Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The 7th Guest posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIbGnBQcJY

a reminder that this was presented by Peter as if it was a real thing, a real thing that they did, that existed and was real, and powered by the Xbox 360

Microsoft are as much to blame to be honest. The last couple of years of the 360 were painful with this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Holy poo poo that RPS interview :blastu:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That RPS article is a bit harsh, Molyneux is absolutely not a trust worthy person though, but still.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
John Walker is fail so I stand with Peter Molyneux

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If I could talk to Seaman on my Dreamcast in 2000 then I believe that Milo is real.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I enjoyed dungeon keeper and b&w, don’t really care what promises was missing in them.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Sab669 posted:

Never heard of this game but I wish impulse bought that instead of Riftbound this morning - a sort of Plants VS Zombie deck builder ish kinda game.

Thea is a cute game, though it's also kind of hard.

It's a kind of fantasy post-apocalypse, one city challenge civ, turn based battle thingy with a strong focus on little stories. Quite weird, and it takes a while to figure out how to not gently caress up. It also takes a while to figure out how to acquire the really weird characters to your party. You start with boring humans.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Peter Molyneux is a shill for NFTs now, so he still sucks either way.

Also the fact that Godus is still being sold on Steam as early access, is proof that Peter was not answering that interview in good faith.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 10, 2023

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm still mad that the PC never got Fable 2.

I think? We got Fable 3? But then it fuckin disappeared?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Deakul posted:

I'm still mad that the PC never got Fable 2.

I think? We got Fable 3? But then it fuckin disappeared?

You can buy codes on Amazon but to get it working on Win10 it takes a ton of workarounds.

Fable 2 was the GOAT easily, best by far, and it should been the prototype for tons of open world games but it just sort of went nowhere.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah I think Fable 3 is no longer available on PC for some reason. Just Fable 1 remaster. The series can be played on Xbox Game Cloud though.

The reason why I am hopeful for Fable 4 is that it is being developed by Playground Games, the Forza Horizon people.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Fable 2 had it flaws but your main companion was a dog so its a GOAT tier game to me.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
drat new Humble bundle just dropped.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/capcom-heroic-collection

Capcom Heroic Collection. 24 GBP, not sure other currencies.

Monster Hunter Rise
Street Fighter 30th Anniversay Collection
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy
Mega Man 11
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Mega Man Legacy Collection
Mega Man Legacy Collection 2
Lost Planet 3 Complete Pack
Strider
Bionic Commando: Rearmed

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

$30 usd

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

I've never played a Monster Hunter before. Are they any fun to play solo?

I've always assumed they were intended for co-op so I never dipped a toe in.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah monster hunter world and rise both scale (almost) everything to solo and they’re perfectly enjoyable that way.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Objective Action posted:

Solo is great but you can also jump into a party with random people for specific hunts when you want and in my experience almost always get put into a group right away where nobody has to say a word and everybody just knows what to do.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Thanks, I will give it a shot then since I wanted the Ace Attorney games on PC anyway!

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Somewhere out there is that kid who won Molyneux's Curiosity game, where the mystery grand prize was to be "God of Gods" in Godus and supposedly to receive 1% of the revenue the game made.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Rebel Blob posted:

Somewhere out there is that kid who won Molyneux's Curiosity game, where the mystery grand prize was to be "God of Gods" in Godus and supposedly to receive 1% of the revenue the game made.

He won the prize of a Unique Lie, just for him.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Objective Action posted:

I've only played World and I preferred it solo. The co-op in that game is fine, but if you're doing the main questline it is absolutely abysmal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Was black and white molyneux? I guess he oversold the AI stuff but it was still fun.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Sokani posted:

I've only played World and I preferred it solo. The co-op in that game is fine, but if you're doing the main questline it is absolutely abysmal.

Rise is a lot better about it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

kazil posted:

Rise is a lot better about it.

Agreed. World and Rise are both great games but Rise respects your time way more than World, imo.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

zoux posted:

Was black and white molyneux? I guess he oversold the AI stuff but it was still fun.

Yep.

That interview was absolutely brutal and pretty much killed two careers, but also very funny.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ZearothK posted:

Yep.

That interview was absolutely brutal and pretty much killed two careers, but also very funny.

