Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Three penultimate track, which was a heavily reworked gospel song and transitioned into the title track.

I think MSotS starts a little weak (Settle Down and Declarations of Faith both have their moments but are kinda filler-y), but it just builds up so much that when you hit Yeah and Baby Let's Rock you're committed.

Probably some of Jimmy's finest work, too. There's a big drum fill during the guitar solos in the title track that just keeps going into the next few bars, always gives me chills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

hatelull posted:

I feel ok about passing on it though. He can have my money if the Machina box set ever sees the light of day. I think I remember enjoying ZWAN but since that album isn't on Spotify and I long since unloaded all my CD's I can't remember much about it other than the last track being a rager?

looks like the whole thing is on youtube, although I donno what the audio quality is: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLy1F0NPv5gpEuzWvtt774-NFodJDnaTY

Baron von Eevl posted:

There's a big drum fill during the guitar solos in the title track that just keeps going into the next few bars, always gives me chills.

This is one of my favorite Chamberlain moments of all time

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

CherryCola posted:

Didn't Daphne Descends get some attention, too? I remember there being like a short remix album or something? Or was that a B-side to a different single...

I love Daphne Descends.

There was this awesome remix on the Perfect single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rX6VobOHaM

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'll be forever lolling at the Puffy remix of Ava Adore, when rumor of it leaked there was a huge backlash and the band came out to be like, "what? No, we didn't do that" and then it was released with the box set.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I've listened to both Act I & II previously. But I decided to listen from beginning to end today....now that it's been released in its entirety. In my opinion.....this is a good single album with two extra albums worth of fluff packed in-between. So I guess I'm not going to ding it too much because of the extra fluff. That's just an annoyance that makes me more likely to cherry pick the tracks I like and forget that a full album exists on my shelf.

Seriously....Corgan has to have people around him begging him to ditch the heavily synth usage. A lot of the fluff tracks can't even really be considered "interesting" because they all sound so much like other tracks on the album. Also....nobody wants a "rock opera". Save the fluff for a deluxe edition.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
God remember how bad his solo album was? You’re right, he needs people to say loving STOP sometimes.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

CherryCola posted:

God remember how bad his solo album was? You’re right, he needs people to say loving STOP sometimes.

This is the biggest problem with everything the last 10 years, really. The name Smashing Pumpkins is still big enough to get attention but not big enough to have anyone else involved give enough of a poo poo to try and curb all of Billy's bad tendencies and turn out a decent record.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Pitchfork posted:

Over 33 songs and two-plus hours, he presents the saga of Shiny, a has-been rocker (and incarnation of a character known on Machina as Glass, and on Mellon Collie as Zero) exiled into space for unspecified thoughtcrimes. As Shiny makes his unexpected return to Earth, a cadre of admirers and hackers desperately tries to remind the public of his significance, while the perfidious ruling class schemes to co-opt him for its own ends.

I clearly haven't been paying enough attention to the lyrics on this thing.

They gave it a 6.3, which is probably supremely "meh" by their standards.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/smashing-pumpkins-atum/

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

hatelull posted:

They gave it a 6.3, which is probably supremely "meh" by their standards.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/smashing-pumpkins-atum/

hahahahhahahahahahaahhahaha

Oh William

as subtle as always

"thoughtcrimes" lmfaoooo

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I wonder if that character is bald...

Also, WHAT THE gently caress:

quote:

ATUM (pronounced, maddeningly, like the season)

Kinda tempted to hate-listen to it at this point given how that review describes the album but it also completely threw me by comparing the one track I have heard (Empires) to Muse, which is insane since Muse is way more bombastic with more versatile songwriting, much better singing and some phenomenal guitar work.

My eye twitched when reading the section of the review where Corgan claims the next SP album will be a traditional rock record that sounds like Siamese Dream. How many times has he said this now? He can't keep getting away with it!!!!!11!!11!1!!!

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

drat, every time i see new posts in this thread i have to go listen to the "remixed vocal edit" of Bleeding The Orchid from Zeitgeist. it's good!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-RRUIQv0Ls&t=419s

and then i have to listen to Chrysanthemum by Zwan, an objectively perfect song?!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfaeOnSHq2c

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, it's a shaker chrysanthemum never got a studio takeour seemingly survived past their first few shows. It was an early favorite, reckons me a bit of Stars Fall In from the early SP days.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
This fuckin guy

https://twitter.com/jeradwalker/status/1416834286783664128?s=46&t=QZNxAVdP_tGGb8c3SwIz0w

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, it's a shaker chrysanthemum never got a studio takeour seemingly survived past their first few shows. It was an early favorite, reckons me a bit of Stars Fall In from the early SP days.

