Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

WhyteRyce posted:

One of my previous jobs involved getting very mad at our internal validation tools teams because those teams would want to rewrite our working tool suites with new ones and prioritizing new software design paradigms, concepts, and whiz bang features over requirements or actually being able to do its job

Hey would you like to use this new config file format we created that bolts on extra features to the json format? What? No? What do you mean you want to use off the shelf parsers for json we can give you a custom library instead

Also one time I had one of those software engineers tell me they weren’t going to deliver a fix that was blocking PRQ because they had some doxygen requirements that took priority

Lol. We have always been our own tools teams which usually means the tools work but are horrifically ugly and near unmaintainable. Last company we had almost 20 years of technical debt meaning we would be tied to a specific version of TCL forever because the effort of moving everything to another language would be too great.

And then one day we got pinged by activestate about the number of activetcl installs we had which prompted a frenzy of trying to figure out what was calling home. We originally had a site license but they wanted to reneg on it and we had to move everything over to a free tcl interpreter. That was ugly enough, moving everything to python or something would be just a disaster.

Thankfully I moved to a new company whose validation was a blank slate so can make choices for which I’ll be cursed for in a decade+ :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1655163273258364929?s=20

I'm surprised by how badly China is struggling with chipmaking

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I don't know why this is a surprise. Blindly copying without understanding the reason why things are done the way they are done, with all the little nuances and details is peak Chinese.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

shrike82 posted:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1655163273258364929?s=20

I'm surprised by how badly China is struggling with chipmaking

There's two Chinese chipmaking efforts that might actually get somewhere: Centaur's x86 license ended up with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhaoxin, who are making expensive x86 chips that perform somewhere around a 2500K or 3570, which is honestly not bad in a vacuum and perfectly usable for client computing, the problem is that obviously Intel and AMD wipe the floor with them and Zhaoxin will never be able to sell at high volumes in a country where Intel or AMD processors are available.

The much more promising Chinese chip design effort that I'm aware of is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loongson, who also are producing real, usable processors that perform somewhere broadly around Sandy Bridge. For better / worse, they don't have an x86 license and had made MIPS chips for a long time. MIPS died, and also didn't have wide enough vector extensions for what Loongson wanted to do, so Loongsoon filed the trademark off of MIPS and made up their own copy of MIPS called Loongarch. If you get close to any native toolchains on Github, you'll see Loongson developers arguing with the maintainers to get Loongarch support into projects, even relatively little used scientific stuff. I keep running across it and getting a chuckle.

Turns out that "adding Loongarch support" involves copy pasting the entire MIPS section of something and sticking a "Loongarch" tag on it. There's been some pushback.

https://www.phoronix.com/news/LoongArch-MIPS-Copy-Kernel posted:

This is also causing frustrations by upstream maintainers reviewing LoongArch patches and questioning the LoongArch vs. MIPS. In one of the patches, "You keep saying "not MIPS", and yet all I see is a blind copy of the MIPS code...This is still the same antiquated, broken MIPS code, only with a different name."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/dylan522p/status/1655048861084450816

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Phobeste posted:

it's true that this isn't how people operate and people are lazy but it's also true that you need to consider the constraints and goals of those people, which is: ship stuff so people can use it. you can consider this in capitalism terms (this is how you make money) but you don't have to, in general you'd want to deliver something when it improves life, right, which is maybe before it's perfect.
Awesome post with some great perspective, thanks!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I don't know why this is a surprise. Blindly copying without understanding the reason why things are done the way they are done, with all the little nuances and details is peak Chinese.

It's peak china, but in a very different way. I guarantee you these are Intel chips, but with the IHS sanded down and their own label re-printed. Probably they muck with the bios / OS to report the CPU name as "Powerstar P3" as well.

That way they can pretend it's their own domestic chip, and sell PCs to the government -- who are mandated to only buy 'chinese' chips. Everyone in the government pretends not to notice that this chip, that performs way better than other domestic chips, is an Intel i3 with a new label. Hooray, Made in China 2025 is very success, all hail great leader!

(All of this is more about the constant face-saving idiocy of authoritarian regimes than anything uniquely Chinese.)

There was also a deal AMD was doing with a chinese company, where the chinese fab made first-gen Zen chips for the domestic market. I dunno if those are still being made.

lmao: "AVX/AVX2 was also disabled, but the research has suspected that it happened due to a bug rather than was done intentionally."

