Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

there is also now Actual Advance Wars available

Urgghh I'm only halfway through AW1. Friday is coming fast...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Not fast enough.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Choose Max and you’ll blaze through the rest of the game

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Binding of Isaac is the only single player game I've put more than a hundred hours in, it owns, think I'll go play it now

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

In anticipation for ToTK, I’m playing LTTP for the first time. It’s cool! I’m trying to play it without looking anything up, the only thing I can use as a resource is the original instruction manual.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I bought the Switch Online game voucher deal. Obviously one game is gonna be Tears of the Kingdom, but what should I use my other voucher on?

Thinking of:
Any of the Xenoblade games (I have never played any of the Xenoblade games, will I miss out on a lot if I just buy the 3rd one?)
Any of the Fire Emblem games(Only played the GBA one which I bounced off, but willing to give the series another try)
Mario Strikers
Mario Golf

I already own most of the other major titles (Smash bros, Mario Kart, etc)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Away all Goats posted:

I bought the Switch Online game voucher deal. Obviously one game is gonna be Tears of the Kingdom, but what should I use my other voucher on?

Thinking of:
Any of the Xenoblade games (I have never played any of the Xenoblade games, will I miss out on a lot if I just buy the 3rd one?)
Any of the Fire Emblem games(Only played the GBA one which I bounced off, but willing to give the series another try)
Mario Strikers
Mario Golf

Among those choices, Golf. Don't get Strikers.

However I'd consider Advance Wars if I were you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
all the xenoblade games are connected and 2 and 3 come with robust Complete Editions that aren’t covered by the voucher

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

mdemone posted:

Among those choices, Golf. Don't get Strikers.

However I'd consider Advance Wars if I were you.

I was considering Advance Wars but I already put dozens, maybe hundreds, of hours in the GBA versions

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You could always save it Nintendo might have a surprise release for the holiday you’d want. Boring suggestion I know

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

hatty posted:

You could always save it Nintendo might have a surprise release for the holiday you’d want. Boring suggestion I know

I was under the impression the list of eligible games is static but if not that is a good suggestion

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Away all Goats posted:

Thinking of:
Mario Strikers
Mario Golf

Pikmin 4

But if you're really interested in the Xenoblade series, start with the first. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition is one the greatest RPG's of all time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also Kirby

Mega64
May 23, 2008

motherfucker 30 loving hours left until the Switch Series Finale

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I wonder what QoL features they're going to sell this time

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Mega64 posted:

motherfucker 30 loving hours left until the Switch Series Finale

I bet we'll still get a steady trickle of notable or high profile indie games for a good while maybe even years!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Palmtree Panic posted:

Pikmin 4

But if you're really interested in the Xenoblade series, start with the first. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition is one the greatest RPG's of all time.

2 and 3 are better than it though

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
2016 - 2023
Here lies nintendo switch
He never scored

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

best buy just messaged me saying my totk collector's edition is ready to be shipped.

it's happening...

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Got a call from the Gamestop that they'd be doing early events and some kind of Thursday evening release -- sounded like maybe late afternoon.

But we moved Mother's Day from Sunday to Thursday so we could play more Zelda :negative:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Away all Goats posted:

I was considering Advance Wars but I already put dozens, maybe hundreds, of hours in the GBA versions

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

An Actual Princess posted:

2 and 3 are better than it though

*nods* xenoblade 2..... Goated

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
xenoblade 2 is a 120-hour game and the first 30 hours or so are a dantean trek through intensifying degrees of misery

i came out of it very positive overall but christ almighty those first four chapters

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Oxxidation posted:

xenoblade 2 is a 120-hour game and the first 30 hours or so are a dantean trek through intensifying degrees of misery

i came out of it very positive overall but christ almighty those first four chapters

I’ve never seen another game try as hard to keep all the fun stuff away from you for so long

At least not one that actually ends up being good, anyway

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I'm so excited for Friday!

I'm going to finally buy Cult of the Lamb :toot:

When I go in to pick up my preorder copy of TotK :v:

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
There is a great game in Xenoblade 2, it just trips over itself so much it can't exceed good, and it has to stand against DE and 3 so it looks much worse in comparison.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Oxxidation posted:

I only made it to the point you meet Pyra, but the whole game feels more like an interactive movie up to that point. Then my switch died and I lost my game save and now I have to start again. Except now my switch has died again and I have to send it back to Nintendo. (Well, not DEAD, but the usb port won't work with controllers and /or the ethernet port on the dock. Again)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It is much better than xb1 which is a boring rear end fail game.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Why play Xenoblade when you can play Dragon Quest?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Zoran posted:

I’ve never seen another game try as hard to keep all the fun stuff away from you for so long

At least not one that actually ends up being good, anyway

I think in xenoblade chronicles you don't get mechs until like 90 hours or something

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

My TOTK CE isn't arriving via Amazon until Tuesday RIP me

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

FlapYoJacks posted:

i can play both thanks to the power of the free market

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It is much better than xb1 which is a boring rear end fail game.

this OP. i didn't finish 1 because i kept mysteriously falling asleep when i played it

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FlapYoJacks posted:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

boring rear end fail game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i got to the prison island and stopped in XB1 because i got bored of it

i did play all of Torna, but never played 2. i played all of XBX: the best one

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Alcamoth to Prison Island is the traditional XB1 burnout point, because you usually have been pushing hard up till that point and suddenly it's a wide area with lots of side quests spread way out. The music is very sleepy and the pace really drops. There's some court intrigue but no immediate payoff in sight.

It's not terrible but the fires of revenge aren't burning so hot.

Right past that point poo poo ramps up again, off to Valak and good exploration/quests/plot beats with bangers playing in the background.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The 7th Guest posted:

i got to the prison island and stopped in XB1 because i got bored of it

i did play all of Torna, but never played 2. i played all of XBX: the best one

Did you play 3?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Barreft posted:

Did you play 3?
nah i didn't. the biggest problem for me is I can't get into the Xenoblade combat, and that's even after playing through all of X and Torna. i just don't love the MMO-style of piano roll cooldown attacks and watching repetitive canned animations. i'd rather it have been more visceral and active to the buttons like an Ys game. i even liked Rogue Galaxy's combat more at the time of the original

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Trying to kill the next couple days getting collectables in The Lost Demon, but the map is such useless garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Xenoblade 1 might be my favorite game ever and I prefer it over the other 2. It's funny because the first time I played it on Wii, I enjoyed the opening but got sidetracked exploring the city and it didn't really click so never made it to the big event early on.

Gave it another shot and was hooked on revenge against the machines. It definitely has some issues but the characters, scenery, and the music make it a world I come back to again and again. Switching the lead character and changing out skills was enough to at least keep combat from being too repetitive.