"Glorious" and "What Have They Done to Me" got me super excited listening to bootlegs. I still enjoyed MSotS, but those given the studio treatment would have been :discourse:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

hatelull posted:

A lot of bands can go on to make music late in their career that I don't like, but it takes someone like Billy Corgan to release new music that actually taints my perspective on the album that literally got me into music almost 30 years ago.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I wonder how many classic albums could be compiled from tracks Billy never recorded or released. There's a fan-made compilation of unreleased Zwan live recordings and IIRC its like 50+ songs as well as at least one really good acoustic show.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

BeastOfExmoor posted:

A lot of bands can go on to make music late in their career that I don't like, but it takes someone like Billy Corgan to release new music that actually taints my perspective on the album that literally got me into music almost 30 years ago.

I wonder how many classic albums could be compiled from tracks Billy never recorded or released. There's a fan-made compilation of unreleased Zwan live recordings and IIRC its like 50+ songs as well as at least one really good acoustic show.

Van Morrison and Eric Clapton would like to have a talk with you.

Well there was reportedly 100 songs done for Zwan that have never seen the light of day. There is plenty of Pumpkins stuff from the 90s that is incomplete that only a fraction has ever been heard. I love listening to the demo stuff from 92-96 that is out there myself.

I think there are only two bands from the 90s that blew more truly great songs on b-sides than anyone else; Pumpkins and Oasis. Noel Gallagher admits now that he was loving stupid making stuff like The Masterplan a b-side. I doubt Billy will say the same. Granted the stuff was good enough they made two commercial releases for them.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Billy couldn’t possibly be writing as much now as he was in the 90s. I remember reading spfc.org years ago and being blown away by how many songs i’d never heard of. I think the secret is probably amphetamines, honestly.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I still want a studio version of Alabaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snswTHn9bPU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Lol Weezer managed this for me with their third album ... according to wikipedia they're on #15 by now)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Has Billy ever sung about California?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don’t think so but… he wrote Malibu. So I think that counts.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Hard Times gets around to Smashing Pumpkins: https://thehardtimes.net/rankings/every-smashing-pumpkins-album-ranked/

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Given how frilly some of his lyrics can be it's hard to know for sure, but I'd suspect a good portion of Adore and Machina were informed by his time in LA in the mid-late 90s.

I looked through this yesterday and I think there's some anti-Mike bias that's causing them to rank Shiny above Oceania. Like Shiny has a couple good songs but the production is a little rushed, and Jimmy barely stretches his legs on that album. Saying PI is only worthwhile for Landslide is insane though, I made a big disgusted face when I read that.

edit also lol at saying the best track on Gish is Drown

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

edit also lol at saying the best track on Gish is Drown

I like that they kept the bit for the Pisces Iscariot entry too.

"Whir" is a pretty good track though. :(

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Just when I got used to.....and accepted that digipaks are the new standard packaging for CDs. ATUM as a triple album digi is flimsy as all hell.....and will fall apart if you touch it wrong. Will say that they accompanying booklet is pretty great. Simple....but provides the tag-along narrative for each song. So I do appreciate that....and it'll make me far more likely to relisten to the entire album.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

hatelull posted:

I like that they kept the bit for the Pisces Iscariot entry too.

"Whir" is a pretty good track though. :(

The thing is every track on PI is a pretty good track, the only one I ever really skip is Landslide. I think there's an argument that the best individual SP song is Starla.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Baron von Eevl posted:

The thing is every track on PI is a pretty good track, the only one I ever really skip is Landslide. I think there's an argument that the best individual SP song is Starla.

The guitar solo on Starla melted my loving brain when I was 15 or whatever

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The live version from the 1993 Metro show that came with the SD box might be the exact literal moment the band peaked. Not to say everything after that was bad or anything, but the Starla that starts at something like an hour into the show, the band is just dripping with sweat and hypothetically should all be worn out but are somehow only getting started, cello accompanying, just absolute unrestrained perfection.

edit also Starla has the best backstory of any song by Billy

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

edit also Starla has the best backstory of any song by Billy

That he named it after a girl he met at a party and later she said her name was actually Darla, and he had misheard?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, classic dipshit Corgan.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, classic dipshit Corgan.

