Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

mitochondritom posted:

Well, he was straight over to this Java Moss. Have to see what the carnage is like in the morning.

That looks like 'lace-leaf' water sprite, java moss is dark green and does not grow from a stem like that.

EDIT: 404, good page snipe not found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I haven't found a plant that they won't eat, if they get hungry enough, but anubias and pothos seem to be their last choice. If you keep the snail well fed, they will usually leave living plants alone. They will prefer cooked/soft/partly decomposed plant and animal matter, but if none is available, they will start eating the most tender plant parts available. Frogbit roots are a good indicator. When they start disappearing, feed the snails more.

Eta, I forgot, jungle Val is another one they seem to leave alone, even trimmed leaves that I threw in the snail tub was left alone

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 8, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I was told that scuds will not eat live healthy plants.

Lies.

Or hard leaf plants like anubias or java fern.

Also lies.

They certainly won't make an indent in your duckweed!

Guess what?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Wandering Orange posted:

That looks like 'lace-leaf' water sprite, java moss is dark green and does not grow from a stem like that.

EDIT: 404, good page snipe not found.

Interesting. It was sold to me as Java Moss, but maybe the shop doesn't have a clue or it was mislabeled.

Seems like cucumber might be the answer. He's had several feasts on this in the past few hours.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would straight up switch fish shops if they told you that was java moss

If you flip through my last 30 posts or so you can see what java moss looks like if left to grow unchecked. It's great stuff I can't get enough of it

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Hadlock posted:

I would straight up switch fish shops if they told you that was java moss

If you flip through my last 30 posts or so you can see what java moss looks like if left to grow unchecked. It's great stuff I can't get enough of it

I CAN get enough of it. I'm going to have to chop out half or else it'll take over the tank.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Lareine posted:

I CAN get enough of it. I'm going to have to chop out half or else it'll take over the tank.

Or you can ship it to me 😁 I'm in AZ though, and I don't know if it's legal to ship it outside of whatever state you're in.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

hello aquarium friends

i've got a 65g with 2 angels, 9 harlequin rasbora, 6 cories, and 8 zebra nerite snails. i've got a little room to expand (it's pretty overfiltered, got a penn plax cascade 1200) - got any suggestions? right now i'm thinking of either growing the rasbora and cory hordes or getting some swordtails.

Dong Swanson
Jan 25, 2010
Maybe a school of tetras your angelfish won't eat? Or some Shrimp?

I heard back from the guy i got the pleco from, apparently she is a 'King Tiger Pleco' L066. She's been a lot more active since I added the slate yesterday. She explored every corner of the tank yesterday and seems as curious about me as I am about her.

Dong Swanson fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 9, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I own a pool now, in addition to my fake fish pond

Plugged a pool test strip (approx $0.02) into my pond out of curiosity, ph came up 6.4 :ohdear:

I already have a half a cuttlefish bone in there and it's slowly disintegrating, slightly surprised it's not helping push the ph closer to 7

All these fish are pretty hardy species

Found out last week Leslie's pool supply does free water testing. Half tempted to drop off a pond sample and see if my test strip was at all accurate

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Dammit! The fish have clouded up their tank again

https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2...NrFzZ/giphy.mp4

I can't believe how bad it gets and then its gone again in a couple of days. It doesn't even smell like anything, it's crazy.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Got a red dwarf lily bulb from Aquarium Coop and was happy that it started sprouting quickly. Then this happened.

Pictures online didn’t exactly prepare me for foot-long stems. Not sure if that means it’s not getting enough light.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Found 3 baby guppies hanging out. Just got a couple of guppies like 2 weeks ago. P stoked

(baby guppy photog is hard)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

z0331 posted:

Got a red dwarf lily bulb from Aquarium Coop and was happy that it started sprouting quickly. Then this happened.

Pictures online didn’t exactly prepare me for foot-long stems. Not sure if that means it’s not getting enough light.

no, this is 100% normal. My nymphaeas go thru periods where they mostly put out bushy short stems and then they throw out a couple long boys with floaters that crowd the water surface.

