Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Very well done, but no Jodie gives me the "Not My Doctor" vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

LividLiquid posted:

Very well done, but no Jodie gives me the "Not My Doctor" vibes.

She’s got several lines??

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

She’s got several lines??
I only heard the one, and no images despite every other Doctor, including Jo Martin, being represented. I'm likely wrong about why, but it's still very odd.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

LividLiquid posted:

I only heard the one, and no images despite every other Doctor, including Jo Martin, being represented. I'm likely wrong about why, but it's still very odd.

Here she is from the back. Do you think you’re looking for something to be annoyed by?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Another one!
https://twitter.com/BadWolfArchives/status/1656004238449803264?s=20

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They need to hire an editor who can upload a trailer that isn't all glitching out

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Khanstant posted:

They need to hire an editor who can upload a trailer that isn't all glitching out the specials online because I'm sick of waiting for them

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Here she is from the back. Do you think you’re looking for something to be annoyed by?

Nah, I've just been hurt rather a lot by the huge backlash against societal progress and sometimes I see dragons where there are only windmills.

Which may seem like a distinction with a difference to most, but said distinction very much matters to me.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Just saw Michelle Gomez on an episode of Law and Order SVU as a villain. My god that woman can act. I wish there was some way of her reprising Missy on screen again, I haven’t got up to her Big Finishes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There’s literally no reason the Masters have to appear in order.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

In fact it's a requirement that whatever they do is as confusing as possible, including to themselves!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Just saw Michelle Gomez on an episode of Law and Order SVU as a villain. My god that woman can act. I wish there was some way of her reprising Missy on screen again, I haven’t got up to her Big Finishes.

Her Big Finish stuff is great, but transcends to a whole other level in the eps with the Monk

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Is Ncuti Gatwa gonna have a different (real awesome) look each episode??

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1656343357931520022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's a goddamn Jon Pertwee outfit and he is loving rocking it :aaa:

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Is it normal for Dr.Who teasers to getting regular 7pm showings 6 months ahead of air date?

I don't even remember 10s original swan song getting this much hype.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

JoylessJester posted:

Is it normal for Dr.Who teasers to getting regular 7pm showings 6 months ahead of air date?

I don't even remember 10s original swan song getting this much hype.

This is the true power of RTD. No joke, he really understands how to produce a show and generate buzz.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I got a spec script for 3 Doctor Incarnations trying to raise a baby together and it might be theirs. Raising Arizona meets Three Men and a Baby and Doctor Who.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Khanstant posted:

I got a spec script for 3 Doctor Incarnations trying to raise a baby together and it might be theirs. Raising Arizona meets Three Men and a Baby and Doctor Who.

The plot twist? the baby is the Doctor as well

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Yannick_B posted:

Is Ncuti Gatwa gonna have a different (real awesome) look each episode??

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1656343357931520022

even if this is where the bigger budget is going to, I'd say it's well spent

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They're just having fun playing dress up with these people and that's okay too

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I am beyond hyped after seeing that photo. Why does time move so slowly???

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Khanstant posted:

They're just having fun playing dress up with these people and that's okay too

This is pretty much the television industry in a nutshell! Or it should be!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

There’s literally no reason the Masters have to appear in order.

Case in point, Missy's last episode!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

“3 hours to go”

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1657415152361443329

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Specials' titles revealed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpHEh5ZnQMo

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wow they shot them all out of order.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Why did this face come back? To say goodbye?
I'm prepared to be emotionally destroyed by these and I can't wait.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God I am so excited for Doctor Who :hellyeah::hf::neckbeard:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Feels like it’s been a while

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm not that excited for Tennent-3 since it feels like a pretty cheap tactic, but everything about Ncuti has been very exciting.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'd say it feels like a cheap tactic but it's also extremely on brand for that doctor. And doctor who in general really. If every actor were I mortal, we could expect a special with all of them periodically. You know they'd give a past doctors and companions another series too with the nuWho era if they could.

Also a planet where artists are immortal and it's next to impossible for new artists or art to break through, could be the nexus of a plot involving drama from someone looking to break that status quo. Just probably not with Tennant doctor lol

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Just finishing up this set: https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/torchwood-among-us-part-1-2232

And it's some of the best stuff BF (or Who, let's be honest) has made in ages. Lots of stories about technoparanoia, mob violence, and people laundering lovely prejudices via algorithms. Also has an amazingly wild gag involving an overly quirky app for self-driving cars that "deploys cars in response to user-determined signals". That's the set up. The punchline comes late in the story where a villain is trying to bump someone off by getting them paralytic and throwing them in front of a car. He of course decides to the cool new self-driving app system to do it, which leads to him breaking cover by very loudly and conspicuously screaming "sieg heil" in the middle of a busy London street.

