Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
The most important thing about tanking is your glams. Do you like sword and board, big axes, big swords, or tiny swords?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Kitfox88 posted:

I miss two dungeons per patch

While I get it, I honestly don't miss getting a bunch of dungeons. For me personally, I don't run dungeons that often. I don't do roulettes. I run a dungeon as many times as I need to get the associated triple triad card and then never again.

I'm much more interested in unique systems or content over yet another dungeon when we have almost 100 dungeons in game already.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So is the live letter probably going to include the first hints of the next expansion, going off of past ones?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Regalingualius posted:

So is the live letter probably going to include the first hints of the next expansion, going off of past ones?

The live letter isn't going to touch expansion stuff. It will be wholly focused on 6.4.

We won't get the first whiff of expansion news until Fanfest in July.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Regalingualius posted:

Yoship said in an interview we might catch a glimpse, but he'd be surprised if we guessed it

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I doubt it. Since the story is supposedly not linking into the next expansion, we're probably going to need to wait until Fanfest.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

past x.4 patches have had teases into what the expansion would be, broadly, but I think whether this patch does depends on whether we finish with the void story this patch or not. but for me, I'm doubtful that the trail ends at golbez.

and then of course two months after that we'll get the fanfest announcement

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Ok yeah I wanted to make sure I wasn't spreading misinformation. It comes from a translation of a famitsu article that came out on the first of this month. I can't post the tweet because it's spoilery but we were talking about it in the spoiler thread.

Anyway, yoship seems to have said

"You might see a hint of what will happen after this 6.X series, but you might not be able to figure out what exactly it is yet."

Source here:

https://tw itter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1653104286610624513?t=c5i6Y_y5hi2bscrpANdjDA&s=19

E: ohhh I'm dumb you meant the live letter not the next patch. My bad!

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 10, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I doubt it. Since the story is supposedly not linking into the next expansion, we're probably going to need to wait until Fanfest.

There's no direct link in that the 6.x MSQ is a story arc all on its own, but it is supposed to somehow lead into the situation for 7.0 from memory. It's just that 7.0 will be its own story too, compared to the multiple expansion spanning Ascian Arc.

Think of the Golbez story as a side story between two main stories, that is meant to provide some set up but be self contained.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They might keep Zero on the team (if we don't have to kill her) since people like her and they need new characters, but I will be surprised if the 7.0 story has any other relation to the Golbez/void stuff we're doing now. i think 6.5 is going to throw something completely different at us

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Can someone help me set up my bar as a lvl 77 paladin? I'm back in the game after a break and I have no idea what I'm doing, except apparently I'm using all the wrong skills in the wrong order. (Keyboard/mouse.)

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 10, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Are you on KBM or controller?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

FuturePastNow posted:

They might keep Zero on the team (if we don't have to kill her) since people like her and they need new characters, but I will be surprised if the 7.0 story has any other relation to the Golbez/void stuff we're doing now. i think 6.5 is going to throw something completely different at us

I'm really, really looking forward to the 6.5 trailer. Sept can't come fast enough

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Arist posted:

Are you on KBM or controller?

Keyboard/mouse.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

kedo posted:

So tanking is easy, that's good to know I suppose – if it's the easiest role to play, what's the hardest/most complex role? Am I going to be bored to tears tanking?

For reference I enjoyed tanking in WoW classic because I it forced me to think about encounters and strategize a bit to keep aggro on big packs. Comparatively I find (early) tanking in WoW retail incredibly boring because I basically run around brainlessly picking up big groups of mobs and then I press two buttons and aoe spam threat.

Couple of things:
- You can and almost certainly should level a couple of jobs in parallel. You get the XP for it for free, sort of, and it helps with variation. For instance, you can tank dungeons on Marauder/Warrior and do overworld stuff (such as it is) on some DPS: I suggest Pugilist/Monk or Arcanist/Summoner from the early ones. Basically, when the game says "hey you can unlock jobs now", go unlock at least one job per town. Progress in the game is gated by story progress more than XP, there's basically no downside to switching your bars around every now and then as you go through it.

