Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

mcmagic posted:

Even if the map is new it still looks the same as BoTW and as another poster said, it started out as DLC for BoTW. Of course there is going to be a ton of new stuff to do but the skeleton of the game isn't going to be new and groundbreaking.

I'm 100% sure I will play the gently caress of this game and love it though.

I don't know why you keep holding this torch. It's such a weird take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

mcmagic posted:

Even if the map is new it still looks the same as BoTW and as another poster said, it started out as DLC for BoTW.

majora's mask started out as an expansion for OoT but the N64 Disc Drive flopped so they made it into a separate game instead. starting out as DLC in the concept stage doesn't really mean much

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Costco Meatballs posted:

It really, really does not.
I just meant the graphics and animations. Not the whole game. I've watched pretty much all the gameplay videos that have been released.

Inzombiac posted:

Fair enough. I'll shut up till I play it lol

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 10, 2023

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Groundbreaking sucks. BotW did the groundbreaking so TotK could build Six Flags

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Having missed out on 90’s Zelda, is MM better than OOT

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Play OOT then MM.

MM is the dark sequel that is best appreciated after playing OOT…IMO.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i dont remember who posted it ITT but someone said that the Island Lobster Shirt dramatically increases your speed on a raft. I tried that today and what the gently caress :psyduck: why wasn't this the default speed, this loving rules.

other poo poo i never knew: i apparently missed a non-shrine quest of kass's, and when i went back to Rito village, he was there with his kids, playing along while they sang to the town song. it was super loving cute.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Steve Yun posted:

I can't think of a game that made my brain explode more than the first time i played OOT. It's one of the most lifechanging experiences of my gaming life like when I first played doom.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Steve Yun posted:

OOT will always be the groundbreaking classic. MM is more of a cult classic that people appreciate for doing something different with the time loop and really weird atmosphere.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

It's different

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Steve Yun posted:

Depends who you ask, but MM won't hit the same if you haven't played OOT. If you're only going to play one of them, play OOT.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

And if you're going to play either, get the remasters on the 3ds. Or whatever that ship of harkinian pc hack is for OOT.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 10, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Get ship of Harkinian. The 3DS releases were trash

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Good-Natured Filth posted:

And if you're going to play either, get the remasters on the 3ds. Or whatever that ship of harkinian pc hack is.
you should absolutely not play majora's mask 3d unless you have a modded 3ds and can therefore revert like 90% of the pointless and lovely changes they made to it

ship of harkinian is pretty cool for OoT though.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Interrupting this conversation because what the gently caress

https://twitter.com/mfrost11/status/1656046091891032082?s=46&t=-3btIhdWFD5M3u9M3Xo4WQ

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BotW is still the only 3D Zelda game I've completed, but I had quite a bit of fun with it. Not sure I would want to go back and play the older ones that don't have BotW's systems.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

wow that makes so much sense

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Steve Yun posted:

maybe, idk

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I think MM is better but it needs to be played as a supplement to OoT to get the most out of it

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica

mark frost consulted on links awakening

well that's news. holy.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Miyamoto has been speaking backwards this whole time!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wow, Bob, wow!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I knew the cast of Link's Awakening was inspired by Twin Peaks but they actually talked to Frost? wild

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

holy poo poo

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It’s hard to overstate what a huge cultural phenomenon Twin Peaks was in Japan

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Wow I am a major twin peaks freak, I love it

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

exploring typhlo ruins because we know that it gets lit up in TotK from trailers, and it occurred to me halfway through that i didn't need a torch, because the master cycle comes with a built in headlamp.

this place is unfathomably creepier when you can actually see a reasonable distance!

(also because the developers only intended for you to see like 5 feet in front of you at any given time, you can actually see wolves and deer and keese pop into existence when riding around, which is a little funny. also there's a lot of spots with really low res textures for the same reason. feels like im playing a low budget indie horror game.)

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

exploring typhlo ruins because we know that it gets lit up in TotK from trailers, and it occurred to me halfway through that i didn't need a torch, because the master cycle comes with a built in headlamp.

this place is unfathomably creepier when you can actually see a reasonable distance!

(also because the developers only intended for you to see like 5 feet in front of you at any given time, you can actually see wolves and deer and keese pop into existence when riding around, which is a little funny. also there's a lot of spots with really low res textures for the same reason. feels like im playing a low budget indie horror game.)

Ah, I see the Zonai were devout Gonzo worshippers

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Steve Yun posted:

It’s hard to overstate what a huge cultural phenomenon Twin Peaks was in Japan

for sure, but how many talk to Mark Frost and ask him for ideas? like is Swery stumbling on this tweet and yelling "YOU MEAN THAT WAS AN OPTION??"

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://twitter.com/DanbyDraws/status/1656350870798495744?s=20

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Just posting to say thanks for all the spoilers in the nonspoiler thread.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Loucks posted:

Just posting to say thanks for all the spoilers in the nonspoiler thread.

people have been really good, actually! I haven't touched the spoiler thread and have stuck here instead and feel unsullied and pure

there's been some basic mechanics answers, stuff you'll see in reviews tomorrow, but even those have been spoilered

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Discussing specifics of NPCs, for example, is a spoiler. But it’s fine. As release approaches people who pirated the game are going to be less able to resist running their mouths. I’ll just gently caress off for a month or two.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
[spoiler]zzelda

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

he's a chronic new york jets fan

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

mcmagic posted:

Even if the map is new it still looks the same as BoTW and as another poster said, it started out as DLC for BoTW. Of course there is going to be a ton of new stuff to do but the skeleton of the game isn't going to be new and groundbreaking.

I'm 100% sure I will play the gently caress of this game and love it though.

Football season can’t start soon enough

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Blaziken386 posted:

you should absolutely not play majora's mask 3d unless you have a modded 3ds and can therefore revert like 90% of the pointless and lovely changes they made to it

ship of harkinian is pretty cool for OoT though.

:wrong:

Majora’s Mask 3D changes are all good except for one: the extremely lame change to Zora swimming.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

be nice to mcmagic, he means well

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I mean, have you ever played Link’s Awakening? It’s weird and dreamlike and kind of eerie. I can’t think of a much better description of it than “what if Zelda was more like Twin Peaks.” I’m not remotely shocked to learn that Twin Peaks was (apparently) an actual inspiration.

Edit: I initially missed that the tweet was from Mark loving Frost, because I have blue checkmark withdrawal blindness and still read every non-blue account as “some rear end in a top hat”.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
mark frost and david lynch both give off the same air of good-natured befuddlement