Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
IIRC when I looked at it a few years ago, the AZ-900 is intended as an introduction to cloud topics and aimed at newbies/sales people. The Azure Admin Associate (AZ-104 now...?) is where the applied engineering knowledge starts

Granted, I haven't looked at the Azure cert path since 2019 so take that as you will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah that's entirely what it is, basic "What is IaaS?" and "Azure offers what kind of active directory?" questions.

I had originally figured that's what I was going to be seeing on the exam. But the way some people were describing it elsewhere, I was worried that I underestimated how much I'd need to study and how hard it'd be. But nope, easy as hell if you have any basic cloud knowledge.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I took AZ-900 with no prep while on muscle relaxers for a pulled groin

I passed but it was really, really close

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

tehinternet posted:

Sounds like you’re afraid of failing and trying to rationalize not taking the chance due to that fear. You got this. Even if you don’t pass it’s experience you can apply for the next shot. No disrespect meant — good luck, friend.

Thank you (and sorry for the late response). Yes I am afraid of failing, and tbh it would be much easier to just find another job, but I'll never be able to do what I want w/o the CCIE (move to Europe)

I do have this.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
Passed my Network+! And I have an interview for a remote job. So tired from doing the studying sprint, but overall, it was an excellent day.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Vampire Panties posted:

Thank you (and sorry for the late response). Yes I am afraid of failing, and tbh it would be much easier to just find another job, but I'll never be able to do what I want w/o the CCIE (move to Europe)

I do have this.

10/10, good on ya. Best of luck!

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
Just as an FYI, MS is no longer offering the voucher for the free AZ-900 certification exam after attending the virtual training day. The virtual training is still free, but it is no longer a path to a free cert :(

I'm in the Azure virtual training right now and someone asked about this in the chat. Here is the official response:

"Hi there, due to recent programmatic changes, Microsoft is no longer offering free certification exams with Microsoft Virtual Training Days, but learners can still attend these valuable training sessions at no cost. When you feel you are prepared, you can register for Microsoft Certification exams on Microsoft Learn."

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
I know a lot of certs have changed recently; if I wanted to start working on an A+, where should I start?

I know enough about computers to get my way through work, and I've dabbled in Linux and other things, but I'm not an expert by any means

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The Mattybee posted:

I know a lot of certs have changed recently; if I wanted to start working on an A+, where should I start?

I know enough about computers to get my way through work, and I've dabbled in Linux and other things, but I'm not an expert by any means

https://www.youtube.com/@professormesser/playlists

Professor Messer is always touted as one of the better ones. I would start with their course.

Are you already in an IT role? If you have a real deal actual IT position an A+ isn't going to have much value at this point. I would start identifying what route you want to head down and work towards more advanced certifications. AWS\Azure certs are good. Your CCNA for networking and your CISSP\CEH\others for security and the like.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 26, 2023

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I did the trifecta thanks to his videos. He's dry but very concise and you can definitely speed up the audio a bit to get through it.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

George H.W. oval office posted:

https://www.youtube.com/@professormesser/playlists

Professor Messer is always touted as one of the better ones. I would start with their course.

Are you already in an IT role? If you have a real deal actual IT position an A+ isn't going to have much value at this point. I would start identifying what route you want to head down and work towards more advanced certifications. AWS\Azure certs are good. Your CCNA for networking and your CISSP\CEH\others for security and the like.

I troubleshoot TV issues which sometimes but are not always IPTVs; my official position is Tier 2 Technical Support, I think, so I don't know how much value it will have!

Nor do I know where I want to go yet!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The Mattybee posted:

I troubleshoot TV issues which sometimes but are not always IPTVs; my official position is Tier 2 Technical Support, I think, so I don't know how much value it will have!

Nor do I know where I want to go yet!

Go ahead with it then. An A+\Network+\Security+ along with that title should absolutely get you into the position to work at a MSP where you'll at least be a real computer toucher and not a sorta one working on TVs.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Just get the network + if you’re tying to get real computer toucher jobs. Nobody actually cares about the A+ and it’s more expensive than the network + because it’s two tests plus that means there’s more chances to fail.

The prep is useful for becoming familiar with basics like ram if you don’t know that already but it’s real utility is just getting you past HR screens to interview with the guys who actually understand computers which network+ also does for half the cost.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

What's an ok course/book/practice exam for net+ these days?

I'm technically certified unless they got rid of my lifetime one forever ago so I don't think I need to actually take a test, I just want to brush up on poo poo i forgot/learn what changed/chase off impostor syndrome since I ended up working in IT anyway

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Shugojin posted:

I'm technically certified unless they got rid of my lifetime one forever ago so I don't think I need to actually take a test, I just want to brush up on poo poo i forgot/learn what changed/chase off impostor syndrome since I ended up working in IT anyway

imposter syndrome never goes away. nobody understands computers. IT people just don't understand them least.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I mean yeah but I want to prove to myself that I at least know some things

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
whats the best value-for-money infosec cert now

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

tehinternet posted:

Sounds like you’re afraid of failing and trying to rationalize not taking the chance due to that fear. You got this. Even if you don’t pass it’s experience you can apply for the next shot. No disrespect meant — good luck, friend.

yeah :same:

I'm terrified of paying 150-300 bux and then getting the fail screen and then all the work I have done thus far will have been totally for nothing. The information expires before I'm even done studying, before I've even finished the chapter, let alone after I've done the test and thought I was through.