Sometimes I clip them if they make too many and they block too much light, more often I don’t and they quickly die off and the fish eat them. You can cut the stems with aquascapjng scissors if you don’t like them, and/or leave them if you do.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Sockser posted:

Why won’t my shrimp come out of hiding and eat any of the delicious varieties of shrimp food I’ve bought?

I want to see my scramps scrambling :mad:

I also have no idea how many I have left. I know at least one managed to jump out, but I scooped him back in hours later and he was fine. I think I counted at least seven when I did a tank clean yesterday, which is definitely down from the 15 I started with.

Two dead shrimp in as many days :(

I've been putting like four or five different types of food in the tank, and I did have a pretty good brown algae going when I first got them, so they had that to graze on, but do you think they've just been cannibalizing eachother or something hiding in the recesses of my driftwood or something?
I did have at least one escapee several weeks ago but I plopped him back in and he's still around, but I've definitely lost at least 10 shrimp or so from where I started

I am a bad shrimp keeper :(

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Sockser posted:

Two dead shrimp in as many days :(

I've been putting like four or five different types of food in the tank, and I did have a pretty good brown algae going when I first got them, so they had that to graze on, but do you think they've just been cannibalizing eachother or something hiding in the recesses of my driftwood or something?
I did have at least one escapee several weeks ago but I plopped him back in and he's still around, but I've definitely lost at least 10 shrimp or so from where I started

I am a bad shrimp keeper :(

What kind of shrimp do you have?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

no, this is 100% normal. My nymphaeas go thru periods where they mostly put out bushy short stems and then they throw out a couple long boys with floaters that crowd the water surface.

Sometimes I clip them if they make too many and they block too much light, more often I don’t and they quickly die off and the fish eat them. You can cut the stems with aquascapjng scissors if you don’t like them, and/or leave them if you do.

I wasnt going to comment since i dont have this exact variety, but the type i have put out both types as well, about 50/50

I would imagine the long boi stem leaves collect more light and oxygen and are quite beneficial, but also get damaged more easily which is why it also has the shorter ones. Just guessing

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Weembles posted:

What kind of shrimp do you have?

mix of ghost shrimp and neocardinas

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Ok Comboomer posted:

Interesting! I'll probably keep them for now. As it is, the water sprite is much more likely to blot out the sun anytime soon.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Sockser posted:

Is it neos or ghost shrimp dying? it's pretty easy to overfeed shrimp, you want to keep things as stable as possible and adding a bunch of food to a newish tank doesn't help. I don't think you're dumping 5 types of food at once in your tank but I can't overstate it is really really easy to overfeed, especially in a newish or smaller tank that might not be sufficiently bioactive to consume excess food safely. Also, new shrimp can be carrying the stresses of their former lives and drop dead from stuff that happened to them weeks ago too, you can't always tell how healthy a shrimp is when you buy it. The best shrimp are the shrimp that breed and grow in your own tank, in conditions that you can supply and keep stable for them. If this is still fairly early on in your shrimp keeping experiences don't panic too much. Your tank will take time to mature, it takes time to get a feel for correct feeding and maintenance, and your weakened or unhealthy shrimp will die while the strong survive and breed. Keep your water quality clean and stable and wait it out. If you change anything, change one thing at a time and then wait and see what happens.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Sockser posted:

Unless you bought them from a specialty breeder, I'd consider ghost shrimp are basically in the same class as feeder goldfish. They can be one of any number of different species that have different needs, they're often overbread, and they just aren't meant to live for very long. If you keep losing them, you probably just got a bad batch and I wouldn't worry too much if everything else looks fine.

If you're losing a lot of neocardinas, then that's a different matter. Those little guys are usually pretty hard to kill. The only think that really stresses mine out are huge water changes and when I move them to a new tank.

Don't worry if your shrimp are hiding. If they're well fed then they'll just wander off and you'll only see a few at a time. You also don't need to feed them all that much or that often, especially in mature tanks with lots of algae and biofilm. Try taking any food you've added out and leaving it for two or three days and then putting in a slice of blanched zucchini or an algae wafer. That should bring them out.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Tank was established in early Feb, has a bunch of white skirt tetras in it

Shrimp added about a month ago, was a half dozen ghost shrimp and then I added 10 neos. Maybe overstocked them?

