Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'd be interested in seeing if that's also the case right now, vs. the great recession. My understanding is that the rising prices as reflected in the CPI over the last three years are heavily weighted towards energy (a special category because its weight on transportation costs which in turn affects basically everything), and food.

And these are currently moving in opposite directions, at least as of March:

In november 2021 this article showed where the inflation was worst at the time:
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/u-s-inflation-which-categories-have-been-hit-the-hardest/

"New vehicles" is the only category that is both up significantly, and is probably weighted heavier towards the higher quintiles than the lower. Energy absolutely dominates, and things like apparel and shelter are up but far less severely. Although again this is nov 2021 looking back at nov 2020, when the pandemic was perhaps at its worst in terms of economic impact.

The longer-term trend is interesting to understand too:
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/inflation-chart-tracks-price-changes-us-goods-services/

From 2000 to 2022, some categories that luxuries fit into like big TVs, new cars, toys, are flat or down; stuff that the lowest quintile has to pay for like child care, housing, and medical care are up... and college tuition skyrocketed, which I think probably is a higher-income impact given the kids of the wealthy are the most likely to pay for ivy league sized college bills. Although student costs and loan debt hits the lower quintiles especially hard:

quote:

As usual, low income students are disproportionally impacted by rising tuition. Pell Grants now cover a much smaller portion of tuition than they used to, and the majority of states have cut funding to higher education in recent years.

I'm actually not sure if any of this is relevant now, but it's worth diving into rather than taking "CPI" as a reasonable and complete summary of what inflation is doing to people whose wagers are or are not rising to keep up.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Bremen posted:

Is that changing? I'm just googling but it looks like seasonally adjusted wage growth for the 3 months December 22-March 23 was 1.2%. It looks like CPI increase for those three months was... 1.1% Well, okay, so they're basically tied at this point, but at least inflation is no longer clearly outpacing wage growth.

If inflation doesn't spike back up (big if) this might be a good sign wage growth will start to steadily outpace it, though.

Long term real wage growth is pretty slow, though (eyeballing the below chart, <1% a year). I'm fairly skeptical that this time is different for some reason.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

LanceHunter posted:

I feel like we need some new term to describe a kind of anti-stagflation. In the same way that term was coined to try and capture the seemingly-paradoxical economic state of a slow economy with high inflation, we need something to capture this state of the economy running super-hot in terms of full (or near-full) employment and rising wages that isn't getting knocked back by rising interest rates. The "radiator economy?"

Maybe something like the-inevitable-consequences-of-a-deeply-dishonest-definition-of-unemployment? Pretending people who haven't been able to find a job for 12 months cease to exist is ridiculous.

I remember a lot of my late teens and early adult hood being full of talking points about each administration shifting the definition of unemployment to make the numbers look better.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Part of the issue is also that consumer spending is very unevenly distributed. It's surprisingly hard to find good data broken out by income bracket, but here's a WaPo chart I found that shows at least the big trends:

Basically your highest quintile in the economy is spending 3x-4X what the lowest quintile is in general. If you're just talking discretionary spending it's more like 10x. I suspect that if this was broken out by deciles it would be even starker.

The people who have come out the best from wage growth have been on the very bottom (e.g. servers actually beginning to get half way decent pay as a result of labor shortages in part due to more of them moving out of the industry because of covid) and at the very top (something obscene like 70% of the increase in savings during covid happened in the top 10%). So if you're talking about the median earner it's very possible to find someone who hasn't seen that wage growth, but is still getting squeezed by inflation.

So, yeah, we're in a situation where a few groups have more disposable income than before and can afford higher prices on luxury items, but at the same time a lot of other people aren't seeing that wage growth and are feeling squeezed by rising prices on daily goods.

