Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
keychrons dont have any of that bullshit afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

all mid-high end keychrons have programmable microcontrollers with arm cpus, which sounds like the issue here

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh yeah i dont gently caress with those. sixty buck tier is fine

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the older keychrons aren't programmable, but it looks like those are out of stock :\

edit: well, the k3 v2, which is the one i have

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 16, 2023

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

first a question, 65% or 75%? 65% layout is 65-68 keyboards without the function row

i guess 75%? i like the F-keys and pgup/pgdn/home/end, but want the board to be narrow so my mouse isn't in another county

this is great

Jonny 290 posted:

i tried a keychron k3 slim and work computer rejected it as well

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i guess 75%? i like the F-keys and pgup/pgdn/home/end, but want the board to be narrow so my mouse isn't in another county

leopold fc750r - test if it works on your bespoke computer fortress, and then shop for cute keycaps

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

leopold fc750r - test if it works on your bespoke computer fortress, and then shop for cute keycaps

:hmmyes: dimensions 5.2" x 12.4" x 0.63"

:hmmno: Dimensions 5.51" x 14.25" x 1.29"

going to need tickets to visit my mouse after i'm done typing

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

:hmmyes: dimensions 5.2" x 12.4" x 0.63"

:hmmno: Dimensions 5.51" x 14.25" x 1.29"

going to need tickets to visit my mouse after i'm done typing

i don't think you'll have a lot of luck finding nuphy-sized keyboards, if the top dimension is for what i think it is for

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

specifically nuphy sized "dumb" keyboards. like, there's non-rgb vortex race 3, but i'm less confident that it will not have problems with your bastion usb port

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3917

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the government banning bad keyboard layouts is something i can get behind

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i tried a keychron k3 slim and work computer rejected it as well

oooh, it's firmware is flashable regardless of it not being programmable and i forgot that because it was only for a minor tweak

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shaggar posted:

the government banning bad keyboard layouts is something i can get behind

it doesn't ban the layouts, just the good hardware, so if you're a mega pervert and have a lovely keyboard where you can swap the caps you can have whatever hosed up layout you want.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

oooh, it's firmware is flashable regardless of it not being programmable and i forgot that because it was only for a minor tweak

yeah i think anything that can store settings/macros/etc won't work. tragic

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Midjack posted:

it doesn't ban the layouts, just the good hardware, so if you're a mega pervert and have a lovely keyboard where you can swap the caps you can have whatever hosed up layout you want.

i dont think swapping key caps gets you a 65% board. that poo poo is trash and anything that prevents it from working is good even if its unrelated to the actual physical layout.

full size keyb or get out

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lol I’m imiginifn this leading to embedding a teensy into a keyboard to act as a usb device id sanitizer

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

lol I’m imiginifn this leading to embedding a teensy into a keyboard to act as a usb device id sanitizer

get noticed doing that and you get instafired and blacklisted.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

would have a nice keyboard though

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

full size keyb or get out

amen

Midjack posted:

perhaps stop working for the military-industrial complex

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

amen

perhaps stop working for the military-industrial complex

a lot of fedgov deals with pii and other "sensitive but not defense" information and really doesn't like fuckery on the mission critical networks.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Midjack posted:

a lot of fedgov deals with pii and other "sensitive but not defense" information and really doesn't like fuckery on the mission critical networks.

not a refutation of the original point tho

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
yo do u guys want some ~maglev~ switches in your video keebs

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fluxkeyboard/flux-keyboard-the-keyboard-reinvented

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

hello again "jerks"

so i work for the government and have to use a windows computer with no admin privs. the antimalware blocks the keychron and nuphy boards' USB input because ~security~ as they have onboard storage or something. wireless works but it still triggers the nag screen and logs it.

i'm trying to find a kb without onboard storage/usb hub features that won't trigger some IT person to yell at me.

i want ~65% / 75 keys. slim to win
wired
brown or red switches
don't care about gamer LEDs
cute colorful caps a plus

any recommendations?

btw i'm selling that nuphy kb right here!!

why not just not have a keyboard at all? the fact that you want a ~65% keyboard quite plainly shows you don't use it for anything useful anyway.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nudgenudgetilt posted:

we usually did cron jobs with sounds -- hasselhoff songs, klaxons, etc.

i think the most evil we got was the random offset cron job that played gsm interference noise

its spelt corn

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

it’s the same vaporware kickstarter every year i swear to god

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Midjack posted:

it's not "subverting the rules to use an unapproved keyboard", it's "applying advanced security technology to maintain a firewall between keyboard and computer"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it’s the same vaporware kickstarter every year i swear to god

this one at least appears to be going to shows and doing demos so maybe 2023 will be the year of the successful keyboard kickstarter

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kickstarter is nothing but scams anymore. Last week I saw one for a cell phone battery bank that never has to be recharged because it uses a triangular zero-point magnet inside.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sagebrush posted:

Kickstarter is nothing but scams anymore. Last week I saw one for a cell phone battery bank that never has to be recharged because it uses a triangular zero-point magnet inside.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

welp; I'm sold

:hmmyes: hopefully THE TRIANGLE can be harnessed to mine cryptocurrency for nearly-zero energy costs

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

why not just not have a keyboard at all? the fact that you want a ~65% keyboard quite plainly shows you don't use it for anything useful anyway.

while my job is worthless, i must please the management by pressing lots of keys. i only use 65% of them anyway. who needs a second set of numbers? dumb

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
some of my gamer friends are freeeeeaking out over that keyboard and its taking all my self control to not shatter their dreams

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
The display thing is nifty but I bet those caps feel like absolute rear end to type on. Like a mac chiclet board but slippery.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

yeah, i mean i'm sure they and indiegogo still have occasional launches that aren't just a big company being unwilling to conduct a focus group

but it really feels like there's very little there to recommend; even half the "real" projects are just putting stickers on some white label device currently available on alibaba (see also: etsy, amazon, etc)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kickstarter still has a ton of indie TTRPG stuff that actually ships

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

not a refutation of the original point tho

fair, but just because your network hate devices it doesn't own doesn't necessarily mean you're a defense contractor.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mechanical-keyboards-will-make-yours-seem-really-unsatisfying-91c77c0b

making the bigtime.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

still true even if you have mechanical keyboards

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

the people making the replica model fs now have a 104-key version, a full at layout, buckling springs, nkro...

...500 dollars :negative:

handoferis
Dec 25, 2022

Woolie Wool posted:

the people making the replica model fs now have a 104-key version, a full at layout, buckling springs, nkro...

...500 dollars :negative:

Be aware that ellipse/Joe basically acts like a used car salesman. Plenty of F62/F77 he shipped out had significant QC issues and his method of "supporting" customers is to just punt them at a forum thread and let the community deal with it. Not really $500 service, imo.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I guess Cerakey shipped but I didn’t fill out my backer survey for some reason so probably a couple of weeks until I get mine. excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Subjunctive posted:

I guess Cerakey shipped but I didn’t fill out my backer survey for some reason so probably a couple of weeks until I get mine. excited!

I'm hoping I finally get my stretch goal keys so I have actual spacebars for my Keychron Q10. Love the caps though.