Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Admiralty Flag posted:

Yeah, I went to public school in Texas for a few years and most every teacher had their paddle on display as a "deterrent" against bad behavior. The nasty ones did have air holes for swinging faster. Don't know if they (the holes) actually worked. The paddles didn't, for the most part, as 12 year olds are going to act like 12 year olds no matter what.

I did the full hog in Texas public schools. We got take home forms every year where the parent had to sign off on if it was cool for staff to beat you. One of those things that seemed incredibly normal at the time and seems incredibly yikes now.

Only thing that comes close was the dress code crackdown. Literally had the 50something discipline principal going classroom to classroom on like 3rd day of the semester issuing infractions for girls wearing sleeveless shirts or showing a visible bra strap. Never mind it’s a loving desert and 40 degrees in the shade right now. They were distracting the fellas, who need to be in top shape to whip those losers over in Brownfield.

Texas public school is a loving trip is what I’m saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My Mom broke spatulas and two wooden spoons on me before she switched to the one with the hole.

Perfect, round welts. When that broke in use, she got angry, and reached for the closest thing to hit me with- a phone cord. Unfortunately, she ripped the curly one out, and when she went to hit me, it expanded and stretched around me, wrapping me up and sending me into fits of laughter. This mad her more angry, and as she tried to hit again, it jjust got tighter, making her furious and me hysterical.

She laid hands on me a year later, and I told her "If you touch me again, I will put you in the ground. Sit down, I'm leaving." Never lived with her again.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

VesuviusSurvivor posted:

My father used to have a spatula he kept in the visor of his car that he called "Mr. Spatula" and when I or my brother (usually me, because my brother was 5 years older than me and would silently hit me and then make me cry and my dad would get angry about me crying for no reason because he believed my brother wasn't the psychopath he was/is) made him mad he would start threatening to get out Mr. Spatula unless whatever made him angry stopped, then if that wasn't enough he'd whack whoever he was mad at with the spatula. At some point this midlly abusive behavior became a joke in my family because he had stopped with the spatula but there was a spatula-print in the padding of the car where he used to keep it. I mean, it's messed up, but funny. I think it's funny.

There's a good quote from John Darnielle about one of his songs:

John Darnielle posted:

So this is a song, it's one of those songs where when I start to tell the stories about the -- this time in my life, which is my adolescence, stuff strikes me as funny and it doesn't seem to strike other people as funny except for other people who got themselves slapped around a little in their houses and stuff. And then they will laugh and then somebody next to them will give them a dirty look. And I will be like, no, no, he knows it's funny because you lived, right, so everything is funny if you manage to live to laugh about it later, right. And so this song is about, uh -- not knowing for sure that that's how it's going to turn out, but hoping nervously that it will.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My father would just use whatever was within reach including stabbing me in the hand with a fork when I reached for the last biscuit one night during dinner. I think I was eleven.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The child abuse stories are a little beyond the scope of this thread, no?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
These child abuse stories are distinctly unpoggers

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Out on the forums having the time of my life with a bunch of resolved childhood traumas. They're all just out of frame, laughing too.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh, I'm sorry, I laugh about it now.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yeah, these stories are making me wish I told my folks to gently caress off years earlier than I did, and they are not helping the invasive thoughts of revenge.

Going for a walk, and will see if I can record some birdsong for y'alls

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I think we're done talking about Mister Sad Spoon. Thank.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

”some random coworker of yours on facebook” posted:

REMEMBER BACK IN THA DAY WHEN MAMA BEAT YO rear end SO HARD U COULDNT WALK 😂 😂 😂 MAN I REALLY HAD IT COMIN 😂 😂 😹 MISS U MAMA FOREBR RIP ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm sorry if I put anyone in a bad headspace, genuinely.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I always like it when people are all "yeah, my parents beat the hell out of me, but I deserved it. I was a bad kid always shoplifting and smoking and drinking and stealing cars." Like, clearly beating your kids doesn't work if they graduate from petty theft to grand theft auto in between the beatings.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

mama got the sugar diabetes just about took her out and then she dead. LOL (lots of lov)e MAMA

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
New record?
https://twitter.com/AidanCTweets/status/1656219402914742272?t=wbVoWYPKLoc2MBkjSKBKHA&s=19

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
I still can't believe Kelly Cadigan turned into a Blair White "pick me" chud fuckface

When I first heard about it I was hoping it was a bit but it is clearly not

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

I still can't believe Kelly Cadigan turned into a Blair White "pick me" chud fuckface

When I first heard about it I was hoping it was a bit but it is clearly not

What was her claim to fame before this? The only stuff I can find on her is regarding her current, uh, "story arc".