That's interesting. As someone in that middle group being pinched by inflation rising much faster than the wages of people I know that makes a lot more sense than most of the news I hear. We've been able to absorb the losses by decreasing discretionary spending so we're not hurting yet but it sure has been making folks agitated. Well, that and going down to a single car helped a lot.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 5, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
unemployment definitions haven't really shifted since the mid 90s. U-1 through U-6 are still what they are so I'm not sure what you're talking about, exactly. People who have been jobless for more than 12 months but have looked for a job in the last four weeks still count in all of U-1 through U-6. and even if you stop looking but would like a job you count as marginally attached, which is included in U-5 and U-6.

edit: also even if for whatever reason you want to bitch about U-1 being inaccurate, even something like U-6 is at historic lows at 6.6%.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 5, 2023

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

LLSix posted:

Maybe something like the-inevitable-consequences-of-a-deeply-dishonest-definition-of-unemployment? Pretending people who haven't been able to find a job for 12 months cease to exist is ridiculous.

I remember a lot of my late teens and early adult hood being full of talking points about each administration shifting the definition of unemployment to make the numbers look better.

This topic came up in the thread before: Trying to hand-wave away the continued fall in unemployment as fake doesn't stand up to scrutiny when labor force participation is just 0.7% lower than it was immediately before the pandemic hit, and basically in-line with the rate for the last ten years.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

I feel like we need some new term to describe a kind of anti-stagflation. In the same way that term was coined to try and capture the seemingly-paradoxical economic state of a slow economy with high inflation, we need something to capture this state of the economy running super-hot in terms of full (or near-full) employment and rising wages that isn't getting knocked back by rising interest rates. The "radiator economy?"

The "1% of the workforce unexpectedly died of covid and nobody wants to acknowledge that" effect?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pretty bold statement https://archive.is/2023.05.05-16070...finance-1b6eb3e

Office building price may drop up to 50%

quote:

PGIM expects property prices to drop in a range of 7.5%-50% in this cycle (see chart), with office properties likely facing the most downside risk.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Leperflesh posted:

Oh, for sure, and I think most of us agree that the inflation was and perhaps still is being driven by supply shortages, not (or not only) by demand, which is why rising rates is predicted to have less of an impact. But wage growth lagging price growth probably will, IMO, in that at some point there will be a new equilibrium between supply and demand that fixes prices in place. No?

No, the primary driver is corporations raising prices to raise profits and blame supply chain issues, and now we’re seeing knock on effects of that, and other systemic factors like rising wage inequality hitting limits that change behavior on ways that move the economy outside “normal” behavior.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Pretty bold statement https://archive.is/2023.05.05-16070...finance-1b6eb3e

Office building price may drop up to 50%

lol look at that apartment line good lord

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

pseudanonymous posted:

No, the primary driver is corporations raising prices to raise profits and blame supply chain issues, and now we’re seeing knock on effects of that, and other systemic factors like rising wage inequality hitting limits that change behavior on ways that move the economy outside “normal” behavior.

Corporations have always tried to price their products as high as the market would allow, they never needed excuses. Normally if a company goes too high a competitor can swoop in and take their profit by lowering their margin but having a higher volume. That can't happen now because.... supply chain issues including labor shortages.

Like, did you think before companies were keeping prices lower because they just didn't have a good excuse or something?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Lockback posted:

Corporations have always tried to price their products as high as the market would allow, they never needed excuses. Normally if a company goes too high a competitor can swoop in and take their profit by lowering their margin but having a higher volume. That can't happen now because.... supply chain issues including labor shortages.

Like, did you think before companies were keeping prices lower because they just didn't have a good excuse or something?

That’s actually a theory that’s being argued by some economists: Roughly speaking, the fact that “everyone knows there’s inflation” means that a) companies are more confident that any prices hikes they impose will be matched by competitors, and b) consumers are less motivated to search for lower prices. The WSJ is reporting on it like it’s at least possible, this isn’t strictly some fringe zero hedge thing.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Expectations of inflation being a driver of inflation in and of themselves is not some emerging theory, I'm pretty sure it's been a part of macroeconomics 101 for decades.