Palladium posted:

whats the best value-for-money infosec cert now

I'm looking at the CISSP reqs now and lol lmao. This is what terrifies me about certs the most, I need experience in order to get the cert I need in order to get the experience. I got Security+ thinking that plus experience doing support was worth anything :wrong:, the only interview I got I totally bombed and I froze up too. The Security+ expired without ever having helped me at all, and to get something better I need work experience in the field I'm trying to enter in the first place.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Shugojin posted:

James Messer has a free video course which is what I used alongside Jason Dion's practice exams (they regularly go on sale a couple times a month for 16 or so dollars).

I used a phone App by ABC learning for general quizzing and learning but it feels like it's missing some of the stuff that was on the n10-008. Messer's video course is pretty overview heavy, but he also does these monthly study groups that you can go back and follow through that I think are pretty helpful.

All in all my study materials cost me like 28 bucks or something like that.

E: though if you have the GFL cert there's probably plenty on the ABC learning app that's helpful.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I have a Net+, and think Im going to get an AWS CCP next. Is there any particular material you all would recommend?

Ive got tier 1 experience now (a little over a year) and want to start preparing to advance elsewhere.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
What’s the best practice test option for Net+/Sec+?

I’m about to graduate from school, have my first real IT job lined up, and want to get some certs over the next year or so - I figure I probably have enough knowledge to get like… 60-70% right on either test if I just went in and took it blind, but that would be stupid. But I also don’t really want to go through a course/textbook from scratch and lose focus because I’m “learning” poo poo I already know. I figure the best way to avoid that is to take a practice test or two and identify actual study areas to double back and learn properly.

Any particularly good sources for that?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Nothing like finally ponying up and paying for Boson test exams to then realize I know next to nothing about modern Cisco WLC poo poo due to being UniFi4Lyfe for the last like 8 years. Whoops.

At least I didn’t find out via an actual test.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Chevy Slyme posted:

I’m about to graduate from school, have my first real IT job lined up, and want to get some certs over the next year or so - I figure I probably have enough knowledge to get like… 60-70% right on either test if I just went in and took it blind, but that would be stupid. But I also don’t really want to go through a course/textbook from scratch and lose focus because I’m “learning” poo poo I already know. I figure the best way to avoid that is to take a practice test or two and identify actual study areas to double back and learn properly.

I was in your exact situation before I took the sec+ and all I did was watch Prof Messer for two weeks, make vocab flashcards, and took practices tests before I took it. it's surprisingly easy. no comment on the net+, but I can't imagine it's much different given the difficulty hierarchy.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

:siren: Free MS Certs are back :siren:

Pulled from Slickdeals:

quote:

Earn free Microsoft certification voucher after completing one challenge.

The time has come again! Against all odds, Microsoft is giving a free certification voucher again for this Microsoft Build.

When does it start? May 23, 2023, at 4:00 PM UTC
When does it end? June 20, 2023, at 4:00 PM UTC
When will you get the voucher? June 30, 2023
When will the voucher expire? September 27, 2023

Can you take the exam later than September 27? No and extensions are not possible under any circumstances

What are the rules? Cloud Skills Challenge Rules

Which exams are available?

AI-900: Microsoft Azure AI Fundamentals
AZ-104: Microsoft Azure Administrator
AZ-204: Developing Solutions for Microsoft Azure
AZ-305: Designing Microsoft Azure Infrastructure Solutions
AZ-400: Designing and Implementing Microsoft DevOps Solutions
DP-420: Designing and Implementing Cloud-Native Applications Using Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB
PL-400: Microsoft Power Platform Developer

Challenge Registration link

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/c...social_wwl

I did both my AZ-900 and AZ-104 for free through the MS challenges, it's a good program.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

I was in your exact situation before I took the sec+ and all I did was watch Prof Messer for two weeks, make vocab flashcards, and took practices tests before I took it. it's surprisingly easy. no comment on the net+, but I can't imagine it's much different given the difficulty hierarchy.

Yes this is the way. Sec+ is like the best easiness to value ratio cert there is. Every other one I’ve tried has been harder.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Yeah I'm currently in the middle of doing a three week cram for security+.

There's a broad range of objectives (Messer's video course is about 176 videos of information and there's about 1100 total subjects on the objective list), but so much of the information repeats in different ways or is mirrored, so the number of concepts you're exploring actually feels quite small. If you know how to use a next gen firewall, you basically understand things like a WAF or a SWG inherently.