NY Post posted:

Kelly Cadigan began her medical transition from male to female when she was just 15. Today, eight years later, she’s happy with her decision. But, even still, Cadigan thinks other trans kids should have to be 18 before they make irreversible medical decisions.

Literally just pulling the ladder up behind her. :psyduck:

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Read After Burning posted:

What was her claim to fame before this? The only stuff I can find on her is regarding her current, uh, "story arc".

Literally just pulling the ladder up behind her. :psyduck:

Yeah turns out she's a really hardcore ladder puller. And I dunno, she was one of the first people I followed on tiktok when I first got it a few years ago, and she had some funny and/or insightful videos about being trans. I only open tiktok like once every few months at this point, so I hadn't seen anything out of the ordinary from her until her now-infamous tweet/video about being "on the right".

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

That reminds me, I keep seeing this poo poo about kids transitioning doing "PERMANENT IRREVERSIBLE DAMAGE" to their body, but...isn't the main medical thing for trans kids just, like, puberty blockers? Which, as I understand it, do NOT cause "irreversible changes", that's kinda their whole point?

I know the ultimate answer is "Transphobic fear-mongering", but I just want to make sure I'm correct before I inevitably end up arguing this point with a transphobe.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Mostly correct, though top surgery has been known to be allowed after many many consultations with therapists and doctors and parents iirc (though take that with a huge grain of salt, I may be misremembering). But beyond that, just puberty blockers and HRT. Which are reversible.

Riot Carol Danvers has a new favorite as of 21:03 on May 10, 2023

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Read After Burning posted:

That reminds me, I keep seeing this poo poo about kids transitioning doing "PERMANENT IRREVERSIBLE DAMAGE" to their body, but...isn't the main medical thing for trans kids just, like, puberty blockers? Which, as I understand it, do NOT cause "irreversible changes", that's kinda their whole point?

I know the ultimate answer is "Transphobic fear-mongering", but I just want to make sure I'm correct before I inevitably end up arguing this point with a transphobe.

A lot of them insist "The puberty blockers are how they chemically castrated gay men!" and insane poo poo like that. It's covid/ivermectin levels of nutjobbery.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

A lot of them insist "The puberty blockers are how they chemically castrated gay men!" and insane poo poo like that. It's covid/ivermectin levels of nutjobbery.

....But apparently chemical castration is mostly reversible too (excluding permanent issues re. bone density)! :psyduck:

This is one of those "Even if we follow your chain of 'logic' here and assume you're correct, it STILL don't make sense" things, and I hate those!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Puberty blockers “to give them more time to decide” is a bad policy because almost everyone who goes on puberty blockers goes forward with HRT.*

If the patient wants blockers first, let them have them, but requiring months or years on blockers isn’t medically justified. It’s a compromise with bad people and with well-meaning but misinformed people, and it doesn’t work because these people view puberty blockers as just as bad as HRT.

*Excepting the treatment of precocious puberty, which is after all the original purpose of the drugs. Every once in a while there’s some “gotcha” journalism about doctors prescribing puberty blockers to “kids as young as eight”, but if an eight-year-old is entering puberty, that’s a significant problem that deserves medical intervention.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I did the full hog in Texas public schools.

Call me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Platystemon posted:

Puberty blockers “to give them more time to decide” is a bad policy because almost everyone who goes on puberty blockers goes forward with HRT.*

If the patient wants blockers first, let them have them, but requiring months or years on blockers isn’t medically justified. It’s a compromise with bad people and with well-meaning but misinformed people, and it doesn’t work because these people view puberty blockers as just as bad as HRT.

*Excepting the treatment of precocious puberty, which is after all the original purpose of the drugs. Every once in a while there’s some “gotcha” journalism about doctors prescribing puberty blockers to “kids as young as eight”, but if an eight-year-old is entering puberty, that’s a significant problem that deserves medical intervention.

Kids are hitting puberty younger and younger these days as a general rule, anecdotal for sure, but I have a cousin that got her first period at 9.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Air Skwirl posted:

Kids are hitting puberty younger and younger these days as a general rule, anecdotal for sure, but I have a cousin that got her first period at 9.

My mum was 10 and that was in 1967. But for sure it's probably advantageous to delay it a year or two if possible.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Op/Ed: Puberty blockers were safe until Indiana legislators and governor said otherwise

Copying the text because American news websites don’t like Europeans.

quote:

When I was 7 years old, I started going through puberty. Precocious puberty is common in my mother’s family, so she immediately recognized the signs and took me to Riley Children’s Hospital. For the next few years, I visited a pediatric endocrinologist to determine how best to halt and delay my puberty. My parents decided they wanted to pursue the standard, tried-and-true treatment: GnRH analogue therapy, more commonly known as puberty blockers.