E.g. the below article from 2019 in the context of inflation being too low
https://www.clevelandfed.org/publications/ask-the-expert/2019/ate-20190528-rich

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Lockback posted:

The entire "greedflation" narrative took off among the Jacobin crowd for the same reason the election fraud narrative took off among the Fox News crowd. It reinforced strongly-held priors ("Trump couldn't lose an election!" / "Rising wages could never cause rising prices!") that had until recently had held basically true (Trump technically won in 2016 and wage increases above the far-below-equilibrium $7.25 an hour legitimately have negligible effects on prices) and upon which were a lot of the more extreme elements had based their wildest fantasies (after Trump won 2020 all the seal indictments Q talked about were going to be opened / the minimum wage should be $33 an hour).

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

LanceHunter posted:

The entire "greedflation" narrative took off among the Jacobin crowd

Because CEOs were openly admitting it during earnings calls is “the reason” and because those self same companies are then posting record profits.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

raminasi posted:

That’s actually a theory that’s being argued by some economists: Roughly speaking, the fact that “everyone knows there’s inflation” means that a) companies are more confident that any prices hikes they impose will be matched by competitors, and b) consumers are less motivated to search for lower prices. The WSJ is reporting on it like it’s at least possible, this isn’t strictly some fringe zero hedge thing.

esquilax posted:

Expectations of inflation being a driver of inflation in and of themselves is not some emerging theory, I'm pretty sure it's been a part of macroeconomics 101 for decades.

E.g. the below article from 2019 in the context of inflation being too low
https://www.clevelandfed.org/publications/ask-the-expert/2019/ate-20190528-rich

There's a gap between it being a factor and it being "The Primary Driver"

Baddog
May 12, 2001
God forbid people start expecting actual raises again, the "wage spiral" will be the death of us!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

Because CEOs were openly admitting it during earnings calls is “the reason” and because those self same companies are then posting record profits.

What CEOs are openly admitting is that they are able to raise prices due to scarcity and that their costs have not actually risen to match, so they're generating profits.

This is not the same thing as CEOs suddenly realizing in 2020+ that they could raise prices and generate profits, like that that's a thing. No. It's that in an environment with a supply restriction not based on rising cost of supply provides a new equilibrium of supply & demand, e.g, a higher price that the market will bear, that the companies can sell into, and that generates more profit.

Perhaps the most obvious and clearcut example is oil. Exxon's costs to extract oil did not go up, but the global price of oil went up as supply became restricted. Exxon sold just as much oil, at a higher price, with not particularly higher costs, and therefore loads of money in profits. This is not "causing inflation", it's participating in inflation caused by the loss of russia's oil on most of the world's market, plus the loss of a huge amount of shipping capacity during lockdowns, among other factors.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Also when inflation flirts with double digits for a year everything will hit new record highs. Wages are at a new record high too along with corporation profits. That's not unusual, usually these things go up and we had a year where lots of stuff shot up.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

pseudanonymous posted:

The point is that's no conspiracy on the part of the corporations, this isn't "fake" inflation caused by an illusion of supply shortages. Because companies raising prices because the market will pay them is how inflation has always worked.

Or, to reuse an analogy I liked, blaming inflation on greed is like blaming a plane crash on gravity. Yeah, it's technically why the plane hit the ground, but gravity isn't any stronger today than it was yesterday. The question is what went wrong with the plane that resulted in gravity causing it to hit the ground.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Leperflesh posted:

What CEOs are openly admitting is that they are able to raise prices due to scarcity and that their costs have not actually risen to match, so they're generating profits.

This is not the same thing as CEOs suddenly realizing in 2020+ that they could raise prices and generate profits, like that that's a thing. No. It's that in an environment with a supply restriction not based on rising cost of supply provides a new equilibrium of supply & demand, e.g, a higher price that the market will bear, that the companies can sell into, and that generates more profit.

Perhaps the most obvious and clearcut example is oil. Exxon's costs to extract oil did not go up, but the global price of oil went up as supply became restricted. Exxon sold just as much oil, at a higher price, with not particularly higher costs, and therefore loads of money in profits. This is not "causing inflation", it's participating in inflation caused by the loss of russia's oil on most of the world's market, plus the loss of a huge amount of shipping capacity during lockdowns, among other factors.

