Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone know why autocorrect would just turn itself off? Seems like every day is a fun new bug in Android land!

Same but for swipe typing. Googled!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Never had either of those things happen before.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
its probably just a bias cause more people post here about their issues than whats going right but this thread makes me glad I have a Samsung and that I've never had all the issues some of you have the misfortune of running into every other day

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's funny because I went with a Pixel just because of the decades of hearing about the jank other companies stitch onto their flavor of Android.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

It's funny because I went with a Pixel just because of the decades of hearing about the jank other companies stitch onto their flavor of Android.

Exactly this- the Pixel 6 is my first and last one. Previously I was using some flavor of Samsung and samsung bloatware aside didn't have near the amount of problems I have with my current one.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Eight-Six posted:

Exactly this- the Pixel 6 is my first and last one. Previously I was using some flavor of Samsung and samsung bloatware aside didn't have near the amount of problems I have with my current one.

What sort of issues are you having?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Merry IOmas 2023 (2 hours to go)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNfINi5CNbY

May your day be unstructured and slightly too long

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I got a USB to USB-C cable but when I plugged my Pixel 6 into the car USB port, the phone charged but didn't recognize it was connected to the car. I tried the same thing with this cable plugging it into my PC, but the phone still didn't recognize it was connected. It charges but Windows can't see any connected device. Assuming the cable is good is there some obvious reason this might happen?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I got a USB to USB-C cable but when I plugged my Pixel 6 into the car USB port, the phone charged but didn't recognize it was connected to the car. I tried the same thing with this cable plugging it into my PC, but the phone still didn't recognize it was connected. It charges but Windows can't see any connected device. Assuming the cable is good is there some obvious reason this might happen?

Sound like that is a good power only cable.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

VictualSquid posted:

Sound like that is a good power only cable.

I mean, it's supposed to be a data cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08C262MJ5. Maybe not though?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Something about a duck with lips.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Vagrancy posted:

Merry IOmas 2023 (2 hours to go)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNfINi5CNbY

May your day be unstructured and slightly too long

Verge live blog if you need it: https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/10/23662125/google-io-2023-live-blog-updates-news

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

I understand this is a developer conference, but I feel like starting with at least one of the hardware things they are discussing would get half the people who are interested in watching, and then you can apply the AI discussion with how it works with those devices. I guess they are pushing for AI doing stuff outside of just their devices and platforms so it isn't like discussing their new processor hardware in the past.

But man this is a lot of AI is great we're great we'll be great also we're being very responsible!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What I learned so far is the Junior Bacon Cheeseburger is a tough nut to crack.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I have never been this bored with Google I/O before... I'm not sure if they really think only developers care about I/O or if they truly think this is what people actually want to see.

The AI stuff in Photos and Maps was cool but the rest seems boring especially for the audience there.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Android finally!

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

bull3964 posted:

What I learned so far is the Junior Bacon Cheeseburger is a tough nut to crack.
Honestly it is. As someone who has had to deal with chat bots (not even really advanced AI, just "hello I need to make a ticket for an error I have with this one program") end users talk in a normal flow that we're used to. "Yeah my session ABC45B is down can you fix it?" but the chat bot was never ever to parse that a session with a letter says exactly what we need to parse the information and kept flagging it as something they can't help with. Jargon and Slang really weird when people just want a simple discussion that requires you understand context that isn't there without a really powerful machine learning setup. JBC = Junior Bacon Cheeseburger is really simple to say, but there's going be more small things around what the ask if that ends up being hard to work with, this is just a simple for a person to understand what barrier might exist example.

I also think they are very heavy on AI because of the apparent large number of Government peeps there, which also might be why they are pushing how "responsible" they are being (or planning on being). When do they sample some Wargames clips as a joke?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
TheVerge's coverage of this is great

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is there a way to fix the image stabilization on a Pixel 6 Pro? If I record a video with optical zoom and image stabilization and I have an object centered in the center of the screen, the resulting video has that object off center to the bottom right.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

I have never been this bored with Google I/O before... I'm not sure if they really think only developers care about I/O or if they truly think this is what people actually want to see.

The AI stuff in Photos and Maps was cool but the rest seems boring especially for the audience there.

Hasn't it always been a relatively software/developer-focused event compared to the October product-focused one? I guess the more they bolt AI onto their products the more relevant this all is probably gonna be though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Hasn't it always been a relatively software/developer-focused event compared to the October product-focused one? I guess the more they bolt AI onto their products the more relevant this all is probably gonna be though.

Usually it's more software focused, yah but mostly that's on Android and some bits on AI but now it was like 60% AI and 35% Android... looks like it's 5% devices now.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

7A
https://store.google.com/product/pixel_7a
Tablet
https://store.google.com/product/pixel_tablet
Fold
https://store.google.com/product/pixel_fold

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The Pixel 6 doesn't want to connect to data at all, as I confirmed that an old broken phone works fine. Could this be an issue with the USB port? It charges ok but I have had to clean out some lint from the port and I could have damaged some contacts.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tablet and Fold ordered. Little annoyed that I couldn't use my $100 promo code on the Fold without knocking off the promotional Pixel watch, but I can use my 2nd code for accessories I suppose. My other $100 code went to the tablet.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

minusX posted:

I understand this is a developer conference, but I feel like starting with at least one of the hardware things they are discussing would get half the people who are interested in watching, and then you can apply the AI discussion with how it works with those devices. I guess they are pushing for AI doing stuff outside of just their devices and platforms so it isn't like discussing their new processor hardware in the past.