For both my parents and my doctors, there was never any safety concern with puberty blockers. The primary side effect (potential bone thinning) was known and treatable, and my parents firmly believed that the benefits outweighed the risks. It never occurred to anyone involved to think of puberty blockers as dangerous. They have been in use since the 1980s, and they are the primary treatment for precocious puberty. There was never any doubt that this medicine was safe or that I should have access to it.

Now, under Senate Bill 480, it is illegal in Indiana to provide puberty blockers to minors to treat gender dysphoria. This ban’s language ensures that people like me, who have medical conditions that are not gender dysphoria, could access the necessary care. Here’s the catch: at 12, I came out as transgender. So, at 7, puberty blockers were the appropriate treatment for me, but five years later, they posed such a great danger to me that it was made illegal to prescribe them?

Politicians’ explanations hardly shed light on this incoherence. Rep. Joanna King, a sponsor of the bill, said that it banned treatment that is “irreversible, harmful and life-altering.” Attorney General Todd Rokita claimed that puberty blockers cause infertility. But neither statement is true. The documented infertility in trans youth who took blockers is a result of the hormone replacement therapy they later took, not the blockers themselves. The entire function of blockers is to delay the irreversible, life-altering effects of puberty. In children with precocious puberty, this delay allows them to start puberty at an appropriate age. For transgender children, this delay prevents them from having to go through permanent physical changes before they are old enough to fully understand and commit to a certain type of puberty. Blockers are the solution to delaying the very “irreversible” medical care about which Republican legislators are allegedly concerned.

Though I am relieved that Hoosier children with precocious puberty and other hormonal disorders will still have access to necessary medical treatment, I’m dumbfounded by the implications of this allowance. By permitting children without gender dysphoria to access the very medications they are banning, the legislature conceded the crux of their defense of this bill: They are admitting that blockers are safe for children; they just don’t want transgender children to have access.

Having been both the child with precocious puberty and the transgender child suffering the consequences of puberty, I find this particularly ludicrous. What about me changed so radically with my gender dysphoria diagnosis that I no longer deserved the medical care that was previously open to me? My reproductive organs would react identically to the blockers (that is, simply not developing until I stopped taking them) whether I realized I am transgender or not. For all their posturing, legislators are not actually concerned about the safety of transgender children. If they were, they would have listened to the 200 Hoosier health care professionals who opposed the ban due to the harm it will cause to the very children they claim to protect. They would have done the same research my parents did over a decade ago and come to the same conclusion.

The narrative that puberty blockers are some new, dangerous experimental drug is blatantly false. I am far from the first person in my family to be diagnosed with precocious puberty, nor am I the first to seek puberty blockers as treatment. My family history is just one story confirming what medical studies have concluded: puberty blockers are safe. They were safe for me when I was experiencing precocious puberty, and despite what the Indiana legislature and the governor claim, they are safe for today’s transgender youth. This ban is not about safety, and it is time we stop pretending otherwise.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

"Day x of being on the right"

What is with these people and saying stuff like this? Are they being traded between political alignments like players between hockey teams?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
They think they are. They think that their (dumbass, idiotic) opinion matters so much that whatever side they are on must be the correct side because they are on it.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mak0rz posted:

"Day x of being on the right"

What is with these people and saying stuff like this? Are they being traded between political alignments like players between hockey teams?

That's not fair. Hockey players stop their education in Jr high and have lots of brain trauma. They're way more mentally fit than independents.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The anti trans argument seems to be:

-Puberty blockers are irreversible, cause bone loss and sterility.

-Letting kids transition is harmful because they might change their mind after undergoing permanent damage.

-The left has been lying about minors undergoing transition, because deep down they know it is bad but they don't want the normies to know about that.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/ThePopTingz/status/1656304501601587203

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Ride share and food delivery functionality to be announced soon.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Why half-rear end one thing when you can half-rear end everything?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
X, the Everything App™

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Schubalts posted:

They think they are. They think that their (dumbass, idiotic) opinion matters so much that whatever side they are on must be the correct side because they are on it.

I wonder how much of it is "I need to get rich quick! I'll be a youtube/tiktok influencer, those people make bank. Time to intricately plan out my meteoric rise to stardom and set milestones for how many followers I will have by X, Y, and Z date, as fueled by my carefully metered video releases pandering to my chosen audience"

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Platystemon posted:

X, the Everything App™

It's genuinely so cool that Elon Musk thinks the world wants a single app for literally everything, and they want that app administrated and designed by a guy who posts memes like a junior high homeroom teacher.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Has Musk claimed to have invented the very concept of “apps” yet?

He will, if he hasn’t already.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cocaine Bear posted:

That's not fair. Hockey players stop their education in Jr high and have lots of brain trauma. They're way more mentally fit than independents.

don't look up how bad the political opinions of hockey players are, i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1656168795445116929