Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inzombiac posted:

Have you played it already because what I've read from folks who have disagrees with you.

I have not. I hope they are right and I'm wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Augus posted:

i mean revisiting a familiar place and seeing how its changed or finding something completely new there is pretty appealing too

No sorry, we have to reinvent the wheel for every piece of media ever and can never go back

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Good Sphere posted:

My preorder of TotK on Gamestop says it arrives May 15, but I'm pretty sure that it said it would be delivered the day it comes out on the 12. Anyone else?

There was no way I'm in the market to wait 3 days. Had to do digital download lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I finished BOTW, I think I did like 90% of the content, thoroughly explored everything

The map was so big and varied that I can’t remember most of it now two years later, just the basics; plateau in the middle, desert in the southwest, etc.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica

mcmagic posted:

I have not. I hope they are right and I'm wrong!

Before you were exploring over a hill and finding a korok. Now you're finding a settlement, a person, a cave, a quest. The sense of exploration is even richer, unless you literally memorized the entire map this feels so fresh and new. It doesn't matter that some key locations are the same general geography because there are so many new locations that give you the same sense of wonder, and then it's neat to see how the established places have changed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Costco Meatballs posted:

Before you were exploring over a hill and finding a korok. Now you're finding a settlement, a person, a cave, a quest. The sense of exploration is even richer, unless you literally memorized the entire map this feels so fresh and new. It doesn't matter that some key locations are the same general geography because there are so many new locations that give you the same sense of wonder, and then it's neat to see how the established places have changed.

What you are describing sounds like a really good time and i'm going to spend hundreds of hours doing it but I don't think it's groundbreaking in the way I was describing before.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mcmagic posted:

What you are describing sounds like a really good time and i'm going to spend hundreds of hours doing it but I don't think it's groundbreaking in the way I was describing before.

It sounds epic op

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I've almost never used my Switch as a portable but probably will take it along with me to work to play a bit during down times- can we use bluetooth headphones/earphones with it?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I've almost never used my Switch as a portable but probably will take it along with me to work to play a bit during down times- can we use bluetooth headphones/earphones with it?

Extremely not recommended due to latency but it technically "works"

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Extremely not recommended due to latency but it technically "works"

Ugh, ok thanks.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I'm not saying the game is bad because it reuses the same map, it just would have been better with a new map.

From what i understand the game started as BotW DLC that grew too big, and it definitely has that feel of being BotW 1.75 rather than the next mainline Zelda game.

If you liked BotW you'll love it, if you had the common complaints with BotW you'll probably still have the same complaints because they double downed on them.

It's still a great game but more an 9 than a 10 imo.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the game is worth precisely 9.27/10, no more and no less. if you rate it over that you are a paid shill, if you rate it below that you are a blind hater and I will kill you

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I get the feeling the game is going to be marked down thanks to the limitations of the switch in 2023, so I'm not expecting this to review as well as BotW. I hope I'm wrong though.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yes, but it only uses the default codec, so latency is quite noticeable. You'll want either plug in headphones, or ones with a usb-c wireless dongle adapter, In which case you can't charge your Switch.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I played BotW another hour or two last night, explored the extreme northwest corner of the map and found four shrines I've never seen before, a hot spring and downed my first stahlnox.

Never did get the motorcycle, kill a molduga, or complete any of the trials in the Korok Forest. I don't know what I'll do tonight -- perhaps the last night I play BotW -- but I'm sure I'll discover something completely new. Game good.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

If you want to feel that way, is okay.

TOK is a second part in the sense Fallout 2 is a second part. Doom 2 is a second part. KOTOR 2 is a second part.

It takes one of the best games ever released, and raise the bar from that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is the sequel to Zelda: Breath of the Wild, per leakers

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CJ posted:

I'm not saying the game is bad because it reuses the same map, it just would have been better with a new map.

Wrong. There is a new map, and the game is better for having built on something familiar.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is the sequel to Zelda: Breath of the Wild, per leakers

Bullshit, since when?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Feels Villeneuve posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNJ1RHUnX9s

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Overbite posted:

The trumpet player?

Thank God someone got this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJ posted:

From what i understand the game started as BotW DLC that grew too big, and it definitely has that feel of being BotW 1.75 rather than the next mainline Zelda game.

If you liked BotW you'll love it, if you had the common complaints with BotW you'll probably still have the same complaints because they double downed on them.