Chevy Slyme posted:

Take a look at the exam objectives on compTIA and pick apart things you feel like you know very little about IMO, and then finding which of Messer's videos has that overview of information will help as he lists them all in order of the exam objectives. I think that will help you mostly stay focused on new information as you learn at your own pace.

Susat fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 10, 2023

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Susat posted:

Yeah I'm currently in the middle of doing a three week cram for security+.

There's a broad range of objectives (Messer's video course is about 176 videos of information and there's about 1100 total subjects on the objective list), but so much of the information repeats in different ways or is mirrored, so the number of concepts you're exploring actually feels quite small. If you know how to use a next gen firewall, you basically understand things like a WAF or a SWG inherently.

Take a look at the exam objectives on compTIA and pick apart things you feel like you know very little about IMO, and then finding which of Messer's videos has that overview of information will help as he lists them all in order of the exam objectives. I think that will help you mostly stay focused on new information as you learn at your own pace.

All of these replies I have gotten are good advice but I still wanna take practice tests where are the good practice tests at, as opposed to the bad practice tests. I do not trust Google for a subject as SEO landmined as this.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Chevy Slyme posted:

All of these replies I have gotten are good advice but I still wanna take practice tests where are the good practice tests at, as opposed to the bad practice tests. I do not trust Google for a subject as SEO landmined as this.

Messer sells a test handbook that was pretty great. three tests, and if you can get above a 90 on each you are gonna pass.

I would take test 1, grade it, then create flashcards on the ones I got wrong and the ones I was uncertain about. studied those cards, memorized them, then took test 2 and repeat.

at the end of the three tests I reviewed all the flashcards in one sitting, and from the three tests back to back.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Chevy Slyme posted:

Jason Dion's practice tests are decent, they go on sale a couple times a month for 6 for about 16 bucks, the main benefit of his tests are the Udemy interface being pretty nice and the breakdown of your weakest category at the end of the practice test.

Messer's are comparable if not a bit better (and less :words:), but you get a PDF- One that has links to his individual videos discussing a subject and links straight to the correct answer inside the PDF, and you have to grade yourself so it's a little less convenient.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021

FCKGW posted:

Pulled from Slickdeals:

I did both my AZ-900 and AZ-104 for free through the MS challenges, it's a good program.

Thanks for this, just registered.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

What are these challenges? They're all developer stuff but I don't have the coding background to code anything substantial. Is it just a learning module or is there a deliverable, and does the module provide enough instruction to produce that deliverable?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It’s usually just a couple modules from the entire MS Learn course. Last time I did it I just had to complete 3 of the 10 or so modules.

There’s no hard deliverables, just an indicator that you read the material and did the small quizzes at the end.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

FCKGW posted:

It’s usually just a couple modules from the entire MS Learn course. Last time I did it I just had to complete 3 of the 10 or so modules.

There’s no hard deliverables, just an indicator that you read the material and did the small quizzes at the end.

Oh so it's like the Ignite promotion they did.

That's cool, it would be kind of absurd if MS was sitting there grading people's code or something like that.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

FCKGW posted:

Pulled from Slickdeals:

I did my Az-104 through this as well, what's the likelihood I can cram for the the 305 within the timeframe?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The names of those first four Azure certifications are nearly indistinguishable from each other. I have no idea why MS is so bad at naming things. ACloudGuru seems to suggest that, as an experienced IT person whose main focus is networking but little cloud experience, AZ-900 is probably where I should start. Is that correct?

EDIT: Oh, that's not on the list, it's AI-900.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

guppy posted:

The names of those first four Azure certifications are nearly indistinguishable from each other. I have no idea why MS is so bad at naming things. ACloudGuru seems to suggest that, as an experienced IT person whose main focus is networking but little cloud experience, AZ-900 is probably where I should start. Is that correct?

EDIT: Oh, that's not on the list, it's AI-900.

Az-900 seems to be geared towards people who need familiarity with the platform but not to administrate it, you probably would be better just getting 104. Your network experience will be helpful because there are objectives about virtual networking and basic network concepts

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

skooma512 posted:

Az-900 seems to be geared towards people who need familiarity with the platform but not to administrate it, you probably would be better just getting 104. Your network experience will be helpful because there are objectives about virtual networking and basic network concepts

Okay, thanks.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hey just got my network+ today after doing 12 years of corporate IT

woooooo

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

skooma512 posted:

Yeah I took it last month and it's pretty basic. Mostly "Do you know what a cloud is? Do you know what differentiates Azure from other offerings? Do you know what Saas is?" kinda questions.

Honestly the MS-900 was harder, and I can't exactly explain why except the questions there felt a lot more in depth.

Anyways, I might do this challenge to snag a AZ-104 voucher.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

hey just got my network+ today after doing 12 years of corporate IT

woooooo

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

jumping right into security+ and im glad i did network+ first already based on the first couple sections