Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just saw the scene of Riku saying who his dad was and yeah that makes sense and explains everything.

Wait what did I miss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Wait what did I miss

In a side thing he mentions that Melia and his Dad used to be traveling companions ages ago so he's close to her

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

In a side thing he mentions that Melia and his Dad used to be traveling companions ages ago so he's close to her

I feel like that's when he finally says who his Masterpon is, as well.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh I must’ve missed the dad part of that conversation

Edit: I have all the battle and tactics manuals but only a few strategy manuals (1-5, 18-20). Are the others dropped by the high level UM’s?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 8, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

(Riki's family): Would that be Riku... or Kino?.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OddObserver posted:

(Riki's family): Would that be Riku... or Kino?.

XB3 probably starts around 11 years after FC, when Melia turns 100. Around 10-15 years have passed for the people transported to Aionios in FR. I think that Kino is supposed to maybe be 10 at most in FC, so I'm guessing it's Riki.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

turn off the TV posted:

XB3 probably starts around 11 years after FC, when Melia turns 100. Around 10-15 years have passed for the people transported to Aionios in FR. I think that Kino is supposed to maybe be 10 at most in FC, so I'm guessing it's Riki.

either your timeline or your phrasing is way off because, going purely off the Vandham Family Tree, Future Redeemed would probably be about 100 years (at least) after the worlds fuse, and XBC3 base probably at least another 100.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

IcePhoenix posted:

either your timeline or your phrasing is way off because, going purely off the Vandham Family Tree, Future Redeemed would probably be about 100 years (at least) after the worlds fuse, and XBC3 base probably at least another 100.

XB3's opening is on Melia's jubilee, which, judging from the ages of the returning cast members, is probably her 100th birthday. She's 88 in XC1 and 89 in FC. FR probably takes place hundreds or thousands of years after that. The people who were transported to Aionios appear around 10-15 years before FR begins. The events of Xenoblade 3's actual game take place at least 200 years after Future Redeemed, but I imagine that it's been longer than that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I wasn't even considering the opening cutscene, that makes sense then

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
How the hell did Nia become queen anyways

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
motivation from one eye and previous experience? wasnt her fake dad the mayor of one of the towns in 2?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

she just kept flesh eating anyone who disagreed with her

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
thats some queen poo poo

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

motivation from one eye and previous experience? wasnt her fake dad the mayor of one of the towns in 2?

Her dad was a minor to medium noble in Torigoth, I don't remember if he was also a previous mayor.
She did mention receiving etiquette training in a side conversation in 2 IIRC.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

TheKingofSprings posted:

How the hell did Nia become queen anyways

she's more popular with fans than niall

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Does anyone have a link to a completed Enemypaedia? I am missing a few random non-UM entries that are starting to annoy me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Not having fun with the DLC story. I just completely tune out games that start making you hunt down / grind for items in order to continue with the storyline. The main story was so respectful of the players time, why did Monolith have to go backwards to the terrible scenario design of Xenoblade 2?

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
There's like at most 2 instances where you have to collect items to advance the story and the collectibles/enemies are right next to you. Not a serious complaint.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Does anyone have a link to a completed Enemypaedia? I am missing a few random non-UM entries that are starting to annoy me.

Assuming this is the correct way to share it, I ran across this massive Google Doc spreadsheet while trying to do the very thing you're trying to do. It lists everything, not just Enemypedia:

Just be mindful here be spoilers

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Giggy posted:

There's like at most 2 instances where you have to collect items to advance the story and the collectibles/enemies are right next to you. Not a serious complaint.

I think they might be referring to the field crafting that is required to advance through certain areas. There are several that are required but the rarest items (black shards/crystals) tend to be just off the beaten path and ping on your radar which makes them easier to find. The rest are all just random pickups.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I think they might be referring to the field crafting that is required to advance through certain areas. There are several that are required but the rarest items (black shards/crystals) tend to be just off the beaten path and ping on your radar which makes them easier to find. The rest are all just random pickups.

I am a super mega moron. Do you happen to know of any online sources that point to where the black shards can be found?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Black shards and crystals are located in areas with black fog.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I think anything that requires crystals/shards for story progression they just give one to you, or it's obscenely difficult to miss the one you need to get.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

I think anything that requires crystals/shards for story progression they just give one to you, or it's obscenely difficult to miss the one you need to get.

I'm just a dumbass that is somehow missing this. I admit it's probably right there in the town. I will go back and try again.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I said come in! posted:

I'm just a dumbass that is somehow missing this. I admit it's probably right there in the town. I will go back and try again.

It also helps if you upgrade your x reader to ping you for stuff (I do not remember which upgrade this is).

I should also mention that my "I think" is doing a lot of work there because I explored the poo poo out of everything and had a great time doing so, so I always had way more than I needed even when they gave me some.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
It's either the treasure or key items upgrade that will ping for crystals and shards. The items are also bright and shiny on the ground. Some of them are out of the way and require exploration but the game basically requires exploration anyway for character upgrades so it's not really an additional hassle.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I said come in! posted:

I think the spreadsheet I linked just above has those? It has pretty much everything.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I said come in! posted:

You get a free black shard for the first Ether Slide iirc and yeah the rest are shiny items in areas with black fog. Same with the black crystal and the Ether Lift.