But man this is a lot of AI is great we're great we'll be great also we're being very responsible!

After watching too many of these year after year I think its more to do with Google inadvertently shipping their org chart. The Search/Ads + Cloud divisions have the greatest clout with the company (as making the bulk of the revenue tends to do) , giving them greater political control over the presentation. The Android portions are comparatively buried/rushed because comparatively its "just" a distribution vector for their services and the keynote isn't being weighted by developer/consumer impact. It's the major downside of Sundar's hands off approach. Like the time when the Search division did a hostile takeover of Google Now and all of the team rage quit

quote:

A former Googler who worked on Now recalled Pichai’s response to their protests: “‘Look, I’ve got a lot on my plate. Chrome and Android are my top priorities. Google Now is not on that. I can’t fight that battle for you.’”

(yes I'm still salty about Google Now -> Discover)

FAUXTON posted:

This excuse disappeared as soon as they started doing a separate developer keynote (just like WWDC), Google PR/marketing just sucks comparatively. AI is so prominent because Sundar sounded a Code Red ChatGPT klaxon so every product must AI your AI into your AI

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 10, 2023

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

They just sold a lot of phones

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Oh the trade-in offer is...rough for any pixel devices right now. $420 for 512 Pixel 7 Pro, $400 for 256?

I hope they announce a promo, it was better a week ago.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Any info on what the refresh rate of the screen is? Not seeing anything on the store page.

EDIT: Engadget in their hands-on are saying 60hz.

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 10, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

minusX posted:

Oh the trade-in offer is...rough for any pixel devices right now. $420 for 512 Pixel 7 Pro, $400 for 256?

I hope they announce a promo, it was better a week ago.

I mean, there is a promo, they are bundling a $350 watch.

Now, most of the people buying it probably already have the watch so I'm not saying it's a great deal, but there's a promo.

Thing isn't launching until the first week of July so if you are looking for a discount on it, it's probably not going to happen till the fall.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

MKBHD impressions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxDTitg2MeE

Seeing there that it's matte glass, very happy about that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I like the looks of the tablet but $700+tax is a lot of money. I don't think it's worth it :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

I like the looks of the tablet but $700+tax is a lot of money. I don't think it's worth it :(

I'm assuming that's Canadabucks because $499 including the base for the US is actually REALLY competitive.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The 7a seems like a better phone than the 7. That's...a strange choice.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the 7a has 90hz disabled by default, not a great omen for battery life

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What sort of issues are you having?

Small weird ones that I never anticipated, like every now and then the audio for dialing numbers on the phone app will stop and not happen again unless I restart the phone. I went from playing games and doing fieldwork on a Galaxy 8 to not playing any phone games on a Pixel, and it will occasionally struggle with memory between Youtube, Awful, and a few 2FA apps. It's not consistent and a restart usually clears it up but I never had to do this with a Galaxy. It's not enough to shunt me off to the apple ecosystem but enough to reconsider getting another Pixel.

edit: shame too, I like the style

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I'm assuming that's Canadabucks because $499 including the base for the US is actually REALLY competitive.

yeah sorry. Almost 800 here after tax. Can't justify that as cool as it is :(

e: fold is $2700 CAD after tax lol

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Do they make cases for foldable devices?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Considering that the trade-in value for my Fold 4 is roughly the same as what I paid for it on Swappa, I'm really tempted by the Pixel Fold now as the trade-in cuts the price almost in half.

Despite having owned it for only four months now, a lot of One UI's peculiarities and instability has worn thin on me and has me pining for stock-ish Android after my Surface Duo 2 suffered water damage that killed part of the touchscreen. I've actually had One UI completely lock up on me and become unresponsive and unusable leading to frantic attempts to power cycle it. On one occasion while trying to power cycle it, it inadvertently triggering the emergency distress mode and automatically calling 911 which I had to emphatically tell the operator that there is no emergency and that everything was perfectly fine aside from the phone making GBS threads itself. I mean, I'm glad that the distress mode and calling 911 works even though the phone was having an aneurysm but it was still embarrassing.

Also, the under-screen camera on the inner screen is absolute garbage and looks like poo poo. It's so bad that I never use it even for video calls opting to use the outer screen camera in spite of the outer screen's small size and peculiar aspect ratio.

Only noticeable downside I see going to the Pixel would be a downgrade in power as the Tensor G2 pales in comparison to the Snapdragon 8+ but it's at least comparable to the Snapdragon 888 on the Duo 2.

And even though I already have a Pixel Watch, I might as well jump on the offer and pawn it off.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

SyRauk posted:

Do they make cases for foldable devices?

Yes, they usually involve adhesive for the front part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Michael Fisher's hands on. Since he's the big foldable person, he has a lot vested in google doing well here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtdb2y1DQn8