Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

hit up the cd cellar for the first time today... I could've spent hours there

CD Cellar is awesome. So far as I can tell their stock of new arrivals seems to change fairly often, so it's always worth going back to see what new stuff is in.

This reminds me I've been meaning to get out there and also to pop my head in that guitar store next door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

hit up the cd cellar for the first time today... I could've spent hours there

Did we suddenly go from Songs From The Big Chair being impossible to find in the wild to suddenly popping up everywhere lol

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Did we suddenly go from Songs From The Big Chair being impossible to find in the wild to suddenly popping up everywhere lol

That was a hard album to find? It sold millions of copies

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hot Diggity! posted:

Get Happy owns

It does and was paradoxically the cheapest record there ($7). Elvis doesn't get the respect he deserves.

McCoy Pauley posted:

CD Cellar is awesome. So far as I can tell their stock of new arrivals seems to change fairly often, so it's always worth going back to see what new stuff is in.

This reminds me I've been meaning to get out there and also to pop my head in that guitar store next door.

It was jam packed so I didn't even look at the bins under the main "new arrival/used" sections but it certainly seems like stuff would be moving in and out in droves. People were ravenous.
Their new/sealed collection is also extensive as gently caress but I opted to stick to just literal new releases and hard to find since they were a buck or two more expensive than online prices for everything.

The only other shop I've been to in the area was the vienna music exchange and the prices were a lot better there but it's small, boutique would be a polite way to put it maybe, and not well ventilated so I was loving melting after half an hour of digging through boxes.

Moebius is also pretty close so I'd like to check that one out sooner than later.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 7, 2023

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

BigFactory posted:

That was a hard album to find? It sold millions of copies

In person for me at least. Could never find it whenever I browsed record stores until literally 4 days ago.

Well, not including this one shop that wanted $50 for a copy [gtfoh]

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Moebius is also pretty close so I'd like to check that one out sooner than later.

Moebius is good, but much smaller than CD Cellar. Very friendly staff there.

There's also Crooked Beats in Old Town, which has some interesting used stuff from time to time, although I think they're about to move to a new location Del Rey, so they may be winding down stock to make the move.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Not sure what it's like with you folks, but once I get some mometum I just can't stop buying! This weeks take:

I bought all the Iron Maiden picture discs about 11 years ago. They all sound like absolute poo poo, so they've been on my hit list to swap out. Made some progress - Somewhere In Time is OG press, the others are repress. Do we have anyone in the thread who is knowledgeable on which pressing I should be hunting down on Maiden/Megadeth/Sabbath?

The new GnR Use Your Illusion repress, formative albums for me. QoTSA self titled, Everything Now by Arcade Fire, love that album.

Off the back of "Music For Cosmic Gardens", I'm looking to explore more ambient/"New Age" stuff. Happy to take some recommendations! "Environment Disc 5" has some pretty fantastic "love-making" advice in the insert!

My partner also added to her growing collection!

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

midge posted:

Not sure what it's like with you folks, but once I get some mometum I just can't stop buying! This weeks take:

I bought all the Iron Maiden picture discs about 11 years ago. They all sound like absolute poo poo, so they've been on my hit list to swap out. Made some progress - Somewhere In Time is OG press, the others are repress. Do we have anyone in the thread who is knowledgeable on which pressing I should be hunting down on Maiden/Megadeth/Sabbath?

The new GnR Use Your Illusion repress, formative albums for me. QoTSA self titled, Everything Now by Arcade Fire, love that album.

Off the back of "Music For Cosmic Gardens", I'm looking to explore more ambient/"New Age" stuff. Happy to take some recommendations! "Environment Disc 5" has some pretty fantastic "love-making" advice in the insert!

My partner also added to her growing collection!

For ambient/new age stuff I highly recommend Green-House's Six Songs for Invisible Gardens and Music for Living Spaces.

Can't go wrong with Laraaji and Bitchin Baja's albums as well.

CaptainBeefart fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 7, 2023

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Definitely kind of basic but Plantasia is really excellent

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

wa27 posted:

I'm 0 for 2 now. But at least I have a listenable copy finally. The last one I bought had been played so much it sounded like garbage.

Anyone know a good alternative to these jacket repair strips that isn't $1.50 per foot? Maybe just 2" brown reinforced packing tape would work?
edit: I see many people suggesting "paper hinging tape", which seems like a solid option.

