Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

MokBa posted:

“Ganon” is a nickname like Nessie or Satchmo.

The trumpet player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Overbite posted:

The trumpet player?

Demon king, trumpet player, same poo poo different name

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tomorrow night i will play the new Zelda. It is so close finally.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

CJ posted:

I think it would be a mistake to play them back to back. With a few years gap the map being reused isn't as big of an issue because you forget a lot of the details. I can't imagine it would be very fun to spend dozens of hours scouring the map then to jump back in and do it again.

I can't imagine anyone WANTING to play them back to back considering they are hundreds of hours of gameplay and IMO you'd want to try something else afterwards lol

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

mcmagic posted:

I can't imagine anyone WANTING to play them back to back considering they are hundreds of hours of gameplay and IMO you'd want to try something else afterwards lol

I just started running around in BOTW again this week after beating it last year. I'm finishing a few side quests to jog my memory about the world so I can appreciate the changes. Playing them back to back would have felt like a real slog.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

glassyalabolas posted:

Review embargo lifts tomorrow at 8AM EST.
So what are we thinking, 10s across the board?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I'm flying home Saturday night and have just ordered the game plus a second dock so I can play on the big tv in my basement. It'll all be waiting for me when I get home; just hope I'm not too exhausted after my night flight to get stuck in.

I have a sneaking suspicion the game might be pretty good, you know.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

To be fair it'd be hilarious if the gane is just total poo poo.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rageaholic posted:

Even bad games get 10s across the board lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Sounds like this is an epic game.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

mcmagic posted:

Even bad games get 10s across the board lol
Yeah, GameSpot gave Deathloop a 10 and everyone forgot about that game a month after it came out lol

I really doubt the same will be said for TotK, though.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Rageaholic posted:

If it gets a 10 it will be because of branding. The game is super fun and i enjoy it a lot but there are very obvious shortcomings and criticisms you can make (an exploration game reusing the same map for one).

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

10s across the board, one outlet* will give it their first ever 11/10

*NintendoLife

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

36 hours until we can be zeldor and swing the mastery "sword"

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

There will be one or two outlets that give it a 5 or 6 just to generate ragebait clicks and it will work without fail like it does every time

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJ posted:

If it gets a 10 it will be because of branding. The game is super fun and i enjoy it a lot but there are very obvious shortcomings and criticisms you can make (an exploration game reusing the same map for one).

I feel like 'reusing the same map' is hollow criticism if that map is filled with new things to do. I didn't mind it when Miles Morales did it for example and MM changed a lot less than TotK did.

More games need to reuse assets and focus on improving fun stuff instead.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

CJ posted:

It's basically a huge expansion to a previous game with the same graphics and many of the same mechanics... I don't see any way it will be as brain exploding as BoTW or Elden Ring were throwing you into a completely new experience.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

superjew posted:

I thought you could de-fuse items.

You have to make sure you cut the right wire.

Zarlog
Dec 7, 2005

Zarlog, Protector of Baal
Totk will do what Zeldon't

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Nintendis as Nintendoes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

mcmagic posted:

It's basically a huge expansion to a previous game with the same graphics and many of the same mechanics... I don't see any way it will be as brain exploding as BoTW or Elden Ring were throwing you into a completely new experience.

Have you played it already because what I've read from folks who have disagrees with you.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Overbite posted:

The trumpet player?

Grandpa Pickles?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like 'reusing the same map' is hollow criticism if that map is filled with new things to do. I didn't mind it when Miles Morales did it for example and MM changed a lot less than TotK did.

More games need to reuse assets and focus on improving fun stuff instead.

i don't disagree but a huge part of why BotW was praised was the exploration aspect. Yes all the shrines are new and in different places, and there are a ton of sidequests, but Zora's Domain is still Zora's Domain. You don't get the wow factor from discovering it the second time round. I haven't played Spiderman but Yakuza is another thing people compare it to, and i'd say the reason it isn't a big a deal in those games is because exploring Kamurocho isn't the main focus of the game, you buy the new one for the story and cutscenes and sidequests.

Another good comparison is Majora's Mask. That game reused all the assets from OoT but the map was different, the Zora didn't all live in the same place. it felt like a different game because of it.

I've still sunk dozens of hours into it, but there is no doubt the game would have been better if it was a new map.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
This was already soft confirmed during previews, but Part 3 of the Ask the Developers is up and they finally say the D word

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/ask-the-developer-vol-9-the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-part-3/

We've only discussed the skies, but this title has its dungeons too, right?

Fujibayashi: Yes, we haven't talked about the dungeons yet. They've changed from the previous game. For example, there is a dungeon that connects directly from Hyrule's surface. If you dive from the sky straight into the dungeon, you'll trigger an event. We think this will be a new experience that wasn't possible in the previous game.

Dohta: We’ve made dungeons unique to their respective environments, so we think you’ll be able to enjoy the wide variety of regional characteristics.

