cm should be playing in the National Basketball Association instead of working an e-mail job

beer gas canister posted:

Adding another datapoint to the Secretlab discourse: I've had a Titan Evo 2022 [….] it is a solid chair if you can't pony up the extra $500 for a Herman Miller or something.
rofl wait those twitch streamer race car chairs are expensive too?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

TenementFunster posted:

Skill Issue. anyone taller than ~6’4”/190cm should be playing in the National Basketball Association instead of working an e-mail job

Yeah they're like $500-$600 new but I've also seen the 2022 models on FB Marketplace for like $200 so I might cop one anyways

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

The only ones worth buying in the racing chair style are expensive because they differ a bunch from the absolute dogshit you can get on amazon for like $100. Most of the GAMER chairs are mass produced at the same factory with a different logo, there's no difference between any of them except the Secret Lab ones which come with softer supports on the seat and lumbar support that isn't a lovely pillow

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

CBD Corndog posted:

The only ones worth buying in the racing chair style are expensive because they differ a bunch from the absolute dogshit you can get on amazon for like $100. Most of the GAMER chairs are mass produced at the same factory with a different logo, there's no difference between any of them except the Secret Lab ones which come with softer supports on the seat and lumbar support that isn't a lovely pillow

Even still, none of them have seat backs that do anything other than exist. Being freakishly large myself I've fallen to the allure purely for wanting a chair that fits, but once you sit in something that has a back that's functional as something other than plywood it's tough going back. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Now, making a decision on the handful of options there are, that's a different story. :v:

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
It's time for a real chair. We have Aerons at work, and they don't really work for me - I think it's the mesh.

Checking the local super-trustworthy office liquidator, I could pick up a Steelcase Leap for $350, an Amia for $225, or a Humanscale Freedom for $225. I value stability, something that'll keep me stable sitting straight up. Thoughts?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do they have a Mirra 2?

The Humanscale Freedom is a good chair but the back is fairly low.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I started watching Titans with my wife and noticed that the computer chair where the bat computer is is a black Embody. Very on brand for a Bruce Wayne built complex.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Do they have a Mirra 2?

The Humanscale Freedom is a good chair but the back is fairly low.

They do! Actually, the idea of a low back doesn't sound so bad.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Red Crown posted:

It's time for a real chair. We have Aerons at work, and they don't really work for me - I think it's the mesh.

Checking the local super-trustworthy office liquidator, I could pick up a Steelcase Leap for $350, an Amia for $225, or a Humanscale Freedom for $225. I value stability, something that'll keep me stable sitting straight up. Thoughts?
if your office has aerons, you probably have a fancy enough job to see if a letter from a doctor is good enough to get your boss to expense an embody for your chronic lower back pain or similar doctor-approved exaggeration.

tehinternet posted:

I started watching Titans with my wife and noticed that the computer chair where the bat computer is is a black Embody. Very on brand for a Bruce Wayne built complex.
don’t let that dissuade you - it’s still a very good chair

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I went to the Herman Miller store in San Francisco to sit on the Embody and I really did like it, enough to decide that I want one. Currently i've been using an Aeron Classic for a couple of years that I got second hand and it's the best chair i've had so far.

I guess the main conundrum is do I go for a clean second hand embody for 700$ or I can fork up for the logitech version from HM directly for 1400$ on sale with their warranty?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I am so loving my logi embody. What a joy.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

infraboy posted:

I went to the Herman Miller store in San Francisco to sit on the Embody and I really did like it, enough to decide that I want one. Currently i've been using an Aeron Classic for a couple of years that I got second hand and it's the best chair i've had so far.

I guess the main conundrum is do I go for a clean second hand embody for 700$ or I can fork up for the logitech version from HM directly for 1400$ on sale with their warranty?
do not buy the Gamer Edition, friend. just get a regular Embody from Herman. you can make it any number of inadvisable colors without involving An RGB Company.

the warranty is absolutely worth it. 12 years is a long time and the warranty service is absurdly great. they will basically refurbish your chair if any little thing stops acting as it should

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
At the moment the Gamer version is actually cheaper, I sat on both versions and didn't find much of a difference comfort wise. The logitech version is just under 1400$ after tax and shipping while the office version is around 1600-1700$

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

If you have a HM dealer near you, they can get you a price similar to the Logitech version with your colors of choice. Main difference for me was the Logitech was 1 week delivery and the dealer was 4-6 weeks.

