Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

This is part of the reason for the Shakespeare authorship debate. Apart from being a genius writer he was a pretty normal guy, and some people find that unsatisfying.

Also he quit writing and acting as soon as he could afford to and made a bunch of money trading grain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

R&M has had moments where you can see a shockingly mature understanding of the concept from some of the writers, but because arrogant, contemptuous irreverence is the engine driving R&M it can never actually hold for very long. Venture Bros. often runs away from its own premises and has worse follow-through than I do when trying to throw a baseball, but you can tell the team doesn't have anywhere near the same self-loathing despite a much more vulnerable level of self-awareness.

I know Harmon has avoided some of the backlash given what Roiland is all about but Rick is also dripping with Harmon's thoughts about himself. He sees himself as some genius (writer or otherwise) and everyone else who doesn't get him is a dumbshit who couldn't possibly hold a candle to his genius. I know art=/=artists but its hard to separate in this show.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Dan Harmon is a ridiculously gifted writer. Community has stretches of brilliance, and when R&M was firing on all cylinders, it was a good show with some very creative ideas. His podcast was an experience, he'd pretty often just talk out story ideas, seemingly off the top of his head, while drunk on stage with his fiancee and friends. He'd also freestyle rap poorly, frequently.

He is a weirdo drunk who oscillates between deifying himself and sounding like he's about to walk into the sea.

This is the guy that had the lead of his new TV show say this:

quote:

I discovered at a very early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I'm God or truth is relative.

You can see the megalomania way back in like 2009. If he could reign that in a bit I think everyone would be happier.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Megalomania and suicidal ideation have a much closer relationship than you'd think.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so this isn't an example of older media that has aged badly but rather, current media that's already aged badly:

https://twitter.com/shawalliam/status/1655931619226816517

but the reason i'm posting it isn't even about that, but rather, this is from a show called The Good Doctor, which i (and a lot of people have) just found out about, but it's already had SIX seasons! :psyduck:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's also probably 10 times more popular than any current show that you watch.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

oh i don't doubt it

same case when i found out about that show Yellowstone

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The extra hosed up thing about The Good Doctor is that partway through, there's an episode featuring another (undiagnosed) autistic character, and his portrayal actually mostly works. He's got the habits and minor ticks, but is actually written as a person first and an autist second. Then of course the episode ends, the production learns nothing, and the main character remains a massive caricature stumbling from one meltdown to the next.

e: Fun fact: That character is played by Christian Clemenson, who previously played a different autistic character in Boston Legal. And while that portrayal was still fairly stereotypical (on account of airing in like 2005), it sure was a drat sight better than The loving Good Doctor.

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 07:28 on May 10, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mr Interweb posted:

so this isn't an example of older media that has aged badly but rather, current media that's already aged badly:

https://twitter.com/shawalliam/status/1655931619226816517

but the reason i'm posting it isn't even about that, but rather, this is from a show called The Good Doctor, which i (and a lot of people have) just found out about, but it's already had SIX seasons! :psyduck:

We are certain this isn't from Whitest Kids U Know? Does this clip cut just before it zooms out to Trevor Moore in a boardroom going "Eh? Ehhh?"

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Big Walker told me I have AIDS energy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CJacobs posted:

We are certain this isn't from Whitest Kids U Know? Does this clip cut just before it zooms out to Trevor Moore in a boardroom going "Eh? Ehhh?"

we're pretty sure since the memes are coming from other scenes with acting just as bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV1tCG1hi7M

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Westerns also work the same way and were a fundamentally formative genre in US culture which still has a lot of ramifications all throughout the modern era. Eg: that whole 'The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun' mentality and everything associated with it
God drat it the Great Man talk is just making me angry about star wars again. we didn't see Finn lead/help a stormtrooper revolt, where he leads the charge at first but only to slip into the crowd and be part of the crowd surging forward. Like, imagine a scene where he is leading and then is caught in the middle of the pack and then he decides to let go of his ego and just meld. he's not a jedi, he'll never be a hero, but that's ok, he's part of something greater and its a greater good god drat i hate star wars

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

It reminds me of that 360 game, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, where a writer was brought on to fix the initial script - in the original script there was a scene where Monkey deliberately killed another slave in cold blood instead of helping him up off of a ledge that he was hanging from - the developers thought that that made him look like a badass, but the writer's take was that it made him seem like "A bit of a oval office"

The developers were probably right in that that's what people would take from it, considering God of War and other games like that.

Also I'm not sure Die Hard belongs on that list since John McClane's not a tortured genius rear end in a top hat. He's suppose to be a skilled everyman, a bit cynical but a good guy.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

holy loving poo poo:

https://twitter.com/SpecialPuppy1/status/1656008054314246144

and 118 episodes :lmao:

Mr Interweb has a new favorite as of 10:32 on May 10, 2023

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah goons and internet people really need to wake up and realize that what's popular in their bubbles ain't poo poo in actual numbers. Terrestrial cable is alive and bigger than all the poo poo you like put together.