It's still a great game but more an 9 than a 10 imo.

A game can always be 'better' because games inevitably have budget or time limitations. That is where the argument is weird. In an ideal world they can add everything in TotK and have a new map but adding a new map massively increases development time and cost, especially in a game with all the weird interconnecting systems BotW has.

That is why I think the content is more important. If the new content is good then I'd rather they focus on that instead of blowing development time on making a brand new open world just to have it.

Most of my favorite games reuse assets because it usually means they can focus on other poo poo. I hope TotK does that well, but poo poo Fuga 2 comes out tomorrow and it looks 90% recycled and I am still hype for it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 10, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Wrong. There is a new map, and the game is better for having built on something familiar.

Yeah there's an entire underground section and what looks like Wind Waker level of sky islands.

Also calling out the Switch's technological limitations as a reason to mark down a game is insane. Indie games released in 2023 that could run on 10-15 year old hardware aren't dismissed as inferior by default.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The switch is the most powerful console of all time

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The gently caress dude, this isn’t the spoilers thread :mad:

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Also i once again feel like saying the map is not new is disengenuious, its absolutely a new map with new features even on the ground, as we saw overtly in many trailers, and covertly from stuff seen way in the distance of said traikers. Its mostly the same geography, but the point is curiosity and discovery. The big advantage to familiar geography is when you go to somewhere that should be familiar and find it to not be.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Psssht you won’t get me to fall for such obvious clickbait Bullshit :smuggo:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

ImpAtom posted:

A game can always be 'better' because games inevitably have budget or time limitations. That is where the argument is weird. In an ideal world they can add everything in TotK and have a new map but adding a new map massively increases development time and cost, especially in a game with all the weird interconnecting systems BotW has.

That is why I think the content is more important. If the new content is good then I'd rather they focus on that instead of blowing development time on making a brand new open world just to have it.

Most of my favorite games reuse assets because it usually means they can focus on other poo poo. I hope TotK does that well, but poo poo Fuga 2 comes out tomorrow and it looks 90% recycled and I am still hype for it.

I get that but i don't think what we got instead is worth it. I like having side quests on top of the koroks and shrines to flesh out the world but i would have expected they could have done that with a new continent as well seeing how they already have all the assets from BotW and the engine already.

pentyne posted:

Yeah there's an entire underground section and what looks like Wind Waker level of sky islands.

Also calling out the Switch's technological limitations as a reason to mark down a game is insane. Indie games released in 2023 that could run on 10-15 year old hardware aren't dismissed as inferior by default.

Ok i didn't realise that the depths was talked about in previews. That's what i was referring. If the time they could have spent on a new continent was spent making the sky islands and depths i don't think it was worth it because they are boring compared to ground level.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Two witches for two days.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They spent time redoing the whole plain surface map though. It's the same map in the sense that my hometown was a dinky nowhere but actually it's just extended north Austin now and the ground isnt even the same and new poo poo is everywhere and old stuff gone.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
How does it feel knowing that one of, if not the best, gaming experiences you’ve ever had could be utterly eclipsed? Like, the most magical moment of BOTW is as filthy rags and there is no comparison. Is that even possible?

Nintendo says “just another Zelda”

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

This game is only a 3/10 because I still have to walk north to death mountain instead of south or something.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
North is whatever direction you're currently facing and never let a compass tell you otherwise

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
You should have your compass locked to north, makes it way easier to figure out where you're going.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Wait, you dweebs use the minimap? Pffft :smug:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Zoig posted:

Also i once again feel like saying the map is not new is disengenuious, its absolutely a new map with new features even on the ground, as we saw overtly in many trailers, and covertly from stuff seen way in the distance of said traikers. Its mostly the same geography, but the point is curiosity and discovery. The big advantage to familiar geography is when you go to somewhere that should be familiar and find it to not be.

Even if the map is new it still looks the same as BoTW and as another poster said, it started out as DLC for BoTW. Of course there is going to be a ton of new stuff to do but the skeleton of the game isn't going to be new and groundbreaking.

I'm 100% sure I will play the gently caress of this game and love it though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Groundbreaking sucks. BotW did the groundbreaking so TotK could build Six Flags

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica

mcmagic posted:

Even if the map is new it still looks the same as BoTW

It really, really does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costco Meatballs