Takizawa: Making a "wide variety" was pretty challenging. The four Divine Beasts were the dungeons in the last game, and they shared similar designs. This time, the dungeons are huge and each carry their own regional look and feel, just like traditional The Legend of Zelda games. We think they will provide a satisfying challenge for players. They were certainly a challenge to develop! (Laughs)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJ posted:

i don't disagree but a huge part of why BotW was praised was the exploration aspect. Yes all the shrines are new and in different places, and there are a ton of sidequests, but Zora's Domain is still Zora's Domain. You don't get the wow factor from discovering it the second time round. I haven't played Spiderman but Yakuza is another thing people compare it to, and i'd say the reason it isn't a big a deal in those games is because exploring Kamurocho isn't the main focus of the game, you buy the new one for the story and cutscenes and sidequests.

Another good comparison is Majora's Mask. That game reused all the assets from OoT but the map was different, the Zora didn't all live in the same place. it felt like a different game because of it.

I've still sunk dozens of hours into it, but there is no doubt the game would have been better if it was a new map.

So to you the game would be more fun if it had less content but the Zora lived somewhere else?

Exploration is tied to there being things where you explore. That matters more than two games in the sane setting using the same layout.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

WarpDogs posted:

This was already soft confirmed during previews, but Part 3 of the Ask the Developers is up and they finally say the D word

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/ask-the-developer-vol-9-the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-part-3/

We've only discussed the skies, but this title has its dungeons too, right?

Fujibayashi: Yes, we haven't talked about the dungeons yet. They've changed from the previous game. For example, there is a dungeon that connects directly from Hyrule's surface. If you dive from the sky straight into the dungeon, you'll trigger an event. We think this will be a new experience that wasn't possible in the previous game.

If this is what it sounds like - that you’ll be able to seamlessly enter dungeons without any loading screens - that will be pretty cool

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

superjew posted:

Thank you for clarifying! I'm obsessing over this too much and terrified of seeing something big in the spoiler thread. I blew all my gems on rupees that went to great fairy fountains and I don't even have the house yet.

I know someone who JUST got off the plateau on their first playthrough and is going to just...not play TotK or talk about it until they beat BotW. I am shocked and impressed.

It was years ago but I remember one person who had spent 200 hours just on the Great Plateau before leaving it. I wonder if they've finished yet?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I loaded up my 3 and a half year old BotW save for a little while the other day to get a feel for the controls. It's probably a good thing that I didn't do much exploring so the map will feel mostly fresh to me :shobon: Plus with all the new systems, I'm sure I won't even care that the locations are the same as stuff I played years ago.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm looking forward to seeing if the invisible borders are in the exact same areas on the map and want to try and make flying machines to check.

Less than 36 hours to go

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CJ posted:

I think it would be a mistake to play them back to back. With a few years gap the map being reused isn't as big of an issue because you forget a lot of the details. I can't imagine it would be very fun to spend dozens of hours scouring the map then to jump back in and do it again.

Yeah ideal is to have played BotW years ago and not have messed with it since. Gives the right fuzzy memory and timegap to match the new game.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CJ posted:

Lol no it's literally better than BotW in every regard if it's get 10s it's because it's loving fun

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Khanstant posted:

Yeah ideal is to have played BotW years ago and not have messed with it since. Gives the right fuzzy memory and timegap to match the new game.

Well I'm insane cause I beat BotW last Sunday and I'm still getting it.

tbf I barely touched side content, only 22% clear and I never even visited the southeastern region lol

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I've already played the game fully from start to end [spoiler]entirely within my imagination[s/poiler] and trust me, it's good

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

ImpAtom posted:

So to you the game would be more fun if it had less content but the Zora lived somewhere else?

Exploration is tied to there being things where you explore. That matters more than two games in the sane setting using the same layout.

Obviously it depends on what exact content we are talking about, but probably yeah. Like i'd happily give up the sky islands and some other stuff i'm not sure they talked about in previews if it meant the game was set on a new continent.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

CJ posted:

You actually remember maps? That poo poo just evaporates out of my brain as soon as I'm done with a game. Like I've re-played Resident Evil 4 remake 2.5 times now and I still get lost.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Thundercracker posted:

You actually remember maps? That poo poo just evaporates out of my brain as soon as I'm done with a game. Like I've re-played Resident Evil 4 remake 2.5 times now and I still get lost.

Not 100% because it was 6 years ago but i did do every shrine when i played it. Like i know the Rito town is in the northwest next to the mountain and can picture how it is laid out around a stone pillar, and the Zora town is in the east in a basin with waterfalls going up the mountain behind it. Same with all the landmarks like that mountain in the east that is split in two with the river running down the middle, and the jungle in the south, and Hateno town. I might not have been able to perfectly recreate the map like a savant but i have a general mental map, and once i see a place in game again it 99% returns.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

My preorder of TotK on Gamestop says it arrives May 15, but I'm pretty sure that it said it would be delivered the day it comes out on the 12. Anyone else?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJ posted:

Obviously it depends on what exact content we are talking about, but probably yeah. Like i'd happily give up the sky islands and some other stuff i'm not sure they talked about in previews if it meant the game was set on a new continent.

Welp, all I can say is that I'll take new content over spending a billion loving hours make wide empty areas over and over. Rockstar already sucked all the fun out of that.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My pro controller is in the mail :unsmith: I hope that the new Link Amiibo gets mailed soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i mean revisiting a familiar place and seeing how its changed or finding something completely new there is pretty appealing too