Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lowering my gamma to insane levels to truly experience dungeon darkness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would love Darkest Dungeons 1 & 2 if the combat wasn't so painfully slow.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I said come in! posted:

I would love Darkest Dungeons 1 & 2 if the combat wasn't so painfully slow.

I get that totally. I kinda like it being slow but yeah - there's a snappier version that could exist.

I've been enjoying Warriors of the Nile 2 - do the Disgaea games play anything like that? Tactical turnbased thing? I haven't played much of that kind of game before and I already own some Disgaeas from bundles and such.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Bad Seafood posted:

First I've heard of it, not that I doubt it's less popular than Higurashi. The anime bombed, but the anime adaptation was pretty poor. Do you have a link?

Apropos of nothing, I think the first game looks better (based on these screenshots). It's stylized and readable while grim and grungy; that screenshot from the sequel is too dim to see, and I'm not sure what I'm looking at with the bad guys.

That's because it's a low-resolution screenshot, not because of how the game actually looks. Just getting rid of the dumb bobblehead proportions alone makes it look better.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/606230/view/3714951026807796944

quote:

Thea 2: The Shattering - Rat Tales and More...
An upcoming free DLC update, featuring:

New events: Including a rat-centred tale, a Thea dating game and an invasion of foreign wizards and their flock.
New Rat classes: Just when you thought there’s enough rattiness in Thea, we give you the Tsarat, the Warrant, the Healrat, the Mystrat, and a cute, little baby rat!

:3:

:3: :3:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

haldolium posted:

it's not a good screenshot obviously, the games combat screen is fine and the 3D effects are imo very good.

Okay, that's much better. I still prefer the look of the first one, but this is much more respectable.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hell yeah, rat!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

zoux posted:

Lowering my gamma to insane levels to truly experience dungeon darkness

turn your monitor off

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

HopperUK posted:

I get that totally. I kinda like it being slow but yeah - there's a snappier version that could exist.

I've been enjoying Warriors of the Nile 2 - do the Disgaea games play anything like that? Tactical turnbased thing? I haven't played much of that kind of game before and I already own some Disgaeas from bundles and such.
It looks like Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom are more like it.

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa

Fwoderwick posted:

I'm incapable of reading this in anything other than Strong Bad's voice

Thank you now I'll be reading everything in Strong Bad's voice today.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Never heard of this game but I wish impulse bought that instead of Riftbound this morning - a sort of Plants VS Zombie deck builder ish kinda game.

The Roguelite mode feels way too hard, Campaign is okay but features become inexplicably active/inactive on random missions so far and in general the game just lacks a lot of polish. Like sometimes you can Evolve your plants, sometimes you can't and I have no idea why. Only 3.5 hours played but I'll give it a little longer but I'm not eager to get back to it.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

ymgve posted:

They could have done worse, they could have called it Darkest Dungeons

Pouring one out for Silent Hills

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Foul Fowl posted:

i would include marketing game features that aren't in the game under 'exaggerations and/or lies' (bethesda tends to be guilty of this for all their games) but maybe that's just me. i got burned by black & white 2 and fable 1 & 2 by the original bullshitter peter molyneux way back when so i learned my lesson early.

Ironically I don't think any of the Molyneux games had a big blow up on release, it was always a slow realization to disappointment.

The fastest way to an immediate angry reaction is to break fan expectations. Metroid is a shooter now. Instead of playing Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney you're playing Apollo Justice Ace Attorney. The next Supergiant game is not a beat em up but Magical Basketball. Should the fans be ignored sometimes? Probably. But pissing off the fans is always going to get this kind of backlash.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
The Dungeon Formerly Known As Darkest

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The most darkest dungeon....is man

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

you can only have ONE final fantasy

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kazil posted:

you can only have ONE final fantasy

Jokes on you, I am playing Final Fantasy 2, and Final Fantasy 8 right now.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Why can't they both be tied for darkest? Idiots

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

But then which is the dungeonest darkness?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

It can only be called Darkest if it comes from the Darkest region of France.

otherwise it's just sparkling blackness

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

waiting for dankest dungeon

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Was going to make a joke about the sequel to Lord of the Fallen being called Lords of the Fallen but then I looked it up and the original was already called Lords of the Fallen and the sequel is going to be called The Lords of the Fallen which is even dumber?

Best of luck to that studio. The first game was forgettable, hopefully they can blunder into making something good.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just played through Outer Wilds for the first time.
The base game is very good, despite somewhat disappointing ending.
The DLC on the other hand, had also pretty good story but the gameplay was loving atrocious.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

kazil posted:

It can only be called Darkest if it comes from the Darkest region of France.

otherwise it's just sparkling blackness

The franchise is actually known as The Maidenest Dungeon in the francosphere.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Was going to make a joke about the sequel to Lord of the Fallen being called Lords of the Fallen but then I looked it up and the original was already called Lords of the Fallen and the sequel is going to be called The Lords of the Fallen which is even dumber?

Best of luck to that studio. The first game was forgettable, hopefully they can blunder into making something good.

Hexworks previous game was the 2014 release of Lords of the Fallen. What have they been doing this entire time?

Orv
May 4, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Hexworks previous game was the 2014 release of Lords of the Fallen. What have they been doing this entire time?

Pretty sure the sequel-not-sequel is by a different studio entirely even.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Orv posted:

Pretty sure the sequel-not-sequel is by a different studio entirely even.

Searching on Google a bit more, and yeah I think you are correct. Thank you! Deck13 made the previous game, but they also made the Surge 1 & 2, which were really good souls-like action games.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I still wouldn’t be too potentially excited for The Lords of the Fallen because I also seem to remember them giving it to one studio initially and then eventually taking it away from that studio.

That said what they’ve shown in the last couple months does actually look kinda cool so I hope they get it right.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Foul Fowl posted:

i got burned by black & white 2 and fable 1 & 2 by the original bullshitter peter molyneux way back when so i learned my lesson early.

Yeah Molyneux definitively does lie although it took John Walker torpedoing his career to finally drive the point home :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think Molyneux is now involved in NFT poo poo with Richard Garriot.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
NFT? More like No Fucken' Thanks!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah Molyneux definitively does lie although it took John Walker torpedoing his career to finally drive the point home :v:

John Walker was from RPS back in the day, right? What did he do?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
He wrote a big exposé as I recall.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
IIRC more like an interview featuring probing questions like "You're a big liar ain'tcha? Why you such a big liar?"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

More like Peter Folie à Deux (in this case representing the shared psychosis between his creative overreach and the consumers who still believe in him)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it was not considered good journalistic practice to conduct the interview that way, but Peter deserved it for the absolute megalie that was the Kinect Milo demo

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

JLaw posted:

IIRC more like an interview featuring probing questions like "You're a big liar ain'tcha? Why you such a big liar?"

lol I thought there may have been some hyperbole here but nope, the very first question Walker asked him:

"RPS: Do you think that you're a pathological liar?"

Full article here if anyone else was curious like I was:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/peter-molyneux-interview-godus-reputation-kickstarter

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIbGnBQcJY

a reminder that this was presented by Peter as if it was a real thing, a real thing that they did, that existed and was real, and powered by the Xbox 360

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It definitely violated decorum and Walker will never get to interview anybody again but Molyneux deserved it.

IIRC the first winner of his cube game was supposed to get a cut of its profits. Some kid won and Molyneux never paid out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The 7th Guest posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIbGnBQcJY

a reminder that this was presented by Peter as if it was a real thing, a real thing that they did, that existed and was real, and powered by the Xbox 360

It was real