Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Ynglaur posted:

You have the KGB GRU push him out a window. It's not complicated. Prigozhin is a useful tool, but he's not very powerful. Shoigu has been Putin's hatchet man since early days. Prigozhin either gets in line or gets murked. I'm unsure which is better for Ukraine. Probably, the best is what we're seeing now: Wagner being responsible for important terrain, not being supported by the RAF, and getting routed by Ukrainian attacks.

My point is it's kind of hard to find a window to push him out of when he's in a foreign hostile warzone with his own personal army

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

Just give Ukraine AGM-158s already. How is leveling the playing field against a near peer "escalation" ? Though I don't think they'd have a platform to launch them from the air without modifications?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

My point is it's kind of hard to find a window to push him out of when he's in a foreign hostile warzone with his own personal army

They've been shooting deserters and injured. Fragging a commander is just another reload.

But more to the point, they can 'accidentally' not be too stringent on comms secrecy and have his position leaked. If he's in HIMARS range, well, another martyr for the pyre.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

OAquinas posted:

They've been shooting deserters and injured. Fragging a commander is just another reload.

But more to the point, they can 'accidentally' not be too stringent on comms secrecy and have his position leaked. If he's in HIMARS range, well, another martyr for the pyre.

That may end up with the information on the timing of the strike "accidentally" leaked right back to him.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

PIZZA.BAT posted:

It is not 1918, it is pretty hard to declare yourself a warlord in the heart of darkness when completely surrounded by working logistical network (and in TOS range) from one side and extremely angry enemy from the other.

OAquinas posted:

Dmitry Rogozin got his literal rear end devastated by artillery round in Donetsk this way, very likely with assistance from Prigozhin who hates him. Every DNR-LNR field commander with ideas on personal brand that had an explisive accident 2014-2018 can also attest to that.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 10, 2023

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Libluini posted:

:lol: Apparently, old Prigo's claims that Russian soldiers have abandoned their posts was real: Ukraine claims they retook 8km² of Bakhmut today

And how long did it take for Wagner and the Russians to take that? And how many men did they lose.

Bakhmut is going to be told in the same tone as Stalingrad: an almost impossible battle that turned around for the defenders and the war.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

Retaking ~20% of the territory in Bakhmut is a big deal tactically. Ukraine was kind of hanging on by its fingernails, and now has an actual foothold again.

It's not in the city proper, I think, but rather South of it (SW, even)

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

OddObserver posted:

Thanks for the clarification. That's an important distinction.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

OAquinas posted:

It's Wagner who's been shooting at deserters, on direct orders from Prigozhin

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

spankmeister posted:

The North Atlantic and Baltic and Black Sea Treaty Organization

I would like to propose the Global Defense Initiative

EmployeeOfTheMonth
Jul 28, 2005
It's the positive attitude that does it

OddObserver posted:

Yes also it didnt seem that significant. I think its just everyone get *excited* because its the Ukraine taking some territory back.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Considering that hundreds (if not thousands) of russians died/got maimed to take it in the first place, swallowing up 8km² in one shot is just an absolute "gently caress you" to the morale of the mobiks. A little excitement is warranted, I think.

We'll see how it plays out in the next day or so.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I would like to propose the Global Defense Initiative

This gets my nod

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There is already AUKUS which Canada is making noises about joining so I could see a Pacific based defence alliance like NATO start to grow.

I thought being in NATO preventing you from joining other alliances? No?

Is this for real? Who said that?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Mutual_Cooperation_and_Security_between_the_United_States_and_Japan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_Defense_Treaty_(United_States%E2%80%93South_Korea)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeast_Asia_Treaty_Organization (now defunct)

Edit: Here's a current one that includes multiple NATO and non-NATO countries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Eyes

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 10, 2023

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Chronojam posted:

This gets my nod

Perhaps we could consider it a brotherhood of sorts.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Does anyone know if the Russian 72nd Brigade referenced in some of the tweets is the 72nd Separate Motor Rifle Brigade?