I cut strips out of USPS flat rate envelopes and use a glue stick. Much more durable than a piece of paper tape. The envelopes are free and the glue stick only costs a few dollars. Later on when I can I'll post some pictures of covers I've repaired.

midge posted:

Rhino did a bunch of all analog reissues of the first six albums (possibly the last two Ozzy ones, but I don't know because I don't care about those) through the mid 2000s-early 2010s. I have the first four and they sound incredible, they fetch 50-80 bucks these days but if you keep your eyes peeled you can easily find them for 20-30 bucks. I've never heard any early UK pressings but supposedly these sound better. Even if that's not true who cares because these are still great and even at inflated prices it's a fraction of what an OG UK will cost. I got the first two when they came out and the other two I paid 20 and 30 bucks for by being patient and watching discogs for a while.

70s Eno is an obvious choice for ambient. There's a Japanese musician named Kitaro who was big in the ambient/new age world in the 80s and 90s. I have no idea if much or any of his poo poo was on vinyl if that's a requirement. beyond that I don't know much of that music

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Nightmare Cinema posted:

In person for me at least. Could never find it whenever I browsed record stores until literally 4 days ago.

Well, not including this one shop that wanted $50 for a copy [gtfoh]

I found my copy at Goodwill. After listening to the whole thing, the $2 I spent was about the right price. Love the singles, couldn't get into anything else.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Saw Good Kid tonight in Detroit and got their third EP, signed.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The comment on Songs From the Big Chair (of which I do have a copy which I really love) does bring to mind a certain paradox of this whole thing, which we've probably discussed before, but...

...for the records that really sold millions and millions of copies, why do you never see those out in the wild? Even a couple decades ago when I started buying my own records regularly (weeps in middle aged) the records in the bins in the new-and-used shops were rarely the most popular ones. Was there a copy of Dark Side of the Moon or Thriller in Arboria Records, State College, PA? Nope, but there was definitely three loving copies of Jamming With Edward that nobody wanted to send to the dumpster. poo poo, I was actively looking for Tears for Fears records and didn't get one until several years later. I get the idea that anything that desirable gets hoarded or rebought immediately, but...millions of records. It's fuckin' weird.

Anyway.

It's not much of anything obscure or special, but I was doing some organizing of recent purchases today and figured I'd take a few photos of what I've bought over the last month or so. One trip to half-price books, one ridiculous unit of mail-order, and two photos' worth of record store day:

(doublechecking that my imgur poo poo is logged-in...)

also ordered the 3LP Live at Leeds with that Bowie box from the same seller, forgot to shoot that one.

Also also ended up ordering two more Boris records over the last couple days - the Boris/Uniform collab and the Reincarnation Rose single.

e: thinking about it - reincarnation rose might be one of the better starting places for people wanting to hear how boris goes without digging into a full record - one shredfest and one heavy drone in one 25-minute package

hexwren fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 8, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The re:call set on that Bowie collection has some of my favorite tracks he ever made on it. Hell of a price of admission but drat they're good.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hexwren posted:

The comment on Songs From the Big Chair (of which I do have a copy which I really love) does bring to mind a certain paradox of this whole thing, which we've probably discussed before, but...

...for the records that really sold millions and millions of copies, why do you never see those out in the wild? Even a couple decades ago when I started buying my own records regularly (weeps in middle aged) the records in the bins in the new-and-used shops were rarely the most popular ones. Was there a copy of Dark Side of the Moon or Thriller in Arboria Records, State College, PA? Nope, but there was definitely three loving copies of Jamming With Edward that nobody wanted to send to the dumpster. poo poo, I was actively looking for Tears for Fears records and didn't get one until several years later. I get the idea that anything that desirable gets hoarded or rebought immediately, but...millions of records. It's fuckin' weird.

Anyway.

It's not much of anything obscure or special, but I was doing some organizing of recent purchases today and figured I'd take a few photos of what I've bought over the last month or so. One trip to half-price books, one ridiculous unit of mail-order, and two photos' worth of record store day:

(doublechecking that my imgur poo poo is logged-in...)

also ordered the 3LP Live at Leeds with that Bowie box from the same seller, forgot to shoot that one.

Also also ended up ordering two more Boris records over the last couple days - the Boris/Uniform collab and the Reincarnation Rose single.

e: thinking about it - reincarnation rose might be one of the better starting places for people wanting to hear how boris goes without digging into a full record - one shredfest and one heavy drone in one 25-minute package

BOC s/t ftw

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Finally replaced my 2000s-era WS ST I gave to a friend for christmas about ten years ago, and got the thing with the lady too since i had that vault coupon and discount. The CDs are Almodovar OSTs that were being discontinued from Screen Archives Entertainment

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

hexwren posted:

A lot of that stuff is collecting dust in boomer basements and garages despite that they haven't owned a working turntable since Reagan was in office because they have "sentimental value". But mostly it's just that anything popular or famous gets snatched up fast whether it's in a record store, flea market or thrift store often even when it's completely trashed. Patience is key in this hobby unless you want to pay absurd premiums.