There are a few other field crafting things like ladders and an Elevator and again most of those are random collectibles. I’m not sure how many are mandatory to complete the game but I believe it’s only a few and mostly in the final area.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'm not sure how you can get stuck on collectable for progress unless you are ignoring everything right near you and rarely pick stuff up. It's not even close to the annoying field craft stuff in XBC2.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Started FR this week. Started liking Matthew more once I realized he's a British football hooligan with a heart of gold. Then I got to the chapter 2 finale and jammed out to Flight from Xenogears for an hour straight. The expansion really kicks into overdrive.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m laughing because there’s a final side quest after you complete the Community stuff and it sets up the colony being able to pick up and leave if needed but even if you don’t do it they still escape which kinda cheapens what a great leader they make Matthew out to be through the quest when I guess they would’ve just figured it out without him!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I think my only disappointment is there's no piano rendition of Bringer of Chaos.

You can't just say that's a thing game without letting me hear it.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Finished the DLC at 30 hours with just post-game superboss cleanup left. Random thoughts:

- The biggest burning question that never got answered or even hinted at is about Glimmer: is she Pyra's, or...I guess both Pyra's and Mythra's combined like Pneuma? Not having this answered is actually kind of hosed up because if she's just Pyra's daughter, that means one of Rex's kids maybe never exists in Aionios at all!
- Did it show Pneuma's core crystal in Matthew's gauntlet when he punched N's sword to activate the Mega Uroboros? If it came from Ghondor, who gave it to him? Because that also means it eventually gets made into the sheath that Noah uses.
- It was nice to get confirmation that Melia is Riku's masterpon, but that was obvious once I realized Lucky Seven is a replica Monado. But also, you can't just say souls are forged in it and not elaborate.
- God drat I hate the parent not confessing who they are to their child even after death trope so much. At least they tried to handwave it away here, but ffs those were some of the oldest death flags in the book during the Affinity Scenes where they vaguely reference Fiora and Glimmer's mother.
- It struck me as weird that Linka toes the line of declaring she's Zeke and Pandoria's daughter and seems to retain her memories but is somehow distinct from Shulk and Rex, and not bound to Agnus or Keves like Nikol and Glimmer. Not only that, she gets the wink and nudge treatment, but Panacea gets absolutely nothing even though she appears to be the midway point between Reyn and Sharla. What the hell?
- I really like Matthew as a protagonist and loved his VA, but I'm bummed he just fucks off at the end and leaves Na'el when the City isn't even rebuilt yet. Still, he got to kick N's rear end, that counts for something.
- My entire kingdom for a crumb of Rex and M interacting like Nia and M did, what an absolute waste of gilded potential.

Overall, the ending to the base game gave me expectations for the plot and ending to FR that I should have known it couldn't reach. Everything else was great, maybe even a step beyond. But frankly, I'm more than a little disappointed.

In a sense, it's closure to know the worlds did separate again, and will end up reunited again. But the series deserved a companion piece to the main game's post-credits scene: family men Shulk and Rex being dads, young Mio finding a diary during a break in music lessons with her sister(s), Melia and Nia talking again, etc. We'll most likely never see any of that, at least not in canon materials, and that's such a shame.

tl;dr: DLC played great, but we deserved a bit more out of the ending than what we got imo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm glad the dlc didn't really feel the need to get into the nitty gritty of like who married who and what Shulk and Rex's family life is like. But the writing does kind of fall flat at points when they are heavily hinting at stuff like "ooh Rex is having Dad feelings" but then shy away from actually discussing any of it or outright confirming things.

Is probably for the best though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Manoueverable posted:

- The biggest burning question that never got answered or even hinted at is about Glimmer: is she Pyra's, or...I guess both Pyra's and Mythra's combined like Pneuma? Not having this answered is actually kind of hosed up because if she's just Pyra's daughter, that means one of Rex's kids maybe never exists in Aionios at all!

you may have memory holed the most cursed moment of xenoblade 3

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It’s pretty unambiguous that Glimmer is Pyra’s daughter.

Mythra’s kid just never shows up, a small cabal of people seem to think it’s Dirk though lol

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Oh no, I remember quite well, and the context clues do point toward one answer. I guess that point is more taking exception to two out of the three having gigantic roles in Aionios and the other not even getting a cameo.

e: and to be clear, in terms of showing family life, I'm not saying it should have been a fully playable sequence or even longer than a minute. More like parallel scenes to the illusory breakfast scene in 2 and/or the opening scene in Colony 9 in 1, to really give their older selves a stronger send-off.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 15, 2023

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I also finished the DLC yesterday (spent most of the weekend speedrunning it so I could start Zelda) and overall it was excellent. It fixed a lot of the minor annoyances I had with the base game (no collectopedia, little to no incentives for exploring) and wrapped up the Xenoblade story in a super satisfying way despite some minor snags. All the characters were great and had purpose, the non-stop easter eggs were a joy, and it was nice to get a legit Xenoblade ending. Oh and we finally got the catchy field music that 1 and 2 had and 3 was missing. Also Rex is an absolute beast and his VA was fantastic, easily the best part of the DLC.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Frankly I’m blown away how compelling they made the guy with 3 wives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TheKingofSprings posted:

It’s pretty unambiguous that Glimmer is Pyra’s daughter.

Mythra’s kid just never shows up, a small cabal of people seem to think it’s Dirk though lol

Glimmer is almost certainly both. Aside from the hair color, she looks and acts like a younger version of Mythra but her attacks are fire-themed like Pyra.