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

As a Canadian who worked for Nortel Networks as a coop I am ~extremely~ salty about Chinese IP theft and state companies like Huawei being allowed to profit in the very places they stole from.

Also it was interesting they were supposedly going hard into RISC-V but I have seen very little movement on that, or perhaps I missed it.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Even if Intel stick to releasing 5 nodes in 4 years, all these layoffs are going to reduce their ability to capitalise on them.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Coasting on sandybridge for like a decade and not innovating properly will do that to you.

My condolences to the people who have lost their jobs for sure. But stagnant things stagnate. Intel could have made a lot of obvious decisions much better. They didn't make any attempt at all regarding better power efficiency for example, now they're getting reamed in the server/database space.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Even if Intel stick to releasing 5 nodes in 4 years, all these layoffs are going to reduce their ability to capitalise on them.

They're going to slip the nodes, slip the new architectures, and then AMD, Ampere, and AWS will take Intel's lunch money.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Pat made people eat a paycut so they wouldn’t have to fire people

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

WhyteRyce posted:

Pat made people eat a paycut so they wouldn’t have to fire people

Remember when he said “this is the bottom” like three quarters ago

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

wet_goods posted:

Remember when he said “this is the bottom” like three quarters ago

Is Ghostty a fniancial analyst for Intel?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So I completely missed this last week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YBeriMsDS0

So, apparently I completely missed that all the old Intel NAND and RST people wound up at a place called Solidigm. Or maybe I did know that, but just assumed that all of their products were being sold under the greater SK Hynix brand, and not their own marque.

I guess this is welcome news. Samsung drives make me skittsh these days, and knowing that these are the old Intel folks is strangely reassuring.

edit: Holy poo poo, their drives are dirt cheap. 2TB PCie 4.0 for $99? https://www.amazon.com/SolidigmTM-Internal-Solid-State-SSDPFKNU010TZX1/dp/B0B9855VGS?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

edit edit: They support Intel 660p and 670p SSDs with their driver, and if Allyn Malvantano is to be believed, you should go and get their driver.

edit edit edit: alright, gently caress it, in for one. I can afford $100 to gently caress around with 2 TB SSD for shits and giggles. Worst comes to worst, I have a new NVME game drive.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 9, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

A local Intel office got split off with a chunk of people going to Solidigm, and they're sharing lab space for a couple years until they get their own dedicated office space. Pretty smooth transition from what I've heard!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

priznat posted:

Pretty smooth transition from what I've heard!

Solidigm completely underestimated the transition and what needed to be done. They had people using two laptops for a long time after the split because they couldn’t get all their poo poo off of Intels network or environment. They were still using Intel branded JIRA for the longest drat time

Solidigm announced layoffs like two months ago and haven’t given out any details to anyone so employees are demoralized or pissed

Also Solidigm is dropping all floating gate stuff which makes the value proposition for Hynix really iffy

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 9, 2023

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Klyith posted:

lmao: "AVX/AVX2 was also disabled, but the research has suspected that it happened due to a bug rather than was done intentionally."

It would be funny if AVX got disabled as part of a check for "GenuineIntel".

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh drat haha I haven't talked to the folks who moved over in ages but they were really excited by it, but they were probably blinded by the newness.

Come to think of it there was some pretty major HR screwups right off the start but people shrugged it off as just HR being HR.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

drat, there's like, a 40% markup on them in Canada... but that's still like $165 CAD + tax for a 2 TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive that doesn't have a fly-by-night name attached to it.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Also when the CEO of solidigm got suddenly surprised fired there was no external announcement for some something stupid like over a week. The only official confirmation external people had was looking at Rob Crookes LinkedIn which had his current occupation as assistant vineyard manager

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Its cheap because its qlc

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So I completely missed this last week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YBeriMsDS0

So, apparently I completely missed that all the old Intel NAND and RST people wound up at a place called Solidigm. Or maybe I did know that, but just assumed that all of their products were being sold under the greater SK Hynix brand, and not their own marque.