I've said this before, but the Torchwood stuff is loving amazing. It's just not stuck in the past like so much of Doctor Who is these days, it feels like it's actually got things to say about the world as it is, and is often has decently smart takes on those issues too. Plus the stories often get decently emotional, have strong and interesting character arcs, make bold choices... I love it so so much.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Open Source Idiom posted:

Just finishing up this set: https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/torchwood-among-us-part-1-2232

And it's some of the best stuff BF (or Who, let's be honest) has made in ages. Lots of stories about technoparanoia, mob violence, and people laundering lovely prejudices via algorithms. Also has an amazingly wild gag involving an overly quirky app for self-driving cars that "deploys cars in response to user-determined signals". That's the set up. The punchline comes late in the story where a villain is trying to bump someone off by getting them paralytic and throwing them in front of a car. He of course decides to the cool new self-driving app system to do it, which leads to him breaking cover by very loudly and conspicuously screaming "sieg heil" in the middle of a busy London street.

I've said this before, but the Torchwood stuff is loving amazing. It's just not stuck in the past like so much of Doctor Who is these days, it feels like it's actually got things to say about the world as it is, and is often has decently smart takes on those issues too. Plus the stories often get decently emotional, have strong and interesting character arcs, make bold choices... I love it so so much.

Is there a primer on when this era? of Torchwood gets started and what's included? I've been put off of BF for a long time but I have heard a lot of good stuff about the recent Torchwood releases

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rochallor posted:

Is there a primer on when this era? of Torchwood gets started and what's included? I've been put off of BF for a long time but I have heard a lot of good stuff about the recent Torchwood releases

I've seen one or two around the Internet and I don't love them. Here's my low down, at least:

You've got a handful of ranges, but there's really only two kinds of releases:

1. The "Story Continues" sets, which are basically follow up seasons for the TV show. Though the stories themselves are self-contained, each season is heavily serialised, with the stories focused around a core group of mostly new regular characters. They're great, I love them, they're all interesting figures that the series manages to do a lot of work with. The stories themselves focus on contemporary issues and do a decent enough job of handling them, but the series also manages to have a decent amount of fun.

Not that there's a slightly controversial element to these, in that people were expecting slightly more significant appearances by the regulars (as were the writers, Eve Myles stepped away from recording the first season of these at the last minute, leading to significant restructuring of her arc when it turned out that she could only record for less than a day).

2. The monthly range. These stories are standalones that jump all over the timeline and usually feature only one regular. Many feature no regulars, and focus instead of aspects of the organisation as it existed in the past, or in the form that it eventually evolves into in the future. There are loose -- very loose -- arcs that occasionally crop up in these stories, but every story is completely inessential to understanding any other story and they can each be enjoyed as their own thing.

The tone of these vary wildly. There are action stories, spy thrillers, ironic camp, chamber pieces, horror stories, romances...

There are also occasional boxsets that crop up here and there, which give slightly more focus to one or two of the teams, or tell stories about Captain Jack. These are also mostly self-contained.

Basically just pick and choose what you feel like. They're mostly all pretty good, and if anyone tells you that the one where Gwen gets drunk and goes on a bender is a bad story then they're wrong. It's Speed but with alcohol, and then it's Speed with speed. It's amazing.

There's only ONE story from this range that's weirdly essential: Ghost Mission. It introduces a number of characters and elements that crop up in the main range, and it's the basis of the Torchwood Soho run of stories. It's great though, and Norton's a really fun character played by the guy who played Dirk Gently off that US Dirk Gently show.

Did that, uh, answer your question? Or did I misunderstand what you were looking for?

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 14, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

What does the Torchwood audios do about the Barrowman shaped hole in the range now?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

What does the Torchwood audios do about the Barrowman shaped hole in the range now?

They wrote him out off page and replaced his role in already written scripts with other characters.

The character was always loving off into space in the original series, so the characters just assume he's doing his own thing and just get on with it. The original characters were actually more important to the series than the legacy regulars anyway and they've all been written out now.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

"God Among Us" ended with Torchwood disbanding and everyone going off in the own direction so it's not really difficult to not include Capt Jack in the later series.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just got the first Doctor season two blu ray set and I popped in the first disk. And there's a reconstruction of Planet of Giants? What's that about? Put on the documentary about the reconstruction, the first thing that popped up is Ian Levine, and I went, "You know, it's okay. I'll just watch the original version."

FWIW, it's because the original story was cut down from four episodes to three, so there was an attempt to edit together an episode 3 and 4 based on the original script.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Random Stranger posted:

I just got the first Doctor season two blu ray set and I popped in the first disk. And there's a reconstruction of Planet of Giants? What's that about? Put on the documentary about the reconstruction, the first thing that popped up is Ian Levine, and I went, "You know, it's okay. I'll just watch the original version."

FWIW, it's because the original story was cut down from four episodes to three, so there was an attempt to edit together an episode 3 and 4 based on the original script.
Is that the one that's endlessly padded out with the same closeup of the villain's mad staring eyes? They did the right thing by compressing it, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Payndz posted:

Is that the one that's endlessly padded out with the same closeup of the villain's mad staring eyes? They did the right thing by compressing it, IMO.

I'm not sure. I really did stick with the original version. The impression I got was it was patched together badly, though.