New thread title.

Just heard the original version of Speed Kills that's only on the Japanese version of Machina (also a b-side on the Stand Inside Your Love single), and very different from the Machina II version that everyone is likely used to. Much more mellow and fitting with its place on the Japanese track listing (13, with with the final 3 tracks rearranged) but does have some very cool guitar solos weaving throughout the song. Will be interesting to see which version they go with for the reissue, or if maybe they blend the two somehow? The Machina II version is a bit too straightforward rock and would definitely benefit from the cool (presumably by James) solos, but who knows.

I wonder what version of Blue Skies Bring Tears they'll use too? I love both!

Also just discovered Soot and Stars & Because You Are happen to be Adore outtakes and I think they're pretty good songs. Soot and Stars is just beautiful and really should have been on the album, and I like the hypnotic qualities of Because You Are with the screeching guitars weaving around the background like some other Adore tracks that incorporated a similar sound. In retrospect Adore probably could have been a double album as well given the track listing and amount of b-sides (16 tracks, or 17 if you have the Japanese version which has "Once in a While" as track 16) would bump it up significantly.

...and why the heck do Japanese versions of albums always have bonus tracks that aren't on other versions? I've seen it so many times now that it seems like it must be some kind of law that Western music releases must have more material for the Japanese market for some reason?!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

SUNKOS posted:

...and why the heck do Japanese versions of albums always have bonus tracks that aren't on other versions? I've seen it so many times now that it seems like it must be some kind of law that Western music releases must have more material for the Japanese market for some reason?!

So Japan has some of the highest media prices in the entire world. Like a CD that would cost :10bux: here would cost 30-40 there. Same with DVDs, etc. The way to try and combat people from just importing media from overseas cheaper is they give exclusive extras for the Japanese market. With music it was always a extra track.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
CDs in Japan are incredibly expensive (were? I dunno what the physical media situation is there) so it was seen as a way to reward fans buying an album for the equivalent of like $40 and I think probably also to discourage people from having a friend in another country buy it and ship it to them illegally.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

CherryCola posted:

The guitar solo on Starla melted my loving brain when I was 15 or whatever

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Well, beaten on that, lets talk about music. Uhhh I'm taking a drug made by sandoz labs right now, Girl Named Sandoz rules pretty hard huh? What other covers did the pumpkins record in studio? Landslide, Rock On, Soul Power. Any others?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Baron von Eevl posted:

CDs in Japan are incredibly expensive (were? I dunno what the physical media situation is there) so it was seen as a way to reward fans buying an album for the equivalent of like $40 and I think probably also to discourage people from having a friend in another country buy it and ship it to them illegally.

Physical media is still big in Japan. Downloads aren’t as big, piracy is also not a huge thing due to the laws and streaming is almost non-existent. A big reason is the robust resell market in Japan. Most people don’t have the kind of storage that we do in the West so people routinely sell their things to be able to afford new things. Also there isn’t a rental industry really so things like movies, music, games are routinely bought, used and then resold.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Also trashing Gish and Adore invalidates that list massively.

And Whir is great, crazy stuff

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

Well, beaten on that, lets talk about music. Uhhh I'm taking a drug made by sandoz labs right now, Girl Named Sandoz rules pretty hard huh? What other covers did the pumpkins record in studio? Landslide, Rock On, Soul Power. Any others?

Listening to their cover of Jackie Blue on the Pisces Iscariot reissue 2nd disc right now and it's a banger, sir.

Edit: Holy poo poo @ There It Goes. Billy obviously got his hands on a Boss DC-2 pedal and went full 80s. Wow.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 14, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That song was from their first shows, it is literally actually fully 80s because it was written and recorded in 1998.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Okay now explain Destination Unknown to me because it's actually bizarrely catchy but all I can picture is Billy sweating profusely and gurning from too much ecstasy while nakedly dancing around Sadlands as concerned neighbors contemplate making a noise complaint because it's 4am and he's had the song on repeat for several hours and just. won't. stop. but he bought a vintage Moog (with cash) and he finally feels cute.