Excellent description.

Private corpos charging as much as they can for their product isn’t new.

This is only not the case with monopolies which is… another topic

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

hey hadlock, what's your adjudication for linking graphics from twitter (yet not embedding tweet) instead of just screencappin' and uploading to imgur and then posting?

because this graph is interesting, and makes economic sense:

other SLOOS raw data here:
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/DRTSCILM

senior loan officer survey came out today and got some media attention. the job market is so strong right now, hard to see a recession in the next 3mo or so. but not a great path for loans!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

pmchem posted:

hey hadlock, what's your adjudication for linking graphics from twitter (yet not embedding tweet) instead of just screencappin' and uploading to imgur and then posting?

I don't like it and I think it's lazy and I don't know what twitters policy on deep linking images is or will be next week. Of course imgur was threatening to turn off anonymous images the other day but I haven't been keeping up with that

That said, I guess hot linking to Twitter images is fine, so long as the images are available for at least one week. The no tweet thing is specifically to prevent a trend of lazy posting, doom scrolling and "blood!" reactions. Who hosts the image isn't related to that goal so long as it's not embedded in a tweet

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Recession? What recession

https://simpleflying.com/air-new-zealand-remove-last-boeing-777-desert-storage/

quote:

Air New Zealand had a fleet of seven Boeing 777-300ERs, and when they were grounded, the airline put three into deep storage at Auckland Airport (AKL). With no sign of travel resuming, the other four went to Victorville Southern California Logistics Airport (VCV) in the Mojave Desert,

Air New Zealand (ANZ) started bringing the Boeing 777s back from the desert in August last year, and the exciting news is that the fourth and final one is about to come home. After more than 850 days in storage, aircraft ZK-OKM (pictured above) is due to make a triumphant return to Auckland Airport on Wednesday at 20:00. After a quick spit and polish in ANZ's maintenance hangar, ZK-OKM is going back to work on Saturday with a flight to San Francisco International (SFO).

This is the second "long range planes back from the bone yard" article I've read in as many weeks

Pulling your last long range transpacific airplanes out of storage is a pretty big deal, you're betting on sustained growth, it costs about a million dollars and three months to get them ready for service according to the other article I read

In other news American just opened up a Sacramento to Austin nonstop flight, which is... Ballsy. I don't think most people even know Sacramento has a commercial airport. Austin is a big tech hub but that's a weird choice to fly from Sacramento. Sac is about 2.25 hours from San Francisco depending on traffic

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CPI due out Wednesday AM

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sacramento and Austin are both Southwest focus cities so a flight between them doesn’t seem very strange. It’s also a flight between the 11th largest and 35th largest cities in the US. I bet it will do fine.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

also state capitals for two of the largest states. I’m more that surprised AA didn’t already have a direct flight

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

powerful bay area guy energy to that post tbh

"people don't know that the capital of the 5th largest economy in the world and the 35th largest city in the united states has an airport" come on son

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

pmchem posted:

also state capitals for two of the largest states. I’m more that surprised AA didn’t already have a direct flight

The direct flight situation in Austin is very frustrating. Up until 1999 we only had a municipal airport and the vast majority of flights went to other Texas cities (mostly Houston and Dallas) to then connect out. Our current airport opened just two years before 9/11, and it had about the worst possible architecture for handling things afterwards. For example, every single shop/restaurant/cafe/etc was behind the security checkpoint, since they never imagined a world where people without tickets wouldn't be able to go through security to be able to wait for their arrivals.

The airport has been trying its hardest to keep up with the insane amount of growth, but it's been a poo poo-show the entire time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

. For example, every single shop/restaurant/cafe/etc was behind the security checkpoint, since they never imagined a world where people without tickets wouldn't be able to go through security to be able to wait for their arrivals.

The airport has been trying its hardest to keep up with the insane amount of growth, but it's been a poo poo-show the entire time.

