Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

I feel extremely old because I associate Molyneux with his golden era at Bullfrog. He was involved in some of my favourite games (Populous, Theme Park, Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate) before he started huffing his own farts.

If anything his behavior indicates he didn't really have much to do with those titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
There's a line in this video about Project Milo where Molyneux says that the rest of Lionhead got mad at him all the time for running his mouth. In hindsight, that's probably less of a joke than it seemed at first.

To me he comes off less as a childlike dreamer and more like a salesman, the kind of guy who will tell the customer anything as long as it gets one sale. The problem is that he did this with a lot of customers, and he developed a reputation for this.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/PeterMolydeux/status/1633271754100449280

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

I always took Molyneux as a bullshitter who genuinely believes his own bullshit. He's just so drat excited and when someone mentions some idea and he immediately yes-ands it.

That's why the RPS interview feels a bit like kicking a puppy. He's just so drat excited at all the great things he assuredly will help bring to fruition, and he can't help it.

Maybe that's falling for Molyneux' game, and he's a calculating bullshit artist. I think that's a fair opinion to have.

I just think the games journalism industry has been very complicit in building Molyneux up, and then tearing him down. He shouldn't have received the unquestioning hype in the first place, he shouldn't have received as much funding, and he should've been forced to actually build things for real. It all leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Games journalism has definitely had a bad habit of fixating on auteurs.

It makes sense for indie games where one person does the brunt of the work but the reputation follows them if they get a bigger studio and inevitably leads to disappointment later on.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It reminds me of that time a journo interviewed someone who was talking about how it took a large team of people to create the game, but he was introduced as "person who created X". I can't remember who it was.

What I found distasteful is that the gaming press built Molyneux up with utterly uncritical coverage, and they tore him down once it became the fashionable thing to do. I feel like the Molyneux case is as much an indictment of games journalism as it is of some hype man making tall promises all the time. But those people are really common, and they aren't that special either.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

everything always comes back to videogame journalism being the worst

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

HopperUK posted:

I've been enjoying Warriors of the Nile 2 - do the Disgaea games play anything like that? Tactical turnbased thing? I haven't played much of that kind of game before and I already own some Disgaeas from bundles and such.

Yeah, that's the format of Strategy RPG popularized by Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea is basically in that genre with the caveat that its target audience is People Who Love Postgames With Big Numbers.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
molyneux was a grifting pissant in an industry already rich with them, it’s good he’s gone and hopefully he stays that way

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I posted this in the survival megathread but State of Decay 2 has a major update today that completely revamps the plague heart/infestations mechanics. It's a big one they've been working on for like a year.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

mycot posted:

There's a line in this video about Project Milo where Molyneux says that the rest of Lionhead got mad at him all the time for running his mouth. In hindsight, that's probably less of a joke than it seemed at first.

To me he comes off less as a childlike dreamer and more like a salesman, the kind of guy who will tell the customer anything as long as it gets one sale. The problem is that he did this with a lot of customers, and he developed a reputation for this.

Antigravitas posted:

I always took Molyneux as a bullshitter who genuinely believes his own bullshit. He's just so drat excited and when someone mentions some idea and he immediately yes-ands it.

That's why the RPS interview feels a bit like kicking a puppy. He's just so drat excited at all the great things he assuredly will help bring to fruition, and he can't help it.

Maybe that's falling for Molyneux' game, and he's a calculating bullshit artist. I think that's a fair opinion to have.

I just think the games journalism industry has been very complicit in building Molyneux up, and then tearing him down. He shouldn't have received the unquestioning hype in the first place, he shouldn't have received as much funding, and he should've been forced to actually build things for real. It all leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

he very much believes in his own poo poo and has high persuasiveness in terms of communication, which is why he could keep continue making stuff after his rep became very damaged due to not really good games (although B&W2 was still a good game and in hindsight remains unique enough to stand out)

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

zoux posted:

I posted this in the survival megathread but State of Decay 2 has a major update today that completely revamps the plague heart/infestations mechanics. It's a big one they've been working on for like a year.

Did they ever make the shared loot system in coop not complete garbage? :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I saw an ad for a colony sim that I don’t even really remember anything about from the advertisement except that the headlining claim to legitimacy was it was from the team behind a (presumably) popular Rimworld mod. Which obviously there’s nothing wrong with that and it’s cool that there’s stuff like Terra Invicta and the OG Xcom-alike I don’t even remember the name of but it does make me wonder at the weird paths this industry sometimes takes. Old man wonders at cloud.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Gorn Myson posted:

Fable 2 had it flaws but your main companion was a dog so its a GOAT tier game to me.

You must not remember what happens to the dog! I loved Fable 2 but it was loving brutal, repeatedly.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Antigravitas posted:

It reminds me of that time a journo interviewed someone who was talking about how it took a large team of people to create the game, but he was introduced as "person who created X". I can't remember who it was.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Nice! It’s probably time I started a new community on the Deck.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Oxxidation posted:

molyneux was a grifting pissant in an industry already rich with them, it’s good he’s gone and hopefully he stays that way

lol yeah what's with this weird re-revisionism about how he was just a soft little boy who was taken down by the big evil journalists. dude lied to turn his baked bean company into a software one and it's been a snowball ever since.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lmao

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Ryaomon posted:

lol yeah what's with this weird re-revisionism about how he was just a soft little boy who was taken down by the big evil journalists. dude lied to turn his baked bean company into a software one and it's been a snowball ever since.