According to Ukraine press statements it is.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-unit-says-russian-brigade-flees-bakhmut-outskirts-2023-05-10/

quote:

It's official. Prigozhin's report about the flight of Russia's 72nd Independent Motorized Rifle Brigade from near Bakhmut and the '500 corpses' of Russians left behind is true.

The Third Assault Brigade is grateful for the publicity about our success at the front.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
SSX - Seven Seas compacX

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So wait… they spent like 9 months and god knows how much blood and treasure to just retreat?

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Djarum posted:

So wait… they spent like 9 months and god knows how much blood and treasure to just retreat?

Now now, that bit they lost "only" probably took them 2 months and a few hundred lives.

Good example of why not having unified command "may" not be most militarily efficent.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Djarum posted:

From 2-3 sq km. It's a dent in the southern Russian salient threatening to encircle Bakhmut.

Good news but it changes nothing of the overall picture. It may have been a local unit that collapsed for reasons unique to that time and place or it may be indicative of the state of Russian forces generally.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Djarum posted:

Well they only fought for Bakhmut to drain Ukraine's manpower through attrition, so says Prigozhin

So because they don't need the city, they can retreat and conquer it again to inflict even more attrition on Ukraine. Rince and repeat

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There is already AUKUS which Canada is making noises about joining so I could see a Pacific based defence alliance like NATO start to grow.

Aligning in AUCKUS (CAUKUS?) is the only way Canada will ever procure another submarine.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Nervous posted:

Perhaps we could consider it a brotherhood of sorts.

:golfclap:

Thanks. This may be the first clear instance of a regular army unit outright routing, as opposed to withdrawing or retreating in relative good order. LNR/DNR forces seemed to have done so during the Kharkiv Offensive last year, but I can't think of any instances of company-sized formations doing so, nevermind Battalion Tactical Group or Brigades/Regiments.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

steinrokkan posted:

Well they only fought for Bakhmut to drain Ukraine's manpower through attrition, so says Prigozhin

So because they don't need the city, they can retreat and conquer it again to inflict even more attrition on Ukraine. Rince and repeat

Yeah but as others have said if that was the stated goal they did poorly. In the current Russian military state the last thing they should be wanting to do is attrition at all. They don’t have the resources to replenish their stocks easily. It is an even worse idea when NATO is equipping Ukraine with systems that are exponential force multipliers and don’t have the same concerns over material as Russia.

The more likely truth is that Bakhmut was supposed to be an easy win for Wagner. By the point it wasn’t they figured that if they pushed harder at a certain point they would break through and capture it. At a certain point they had invested too much into the battle that they couldn’t leave without being humiliated and questions about the loss of man and material.

Now we have come to a point where they can’t justify further expenditures so Prigozhin is using an excuse to fall back to attempt to save face publicly.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Djarum posted:

Yeah but as others have said if that was the stated goal they did poorly. In the current Russian military state the last thing they should be wanting to do is attrition at all

:thejoke:

Realistically though the best the Russians can hope for is to stay put in the rubble of their conquest, conserve strength and hope that Ukraine is as stupid as them and will waste resources on direct counter attacks at Bakhmut. That can't be very good for morale of the troops there, to have achieved such a costly goal for no immediate benefit and no improvement of their situation in the future.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Some perspective may be in order: there is a non-trivial chance they will finish conquest of the city in a week or two.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/ukraine/russia-war-beyond-ukraines-offensive

If you haven't been following Kofman's podcasts closely, this article is a detailed summary of what he's been saying the last few months. As usual, he's more cautious than some of the louder commentators, and points out the looming shortcomings in Western strategy.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Hannibal Rex posted:

If you haven't been following Kofman's podcasts closely, this article is a detailed summary of what he's been saying the last few months.