Currently in the process of updating conference rooms with Logitech gear for 6-10k a piece, maybe I can get some Logitech chairs to go with it!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

infraboy posted:

At the moment the Gamer version is actually cheaper, I sat on both versions and didn't find much of a difference comfort wise. The logitech version is just under 1400$ after tax and shipping while the office version is around 1600-1700$
i suppose that’s the price of self-respect

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I have a Logitech embody from when they were on a massive sale, and it is amazing. It removed the back pain I was experiencing and is very comfortable. Highly recommended.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Fwiw, the two variants use different materials in both the seat and the back, and people say they actually can feel the difference. Which one you prefer will probably come down to personal preference and sitting habits.

Pretending the two are identical and one is poo poo on principle because of its very tangential affiliation with video games (logitech makes a ton of things that aren't gamer gear, including lots of ergo computer peripherals within this same business-targeted space) seems like a real weird hill to die on imho. Especially on this forum. :shrug:

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

TenementFunster posted:

if your office has aerons, you probably have a fancy enough job to see if a letter from a doctor is good enough to get your boss to expense an embody for your chronic lower back pain or similar doctor-approved exaggeration.

No work from home for me, this is strictly for gaming and posting. Also, I checked and we have at least Aerons, Steelcases, and at least two other unidentified types of chairs. LOTS of hate for what turned out to be the Aerons.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Unsinkabear posted:

Fwiw, the two variants use different materials in both the seat and the back, and people say they actually can feel the difference. Which one you prefer will probably come down to personal preference and sitting habits.

Pretending the two are identical and one is poo poo on principle because of its very tangential affiliation with video games (logitech makes a ton of things that aren't gamer gear, including lots of ergo computer peripherals within this same business-targeted space) seems like a real weird hill to die on imho. Especially on this forum. :shrug:
i’m not dying, i’m living. don’t buy gamer-branded poo poo if you are an adult

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

God forbid somebody sees me in my chair that has a branding 99% of the population wouldn’t be able to identify during my 8 hour WoW session.

Does anyone even think of Logitech as a gaming company? When I think of them I think of the keyboards/mice, headsets and webcams you see in office buildings.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 10, 2023

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Cyks posted:

Does anyone even think of Logitech as a gaming company?
yes. presumably, Logitech considers Logitech a gaming company. they have spent many millions of dollars marketing their “G” gaming line, including a licensing agreement with Herman Miller to produce a translucent blue gamer chair.

don’t spend $1500 on a chair that looks like it is supposed to pair with a 2003 iBook. if you must have a garish $1500 chair, really go for it and get amethyst.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Huh, and here I thought the "G" gamer chair was black. Shows what I know!

TenementFunster considers TenementFunster a premier poster. They have spent many millions of words cementing this fact into the consciousness of all posters in this thread, including a licensing agreement with TFR to produce the ultimate poster.

Don't spend too much time thinking about TenementFunster. If you must experience the true Poster's Poster, really go for it and PM TenementFunster.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

The only real issue with the Logitech embody is the premium slapt on top of it for some 'cooling foam'.

And your unlikely to find it in an office outlet.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Multiple millions sure sounds like a lot until you consider Logitech’s revenue last year was 5.48 billion. Hell they had 630 million in advertising expenses last year.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I agree, spending more money on the same product because of branding is definitely the Adult thing to do.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I have the Amethyst gamer Embody. It’s great! I got it at a slight premium over the regular Embody because it shipped immediately rather than in 6 weeks and the garish color is appealing to me.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have a 2003 iBook I’d like to match a chair to. Anyone have any suggestions?

e: I’m a serious gamer, if that helps

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

I have a 2003 iBook I’d like to match a chair to. Anyone have any suggestions?

e: I’m a serious gamer, if that helps

lmao

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

tehinternet posted:

It’s okay to be wrong

The Aeron is rad for sure and is definitely the best mesh chair I’ve sat in

BUT

I finally sat in an Embody. They're great. and I run too hot for them. I need mesh.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Cyks posted:

Multiple millions sure sounds like a lot until you consider Logitech’s revenue last year was 5.48 billion. Hell they had 630 million in advertising expenses last year.
yeah, it’s the largest “Gamer” brand out there.

brainwrinkle posted:

I have the Amethyst gamer Embody
hell yeah post pics

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Bought a Steelcase Gesture because I liked the Leap & saw this one described as a good choice for taller people (I'm 6'2")

This chair is bizarrely uncomfortable. The seat feels like it's tilting me forward, placing so much pressure on my thighs that they start to ache within minutes. The only way to work around this is to move my butt so far forward that my knees are like a foot from the edge. I'm actually astonished at how much this seat sucks because the Leap's was just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Yeah I tried the Gesture while comparison shopping. I also disliked it for similar reasons as you. I’ve used a Leap v2 at a previous job for years without issues.

It seems like a fairly common complaint against the Gesture.

tl;dr return it for an Embody