Live at Leeds is an amazing album and not just one of my favorite live albums but one of my favorite albums in general. Especially the expanded edition with the whole show.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

A lot of that stuff is collecting dust in boomer basements and garages despite that they haven't owned a working turntable since Reagan was in office because they have "sentimental value". But mostly it's just that anything popular or famous gets snatched up fast whether it's in a record store, flea market or thrift store often even when it's completely trashed. Patience is key in this hobby unless you want to pay absurd premiums.

Live at Leeds is an amazing album and not just one of my favorite live albums but one of my favorite albums in general. Especially the expanded edition with the whole show.

I was so disappointed when I got Live At Leeds on vinyl after growing up with the CD.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Ay when did Horzu copies of Magical Mystery Tour bloat to like a million dollars?

I hate this hobby sometimes.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Speaking of dusty basements. My old friend called me up and said he had some records in the basement. He has been living in the same house for about 25 years and has had countless people (myself included) rent rooms from him so poo poo gets left when they move out. So he had about 4 big boxes of records and a hundred or so 7 inches and a bunch of country 78 albums. I passed on all the 78's and classical. The next box was full of all the classic rock; Zepplin, Yes, Creedence, Jeff Beck... stuff like that. Unfortunately when I went to pull them out they had been soaked over the years so all the albums were stuck together and the covers were basically glued to the records. I ended up with all the 7" and a couple boxes of LPs. Of the LP's this was kinda all that was worth saving.

as well as copy of Iron and Wine Sheppard's Dog still in the shrink :shrug:

My god everything was so dusty and dirty I kinda didn't want to bring it in my house.

So right now I am going through the singles.

That box on the left is the discard pile. poo poo that is thrashed beyond all comprehension. Too bad. There was a bunch of James Brown and that Loma record. I am in the process of washing, testing, and re-sleeving right now. I'm about halfway through and so far it looks like I will be keeping about 15-20% of these. Nothing crazy but some nice little 60's soul gems in there. Most of them are kinda rough but playable.

There is also a little stack of Yacht Rockish stuff that I might keep... and there is a little pile of late 90's hardcore/punk that I'm not really into that will probably get donated. (nothing is worth $)

Oh yeah. And this.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I love this hobby sometimes. haha but yes it can be frustrating as gently caress.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

I was so disappointed when I got Live At Leeds on vinyl after growing up with the CD.

Yeah that's the version I've always had and is why I never sought out a copy of the original LP.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Ay when did Horzu copies of Magical Mystery Tour bloat to like a million dollars?

When the pandemic happened.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

CPL593H posted:

My father-in-law is like that. He's got a ton of records in the basement in storage. I asked if I could borrow them on a semi-perminant basis since I'd listen to them and keep them safe. I was told no because "he still listens to them." He most definitely does not and his record player has been unplugged with stuff piled on top of it for at least 12 years.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

sporklift posted:

Speaking of dusty basements. My old friend called me up and said he had some records in the basement. He has been living in the same house for about 25 years and has had countless people (myself included) rent rooms from him so poo poo gets left when they move out. So he had about 4 big boxes of records and a hundred or so 7 inches and a bunch of country 78 albums. I passed on all the 78's and classical. The next box was full of all the classic rock; Zepplin, Yes, Creedence, Jeff Beck... stuff like that. Unfortunately when I went to pull them out they had been soaked over the years so all the albums were stuck together and the covers were basically glued to the records. I ended up with all the 7" and a couple boxes of LPs. Of the LP's this was kinda all that was worth saving.

as well as copy of Iron and Wine Sheppard's Dog still in the shrink :shrug:

My god everything was so dusty and dirty I kinda didn't want to bring it in my house.

So right now I am going through the singles.

That box on the left is the discard pile. poo poo that is thrashed beyond all comprehension. Too bad. There was a bunch of James Brown and that Loma record. I am in the process of washing, testing, and re-sleeving right now. I'm about halfway through and so far it looks like I will be keeping about 15-20% of these. Nothing crazy but some nice little 60's soul gems in there. Most of them are kinda rough but playable.

There is also a little stack of Yacht Rockish stuff that I might keep... and there is a little pile of late 90's hardcore/punk that I'm not really into that will probably get donated. (nothing is worth $)

Oh yeah. And this.

I love this hobby sometimes. haha but yes it can be frustrating as gently caress.

90s punk and hardcore you say?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Hot Diggity! posted:

90s punk and hardcore you say?