- Coming in new I think there'll be enough things going on while tanking to keep you busy. Tanking is easy in the sense that you're the least likely to die or otherwise wipe the party, but it also throws a lot of stuff at you early on. You have to learn to manage mobs and pace dungeons, not just punch things. Coming from wow it shouldn't be hard, but it's probably more immediate cognitive load than the other roles.

- 14's tanking is probably closer to warcraft retail than warcraft classic. You pick up some mobs, then do your aoes while cycling your defensive cooldowns in some hopefully sane way so your healer won't hate you. There are some cool survival tricks you can do, but just pulling your way through the dungeon is more straightforward than it is in any version of wow. Bosses can get quite tricky in comparison later on. Early dungeon bosses are often very, very simple: leveling to 50 and finishing A Realm Reborn is really a lengthy tutorial, for better or worse.

- When people are saying that the dungeons are basically corridors, that's not strictly true for the stuff at or before level 50. That said, the path is usually simple compared to retail warcraft, nevermind stuff like Blackrock Depths. There is far less emphasis on patrols and on CC management: skippable mob packs are rare early on and nonexistent later, stuns and interrupts exist but people rarely use them. Your default strategy is going to be to run to a mob pack, aoe 1-2 times, run to the next mob pack, press a mitigation button and do the murder. If taking 2 packs was easy then take 3 packs next if the dungeon will let you (often there are walls).

- As for the other roles: DPS have the more involved actual DPS rotation, but have nothing else to do and have the least impact on anything. Healers are different from wow in that it's very easy to keep people alive, and the difference between good and bad is how much damage you manage to output while doing the rest of your job. I'd argue that healer is the hardest role to play really well and also the role where you're punished the least for in fact not playing really well and instead just playing kinda mediocre, but then I am a healer main.

If there's one point I really want to stress it is: level at least 2 jobs. Maybe even 3 or 4. You can do so on basically main quest XP, it adds variety, and if you don't like one job or role you'll have a back-up. It's a very common wow vet thing to go "well I don't want to waste XP on an alt", but that's really not how progress in 14 works.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 10, 2023

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Leveling classes in FFXIV is piss easy and also can be done on one character. Also all classes are equality viable within their group of classes.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Xerophyte posted:

If there's one point I really want to stress it is: level at least 2 jobs.

Agreeing with this. It's probably less of an issue since you have MMO experience already, but having a job in every role helped me understand party dynamics a whole lot more than just doing my singular thing. I'd also agree that healer is the toughest to play at early levels, since you're the only person that has to pay attention to everything, but it flattens out at higher level play.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Healing also sucks at lower levels since all you can do is bomb people with your GCD heals, which then become nearly useless by the time you even finish the base game's story and remain so for the rest of the game.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

DelphiAegis posted:

Don't get discouraged and don't be afraid to say you're new in a dungeon/trial/whatever to get some friendly advice. Ffxiv players are chill as gently caress.

It's helpful to know it's your first time though a thing, or you're new to tanking. In general but especially if I'm your healer so I turn on a few more brain cells

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I pretty much open anything I’m new at with a “o/ first time here” or “o/ first time tanking this”. (The later is if I have run it before but I’ve never tanked it and I’m nervous.) I’ve never had anyone snippy about it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The key thing is not to worry too much, dying doesn't matter. A very small number of people will get weird about it but if you pull too much and die you can just say "lol oops", respawn and do a smaller pull next time and people will be fine with that

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

As a RDM/SMN I appreciate people dying cause rezzing as DPS makes me feel good.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Most of the early dungeons don't even need actual tanking so if you're learning and screw up it's not a big deal. I tanked a Satasha roulette as a Bard last night because our actual tank was some Brazilian troll who wouldn't turn on tank stance or use any abilities.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

If you die on a big pull you should type in party chat ". . . . Ascians!" for a laugh

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Sometimes you eat poo poo and it's fine. 90% of the time if we wipe my basic response is "lmao" did the sprout tank gently caress up? Probably! It happens! Did the healer gently caress up? Also possible! Did I, the Summoner, forget that I can revive people? Yea. We've missed, like, two minutes.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

The Gubal (Hard) run where I (healer) and the dps kept getting aggro through the whole thing, but w/e it's fine probably just a new GNB. Then right before we go into the last boss the tank says "oh my god, I'm sorry, I had the lvl 1 Squall GNB actually equipped rather than just glam'd" We all had a big laugh because it's just a video game

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

Healing also sucks at lower levels since all you can do is bomb people with your GCD heals, which then become nearly useless by the time you even finish the base game's story and remain so for the rest of the game.