Which podcast? The only ones I’m following with regards to the war is War on The Rocks and In Moscows Shadows. Can always use another.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Ynglaur posted:

:golfclap:

Thanks. This may be the first clear instance of a regular army unit outright routing, as opposed to withdrawing or retreating in relative good order. LNR/DNR forces seemed to have done so during the Kharkiv Offensive last year, but I can't think of any instances of company-sized formations doing so, nevermind Battalion Tactical Group or Brigades/Regiments.

From what I can tell, Ukraine has just regained some territory south of Ivanivske. They lost about 4sq km of territory in the last week there according to liveuamap, with RU pushing around southwest from Bakhmut towards Chasiv Yar so this victory for Ukraine seems to just be undoing those gains. It's still good for Ukraine and an embarrasment for Russia but I don't see it as a turning point for the Bakhmut battle. The whining from Prig is interesting and we'll see if it comes true but I tend to not put much weight on the words of people claiming an imminent defeat or victory and try to look at things that have actually happened. Prigozhin and Girkin are both good at making a lot of histrionic noise but events rarely play out as catastrophically as they say they're about to.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

OddObserver posted:

Some perspective may be in order: there is a non-trivial chance they will finish conquest of the city in a week or two.

not saying you're wrong since i haven't paid much attention to the block by block progress in the city, but the sense i've gotten from wider reports is that the russian effort has noticeably diminished in the last week or two. have they continued to make meaningful progress regardless? just glancing at the isw maps, seems like the lines have remained pretty stationary over the last week

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

not saying you're wrong since i haven't paid much attention to the block by block progress in the city, but the sense i've gotten from wider reports is that the russian effort has noticeably diminished in the last week or two. have they continued to make meaningful progress regardless? just glancing at the isw maps, seems like the lines have remained pretty stationary over the last week

Best part of this is that if the russian forces persevere, it's to Ukraine's benefit

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I love it how the discourse has in a month changed from "why are Ukrainians still holding onto Bakhmut? Retreat you stupid :ohdear:" to "yesss, counterattack in Bakhmut baby! :orks101:"
:allears:

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Nenonen posted:

I love it how the discourse has in a month changed from "why are Ukrainians still holding onto Bakhmut? Retreat you stupid :ohdear:" to "yesss, counterattack in Bakhmut baby! :orks101:"
:allears:

If that's what the discourse was I guess I luckily missed it, I mostly got grim preserverance vibes like 'probably going to eventually lose it but they're making the victory costly' that spontaneously shifted to 'are the russians even going to actually take the place they hurled all that cannon fodder at or is it really that bad for them'

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

buglord posted:

Which podcast? The only ones I’m following with regards to the war is War on The Rocks and In Moscows Shadows. Can always use another.

WotR is the main one, but he also has a members only one on their site. Geopolitics Decanted also has high quality guests on Ukraine, both Kofman and others.

This one has Justin Bronk and Dara Massicot on Ukrainian air defense:
https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...3NzBmNDMz?ep=14

Olga Oliker is always insightful, usually focused on conflict management and diplomacy:
https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...xMmMzMjIz?ep=14

Jack Watling of RUSI comments infrequently and spread across different podcasts, but worth looking out for.
https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...5YzJlMjk5?ep=14

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There's Battleground Ukraine with British military historians Patrick Bishop and Saul David.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OddObserver posted:

If so i then petition that the term ''Pyrrhic Victory'' be changed to ''Bakhmut Victory''. :c00lbert:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Is this for real? Who said that?

Saying "We'll greenlight Ukraine joining NATO if Russia approves" sounds like a slightly more polite way of saying "Sure, we'll greenlight Ukraine joining NATO... when pigs fly."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

spankmeister posted:

The North Atlantic and Baltic and Black Sea Treaty Organization

Clearly it should be North (Atlantic, Baltic, Black Sea, Pacific) Treaty Organization. It's not like there's much going on in Southern Black Sea or Southern Pacific.

If you join other alliances and end up in a war because of them, you can't call other NATO members for help. This means that small NATO members are very heavily incentivized not to join other alliances, but if the big swinging dick of worldwide military spending wants to have a few other engagements as a treat, there's really nothing stopping them.