Honestly yeah my main takeaway from this conversation is that Molyneux could still sell a lot of people a bridge.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

smh all of a sudden it’s a team effort when he’s showing off Deus Ex 2

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

mycot posted:

Honestly yeah my main takeaway from this conversation is that Molyneux could still sell a lot of people a bridge.

lol

true

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i will follow Molyneux into the depths of Hell and we will laugh together at all the evil choices the damned have made

Orv
May 4, 2011
But doctor I am Epicurus

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

what do you do when you install dark souls iii and your dark souls iii save file is not there and it's not in your steam cloud profile listing for the cloud, right when you got to the good part after the pontiff. and you're like, i got no dark souls iii.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mescal posted:

what do you do when you install dark souls iii and your dark souls iii save file is not there and it's not in your steam cloud profile listing for the cloud, right when you got to the good part after the pontiff. and you're like, i got no dark souls iii.

Root around your old install directories by hand? If your old drive or directories are long gone and Steam doesn't have a cloud save, then yea you're outta luck.

-----------------

edit: And all this talk about Molyneux being a good salesman... you know you're describing a con-man, right?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mescal posted:

Sadly none of the older From games have cloud saves iirc, you may be enboneded

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Orv posted:

Sadly none of the older From games have cloud saves iirc, you may be enboneded

i've un/installed dark souls iii a dozen times on at least two devices without noticing that.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Ryaomon posted:

lyin' bout them beans

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh my gosh, that Molyneux interview, he's getting dragged for loving around with a half million british pounds, when we where just discussing Starcitizen sitting at over half a billion.

gently caress it, I need to start scamming people, being honest sure as gently caress isn't working for me.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Tunic update: Thank you everyone for helping me figure out how to level up the game is much more manageable now; beat the second boss and the land seems to have opened up in more fun ways

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

pentyne posted:

I don't know if the multiplayer is active but until 2018 SpiderMan this game had the absolute best swinging traversal.

The MP was like 8 spidermen with guns flinging themselves around buildings trying to shoot each other.

The ending is also hilarious and insane in the way only that dark grunge era of x360 storytelling was.

Rearmed is the remake of the original NES game, which instead ends with violently blowing up Hitler. A truly evergreen ending compared to sad man wife arm Steve Blum betray you.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 11, 2023

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mescal posted:

i've un/installed dark souls iii a dozen times on at least two devices without noticing that.

Yeah, not seeing Steam Cloud support in the list of features for Dark Souls 3, as opposed to the below screenshot for Borderlands 3:

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 11, 2023

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, not seeing Steam Cloud support in the list of features for Dark Souls 3, as opposed to the below screenshot for Borderlands 3:

dang.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I give Molyneux a pass because when I was a young 15 year old who 100% bought into the hype around Fable, I'd never played a fantasy game or RPG game really for that matter. There was still like 9 months before the release of it but I wanted some kind of fix so I was browsing the second hand xbox games at my local shop and saw this weird looking game called "Morrowind" that seemed to fit the bill.

Needless to say my mind was loving blown by that game and it's still my favourite game of all time to this day. When Fable finally came out I'd cooled on it a little but I still played it and had a great time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

If anything his behavior indicates he didn't really have much to do with those titles.
Dunno about Syndicate and Theme
Park, but Molyneux was hands on with Populous (IIRC he coded the AI and did the DOS port himself among various collaborative design things with the other coder whose name I can’t recall ATM. Might have been Sean Cooper?) and Dungeon Keeper (IIRC EA technically cancelled the game at some point so he moved the entire team out of the office and into his house to keep it going)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Peter Molyneaux as a creator of both good and bad things is the most difficult and confounding figure for a gamer to understand.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Expectations for nuanced opinions is Gamer Oppression

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Serephina posted:

edit: And all this talk about Molyneux being a good salesman... you know you're describing a con-man, right?

They are the same picture

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The Molyneux interview was unnecessary and did more damage to Walker in the end. He basically burned down all his career bridges just to be a dick in his own personal video games blog.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Communist Bear posted:

The Molyneux interview was unnecessary and did more damage to Walker in the end. He basically burned down all his career bridges just to be a dick in his own personal video games blog.

I feel like the gaming community goes through phases of being weirdly aggressive and hyper focused on individual industry personalities, which seemed to really accelerate at some point during the mid-to-late 2000's and continued through the 2010's.

Michael Pachter is another you don't hear from so much now who received a.. disproportionate amount of largely negative attention over that period. I mean look, don't get me wrong, these are people with a proven track record for talking complete poo poo - and I think Pachter at some point seemed to lean into the status and actively courted the attention - but in hindsight the amount of time we used to spend talking about these people wasn't really the best look for anybody.

Looking back, the Walker interview with Molyneux just feels like an energy channelled bullet point to the era it was written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

What is Lost Planet 3, and how good is it? I bought the :10bux: tier of the Capcom Humble Bundle to pick up, well, mostly MM11 but I have at least a little interest in Bionic Commando, Dragon's Dogma, and Strider, but I don't really know anything about Lost Planet at all. I'm trying to decide what to keep and what to give away.