I guess this is welcome news. Samsung drives make me skittsh these days, and knowing that these are the old Intel folks is strangely reassuring.

edit: Holy poo poo, their drives are dirt cheap. 2TB PCie 4.0 for $99? https://www.amazon.com/SolidigmTM-Internal-Solid-State-SSDPFKNU010TZX1/dp/B0B9855VGS?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

edit edit: They support Intel 660p and 670p SSDs with their driver, and if Alvin Malvantano is to be believed, you should go and get their driver.

edit edit edit: alright, gently caress it, in for one. I can afford $100 to gently caress around with 2 TB SSD for shits and giggles. Worst comes to worst, I have a new NVME game drive.

https://www.crucial.com/ssd/p5-plus/CT2000P5PSSD8

20 dollars more dollars will buy you 50% better read and write performance and be from a name you actually recognize.

Kazinsal posted:

drat, there's like, a 40% markup on them in Canada

That's just part of living in Canada.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Methanar posted:

20 dollars more dollars will buy you 50% better read and write performance and be from a name you actually recognize.

don't know canada prices but team MP34, team cardea zero z440, HP EX950, HP FX900, or HP FX900 Pro are the ones I'd mostly recommend now, all DRAM+TLC of various pcie speeds/costs.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 9, 2023

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Wild EEPROM posted:

Its cheap because its qlc

Ugh, not even once

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Methanar posted:

What is the potentially best PCIe 4 drive at the moment is the Solidigm P44 Pro though, at $149 for 2 TB.

Also i wouldnt paint Solidigm as like a fly by night "no-name" brand...

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Cygni posted:

What is the potentially best PCIe 4 drive at the moment is the Solidigm P44 Pro though, at $149 for 2 TB.

I've never heard of them before this page of the thread.

Okay, if those speeds are true, that's actually kind of nuts.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cygni posted:

Why not do the WD SN850X for $149? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B7CMZ3QH

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

That's what I'd do, but I do already have two of these.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 9, 2023

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Methanar posted:

It’s a new name for the merged SSD units of Intel and SK Hynix. So yeah, not exactly a small operation here.

Josh Lyman posted:

P44 Pro and 990 Pro are both a bit faster (obvi testing difference in play here), and the 990 Pro has uh… other issues. SN850X is a great drive tho, it’s just prolly not the absolute best performer at the moment. Those are the top 3 though imo.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They're also using it as a consumer brand for SK hynix products I think (eg. the Solidigm P44 Pro is roughly a SK hynix Platinum P41, the latter isn't officially sold in Europe).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Methanar posted:

Okay, if those speeds are true, that's actually kind of nuts.

Solidigm = SK Hynix.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Solidigm is an standalone subsidiary under Hynix. Originally they were shipping their own products with their own controllers with their own NAND with their own firmware sold by their own teams.

But SK fired their CEO and canned their entire floating gate NAND efforts so they may not be so independent long term.

A lot of old guard Intel employees went there. In Folsom there was a question whether it was better for career prospects to go back to Intel or stay with Solidigm. That’s still probably an open question

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 9, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

Solidigm completely underestimated the transition and what needed to be done. They had people using two laptops for a long time after the split because they couldn’t get all their poo poo off of Intels network or environment. They were still using Intel branded JIRA for the longest drat time

Solidigm announced layoffs like two months ago and haven’t given out any details to anyone so employees are demoralized or pissed

Also Solidigm is dropping all floating gate stuff which makes the value proposition for Hynix really iffy

gently caress JIRA

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

gently caress JIRA

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
I have an old enterprise SSD and optane nvme sitting in my computer. The optane drive is managed by the Intel Memory& Storage Tool, which refuses to support the enterprise SSD. Solidigm has a storage management tool that is literally the same program with a different logo, which refuses to support the optane drive.

:capitalism:

Beef fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 9, 2023

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone notice this clusterfuck?
https://www.techradar.com/news/intel-investigating-bootguard-security-key-leak-following-msi-hack

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Yeah, saw it on the Register.

We need something better than unrevocable keys we're just hoping won't leak.
Painful.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, saw it on the Register.

We need something better than unrevocable keys we're just hoping won't leak.
Painful.

I can't wait for custom rootkit style hacks for games to come out that require MSI motherboards to load, because cheating in videogames is worth loading Ring -1 code into your machine from hax4u.ru/fortnite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

loving hell the Solidigm P44 Pro is fast.