Speaking of leveling healers: Conjurer/White Mage, Arcanist/Scholar, and Astrologian all start out with a heal that you need to cast.

As soon as you hit 30 and unlock the relevant jobs, just take those spells and shunt them to the parts of your hotbars that you never use, because the healing spells you get at 30 are pound-for-pound better in pretty much every way. There’s a passive effect that gives you a 15% chance for your starting heal to make your next level 30 heal free, but it’s never worth it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Freecure should honestly be removed from the game.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My number 1 7.0 WHM rework desire is:

Remove Freecure.

For a bonus they can make Cure 1 upgrade to Cure 2 but I really just want them to get rid of Freecure.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Speaking of leveling healers: Conjurer/White Mage, Arcanist/Scholar, and Astrologian all start out with a heal that you need to cast.

As soon as you hit 30 and unlock the relevant jobs, just take those spells and shunt them to the parts of your hotbars that you never use, because the healing spells you get at 30 are pound-for-pound better in pretty much every way.

I'm usually have all my healers maxed out as soon as possible and don't take them into leveling roulettes after that.
One of my first roulettes after the Endwalker release started with a wipe because it turns out that Cure1 is the only heal you have in Sastasha.
So don't put that button too far away :v:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I would be shocked if the next expansion wasn't Meracydia and it would honestly be pretty easy to bridge the end of the 6.x story into it but they don't necessarily have to tie the two together. But the writing is 100% on the wall.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

We beat up Golbez and he becomes our bro, but then he takes off on a joyride with the moon and 7.0 is an interstellar romp to get our dang moon back.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Firebert posted:

I would be shocked if the next expansion wasn't Meracydia and it would honestly be pretty easy to bridge the end of the 6.x story into it but they don't necessarily have to tie the two together. But the writing is 100% on the wall.

I know people keep thinking Zero will become Zeromus but I like the theory that Golbez is actually a puppet of Azdaja and she becomes Zeromus.

Alternatively, we beat Golbez and Azdaja goes berzerk, trying to control Zero and merging them into Zeromus and then we have to beat everyone up until they are our friends again.

And then Azdaja leads the charge into Meracydia.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

We go to Meracydia for 7.0 but leave Estinien behind for some bizarre reason.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We already had one moon be revealed to actually be the prison for a mega powerful primal

No one would ever expect it happening again

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

We already had one moon be revealed to actually be the prison for a mega powerful primal

it is weird that it happened twice

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I want to go explore outer space with the moon

Although I don't want to kill all the whales and poo poo that need gravity and tidal forces to not die...

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

^^It'd be kinda neat for one of the new arc's expansions to be IN SPAAAACE, I think.

Mordiceius posted:

I know people keep thinking Zero will become Zeromus but I like the theory that Golbez is actually a puppet of Azdaja and she becomes Zeromus.

Alternatively, we beat Golbez and Azdaja goes berzerk, trying to control Zero and merging them into Zeromus and then we have to beat everyone up until they are our friends again.

And then Azdaja leads the charge into Meracydia.

Zero becoming Zeromus is the exact sort of obviously predictable thing that the FFXIV writers love to set up and then swerve away from. I have to assume that anyone who has played through the game to this point and still thinks that's what's actually going to happen is banking on the writers pulling it as a double misdirection, like a football coach trying too hard to throw off an opposing coach who has lots of film of their team.

Using Azdaja somehow as a bridge to Meracydia is pretty likely.

Theris fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 11, 2023

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Both moons were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i have no idea who zeromus is so i'm just looking forward to being friends with zero forever