The only thing that I question is how many of those are actual viewers and how many are being used as white noise machines. Oh wait, it doesn't even matter because the advertising machine can't tell the difference!

Lampsacus posted:

God drat it the Great Man talk is just making me angry about star wars again. we didn't see Finn lead/help a stormtrooper revolt, where he leads the charge at first but only to slip into the crowd and be part of the crowd surging forward. Like, imagine a scene where he is leading and then is caught in the middle of the pack and then he decides to let go of his ego and just meld. he's not a jedi, he'll never be a hero, but that's ok, he's part of something greater and its a greater good god drat i hate star wars
It is hilarious that a fanservice riff on Lone Wolf and Cub got so much praise solely because it had the balls to ask "What if a Star Wars protagonist wasn't part of the 3 royal bloodlines we've established?"

Perestroika posted:

The extra hosed up thing about The Good Doctor is that partway through, there's an episode featuring another (undiagnosed) autistic character, and his portrayal actually mostly works. He's got the habits and minor ticks, but is actually written as a person first and an autist second. Then of course the episode ends, the production learns nothing, and the main character remains a massive caricature stumbling from one meltdown to the next.

e: Fun fact: That character is played by Christian Clemenson, who previously played a different autistic character in Boston Legal. And while that portrayal was still fairly stereotypical (on account of airing in like 2005), it sure was a drat sight better than The loving Good Doctor.
That show does so much damage to autism PR. It's loving ridiculous.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Lampsacus posted:

I did get a lol from ep 9 that they left in all the ‘stormtroopers are kidnapped as children and brainwashed’ setup for a rebellion… then didn’t do it but showed the heroes cutting them down en masse instead.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Funny how there's a great disturbance in the Force as though millions of voices cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced when Alderaan blows up, but Luke Skywalker murders hundreds of thousands of sentient beings when he blows up the Death Star and never has so much of a twinge.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Because Phineas and Ferb evacuated all the civilian staff.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ro5s posted:

I did get a lol from ep 9 that they left in all the ‘stormtroopers are kidnapped as children and brainwashed’ setup for a rebellion… then didn’t do it but showed the heroes cutting them down en masse instead.

It was such a terrible and plain weird choice to first go "Look, there's a whole bunch of rebellious stormtroopers!" and then just a few minutes later completely gently caress it up with "they all escaped their conditioning only because they were touched by the force". It teased an interesting popular uprising angle, but nah it just turns out that these stormtroopers were basically all handpicked by providence to deserve to live, while all the rest remain faceless cannon fodder. Motherfucker just can't not write a Chosen Ones plot.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Would have made a black man the hero instead of the Chosen White One.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Breaking Bad is a bad example because it was famously unpopular until it blew up on Netflix. I think half its viewers didn’t even know it was a cable show until the last season.

Succession is the better one people keep using—the most popular show on Twitter and in the TV recap corner of the internet but its most watched episode got like 2.5 million.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Mad Hamish posted:

Funny how there's a great disturbance in the Force as though millions of voices cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced when Alderaan blows up, but Luke Skywalker murders hundreds of thousands of sentient beings when he blows up the Death Star and never has so much of a twinge.

Even the omnipresent life energy of the cosmos doesn't care about Nazis getting killed.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The Breaking Bad to Good Place is really interesting to me because, I definitely know people who like The Good Place but

wait, The Good Doctor?? I've never heard of this at all wtf

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
People just learning that these shows exist is also a great indicator of who does or doesn't watch football, because most NFL games are on the big three networks and these shows get promoted relentlessly during them. It's a peek into an alternate universe several times a game. The Good Doctor also has The Bachelor as a lead-in, which is probably even more popular while also being completely goon-unfriendly.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Good Doctor is an American remake of a k drama from a decade ago

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Alaois posted:

Is that original K drama also related to that k drama show I see on...either Hulu or Netflix, about the Korean attorney who has autism? "Amazing Attorney Woo" or something like that?

Is there just a weird swath of Korean shows about person doing prestigious [X] job, but with autism?!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I watch football every Sunday and like to think I'm on top of most pop culture but I've never heard of the Good Doctor. My mind is blown that a show this popular somehow missed me.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I watch football every Sunday and like to think I'm on top of most pop culture but I've never heard of the Good Doctor. My mind is blown that a show this popular somehow missed me.

if you only watch football on sunday that would explain it, its an ABC show so you'd need to watch Monday Night Football to see ads for it

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is that original K drama also related to that k drama show I see on...either Hulu or Netflix, about the Korean attorney who has autism? "Amazing Attorney Woo" or something like that?