When I say "lost"
What I mean is ... I don't know where they are!
Maybe they're alive and hiding, maybe the jumped out and are behind the tank where I can't see, maybe they got ate, maybe they're burrowed into the substrate

I've only seen 2 actual dead ones

But I definitely saw them hanging out a lot more in the first week or so after getting them than I do now

As far as feeding, I pretty much never see them go for any of the food I put in the tank. They seem to prefer any of the fish flakes that make it to the bottom. And the tank is set up right next to my desk, where I'm sitting for 14 hours a day or whatever, so I should be seeing them poke out if they're coming for the food I'm giving them

e:
oh hey, two of them hanging out on the empty side of the tank at the same time
...grazing on the substrate rather than hopping into the food bowl

Sockser fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 10, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Sockser posted:

Tank was established in early Feb, has a bunch of white skirt tetras in it

Shrimp added about a month ago, was a half dozen ghost shrimp and then I added 10 neos. Maybe overstocked them?

When I say "lost"
What I mean is ... I don't know where they are!
Maybe they're alive and hiding, maybe the jumped out and are behind the tank where I can't see, maybe they got ate, maybe they're burrowed into the substrate

I've only seen 2 actual dead ones

But I definitely saw them hanging out a lot more in the first week or so after getting them than I do now

As far as feeding, I pretty much never see them go for any of the food I put in the tank. They seem to prefer any of the fish flakes that make it to the bottom. And the tank is set up right next to my desk, where I'm sitting for 14 hours a day or whatever, so I should be seeing them poke out if they're coming for the food I'm giving them

A rule of thumb is that, unless you're tearing the thing apart looking for them, at any given time more shrimp will be hiding somewhere out of sight than ones you can easily see. If they were more visible that initial week, it's because they hadn't found their ideal hiding places yet.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Tetras are predatory to shrimp, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some snack attacks and it would also explain why shrimp are hiding!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
To add on to that, lots of shrimp that are sold as ghost shrimp are actually freshwater prawns and we'll go after other shrimp. I actually once lost a very friendly Cory cat that would come to the surface and let me pet his nose to what I was sold as a ghost shrimp, but he ended up getting about two inches long.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

Found 3 baby guppies hanging out. Just got a couple of guppies like 2 weeks ago. P stoked

(baby guppy photog is hard)

Congratulations on your upcoming mighty hoard of guppies

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Get some moss for your cherry shrimps if you can't find any wacky water parameters that are killing them. It gives them the best place to hide and it holds biofilm that they like to eat. I bought shrimp food online (Bacter AE) but i stopped feeding it to mine ages ago. Just leftovers and moss biofilm and they thrive. Everyone else uses java moss but I was dumb and got flame moss and it requires a lot of trimming or it will take over your tank.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
I have my new shiny 20 gallon tank, been cycling for two weeks. Added a bunch of plants and now i have like 30 snails, how do i prevent them from getting put of control?

Should i see some cycling progress after like 2 weeks? My ph is at 7, which seems ok.

Also somehow a fry of some sort is in my tank all by its lonesome but im not sure it’ll survive since teh ammonia is at like 4ppm while i cycle.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

St. Blaize posted:

I have my new shiny 20 gallon tank, been cycling for two weeks. Added a bunch of plants and now i have like 30 snails, how do i prevent them from getting put of control?

Should i see some cycling progress after like 2 weeks? My ph is at 7, which seems ok.

Also somehow a fry of some sort is in my tank all by its lonesome but im not sure it’ll survive since teh ammonia is at like 4ppm while i cycle.

Too late. They are there and now they will breed.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Guppies: worse than duckweed

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

St. Blaize posted:

You have a few options. If you want to completely annihilate them, there are chemical options, but these are kind of the nuclear option. If you want to specifically exterminate the pest snails but don't mind having snails in general, you can always introduce a half-dozen Assassin Snails. These eat other snails, and if you establish a breeding population they will rid your tank of the other snails in about a month. After that, you'll have a significantly smaller population of somewhat prettier snails that'll just sorta hang out in the substrate eating mulm and fish food or whatever.