Maybe? I dunno. Some is punk. Some is more metaly punk. Not my thing.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

sporklift posted:

Maybe? I dunno. Some is punk. Some is more metaly punk. Not my thing.

That's some fun stuff! Crimpshrine and the Statics are both good.

E: Didn't notice that comp in the middle has both Born Against and Heroin on it. That owns.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 9, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

I am expressing interest in the 90s punk and hardcore, if you're just tossing em :q:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H snagged them.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 10, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Been on a buying binge myself lately and wanted to pick up some favorites (because at least the Portishead records seem to go out of print fairly often and then the prices loving double)

Perfect records through and through

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Been on a buying binge myself lately and wanted to pick up some favorites (because at least the Portishead records seem to go out of print fairly often and then the prices loving double)

Hell yeah Portishead. I don't remember how much I spent for my copy of "Dummy" but I'd pay it again in a heartbeat because that album is so loving good.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

This was pretty cool to see on social media today, Shake It is worth checking out if you're ever in Cincinnati (Torn Light Records as well!).

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

It's pretty different from Portishead but their drummer Geoff Barrow's band BEAK is really loving good.

pwn
May 27, 2004

CaptainBeefart posted:

This was pretty cool to see on social media today, Shake It is worth checking out if you're ever in Cincinnati (Torn Light Records as well!).

My mans a true head for those shellacs...

pwn posted:

In other news, from 1975—

Suggested soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOCNqQJhJJ4

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

CaptainBeefart posted:

He's gotta be the youngest living person to not listen to anything made after 1942 (which is why I always think he's centuries older).

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CaptainBeefart posted:

Oh man I was just asking someone if he was still with us. Nice.

So I got a new mix up and I'm giving away a record to promote it. Since spring has sprung I thought it would be best to give away a brand new sealed copy of The Bootleg Series Vol. 16: Springtime in New York by Bob Dylan. Discogs FOR FREE. As you know the 1980's were the most beloved of Bobby D's eras so get in on these jams. Anyways. All ya gotta do is leave a comment on the current mix (Moss Appeal #44) that says "Thanks for the hot wax" and you are entered to win. I can only ship to the United States :911: Make sure to PM me with your mixcloud user name so I can sort it out.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-44-w-pete-moss/

quote:

1. War - Four Corndered Room
2. Kind and Kinky Zoo - La Jupe Volante
3. Can - Vitamin C
4. Damon - Poor Poor Genie
5. LimoNada- Pies Descalzos
6. Novak's Kapelle - Hypodermic Needle
7. Shuggie Ottis - Hurricane
8. Raphael Saadiq - Keep Marchin'
9. Lonnie Youngblood - Go Go Shoes
10. Pacific Gas and Electric - Staggalee
11. Instant Karma! - Shine On
12. Stevie Wonder - Big Brother
13. Bobbie Humphrie - Harlem River Drive
14. Lonnie Smith - Move Your Hand

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

sporklift posted:

Oh man I was just asking someone if he was still with us. Nice.

So I got a new mix up and I'm giving away a record to promote it. Since spring has sprung I thought it would be best to give away a brand new sealed copy of The Bootleg Series Vol. 16: Springtime in New York by Bob Dylan. Discogs FOR FREE. As you know the 1980's were the most beloved of Bobby D's eras so get in on these jams. Anyways. All ya gotta do is leave a comment on the current mix (Moss Appeal #44) that says "Thanks for the hot wax" and you are entered to win. I can only ship to the United States :911: Make sure to PM me with your mixcloud user name so I can sort it out.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-44-w-pete-moss/

Springtime in NY is very good for anyone interested. It’s got a lot of the great SOL and infidels outtakes and some stripped down Empire Burlesque stuff that lets that material breathe a little. And tour rehearsals with covers. Really solid.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Blue Lines was one of the first albums I bought from an actual record store and it's all been downhill from there. (God, the texture on that cover...)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So that Grado cartridge I got, I've been having problems with it, namely a popping sound. I posted about it a little earlier. I emailed Grado, didn't hear anything, experimented with a zerostat gun (which made it way worse), emailed them again... turned out their emails to me were bouncing back. I ended up getting called by Rich Grado and he thinks it's internal to the cartridge.

Just kind of cool that Rich Grado himself called me. I'm going to be sending this one back and getting a replacement sent out. Hopefully it helps. I like the sound but not the POP......POP.......POP......

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
That's nothing. Mr Crosley personally reaches out to everyone who purchases a turntable with a collab offer on Insta and Tiktok.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

My Uncle knows Jonathan Audio Technica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Harry Dean Stanton talked me into upgrading to a T.92 M2. Rip