This sounds weird in a post 9/11 reality but yeah in Texas when you flew in to town, the whole extended family would drive to the airport and meet you at the gate

We always flew into San Antonio because flying in and out of Texas was a non starter

Austin Bergstrom airport is like 45 minutes from Austin and there's just absolutely nothing out there on that side of the city where it's located except a handful of strip malls, the rest of the city is on the other side of downtown/i-35. Ticket prices are usually double that of flying through San Antonio too. And if you have a connecting flight further east almost certainly you're flying through Houston, Dallas or Denver

Apparently Austin is already working on replacing Austin Bergstrom

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Commercial flights also pack the baggage compartment with paid freight including especially mail, and state capitals tend to handle a lot of extra mail. I bet that direct flight would be profitable even if only half the seats are full.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

LanceHunter posted:

The direct flight situation in Austin is very frustrating. Up until 1999 we only had a municipal airport and the vast majority of flights went to other Texas cities (mostly Houston and Dallas) to then connect out. Our current airport opened just two years before 9/11, and it had about the worst possible architecture for handling things afterwards. For example, every single shop/restaurant/cafe/etc was behind the security checkpoint, since they never imagined a world where people without tickets wouldn't be able to go through security to be able to wait for their arrivals.

As long as we're doing weird airport chat, I flew out of Berlin Tegel in 2019 a few years before they finally closed it, and I'm still not totally convinced it wasn't one big fever dream. The airport is 100% from the jetset era when security checkpoints didn't even exist. They retrofitted this by having one big central hexagon that's entirely landside, which is also where all the shops and lounges are. Then there's literally individual isolated airside sections for every single gate. This means every single gate has its own security screening station and passport control. Except this was all built in the era before either of those, so the queues of 300 people waiting for security and passport control back up into long snaking lines inside the hexagon. If there's more than one flight leaving at nearby gates, their lines start overlapping and blocking the main travel hallway. Then once you're actually airside, it's one tiny cramped gate waiting room with a single toilet and vending machine, with everyone crammed inside like cattle because it's literally one of 20 small disconnected airside pocket zones.

The whole thing felt like an airport designed by an insane person.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

gently caress tegel so much

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

gently caress tegel so much

I always had great luck with it but the key is to only fly out at the absolute rear end crack of dawn.

Going out when there are other people there is madness.

It’s well located for a quick cab ride as an incoming flight though. Customs on the way in was always super painless and fast, at least with a US passport.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mrmcd posted:

As long as we're doing weird airport chat, I flew out of Berlin Tegel in 2019 a few years before they finally closed it, and I'm still not totally convinced it wasn't one big fever dream. The airport is 100% from the jetset era when security checkpoints didn't even exist. They retrofitted this by having one big central hexagon that's entirely landside, which is also where all the shops and lounges are. Then there's literally individual isolated airside sections for every single gate.

Reminds me of Kailua Lamour or however it's spelled

There's an initial :airquote: security checkpoint when you enter the :airquote: secure part of the airport, which wasn't manned when I walked past it, and then each gate had it's own luggage scanner + human walk through metal detector. I remember this because they were real dicks about the $9 black coffee I'd just bought before boarding the airplane

Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 makes a lot more sense in the context of flying out of the same airport

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Inflation report is out...

New York Times posted:

What to know about the latest inflation report.

Inflation slowed for a 10th straight month in April, a closely watched report on Wednesday showed, good news for American families struggling under the burden of higher costs and for policymakers in Washington as they try to wrangle rapid price increases.

The Consumer Price Index climbed 4.9 percent in April from a year earlier, less than the 5 percent economists in a Bloomberg survey had expected. Inflation has come down notably from a peak just above 9 percent last summer, though it has remained far higher than the 2 percent annual gains that were normal before the pandemic.

After stripping out food and fuel to get a sense of the underlying trend in price increases — what economists call a core measure — consumer prices climbed 5.5 percent from a year earlier, a slight drop from 5.6 percent in the previous reading.