Yeah frankly I respect the lack of soft-shoeing even though it was a bit of a car crash. gently caress it, call a liar a liar

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Black & White 1&2 and Fable 1&2 are all great, but heavily flawed, games

Molyneux has my protection, tread carefully

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I interviewed Molyneux once too, wish I had the balls back then to ask serious questions but I was young and stupid. Also there were 3 microsoft people sitting behind him trying to put holes in my brain with their stares. Did still ask why Fable was only Xbox exclusive and Molyneux got very weird trying to evade the question.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

zoux posted:

Also the god like beings could poop on the villager NPCs.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

I played the poo poo out of "The Movies" which was a Lionhead Game. I don't know if Molyneux had anything to do with it but it was a rad idea. It seems like a lot of management/god game developers get caught in the trap of overpromising their dreams because they want it to be real so bad but just can't deliver it. Lionhead was also working on a game called B.C. at one point that was supposed to be this Tribe management game I think, I don't think it got very far and Lionhead eventually collapsed.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

From last page, but

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Was going to make a joke about the sequel to Lord of the Fallen being called Lords of the Fallen but then I looked it up and the original was already called Lords of the Fallen and the sequel is going to be called The Lords of the Fallen which is even dumber?

Best of luck to that studio. The first game was forgettable, hopefully they can blunder into making something good.
Maybe it's worse because they're actually both just called Lords of the Fallen and the only differentiator is the year. They've now tacked "2014" onto the end of the first one on Steam to distinguish them. I feel like I've seen other examples of this in the past.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

It definitely violated decorum and Walker will never get to interview anybody again but Molyneux deserved it.

IIRC the first winner of his cube game was supposed to get a cut of its profits. Some kid won and Molyneux never paid out.

I don't know if Moluneux believed all that stuff himself or if he actually is a pathological liar or both but he definitely deserved that. The interviewer knew that Godus is not going to get made and as I understand it, it's pretty much vaporware at this point.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Bionic Commando: Rearmed

I don't know if the multiplayer is active but until 2018 SpiderMan this game had the absolute best swinging traversal.

The MP was like 8 spidermen with guns flinging themselves around buildings trying to shoot each other.

The ending is also hilarious and insane in the way only that dark grunge era of x360 storytelling was.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Black & White 1&2 and Fable 1&2 are all great, but heavily flawed, games

Molyneux has my protection, tread carefully

i have fond memories of them, especially black and white, and i think they were good but he said so much insane poo poo about these games. reading about his games in video game magazines was like shot of a lab-grown super strain of pure video game hype, so powerful that it inoculated me against all future claims of sixteen times the detail and persistent online worlds. okay i changed my mind, the man is a hero.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

I played the poo poo out of "The Movies" which was a Lionhead Game. I don't know if Molyneux had anything to do with it but it was a rad idea. It seems like a lot of management/god game developers get caught in the trap of overpromising their dreams because they want it to be real so bad but just can't deliver it. Lionhead was also working on a game called B.C. at one point that was supposed to be this Tribe management game I think, I don't think it got very far and Lionhead eventually collapsed.

Yeah B.C. was an open world RPG for original Xbox that was canceled. I was sad about that one never coming out.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Grog posted:

From last page, but

Maybe it's worse because they're actually both just called Lords of the Fallen and the only differentiator is the year. They've now tacked "2014" onto the end of the first one on Steam to distinguish them. I feel like I've seen other examples of this in the past.

Looks like the articles I found are outdated and they made it even worse. The main parallel I can think of is Doom and Doom 2016, but there were a bunch of games and decades of time between those so using the same name kind of makes sense if you're looking to reboot the series. Lords of the Fallen was generally considered a bad game and now they're making a direct sequel with exactly the same name.

Not really the same scenario but maybe it will end up like Prey and Prey, where Prey was forgettable but Prey was really good.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

The Movies is my white whale reboot/remaster that I know will never happen because Lionhead doesn't exist anymore and it sucks. It was pretty ahead of it's time with sharing clips and stuff, you just had to do it to Youtube. There's a game slated for "2023" called Blockbuster Inc. that looks like it might come close to replicating that experience but the trailer doesn't show any of the actual movie making stuff which was pretty integral to my enjoyment of The Movies along with the management stuff so jury's still out. Something to keep an eye on though!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I feel extremely old because I associate Molyneux with his golden era at Bullfrog. He was involved in some of my favourite games (Populous, Theme Park, Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate) before he started huffing his own farts.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sean Cooper deserves most of the credit for syndicate fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I always took Molyneux as a bullshitter who genuinely believes his own bullshit. He's just so drat excited and when someone mentions some idea and he immediately yes-ands it.

That's why the RPS interview feels a bit like kicking a puppy. He's just so drat excited at all the great things he assuredly will help bring to fruition, and he can't help it.

Maybe that's falling for Molyneux' game, and he's a calculating bullshit artist. I think that's a fair opinion to have.

I just think the games journalism industry has been very complicit in building Molyneux up, and then tearing him down. He shouldn't have received the unquestioning hype in the first place, he shouldn't have received as much funding, and he should've been forced to actually build things for real. It all leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.