It might be advisable to merely manage your snail pop without just exterminating them though, as they do an excellent job taking care of algae and biofilm and other detritus they constantly scavenge. Make sure to avoid overfeeding, as their population booms when given an abundance of food. If you want to cull their numbers, periodically put a lettuce leaf or slice of zucchini in the tank for a couple hours, then just take it out once it's covered in snails and throw it away.

Dong Swanson
Jan 25, 2010
What the gently caress is this?

I take the coconut out, scrub it down and it comes back within a day. It's only on the coconut and nowhere else on the tank.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Dong Swanson posted:

I take the coconut out, scrub it down and it comes back within a day. It's only on the coconut and nowhere else on the tank.

Is the coconut new? If it is, some types of natural materials just do that for a while after you first put them in It stops eventually.

Dong Swanson
Jan 25, 2010

Weembles posted:

Is the coconut new? If it is, some types of natural materials just do that for a while after you first put them in It stops eventually.

I've had it for about a year, it seems to come back quicker when I have the lights on more often.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Dong Swanson posted:

Yeah I had that with a piece of old driftwood. Took it out, scrubbed it down, put it back in, covered in white fuzzy crap. I think washing it exposes a previously covered nutrient rich surface to the water, causing a bacterial bloom. It's harmless and should go away on its own in a while after the nutrients run out and the bacteria die off.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Dong Swanson posted:

I've had it for about a year, it seems to come back quicker when I have the lights on more often.

It might be starting to break down a bit and has picked up some algae or fungus. Boiling it for a few minutes should kill off anything that's worked its way into the shell.

Dong Swanson
Jan 25, 2010
Thanks glad to know its nothing to worry about.

Edit: I'll try boiling it as well, if I can without killing the anubias on top, cheers

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Weembles posted:

It might be starting to break down a bit and has picked up some algae or fungus. Boiling it for a few minutes should kill off anything that's worked its way into the shell.

Boil it for like 8-10 minutes. That'll kill not just everything on the surface but also everything under the surface.

Whatever grows on it after that is coming from the tank, and will probably just go away after it develops the same biofilm covering everything else in the tank.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pond V2 going ok, pond is pretty healthy but as the temp came up from the 60s and briefly touched 90 yesterday the pond turned into a green soup of planktonic algae. I'd pre-ordered a 15w uv light pond pump thing which is probably roughly correctly sized for the pond. I'm on day 4 with the pump and I can occasionally see the bottom of the pond already

I have to say of the four varieties of fish I have, the rosy red minnows are at best a D- for a pond fish. I guess I only have ten in my ~125 gallon (150 to the top) stock tank but they basically never come outside and I haven't really seen them

The golden topminnows get a B- as they're frequently near the top but despite the name they're olive green and difficult to see unless you're looking for them

Goldfish are... They're goldfish but after their buddy got eaten by a hawk (a year ago) they are like the rosy reds and typically go into hiding

Rice fish (medaka) are A+ pond fish they're always active, easy to see, and rarely scare, they're the perfect sub 1000 gallon pond fish IMO I don't understand why they're not sold everywhere they're super hardy and great fish in general

Apparently it takes about 10 days to see a significant effect on algae and closer to two weeks to see excellent water clarity. My guess is that it takes about that long for the rest of the system to "level up" and pick up the slack on nutrient uptake that the algae are no longer doing, and keep it from growing back so fast. This location also gets full sun for about 4+ hours a day which isn't helping. The V1 sat at the base of both a giant magnolia tree (giant broad leaves) and a Japanese maple which was mostly full shade except an hour or two in the morning and late evening

Gonna do about a 30% water change to give the "pond" a little breathing room as the temp came way up and it's definitely still cycling even though I dumped two different bottles of "instant cycle" in there and I'm still periodically dosing with 1-2ml of ammo(nia) lock, probably wouldn't hurt it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Did a tank clean on wednesday night. Counted 7 shrimp, minimum.

Went away for the weekend, came back, didn't see any shrimp. Not even my cool ghost buds that like to hang out.

Did some digging, located two remaining orange neos, possibility of a blue one hiding real good in the black gravel, but also found just the head of a third neo.

Assuming my tetras got hungry while I was gone. Welp.