The slowdown in price increases last month came even as gas costs picked up and rent costs continued to climb briskly. New car prices, a measure of the price of medical care and airfares all declined in April, the report showed.

Although inflation has been gradually cooling, it has remained too elevated for policymakers to be comfortable. Much of the slowing in price increases has come as supply chain bottlenecks have cleared up, goods shortages have eased and gas prices have moderated after a surge in summer 2022 that was tied to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. But underlying trends that could keep inflation persistently high over time have remained intact, including unusually strong wage growth, which could prod companies to try to charge more for products and services.

Yet policymakers also received good news along those lines in Wednesday’s report. The data showed a meaningful slowdown in services prices after stripping out food, energy and housing costs. That measure climbed by 5.2 percent on a yearly basis, down sharply from 5.7 percent in the previous reading.

Policymakers have been watching that trimmed-down measure for a signal of where price increases might go next.

Stock prices jumped after the data was released, a sign that investors interpreted the data as good news for Federal Reserve policymakers.

Fed officials are likely to watch the April inflation report closely. Officials have raised interest rates over the past year at the fastest pace since the 1980s to slow lending and weigh down the economy, but now that rates are above 5 percent, policymakers have signaled that they could pause rate moves as soon as their mid-June meeting. That decision will hinge on incoming economic and financial data, they have said.

Policymakers will receive the consumer price report for May on June 13, the day before their decision, but officials typically give markets at least a hint of what they might do with rates ahead of time. That puts significant attention on the April report.

John C. Williams, the president of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, told reporters in New York on Tuesday that the Fed’s next decision — on whether to raise rates or pause at the June meeting — would hinge on incoming data.

He said that it had been appropriate for the Fed to raise interest rates through May to try to get them to a restrictive stance, and that now “we’ll adjust policy going forward based on what we see out there.”

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Also, some discussion on the sources of this inflation...

New York Times posted:

How the drivers of inflation have changed.

Americans have been dealing with rapid inflation for two years, but what’s driving the price increases has evolved.

The data shows that the painful inflation that arose from pandemic disruptions two years ago, and the government’s response to them, was only exacerbated by the war in Ukraine. That combination led to the biggest jump in price increases in half a century. Inflation is now cooling as supply problems clear up and the economy slows, but the road back to normal is still a long and uncertain one.

U.S. inflation today is drastically different from the price increases that first appeared in 2021, driven by stubborn price increases for services like airfare and child care instead of by the cost of goods.

Services costs, which include nonphysical purchases like tutoring and tax preparation, began to climb quickly by late 2021. Because families had more money than usual after months at home and repeated stimulus checks, households were in good spending shape, and landlords, child care providers and restaurants could charge more without losing customers.

The pop in prices over the 24 months that ended in March eroded wage gains, burdened consumers and spurred a Federal Reserve response that has the potential to cause a recession.

Which is most interesting for this graph:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

There is no real debate. After decades of consolidation companies had
A) the ability to raise prices
B) an excuse to raise prices

You just can’t deregulate an economy into a few monopolies or duopolies and then be shocked, shocked, when prices go up. Pointing at wage increases by employers as a major cause of inflation is pure gaslighting.

But as long as we are talking about wage inflation, we’re not talking about monopolies.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

It's fine though inflation won't be a problem anymore when the US defaults next month.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

street doc posted:

There is no real debate. After decades of consolidation companies had
A) the ability to raise prices
B) an excuse to raise prices

You just can’t deregulate an economy into a few monopolies or duopolies and then be shocked, shocked, when prices go up. Pointing at wage increases by employers as a major cause of inflation is pure gaslighting.

But as long as we are talking about wage inflation, we’re not talking about monopolies.

Yes, the highly monopolistic, corporatized industry of *checks notes* day care centers are only raising prices because of corporate greed and not at all because of rising labor costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005
The big table o' inflation is below. Eveyone's got a hot take on inflation numbers, but it appears to me that the primary driver of services inflation is increases in shelter costs (rent and owner equivalent rent). Transportation services has a higher %age increase, but a much lower weight.