Is there just a weird swath of Korean shows about person doing prestigious [X] job, but with autism?!

No, they aren't related nut there's a good hakf dozen of them now. It sells pretty well.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Alaois posted:

if you only watch football on sunday that would explain it, its an ABC show so you'd need to watch Monday Night Football to see ads for it

Also not every MNF game is on ABC, they only had like 6-7 games during the regular season and like one playoff game, so it’s easy to miss, more so if you’re watching the same telecast on ESPN or the Manningcasts that ESPN2 does intermittently through the season.

Besides, commercial breaks in primetime games are for checking your phone and shitposting in the GDT.

RedZone and Scott Hanson 4 ever

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Alaois posted:

it was also adapted by the guy who created House, because he only knows how to make shows about rude doctors apparently

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

it was also adapted by the guy who created House, because he only knows how to make shows about rude doctors apparently

Horrible rapist and pediphile Bryan singer?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ambitious Spider posted:

No the other producer, David Shore.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

People just learning that these shows exist is also a great indicator of who does or doesn't watch football, because most NFL games are on the big three networks and these shows get promoted relentlessly during them. It's a peek into an alternate universe several times a game. The Good Doctor also has The Bachelor as a lead-in, which is probably even more popular while also being completely goon-unfriendly.

It's also not a telling metric when comparing a cable show to a network show.

For example Community, a show constantly on the verge of cancelation outperformed 95% of cable shows until the last season.

There's outliers of course, The Walking Dead was the highest rated show on TV for several seasons beating out even Sunday Night Football.

It's a fracturing of the market thing, the highest rated show of the 90s, ER, wouldn't have lasted a season if they put the same ratings even 10 years earlier.

Macdeo Lurjtux has a new favorite as of 17:22 on May 10, 2023

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Ambitious Spider posted:

Ah yes aka my high school's most prestigious alumni

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Blue Moonlight posted:

My wife and I have started turning on Game Show Network at lunchtime just for background noise, and “Deal or No Deal” was a loving garbage fire.

We’ve got hits like:
  • Making 26 women stand around as eye candy
  • Contestants trying to flirt with the women
  • Making fun of contestants - notable examples include poking fun at unusual names, suggesting people with southern accents are stupid, and fat shaming (a contestant of size was offered a free car, but they brought out a Smart car, and said he could only have it if he could fit in the car and shut the door - the guy was also a creepy flirt though, so…)
  • Bizarre excuses to dress the women up in skimpy nurse outfits, bikinis, etc.

But on top of all that - because there’s literally no skill to play “Deal or No Deal”, contestants were often chosen based on how much empathy they inspire. Plenty of people down on their luck. So you, the audience, are often literally watching someone decide whether or not they’ll take a deal that could meaningfully improve their life, or give it up for the chance to make more money than they might ever hope to earn.

That gross sort of financial voyeurism seems to have made a comeback on the million-dollar-plinko “The Wall.”
Come to Australia, we have 2222 episodes of it.
Two thousand, two hundred and twenty two.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Croccers posted:

Come to Australia, we have 2222 episodes of it.
Two thousand, two hundred and twenty two.

Say it properly, diw or no diw

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Breaking Bad is a bad example because it was famously unpopular until it blew up on Netflix. I think half its viewers didn’t even know it was a cable show until the last season.

did it really take that long for breaking bad to become popular? i mean, that's like 4-5 years of it being on the air before the masses finding out about it. and even then, while it did get much bigger numbers by its final season, Good Doctor would still be comfortably beating it, with the exception of the finale.

and speaking of the finale, i never got why it was that high. i mean, it was getting less than half those numbers for most of its run. why would people suddenly want to show up for the finale? seems like that would be very counterproductive and VERY confusing

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mr Interweb posted:

and speaking of the finale, i never got why it was that high. i mean, it was getting less than half those numbers for most of its run. why would people suddenly want to show up for the finale? seems like that would be very counterproductive and VERY confusing
Sequels always outsell originals (didn't MGS2 sell literally double the first?) So I guess it's that but for TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

did it really take that long for breaking bad to become popular? i mean, that's like 4-5 years of it being on the air before the masses finding out about it. and even then, while it did get much bigger numbers by its final season, Good Doctor would still be comfortably beating it, with the exception of the finale.

It was one of AMC's first original shows and had a long leash because it had critical acclaim (see also Mad Men, which peaked at 3.5 million). Got on Netflix before season 4, became a word of mouth sensation, so by the time season 5 comes around it's appointment television and you had to watch it live to avoid spoilers. That final run was my senior year of college and basically everyone I knew would scramble to find a place to watch it every Sunday night, then basically have group therapy because it was so stressful!